GUILTY UK - Katie Rough, 7, killed by teen, Woodthorpe, York, 10 Jan 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you, SaberTooth.

I wonder if Katie just went outside to play, mom checked on her after a bit but did not see her, started calling/looking, possibly asked friends if they had see her, and then got very worried.

Am I remembering correctly that some kids found Katie? Did someone call Katie's mom to say she was injured and that is why she rushed (in her car) to the scene?

Apparently it was some indivudals walking their dog who noticed the wounds to Katie's neck and called for help. Not sure if same couple but someone took 15yo in where they called the police, who spoke to her and found Katie. 13 minutes after the 15 yo call, the mother called the police stating she had not seen her daughter for nearly an hour and was concerned unaware of unfolding events. It appears she may have been notified at this time as she is not far from where it occurred. When she got there police were working on saving her and the father showed up shortly later I believe to console his wife. Another interesting point I just found an article saying the 15yo was under the support of mental health services prior to this incident.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2588322/katie-rough-murder-york-mental-health/

Maybe the police told her when she called to report Katie missing.

Why were you livid? They are not forcing you to allow your child to walk home alone, just allowing those parents who know their kids are perfectly capable of walking home from school alone to do so without being hassled.
I was livid because the school felt it appropriate to open the doors and let the children out without an adult being there as school policy is year 3 and above can walk home alone- if I was running late my daughter would be stood standing,alone, on the school ground The school would not necessarily know that I had not arrived and as can be seen from our time on here a lot can happen when a child is left alone, especially at that age.

In the younger years (and up until the new system was implemented - all years up until year 5 and 6) children were not let out until a named adult collected the child. Now they are being let out with no thought as to whether that child is supposed to be being picked up by an adult or not - purely because they deem it acceptable that anyone age 6 and above is able to walk home alone.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I can't see any harm in naming a school. It won't identify the accused.
No need to even name school, finishing time and distance from area will give the information to people without identifying anything/anyone. I'm not commenting on this one as am local and far more information through friends of family is being discussed. I would say though knowing the name/possible relationship of teenager will not help any discussions, nor does it bring Katie back, allow the anonymity to remain, this is with her for life.

I have to say the family seems very loving and supportive of each other. So many times tragedy will tear a family apart. I truly hope they stay united and help each other get through this.

One more piece of information and then I am staying out of further discussion- I don't know a single school in york and have worked in a lot of them that would allow a child below year 6 to walk home alone, nor would they allow a 15 year old sibling to pick up- named adults have to be over 16. Also mental health team are amazing in york and every child I know who is under the team has regular sessions, a waiting list yes, but it isn't massively long until they are seen. I have no idea whether she was involved with the CAMHs team before anyone misinterprets my post.

Apparently it was some indivudals walking their dog who noticed the wounds to Katie's neck and called for help. Not sure if same couple but someone took 15yo in where they called the police, who spoke to her and found Katie. 13 minutes after the 15 yo call, the mother called the police stating she had not seen her daughter for nearly an hour and was concerned unaware of unfolding events. It appears she may have been notified at this time as she is not far from where it occurred. When she got there police were working on saving her and the father showed up shortly later I believe to console his wife. Another interesting point I just found an article saying the 15yo was under the support of mental health services prior to this incident.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2588322/katie-rough-murder-york-mental-health/

BIB Is your source for that the Sun article? Because I would not place too much reliance on that. It says nothing about "prior to this incident".

A 15-year-old girl appeared in court yesterday accused of murdering Katie on Monday.
It is understood the teenager was being treated for mental problems.

I've skimmed most of the comments but I'm 100% convinced it's a step sister who is the 15 year old. Makes sense why a 7 year old would be out or walking home without a parent if her sister was walking with her. The family photos show a girl who looks around 15 who hasn't been shown in any pictures attending court like Katie's other step siblings. Might also explain how Katie's mum knew where she was if the killer has called and confessed after calling the police.

Katie had no step-siblings.

I feel sorry for them all. I'm thinking the 15yr old must have been in a state to have been taken in by the couple. We don't know what's happened, but I'm just assuming some kind of mental breakdown. My gut feeling is this wasn't a planned murder and "it just happened". The family must be in hell right now and I hope they can get through this somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You cannot tell anything from a photograph. People will see what they want to see.

I usually look "off" in photos as I am not photogenic.

yes you can in this case. theres something. but i dare not go in to detail but as a mum of teens,i see it

I feel sorry for them all. I'm thinking the 15yr old must have been in a state to have been taken in by the couple. We don't know what's happened, but I'm just assuming some kind of mental breakdown. My gut feeling is this wasn't a planned murder and "it just happened". The family must be in hell right now and I hope they can get through this somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is a mental issue hopefully she will receive the help she needs. Conflict arises when it comes to the knife. Why was she carrying it with her? Did she always carry a knife? Or did she actively go out, find the knife and use it to perpetuate this crime? This suggests possible premeditation which could mean she was lucid enough to seek the knife, then find Katie, take her to a rather desolate spot and murder her.

yes you can in this case. theres something. but i dare not go in to detail but as a mum of teens,i see it

There are others who have made similar comments to yourself earlier in this thread. Not sure if they are still there. But there are some who agree with you.

I'm a mum who's had 3 teens and fostered more and been around them a lot.

I can't think what you're referring to.

Either say it loosely about any average teen or ...

that field is so far away and off the beaten track so to speak....katie would have no need to be there....she was taken there for a reason, and it wasn't to play or as a means to get to another place

that field is so far away and off the beaten track so to speak....katie would have no need to be there....she was taken there for a reason, and it wasn't to play or as a means to get to another place

I mean it doesn't seem the spot was preplanned as the 15 yo has said she didn't know exactly where Katie was. It was darkish around the time the call was placed which would also explain her confusion if she was in an unfamiliar area.

It was a maximum 10 minute walk from her house and a sports field (not off the beaten track)

I'm a mum who's had 3 teens and fostered more and been around them a lot.

I can't think what you're referring to.

Either say it loosely about any average teen or ...

I think what people are referring to is we have this idea of the stereotypical teenager. In the same way we stereotype how men and women look etc. Although there is no direct box we should fit into as each individual is different and has their own look. When someone doesn't fit this stereotype they can be perceived as weird or odd. For example an amish teenager would not be viewed visually as a stereotypical teenager.

it didn't lead anywhere...or go anywhere....nothing of interest at all

It was a maximum 10 minute walk from her house and a sports field (not off the beaten track)

That's really interesting, Katie was reported as last seen by her mother 45 minutes earlier in her phone call to police. So what happened in that time? Why such a long trek?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487
Back