GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stewart asked if he was a suspect

DC Daines said Stewart was shown a CCTV picture of a woman at Royston Railway Station on April 11, 2016. She said the defendant said ‘I don’t even need to put my glasses on, it’s not her’.

“The video recorded interview, conducted later, lasted two hours.

“She said that when Stewart first saw the video equipment he said ‘I do not like this at all’.

DC Daines said when the interview was over, the defendant said ‘Am I still the main suspect? I must be a suspect’.

“She said police told him he was a witness, not a suspect.” Another video recorded interview took place on May 4.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/incoming/live-helen-bailey-murder-trial-12627822

GP told about Helen's disappearance

On April 19 Stewart told a doctor his partner had disappeared and that police were involved.

“He said he couldn’t think straight and was feeling low.

Stewart was prescribed with an anti-depressant.

“Stewart returned to see Dr Howe on April 21, where he was prescribed a beta blocker.

“Dr Howe said he knew the defendant had recently had an operation at Addenbrooke’s.

“He said the defendant mentioned no mobility issues to this operation, and he could see no sign of the defendant having any mobility issues.”

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/incoming/live-helen-bailey-murder-trial-12627822

My God - Judge Bright is fantastic, superb eye for detail and discrepancy - he's doing an even better job for the prosecution than Trimmer did!

Stewart said he wanted to end his life

“On May 6 Stewart told other medical professionals he had been feeling low, and had been sitting at home wanting to end his life.

“The defendant mentioned how police had discovered a body in Scotland, which turned out not to be Helen, and Stewart had become very stressed at this.”

Nurse said Stewart showed no emotion about disappearance

“Nurse Gill Currie later visited the Royston house. She said the defendant told her he had a clear recollection of having seen Helen walking her dog down a lane in Royston on April 11.

“Nurse Currie told you she found Stewart very matter of fact, showing no emotion, and at one point he put his head down, in an effort to make himself cry.

“She saw him again on May 23 - the defendant said he was fed up with the police coming round.

“She said during this meeting Stewart showed no emotion and was relaxed when talking about Helen’s disappearance.

“He said people were looking for Helen, and he himself had gone out to look for her on one occasion.”

I wonder where he went to look for Helen - as far as the gates of the house perhaps ?

Does the judge have to go over the defence as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stewart spoke about Helen in past tense, doctor said

“Dr Dlugon said on June 17 the defendant spoke about Helen Bailey in the past tense, saying ‘she was always a worrier’.

“She said Stewart was talking about going on holiday, which did not fit with the picture she had about someone concerned about their missing partner. “In cross examination by the defence, Dr Dlugon said

Yes snoopy

Is he totally unbiased then or is he allowed to direct the jury to the conclusion he feels is correct? No idea how the summing up works. Looks so far like he knows IS is guilty from what he's saying ...

Was message appeal from heart or a sham?

“On May 11, the defendant sent a message Helen [via the press] concluding ‘wherever you are, I will come and get you and Boris and give you whatever you need

“You will want to ask yourself whether this was an emotional appeal from the heart, or as the prosecution say, a complete sham intended to maintain the deceit that Helen had run off and he just wanted her to come home.”

Is he totally unbiased then or is he allowed to direct the jury to the conclusion he feels is correct? No idea how the summing up works. Looks so far like he knows IS is guilty from what he's saying ...

It has to be just repeating the evidence - and nudging the jury to think about what the evidence might mean.

Stewart flew to Majorca

“On May 18 the defendant was asked to agree to another search of the house in Royston to look for items such as SIM cards.

“He allowed police to remove electrical items, but refused to allow another search.

“On June 12 the defendant flew to Majorca on his own, returning on June 24, 2016.”

It has to be just repeating the evidence - and nudging the jury to think about what the evidence might mean.

Sounds good so far. I can't see the jury thinking he's innocent of this at all from what Bright is saying

this was the real past tense faux-pas( not the "we were going to get married" one on the 101 call:
“Dr Dlugon said on June 17 the defendant spoke about Helen Bailey in the past tense, saying ‘she was always a worrier’.

I guess the Cambridge News will fill in the missing bit about what the doctor said under cross-examination later.

Stewart flew to Majorca

“On May 18 the defendant was asked to agree to another search of the house in Royston to look for items such as SIM cards.

“He allowed police to remove electrical items, but refused to allow another search.

“On June 12 the defendant flew to Majorca on his own, returning on June 24, 2016.”

That looks like he might have still had the sim card on May 18th then?

Stewart's arrest

“Stewart was arrested for murder at 7.02am on Monday July 11 at the Royston house.

“The arrest was recorded on a bodycam and the footage was played to you.

“At 7.03am the defendant said ‘why? I don’t understand what happened. Have you found Helen? Where is she? I don’t know why the garage is open’.

“The prosecution say the defendant knew perfectly well where Helen and Boris’ bodies were, which is why he made repeated reference to the garage door being open.

“The defendant in his evidence however, said he was concerned about the garage door as he thought there might have been a burglary overnight.”

and of course, that is just what you would be worrying about when arrested for murder - to check if there had been a burglary

This is a pretty good description:

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/summing+up

SUMMING UP, practice:

The act of making a speech before a court and jury, after all the evidence has been heard, in favor of one of the parties in the cause, is called summing up. When the judge delivers his charge to the jury, he is also said to sum up the evidence in the case. 6 Harg. St. Tr. 832; 1 Chit. Cr. Law, 632.

In summing up, the judge should, with much precision and clearness, state the issues joined between the parties, and what the jury are required to find, either in the affirmative or negative. He should then state the substance of the plaintiff's claim and of the defendant's ground of defence, and so much of the evidence as is adduced for each party, pointing out as he proceeds, to which particular question or issue it respectively applies, taking care to abstain as much as possible from giving an opinion as to the facts. It is his duty clearly to state the law arising in the case in such terms as to leave no doubt as to his meaning, both for the purpose of directing the jury, and with a view of correcting, on a review of the case on a motion for a new trial, or on a writ of error, any error he may, in the hurry of the trial, have committed.

Vide 8 S. & R. 150; 1 S. & R. 515; 4 Rawle, R. 100, 195, 356; 2 Penna. R. 27; 2 S. & R. 464. Vide Charge; Opinion, (Judgment.)
A Law Dictionary, Adapted to the Constitution and Laws of the United States. By John Bouvier. Published 1856.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB