GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
More from the same article:

"Det Chief Inspector Phil Jones, who is leading the murder hunt, has said it is possible the killer may have tried to lift her over the quarry wall, but failed in his attempt and instead left her on the narrow roadside verge."

After all our discussions yesterday about the dumping site, the DCI in charge seems to favour the site of the floral tributes? Puzzling, or just plain stupid? Or am I reading this wrong?
It's hard to explain lol. He meant the wall where she was found (hidden behind vegetation) Not the wall where the floral tributes are. That wall you see where the flowers are doesnt just end there. It goes around the corner where the body was (obviously the wall was built around the Quarry in Victorian days) But the thick vegetation hides it from view, check Google street view to see the dense scrub land. You can see the outline of the wall on aerial images where the body was. So yes he meant she might have been intended to go over the wall, but don't take it literally as the bit of wall you can see.

Make sense? I'm not sure it does to me anymore these days :)

Jo Yeates murder: Cops probe whether killer returned to the scene after dumping her body

Wed 12th Jan 2011 9:58pm

Excerpt:"SUSPICIOUS

Local horse rider Emma Brewer said yesterday: “It is a bit weird if someone was driving up and down this lane because there is no obvious explanation. It seems suspicious to me. Some people do the school run and would come up and down the lane once, but not on a Saturday, and never three or four times."

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-st...scene-after-dumping-her-body-115875-22842873/

This headline/story is assuming Jo,s body was dumped on Friday 17th - and the killer returned next morning, what if that car was the killer looking for a spot , had stored the body in the car overnight - maybe not, one would think would go in middle of night and not next morning where might be spotted? then again the car may be nothing, someone who was lost?

To refute Philb's overwhelming evidence in favour of the quarry entrance site we should need the DCI's exact words. Otherwise it may well be that the journalist is expanding on what was said in the light of his own erroneous supposition as to the site.

I'm truly hoping it's simply a case of poor journalism, rather than a symptom of a badly briefed DCI! Jones should have complete command of all the detail of this case by now, surely

I've been reading some older articles and have noticed that quite a few of them say that Joanna was found in a ditch. (two examples below) Also, in the photo I can see a ditch on the lefthand side of the road entering the quarry but can't find a clear enough photo showing a ditch on the righthand side.

"Miss Yeates's disappeared from her home in the Clifton area of Bristol later that night and her body was discovered in a snow covered ditch on Christmas Day."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ssage-to-friend-on-night-she-disappeared.html

"A white tent has been erected over the ditch where her body was found and officers are combing the surrounding area for clues."
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-frozen-body-delays-postmortem-results.html

2031ue.jpg

http://www.aapone.com.au/Search.aspx?search=QUESTION+TIME&(IMPORTDATE>20100524)

ETA - I can see the ditch on the right side of the entrance road to the quarry in Google Street View.

14j2ni8.jpg

5348222097_07b6e30736.jpg

Right, this is definitely the last image i'm uploading about the body location :)

Is the wall clear to see now? Don't forget that we won't be able to see it on Google Street view. Those shots are taken in Summer and everything is in full leaf, obviously the wall will be better exposed now it's Winter.
So yes he did say wall, but not the wall where the tributes are.

And he did say might which I think you should take loosely to mean, she might have been intended to be dumped in the quarry, but obstacles prevented (he just happened to quote wall off the top of his head)
Taking words literally, and quoting other peoples assumptions leads to all these kind of conflicting reports really.

As has been mentioned by others they better check out all those working on the building next door (to Joanna's flat).

The scaffolding, along with the upper windows give an excellent view of people like Joanna and their 'comings and goings'.

Isn't it time the police held another press conference instead of releasing information through anonymous detectives to the print media.

If that is an old wall, isn't there a chain link fence between the verge and that wall? But what concerned me most was the reference to a narrow verge, which definitely fits the floral tribute site, but not the quarry entrance.
Why is there no photos of a forensic tent, or any forensic people to be seen working where the floral tributes are?

1. It would be too far away for even a telescopic zoom lens to get a good shot.

And

2. It didn't happen there.

Check all the photos of Longwood Lane on the net, there are hundreds of them here to choose from.
http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1...i=&oq=&gs_rfai=&q=longwood lane joanna yeates

Isn't it conclusive yet?

Why is there no photos of a forensic tent, or any forensic people to be seen working where the floral tributes are?

1. It would be too far away for even a telescopic zoom lens to get a good shot.

And

2. It didn't happen there.

Check all the photos of Longwood Lane on the net, there are hundreds of them here to choose from.
http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1...i=&oq=&gs_rfai=&q=longwood lane joanna yeates

Isn't it conclusive yet?

Yes, I'm absolutely convinced that you have pinpointed the right spot, I was just concerned whether the man in charge of the investigation was fully up to speed.

Yes, I'm absolutely convinced that you have pinpointed the right spot, I was just concerned whether the man in charge of the investigation was fully up to speed.
I think it's really a case of people interpreting things as gods gospel really.
It happens all the time. A story gets told to someone, each time it's passed on it gets or a bit added on until the story resembles nothing of the truth in the end.
A really distorted picture unfolds.

But that's human nature isn't it? ;)

It is about time we had an update from the police, I wonder what the incriminating piece of evidence that has been handed in could be. They say its not the sock, so is it the pizza box or maybe something that hasnt been released as yet. I do hope this case is concluded soon it is going on too long and must be unbearable for Jo's parents.

It is about time we had an update from the police, I wonder what the incriminating piece of evidence that has been handed in could be. They say its not the sock, so is it the pizza box or maybe something that hasnt been released as yet. I do hope this case is concluded soon it is going on too long and must be unbearable for Jo's parents.
The Bristol paper says.

Miss Scott spoke as police were reported to be examining what could be a "highly significant" piece of evidence handed in by a member of the public.

Avon and Somerset police declined to comment on the find but it is understood that it is not Miss Yeates' missing ski sock.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/DESPERATE-KILLER-CAUGHT/article-3090666-detail/article.html

But that's only speculation again.

Update.. Jo Yeates friend Rebecca Scott talking about Jo on B.B.C News 24 now.
Forensic search of Jo Yeates flat still continues.

Jo Yeates' Facebook friends are asked for DNA samples as calls for mass screening grow

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ds-asked-DNA-samples.html#ixzz1AofV0BrqPolice are using information from mobile phone masts to try to catch the killer.
Officers are tracing signals from potential suspects’ phones to see where they were on the night she vanished.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-friends-asked-DNA-samples.html#ixzz1AogGITND

These mobile signals must be revealing to the L/E they would place everyone where they said they were unless they were not telling the truth. In which case GR would not have been able to lie about his timings regarding his trip to see his twin nieces.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ds-asked-DNA-samples.html#ixzz1AofV0BrqPolice are using information from mobile phone masts to try to catch the killer.
Officers are tracing signals from potential suspects’ phones to see where they were on the night she vanished.

This is incredible, if true. The mobile phone location data was always going to be key to this case, so why is it only being checked now? What has been going on for the last 3 weeks?

Yes I agree Teabreid, whats more there are so many detectives on this case surely one of them would have thought about mobile phone signals. But in the words of my other half "they are not the brightest people on the planet" lol.

At least they have some suspects.

I'm leaning toward a construction worker as the perpetrator. Only guessing though.

My theory

1. Who did it? GR/MW/random loner living at the local hostel
2. What was the motive? Crime of Passion or thrill kill
3. What was the time of death? within 15 minutes of getting home
4. What happened to the pizza? taken and eaten
5. When was the body was dumped? Just before dawn 18th. Killer sat with the body.

I will resurrect my initial thoughts on this case:

Greg left for Sheffield around 7pm in a car with a suspect battery. He may have had some bad news from Jo at their lunchtime meet, and stews on this all the way to Sheffield. He gets to Sheffield around 10pm, but decides he must go back and straighten things out with Jo. His car won't start again, so this time he borrows a car from his brother (pale 4x4?) and drives back to Clifton arriving around 1am on the 18th. Perhaps he finds a situation he simply can't handle, who knows, anyway a murder takes place.

As has already been pointed out, this theory requires at least passive collusion from his brother, but it is not uncommon for people to cover for relatives.

Assuming he didn't stop for petrol, his journey back to Bristol wouldn't be registered by the police, who would check the cameras for the car he drove to Sheffield in. He may have left his phone in his own car in Sheffield, probably accidentally, but in effect confirming his alibi. Any DNA evidence would be in brother's car, which he would return to Sheffield once body dumped.

Not a perfect theory, but it shows, I think, that GR can't be totally excluded as a suspect, not by us, anyway. The police may have cctv or non family eyewitness evidence that he was in Sheffield all weekend, but they aren't saying.

It's a clever theory Teabreid, but IMO it strains credibility to breaking point.

1. To avoid electronic detection when he leaves Sheffield to return to Bristol, he has to leave his mobile in Sheffield despite the dangerous weather conditions and he has to pay cash at some stage for fuel because even a full tank is probably not going to suffice for the round trip Sheffield-Bristol-Sheffield in a 4x4. This is either a extremely lucky or else proof of pre-meditation.

2. He will take some time to have it out with Joanna, then kill her, then decide what to do, etc, before actually going to dump the body and then doubling back towards Sheffield. He's not going to get back to Sheffield for the second time before 8 am - and that's a stretch. Then he spends the weekend skiing with witnesses - some constitution!

3. He might easily have been seen on his return to Bristol, by a neighbour, or his brother's car might very easily have been seen departing from Sheffield to go back to Bristol, or arriving back in Sheffield early in the morning of 18th December. And he doesn't know in advance that he won't be seen, nor does he know afterwards that he wasn't...

4. He doesn't know when he dumps the body that it will be swiftly covered by snow and remain frozen and undiscovered for several days. Given the place he has chosen to dump it, the antecedent probability is that it will already have been discovered before he gets back on Sunday night. In which case the police will arrive in the flat before he does, so he will never get the chance to spend 4 hours preparing the scene. It is also difficult to see why he needs that long anyway.

5. (Also applies to several other hypotheses but not to all) he has to carry the body through the street to his brother's car where he might easily be spotted.

6. He requires the collusion post factum at least of his brother and his brother's wife and I'm not at all sure why the brother's wife wants to play ball. Not many women are happy to make it easier for men to get away with killing their women.

7. When CJ was in custody, Greg launched a blistering attack on the press for pre-judging his guilt. Remarkable sense of decency if he thought he was the main alternative suspect.

8. If he has quarrelled with Joanna at lunchtime or they've been on the rocks for a while, he certainly has to assume that she has spoken of this to others and that the spotlight will be on him. He also doesn't know that she will be in when he arrives back in Sheffield. Indeed if he really doubts that she is faithful, he won't know that she will be there at all.

9. The main "case" against Greg in fact seems to be that people find it difficult to explain the 4 hours "gap", but it's not hard to explain at all. To anyone used to the varieties of human character and behaviour, there is nothing hard to credit in Greg’s account of his discovery of the body or in his subsequent behaviour and comments. Jo is one of those (like me) who don’t always answer texts or return calls promptly or at all. At most he is a little surprised at not hearing from her over the weekend. When he gets back on Sunday night, he sees her bag on the table, as he says, but does not yet realise that her keys and mobile are in it. He probably tries to call her, but it doesn’t ring audibly because the battery is run down. From the cat’s behaviour he realises that Jo has been out for quite a while, but he is only bemused, not yet worried. He sorts out his luggage, deals with the cat, makes himself some grub, and having nothing better to while waiting for her, may watch a film or listen to some music or spend an hour or two on line. As time goes by, he becomes more concerned and finally he starts looking round more closely. Already perhaps over three hours have gone by since he got in. It is now that he discovers the keys, phone, purse (US readers note British sense of this word), etc. He becomes quite seriously anxious as he thinks over this, but he is a bit of a ditherer and unsure what to do. He calls his mum – OK fairly embarrassing as a reaction, but also understandable and even disarming. Mums sometimes have good advice (pity she didn't tell him to take his hat off while laying the flowers). Shortly afterwards, he calls the police and explains the situation. he also calls Joanna’s parents, who immediately see the problem and set out. All perfectly credible IMO.

Conclusion, Greg Reardon is innocent.

Agree with you 100% Nausicaa

But i've got to add the couple only moved in together in October at the very earliest
(most quote November)
It was all smiles between them at lunch time. Jo was reported to be the happiest she'd ever been. She was all smiles in the Bargain Booze on her way home. And she confided in no one that anything was wrong with her relationship with GR.

Hardly a scenario for enraged murder I.M.O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larney