UK UK - Jack O'Sullivan, 22, left friends after night out, last seen Brunel Lock Road/Brunel Way, Bristol at 3.15am, 2 Mar 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Such a shame that the case didn’t gain bigger traction earlier. I pray someone can bring him home to his family
I can't help wondering if it would have made any difference though. In almost all these cases, the person's body is found incidentally by a passerby. Appeals for information don't seem to achieve anything tangible. In Jay Slater's case, the police ignored the public, did their own thing, and found him after an extensive search. It's absolutely awful for the family, and I know in their position I would want lots of publicity and lots of searching, but I would think that, in the end, the case will resolve when the body is discovered by accident. I don't mean to sound cold-hearted.

I can't help wondering if it would have made any difference though. In almost all these cases, the person's body is found incidentally by a passerby. Appeals for information don't seem to achieve anything tangible. In Jay Slater's case, the police ignored the public, did their own thing, and found him after an extensive search. It's absolutely awful for the family, and I know in their position I would want lots of publicity and lots of searching, but I would think that, in the end, the case will resolve when the body is discovered by accident. I don't mean to sound cold-hearted.

I don't think you are being cold hearted. What you say is realistic in the sense that sharing Jack's story far and wide might keep him in the public mind but probably will not lead to him being found, as the most realistic explanation for his disappearance is that he ended up in the water. There are explanations online for why, if that happened, he might not be found quickly or even, tragically, at all.

The family must be in absolute anguish and agony, knowing that something terrible has happened but not what, why or exactly where. I doubt the police are treating it lightly or not doing everything they can, but I can also see why the family are frustrated, desperate, and yes of course they are also angry. They were talking to Jack and waiting for him to come home, and he just vanished. Ambiguous loss is excruciating. I feel desperately sorry for them. It's vile that people have contacted his poor mum claiming he has been abducted or asking for money.

Of course his family are hoping for some piece of information that will lead to some resolution--dashcam footage or something similar. I think that is what his mother meant by "someone knows something"--most likely she means that she believes there is some piece of information out there that will provide more data on what happened to Jack. Perhaps there is some more CCTV or dashcam or doorbell images of him. Let's hope that there is some resolution for his family's sake.

Just a last minute desperate suggestion- but are there cavities or openings of some kind within the bridge's girders or other structure?
Some tucked in spot where a person feeling nervous could climb into for protection and rest? speculation, imo.

Just a last minute desperate suggestion- but are there cavities or openings of some kind within the bridge's girders or other structure?
Some tucked in spot where a person feeling nervous could climb into for protection and rest? speculation, imo.
It's a good suggestion!
I think that his family and friends have searched quite a bit of his route but not sure about the bridge.
Did you see the video that someone made walking along the route that Jack took from the party? It is not a nice walk at all, particularly on the sides of the very busy roads, and must have been really unpleasant (and unsafe) at night, especially if he was a bit the worse for wear after a few drinks (I've no idea if he was or not) and as he appears to have hit his head before leaving the party.

It's a good suggestion!
I think that his family and friends have searched quite a bit of his route but not sure about the bridge.
Did you see the video that someone made walking along the route that Jack took from the party? It is not a nice walk at all, particularly on the sides of the very busy roads, and must have been really unpleasant (and unsafe) at night, especially if he was a bit the worse for wear after a few drinks (I've no idea if he was or not) and as he appears to have hit his head before leaving the party.
I agree with Konstantin it is a good suggestion dotr. The thing that struck me about the video was the sheer number of nooks, crannies, bushes, walls, and so on that could potentially hide a person in this very urban environment. Certainly when I’m walking down similar roads and pathways I’m not consciously aware of this, but with a different mindset it is astonishing, and I find the planning of these environments baffling. It makes me frustrated that town planners don’t think about the potential ramifications particularly regarding the potential for crime, accidents, etc.

I’m not saying this is what I think happened in this case, but it would not surprise me if on a cold night someone who couldn’t get a taxi and who’d had a few drinks (I’m not sure if Jack O’Sullivan had been drinking or not) took shelter somewhere and died either from the cold, or from getting stuck.

As a passenger in a car one time, i remember looking up at the inner belly? of a large bridge and being surprised to see a person (unhoused?) tucked inside. Actually it looked like a pretty good spot to see and not be seen.
From what i could see, they seemed more startled that i noticed them! imo, speculation.

I am so glad jacks case is finally getting the exposure it deserves. Unfortunately I don’t feel there will be a good outcome for jack, he just doesn’t strike me as the type of boy who would run away from his family and his life, this young man definitely has his head screwed on and was working hard for his dreams. Unfortunately , the most simple answer is usually the answer , I do think Jack fell into the water. I just hope the family can get him back and get closure. My heart breaks for them.

SEP 2, 2024
Six months on from his disappearance, police are making fresh calls for any information that could help in finding missing Jack. A spokesperson for the force said: “Today marks six months since the disappearance of 23-year-old Jack O'Sullivan in Bristol. Jack, from North Somerset, was last seen in the early hours of Saturday, March 2 after he attended a house party in the Hotwells area of Bristol.

The spokesperson added: “The last likely sighting of Jack was at 3.38am walking on Bennett Way slip road. Since his disappearance, more than 20 different Avon and Somerset teams and departments have been involved in the investigation.

I don't know why people keep going on about dashcam footage months after the event. Dashcams sold in the UK typically come with a chip which records for an hour and then records over earlier footage. When I bought mine, the maximum chip available (for Nextbase, as an upgrade) was for 8 hours recording before overwriting started but most people seem to stick with the supplied one-hour recording capacity.

One hour is enough for most people since cams have a push-button facility to ringfence the recording for one minute before and after the moment when the button is pushed to ensure you keep footage surrounding an accident. But you have to recognise that the moment is significant in order to push the button.

Seriously - does anyone really think that a motorist is going to be able to pull up footage of a random event which happened months earlier?

Poor family, so frustrating the Police have data from Jack phone and the parents aren't allowed to view it. Extract from BBC article below:

"Catherine says: "We ask for information from them to help us with our searches, which they can’t provide, because it’s an ongoing police investigation... technical information surrounding his phone that we’re not allowed to see for ourselves - even though the phone is registered to myself."

The information she refers to is the location of the last signal given off by Jack's iPhone to the Find My Friends app at 06:44 on the morning he went missing.

The family's privately hired investigators are ready to help, but the data they need is in the hands of police, Catherine says."

My first thought was that Jack entered the water, however why would his phone be showing a location at 06.44 on the morning he went missing? Unless the water does strange things to a phone's tracking system and can show incorrect data?

My first thought was that Jack entered the water, however why would his phone be showing a location at 06.44 on the morning he went missing? Unless the water does strange things to a phone's tracking system and can show incorrect data?
Simpler solution is that Jack didn't have his phone at that point.

I don't know why people keep going on about dashcam footage months after the event. Dashcams sold in the UK typically come with a chip which records for an hour and then records over earlier footage.
Not these days. Most dash cams take standard micro SD cards and will keep recording until the card is full before overwriting the oldest recordings. That can easily be hundreds of hours of footage.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centinel
Back