Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Strimmer is on .....

Jury told they will judge 'what is true'

Prosecutor Stuart Trimmer is now starting his closing speech to jurors. Addressing jurors, he says: “We’re very close to the point when it really is up to you. Stewart’s guilt or innocence is determined by you. “You will judge what is true. You have it all in terms of the material that both sides take the view you need to make a decision.”

This sounds worrying. Is IS possibly trying to prove his defence was not up to speed by not including points he had told his solicitors? Perhaps all will be explained - I'm just nervous.
Yes,it sounds like they didn't include claims that IS had mentioned and he didn't notice they hadn't included them. This meant the prosecution didn't know about them and hadn't looked into them in order to challenge them. Now these claims have been allowed, the prosecution have been given the chance to challenge them. So , all good.

Am confused - why didnt Defence include these facts ( !! ) that IS had told them about ?

also, what was all the fuss about the book ? sounds as though the Defence just had not had time to copy up certain passages that they wanted to submit in evidence ?

BIB
IMO Think it's back to IS vacillating over which bits to put in, hold back and possibly get back out of his back pocket later, if needed. ( That previous discussion we had on here with tortoise when she was asking why. )

He's so sneaky. H
Wont go down well - judge's directions

Crown says 'overwhelming' evidence against Stewart
“In very short terms the Crown say there is overwhelming evidence on which the Crown say, you must find Stewart guilty. “If you were to think to yourself ‘I am sure this defendant is a liar, an actor, and is telling us something that is simply not true’ then the next stage of that logic would be why is he lying to us? Why is he behaving like an actor? “The only answer to that is probably because he is guilty of these offences.”

Prosecutor says Stewart's account 'absurd'
“I would say his account is absurd. You have the narrow choice to choose whether it was this defendant who killed Helen Bailey, or Nick and Joe. “It’s not the whole world to choose from, it’s this defendant, or Nick and Joe. “Or if the Crown suggest you take the view that Nick and Joe are imaginary, who don’t have proper names, who don’t exist, and have been imagined to pull the wool over your eyes. “If Nick and Joe don’t exist, then it is this defendant who killed Helen Bailey.”

Killing of Helen Bailey 'wicked'
Mr Trimmer adds: “The Crown say one thing you will have understood is that whoever did this, and the Crown say there is no doubt it was Ian Stewart, it was a wicked thing. “The killing was wicked, the disposal of the body is wicked, the way in which it was done and planned was wicked. “But you have to get past that notion and consider the facts.”

As far as I see it, IS told his solicitor about Helen taking the Zopiclone, the "compensation" demand and the Range Rover well in advance of his defence statement being prepared, but the defence statement missed off all that stuff so Strimmer and the CPS had no idea it was coming. I think Strimmer has asked for it to be made inadmissible for that reason, but I think the judge has let it stand as IS' representation messed up. IS should have probably challenged it not being on his defence statement but probably (and unsurprisingly) trusted that his legal team knew best.

I think this is just correcting procedural points that IS might otherwise use as basis for an appeal. Even if IS had put in his claim that HB took the Zopiclone herself before the defence case was submitted, he knew what was in the Prosecution case by then, didn't he? Or have I got dates mixed up?

BUT the dozy idiot signed off on his own defence...problem being he's told so many lies, it was impossible for him to remember everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you are probably correct, at least I hope so. Just concerned in case it gives reason for a mistrial or appeal.

Prosecutor says Stewart's account 'absurd'
“I would say his account is absurd. You have the narrow choice to choose whether it was this defendant who killed Helen Bailey, or Nick and Joe. “It’s not the whole world to choose from, it’s this defendant, or Nick and Joe. “Or if the Crown suggest you take the view that Nick and Joe are imaginary, who don’t have proper names, who don’t exist, and have been imagined to pull the wool over your eyes. “If Nick and Joe don’t exist, then it is this defendant who killed Helen Bailey.”

”

And he he even got IS to admit on the stand that it was either him or Nick & Joe who killed Helen

I have re-read....

So, this is what I am understanding...

IS told his defence information that they didn't put into the statement. They then presented him with the defence statement without these pieces of information and he signed off on it.

Presumably, now that this information has come into the case, but they're not in the statement, they need the jury to have this information to consider, so the defence are confirming that they had received this information they just hadn't put it in the defence statement. So now it is part of the agreed facts, rather than as part of the defence statement that will be given to the jury.

Does that sound at all feasible? That's the only thing that makes a semblance of sense in my head.

Kate Bradbrook ‏@katebradbrook 2m2 minutes ago

#helenbailey Prosecution closing speech has begun. The court hears killing of HB by IS was a "long plan" and act was "wicked

bd33afb49056f11d49cb7d2146d1d13c.jpg
bb7a5a94fd4058b9ca3a779a9574e182.jpg

I get the similar stare - whether it's on the park or on the bed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi everyone. Sorry I've been quiet but I had a really horrible message from one of the widows who feels that I have been wrong in joining this group, merely to "speculate" and to cause her family upset. I've thought long and hard about my actions, and I feel that you guys have supported me in my grief far more than those who are casting judgement. This is a taste of what they can be like! Hunkerdown, I love the idea of Bailey, what a wonderful tribute. It seems ironic that I am being condemned for posting in a public group, which is how all the widows met each other in the first place. I have gone with Hunkerdown's view, as a true friend in "real life" who knew Helen for over 10 years - to honour Helen and also to send the prosecution details that they might have missed.

Let's hope justice for Helen and Boris will quickly be served x

Killing of Helen Bailey was planned, prosecutor says
“The Crown say this was a wicked action. “It was a long plan. This defendant planned and set about the beginning, the middle, and the end of his plan. “This was a long plan involving poisoning. With it in mind that killing would follow, and with it in mind that he would get away with it. “Why he did it, we will never know. “He planned the beginning (the poisoning), the middle (the killing) and the end (the disposal). “It was not a coincidence that they stood by the cess pit and someone said ‘that would be a good place to hide a body’.”

Have we missed the extracts from a book then?

Sounds as though it was just Defence having to get certain sections of the book copied in order to give to Jury to put in their bundles ...........all that detective research yesterday for nothing ......sigh

Kate Bradbrook ‏@katebradbrook 1m1 minute ago

#helenbailey Prosecution claim Ian Stewart "a liar & an actor" Only 2 poss answers as to who killed HB. IS or Nick & Jo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18