GUILTY UK - Kempsey, found in a septic tank, Jul'19, missing in 1982 - Brenda Venables *husband arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
They will have cooked up "not competent to stand trial" by the time that comes around.

They have had 2 years to think about that one, I do wonder if another year will help them to magically come up with a reason why. IMO COVID is more to blame for the delay. It is around here.

Meanwhile, I am all for fast tracking, out of curiosity. Did he indeed bury her remains before he hid her in the septic tank?

Nice looking house btw.

Is the husband still alive to stand trial this year though or has he since passed away?

Pensioner accused of killing wife after body found in septic tank heads to court

Adjourning the case after the 20-minute hearing, the Recorder of Worcester, Judge James Burbidge QC, told Venables: “You may remain seated. Your case is going to be adjourned for trial on the charge of murder.

“You will be tried by a jury of 12 people at this Crown Court.

“That will take place on the 7th of June 2022. You will be released on bail on the same terms as you were released by the Recorder of Birmingham.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Human remains found in village could belong to woman missing since 1980s
"Police confirmed: "This discovery is currently being treated as an unexplained death and we will be following many lines of enquiry; included within this is to establish if this is connected to the disappearance of a woman from the village of Kempsey in the 1980s."

In a statement, the force added: "We are also aware there is some speculation that this discovery may be linked to the disappearance of Suzy Lamplugh who also went missing in the 1980s.

"Although we don't believe it to be, until we have the post-mortem results we are not in a position to link the bones to any particular person at this stage and are keeping an open mind."

0_Human-Bones-find-Kempsey-Worcestershire.jpg
How sad, I wonder how many other remains of missing persons could be in septic tanks. You would never have thought something so simple.

Not surprised he’s been ‘hiding’ in his bungalow ( behind closed blinds) since he sold the farmhouse 5 years ago!

He must have been waiting for a knock on the door!

I wonder why he moved at all! Very risky!

I wonder if he’ll play the “Unfit for Trial” card next.

Obviously this is assuming he’s guilty, which is MOO.

( Have I always been so cynical or did my WS addiction turn me this way?!)
If he is found guilty I wonder if it will be seen as a one off or will other women missing in the 1980's/early 1990's be looked into.

You must have missed the Helen Bailey case.
Thanks Cherwell, I read about the Helen Bailey case. Someone put a websleuths link and discussed earlier on in this thread.
Man, 59, who murdered his fiancée appears at Old Bailey accused of killing his first wife | Daily Mail Online
So he allegedly killed a second person who was his first wife Diane Stewart.

It looks like the trial for the second murder is due to take place soon
New trial date for convicted murderer Ian Stewart

Last edited:
I remember the famous Mrs McKay case, where the victim was never found and thought to have been fed to the pigs. (Hertfordshire)

Murder of Muriel McKay - Wikipedia

O/T
I just searched to see if we had any threads about Muriel McKay and this post was all that came up, her killer has now confessed where her body is, missing since 1969. It was a case of mistaken identity - they were after Rupert Murdoch’s wife!

Muriel McKay: Police reopen investigation into kidnap and murder after 51 years | News | The Times

Last edited:
I remember this too. Link is paywalled, so can you summarise?

Ransom / kidnapping attempt on Murdoch’s wife, except Murdoch had lent his car to the McKays. Kidnappers followed the car home and later abducted Mrs McKay, thinking she was Mrs Murdoch. Ransom cash handover attempted but failed. It was one of the UKs first “no body” murder trials and two brothers were convicted. One died in prison, the other was deported to Trinidad and now, age 77, has fessed up.

I’d start a thread for Muriel but only have my phone to hand, bit faffy!

Ransom / kidnapping attempt on Murdoch’s wife, except Murdoch had lent his car to the McKays. Kidnappers followed the car home and later abducted Mrs McKay, thinking she was Mrs Murdoch. Ransom cash handover attempted but failed. It was one of the UKs first “no body” murder trials and two brothers were convicted. One died in prison, the other was deported to Trinidad and now, age 77, has fessed up.

I’d start a thread for Muriel but only have my phone to hand, bit faffy!
Oh yes, I remember the case well, but I was more interested in this alleged confession/disclosure.
It seems to me that if she really had died of natural causes it would have been in their interests to reveal the location of the body so the CoD could have been verified. That could have made a difference to their sentences, IF true. So I'm sceptical.

New update on inquest into death of Brenda Venables as husband faces trial

WORCESTERSHIRE'S Senior Coroner has said Brenda Venables inquest has been suspended pending the outcome of her husband's trial.

The 48-year-old's remains were found in a septic tank 37 years after she disappeared. David Venables is accused of killing his wife who was reported missing in 1982 from the couple’s then home in Bestmans Lane, Kempsey.

Mrs Venables inquest had been listed to be heard in Stourport on Thursday, January 27, but was taken off Worcestershire Coroners Service list of inquests.

After contacting the service for information, the senior coroner David Reid provided this statement: "The inquest has been suspended pending the outcome of the criminal proceedings against Mrs Venables' husband.

"A decision about whether or not to resume the inquest will be taken at the conclusion of those proceedings."

BBM

Adjourning the case after the 20-minute hearing, the Recorder of Worcester, Judge James Burbidge QC, told Venables: “You may remain seated. Your case is going to be adjourned for trial on the charge of murder.

“You will be tried by a jury of 12 people at this Crown Court.

That will take place on the 7th of June 2022. You will be released on bail on the same terms as you were released by the Recorder of Birmingham.”

BBM

Did the trial start? I can't find any updates.

Trial begins of husband accused of killing wife and putting body in septic tank

THE trial of David Venables, accused of murdering his wife Brenda, is due to get underway this morning.

The case is in courtroom three, being heard in front of Mrs Justice Amanda Tipples.
It is listed to last around six weeks.

Venables was charged in 2021.

The pensioner’s bail was subject to a condition of residence and instructions not to apply for a passport or to contact prosecution witnesses.

BBM

Six weeks! :oops: As in six full weeks and full days each day?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pennypiper
Back