GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So she was probably lying down ...

"Police have confirmed they are treating the death of architect Joanna Yeates as "suspicious" after her snow-covered body was discovered on Christmas Day by a lonely rural lane on the edge of Bristol.

Officers revealed yesterday that no blood was found at the scene at Longwood Lane in the quiet village of Failand.

It is understood she was clothed and partially covered by leaves and snow. The body was found by a couple walking their dog."

(from your link)
Once again Otto. It's all 'probably and understood
Not fact.

Isn't that a case that was also handled by LGC Forensics, where double jeopardy was overturned?

Yes that was it.

I just can't imagine the horror of finding a body under a bath panel after 80 days, especially your daughters. This family has my deepest sympathies.

Am I looking at the right picture ... a group of people standing around, a guy in the white suit, white tape on the ground? I don't see a curved tree trunk.

The woman in the lavender jacket. To her left and slightly higher

Once again Otto. It's all 'probably and understood
Not fact.

True, but the ditch theory also makes sense, and seems less violent than being held captive for a few days.

Yes that was it.

I just can't imagine the horror of finding a body under a bath panel after 80 days, especially your daughters. This family has my deepest sympathies.

I understand the same lab will be looking at the saliva DNA that was reportedly found on Joanna, but I also read that they probably would not be able to match it until they found the right person. I'm guessing that means it could be a smaller sample ... like LNC - no second chances with testing ... not sure, but there must be a particular reason why this lab has been chosen to do the analysis.

I think the lab will process the saliva ok, I just think it will come back as GR's....or the dog's!!

This shot doesn't show the depth of the ditch unless you're looking for it. But if that ditch were say ten inches to one foot deep (and it could actually be considerably deeper) then it would accomodate a body.

5359911428_43726d9198_z.jpg

I'm still not seeing this ditch, and I am looking for it.
The verge looks perfectly flat and even to me. The concrete posts are 4'' wide to judge the depth of anything around. Standard kerb heights range from 125mm to 140mm (under 6'')

It seems impossible the body was there undiscovered. Not with the icing cake dusting of snow.

I've see both verge and ditch used to describe where JY body was found.

"The body was found frozen, in a ditch, which has delayed a post mortem examination and formal identification until later today or possibly tomorrow."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...in-police-hunt-for-joanna-yeates-2169469.html

In a ditch, under leaves, frozen to the ground, covered with snow.

"Police have confirmed they are treating the death of architect Joanna Yeates as "suspicious" after her snow-covered body was discovered on Christmas Day by a lonely rural lane on the edge of Bristol."

ruined detroit has a good point:

I think the lab will process the saliva ok, I just think it will come back as GR's....or the dog's!!

What makes them think it is the perpetrator's DNA?
It could belong to anybody.

I wonder if there is any other evidence? No finger prints? No strands of fabric?
No foot prints?
Was there nothing under the victims fingernails?

No one is that careful ... unless he is very practiced at this, or as was posted earlier ... that it could be someone with forensic knowledge or police training. No evidence that we've heard of at the flat, pizza taken from the house, body discovered in plain sight 8 days later, no evidence other than one spec of DNA ... that might belong to the dog. Any connection to the murder in 1974 was ruled out, so that rules out a crazy guy in the neighbourhood. If there is truly no DNA and no sexual assault ... what was this?

5359911428_43726d9198_z.jpg

I'm still not seeing this ditch, and I am looking for it.
The verge looks perfectly flat and even to me. The concrete posts are 4'' wide to judge the depth of anything around. Standard kerb heights range from 125mm to 140mm (under 6'')

It seems impossible the body was there undiscovered. Not with the icing cake dusting of snow.

How tall are the weeds and plants just behind the chainlink fence? It seems impossible to tell ... they could be 6-8" lower than the foliage. There could be a depression in the ground, one deep enough for a small woman.

No one is that careful ... unless he is very practiced at this, or as was posted earlier ... that it could be someone with forensic knowledge or police training. No evidence that we've heard of at the flat, pizza taken from the house, body discovered in plain sight 8 days later, no evidence other than one spec of DNA ... that might belong to the dog. Any connection to the murder in 1974 was ruled out, so that rules out a crazy guy in the neighbourhood. If there is truly no DNA and no sexual assault ... what was this?

Hey if I was planning murder, I would be picking up random things all over the place to muddy the waters: discarded cigarette butts, strands of hair (the tube is a hairy place), discarded newspapers, you name it! I think over relying on DNA as opposed to plain old police work is dangerous. DNA has proven to be successful in prosecutions, but it is not the be all and end all unless we make it so. I also think it is easier to prevent the transfer of DNA, to the point of successful sample collection, than people are led to believe.

ruined detroit has a good point:

What makes them think it is the perpetrator's DNA?
It could belong to anybody.

I wonder if there is any other evidence? No finger prints? No strands of fabric?
No foot prints?
Was there nothing under the victims fingernails?

The only evidence I've read about is the missing pizza and wrapping, the missing sock, the saliva DNA and other general info about location, timeline.

How tall are the weeds and plants just behind the chainlink fence? It seems impossible to tell ... they could be 6-8" lower than the foliage. There could be a depression in the ground, one deep enough for a small woman.

She wasn't in there, but on the verge. The police have stated the culprit may have not been able to lift the body over a wall/fence. Her body was found in plain view on the road side verge, not on the other side of an obstacle.

She wasn't in there, but on the verge. The police have stated the culprit may have not been able to lift the body over a wall/fence. Her body was found in plain view on the road side verge, not on the other side of an obstacle.

That fence doesn't look more than 3 feet in height. It would take that much effort to lift her out of the car. I do recall that she was not on the other side of the fence, but if she was there in plain site, why didn't the couple that passed her 10 minutes earlier on the way to church see her? Was she wearing a white shirt?

Do you think it possible, to show respect, and not subject the dog walkers to more trauma. That they moved away a few feet from the body, looking the other way to find out the details? They also don't want to contaminate the area. I think it's highly likely yes?

I wish that I could find the video but as yet no success. From memory, when viewing the video, most of the activity, i.e. from the investigators dressed in white, was was just to the right of the woman and behind the tape, which made me think at the time that's where the body must be.

Just wondering if the police bending over, in the foreground of pic, might be police photographers?.

nnpg03.jpg

I wish that I could find the video but as yet no success. From memory, when viewing the video, most of the activity, i.e. from the investigators dressed in white, was was just to the right of the woman and behind the tape, which made me think at the time that's where the body must be.

Just wondering if the police bending over, in the foreground of pic, might be police photographers?.

nnpg03.jpg

I'm pretty certain the Police and dog walkers seen here have moved a little away from the body to be honest.
All the other pics show the forensic tent to be on the other side of the boulder. Nothing is conclusive, but I can't see them gathered around with a corpse at their feet chatting. It just isn't done with members of the public is it?

I put the three pictures together ... took me forever to find the curved tree above and to the left of the purple coat.

yeatestreecurvescene.jpg

Nice bit of editing Otto.
But I think it's pretty much a wise idea to not take it for granted the body was placed here. I don't, and all the other evidence we've seen shows it was on the other side of the boulder and next to the gate.

JMO of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member