GUILTY UK - Kempsey, found in a septic tank, Jul'19, missing in 1982 - Brenda Venables *husband arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
He's probably had to change his underware a few times since last Friday when the bones were found. Good.
When I think of him flushing the toilet in that house and on those bones for over thirty years. Urgh! Another disposable spouse, Sigh. Moo

Her disappearance was treated as a search for a missing person and it never became a murder inquiry.

How much did the police really do? I know they searched with helicopters at the time.
But why, if LE knew she was missing and she was never found, is she not in Missing People UKs database?
How many more are there? Is, for example, Suzy's remains laying in some old file somewhere, never shared with any other LE and let's have another cup of tea, those files are old and not in a computer yet.
And how many more in the US, and the rest of the world? :(
imo there should be a thing like namus on all continents, and it should be mandatory to enter all missing and unidentified in your district, no matter how long ago.

The force confirmed today that it had received the post-mortem report in relation to the remains found at the site on July 12.

Detective Chief Inspector Carl said: 'The results enable us to confirm that the bones discovered are that of an adult female. The bones will now be forensically tested to try to obtain DNA for identification purposes.

Human bones found in septic tank are female, police confirm | Daily Mail Online

Carrying out routine maintenance of the cess pit....
Wonder how often this ‘routine’ maintenance had been carried out over the years

If the septic tank had been routinely cleaned, it's hard to imagine that the remains would remain hidden for so long. Once the tank was drained, the workers normally hose it out and give it a visual inspection. Were they just sloppy? Or were the bones not there until recently.

Villagers said body parts were discovered in a bag in a cesspit being drained during routine maintenance. Villagers might be just gossiping, but it's hard to believe that a bag in the septic tank would not create problems, or be found, or survive for 37 years.

Although police have not officially said it is Mrs Venables, the 48-year-old disappeared from her farmhouse home in the early hours of May 4 of that year. [1982]

A West Mercia Police spokesman has said no arrests have been made, and none would be until the remains are formally identified.

A week after the disappearance in another story, Mr Venables said: “I am just hoping and praying she is safe and well. I shall continue the search but I just don’t know where to look.”

(images in the article - click to enlarge) :

quaking 1.png quaking 2.png

‘I woke up to find that she had gone’ - how the paper reported on Brenda Venables' disappearance

Last edited:
How much did the police really do? I know they searched with helicopters at the time. Did they bring out dogs, did they seriously question the husband?
Why, if LE knew she was missing and she was never found, is she not in Missing People UKs database?
How many more are there? Is, for example, Suzy's remains mentioned in some old file somewhere, never shared with any other LE and let's have another cup of tea, those files are old and not in a computer yet.
And how many more in the US, and the rest of the world? :(
imo there should be a thing like namus on all continents and one for each country, and it should be mandatory to enter all missing and unidentified in your district, no matter how long ago.
Would save so much time, resources and heartbreak.

I totally agree on all of it. Ages ago Interpol started a very costly project building an international database. A very good idea but nothing yet, I guess due to all kinds of legal hick-ups. If people from Europe can't even register to Namus... I know that in the UK there are missing persons, like this lady, not entered in any system. Also some databases are impossible to search on, especially when there isn't a built-in translation from a European language to English or Spanish and visa versa, a complete illogic search structure....or no pictures or very little information. How on earth would you find someone with an oval face or normal eyes. In the Netherlands I know at least one case of a missing woman not listed. They are still building, reviewing missing persons cases and putting them up. A couple of unidentified persons have been identified because of the extra efforts. A good thing. It's sounds almost like utopia to me but one day maybe it's reality.

If the septic tank had been routinely cleaned, it's hard to imagine that the remains would remain hidden for so long. Once the tank was drained, the workers normally hose it out and give it a visual inspection. Were they just sloppy? Or were the bones not there until recently.

Villagers said body parts were discovered in a bag in a cesspit being drained during routine maintenance. Villagers might be just gossiping, but it's hard to believe that a bag in the septic tank would not create problems, or be found, or survive for 37 years.

The Helen Bailey case comes to mind.

GUILTY - UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #1

Fiance and murderer Ian Stewart hid Helen's body in an old cesspit. The cesspit was no longer in use, there was a pipe to a second cesspit behind it, and that is where the police searched initially, and found nothing.

Cesspits do not live forever, there comes a moment when the system no longer works and 40 years (and probably longer) is a long time.

So this is interesting, cesspit-wise. I would be surprised if this wasn't Mrs Venables, but it makes me wonder how it could happen. Assuming the husband has something to do with it, he must have lived in fear every time that pit was emptied.

Fiance and murderer Ian Stewart hid Helen's body in an old cesspit. The cesspit was no longer in use, there was a pipe to a second cesspit behind it, and that is where the police searched initially, and found nothing.

Cesspits do not live forever, there comes a moment when the system no longer works and 40 years (and probably longer) is a long time.

So this is interesting, cesspit-wise. I would be surprised if this wasn't Mrs Venables, but it makes me wonder how it could happen. Assuming the husband has something to do with it, he must have lived in fear every time that pit was emptied.
Hi ZaZara. The cesspit was still in use. I think we wondered at the time whether it wasn't.

Pathologist Dr Nathaniel Cary told St Albans Crown Court it was "possible that she was put down the well in an unconscious state and then drowned".

Ms Bailey's body was discovered in a cesspit beneath the garage submerged in liquid, including human excrement, the court heard.

Author 'may have been alive' in cesspit

Carrying out routine maintenance of the cess pit....

Wonder how often this ‘routine’ maintenance had been carried out over the years

Exactly my thoughts. According to that article Mr V sold the farm to a family member 5 years ago. I wonder how often they need to be maintained? Only when they fail to work? I've seen mention on SM that new laws are coming in, in 2020, about having cesspits and sewage tanks maintained. Is this a typial countryside way of getting rid of a body, into a cesspit/septic tank?

Hi ZaZara. The cesspit was still in use. I think we wondered at the time whether it wasn't.

Pathologist Dr Nathaniel Cary told St Albans Crown Court it was "possible that she was put down the well in an unconscious state and then drowned".

Ms Bailey's body was discovered in a cesspit beneath the garage submerged in liquid, including human excrement, the court heard.

Author 'may have been alive' in cesspit

It was 'in use' insofar it belonged to a chain of cesspits. But the cesspit that was emptied regularly was located behind the old "secret" cesspit (where HB was found). Waste water & waste from the house would flow to the first cesspit and then on to the second one. As long as the inlet of the old pit is higher that the outlet to the next cesspit, the chain works.

In a cesspool, as opposed to a septic tank, the water seeps away trough the stones and the sediment is left behind, this is removed every now and then. Once the walls get clogged, the system no longer works, and you may dig another pit and connect it with a pipe. As long as the pipes flow down, the system will function.

Perhaps the previous owner and husband made sure he emptied the cesspit himself? But then he sold the house ...

I think it depends on how big the tank is, if remains are found or not during maintenance. In this particular sad case, because close to home, divers found the remains of a Dutch man in a septic tank.

"The retired man has been living in Nyali for years, near the city of Mombasa in Kenya. In the meantime the man has been found in a septic tank (cistern in which the sanitary waste water is collected) near his house. He appears to have been killed"

"The family in the Netherlands reported the man in early February as a missing person. An investigation was subsequently started in Kenya. The Dutch police were also involved in this. On Tuesday, the body of the missing man was removed from the tank by divers. The body was rolled into a mattress and would show traces of severe abuse and be in a state of extreme deprivation".

Politie vindt lichaam vermiste Nederlander in Keniase beerput. Police finds body of missing Duchman in Kenyan septic tank.

In the above case they had to do a lot of searching, following pipes etc. to actually find out that there was this tank. Also in this case the gardener did it. Maybe the husband really doesn't know, but how big are the chances if this is indeed the missing Ms. V. Duhhhh.

Last edited:
Venables is quit a "loaded" name in the UK. Jon Venables killed little James Bulger.
It's a bit like 'Bundy'; Ted Bundy in Washington and Utah and then Carol M Bundy and her hubby. A huge number of Belgians were also called Detroux until Marc was arrested (ironically, the only Belgian I could name for a while).

It's a bit like 'Bundy'; Ted Bundy in Washington and Utah and then Carol M Bundy and her hubby. A huge number of Belgians were also called Detroux until Marc was arrested (ironically, the only Belgian I could name for a while).

OT Seeing all the attention (serial) killers get (websites, biographies, numerous articles if they "burb" up story's or suddenly seem to become painters) I always think....the victims should have had at least 110% of it.

What the Killer did Next: Episodes

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1