Found Deceased UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen getting into a taxi outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking her drunkenness played a greater part than her mental health, I'll be so surprised if it turns out to be suicide. Think I'm swayed by the scream/bang situation though and the fact she's not been found in the water. She must have been pretty hammered to have not been able to play sober for a minute and get past the bouncers at Welly.

I agree, any MH issues may have been the reason for the drunkeness but unlikley to be directly related to her disappearence iykwim but, I can see a slight possibility that if she is safe and sound somewhere her mental state might mean she doesn't feel able to make her self known

JMO

Looks like workers have a master key to properties, I assume owned by the same rental company, and are known to access the buildings without prior notice. Would beg the question who, apart from residents, has access to the house with the wooden gate and others in the street. The advert seems to say that the house will be available for rent from August. Is it possible that it’s actually empty at the minute and the landlord is having repairs carried out? Just a thought.

I've seen plenty of self harm scars but this girl has both arms and legs covered in them. Her mental health issues obviously run pretty deep. With the added alcohol and the emotion of being turned away from the club while her friends gained entry and were having a good time, it is possible this has made her do something to herself.

If she had fallen or injured herself, it's likely she would have been found by now. If she purposely went to harm herself, I believe unfortunately, she would head to the drain area. Yes this area has been searched but it's just too large to be conclusive right away.

People do not like to mention this mental health aspect and would even deem others bad people for mentioning it but it could be a vital part in this so it's dangerous not to bring it up. The other scenario of foul play by a stranger seems very rare right now for this area.

Screams are heard all the time regarding that and a fox also makes that horrible like scream. I have to say it, with no further evidence and this many days in, it seems highly unlikely this girl is going to be found safe and OK. Do her friends confirm she didn't have her phone out with her? It seems unusual she wouldn't. I can only imagine she perhaps lost her keys which is why she didn't enter her residence and she had no phone to call anyone, but then she said she was OK to the passer by. It's all very strange.

The reason the mental health thing concerns me is because through personal experience I know that having depression (especially to the point that you self harm) is massively, massively amplified when you're drunk - especially if you're so drunk you're denied entry to a club with your friends. Three details about that night particularly jump out to me as worrying:
1. As her friend stated, she had been hugging everyone and saying she was glad the group was back together earlier in the night. Might not seem important, but to me it has undertones of her being lonely and then thrilled all her old friends were out together. Being drunk and turned away from a club and then bundled into a taxi when you want to desperately stay with your friends would have been extremely upsetting for Libby.
2. The fact she didn't enter her accommodation <modsnipped>I believe she wandered back to the bench as she was trying to walk back to the Welly but had to sit down as she realised how intoxicated she was. She may have even felt like her friends didn't want her there as they'd put her in a taxi - again, I've been in similar situations, to someone vulnerable and drunk this irrational thought would be highly upsetting.
3. If she had NOT lost her key, as some people have speculated, why didn't she enter her accommodation to get her phone and let her friends know she was home safe? I believe she was so upset and angry at being turned away and her friends carrying on the night without her that she didn't want to let them know she was safe.

The most worrying thing about all this for me is that she had the sense to tell the driver who asked if she was okay that she was fine. She didn't ask for a ride home, which tells me she was somehow aware enough to know not to go anywhere with a stranger - so, this leads me to believe that she wouldn't have gone anywhere with any stranger, at least not willingly. And for all of this to happen literally minutes away from her home - it makes me very, very sad that these kinds of situations can even happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding my welcome to all the new people who have joined us -

Sera Stella8 Ruki Steve0000

MG_124.gif

I've seen plenty of self harm scars but this girl has both arms and legs covered in them. Her mental health issues obviously run pretty deep. With the added alcohol and the emotion of being turned away from the club while her friends gained entry and were having a good time, it is possible this has made her do something to herself.

If she had fallen or injured herself, it's likely she would have been found by now. If she purposely went to harm herself, I believe unfortunately, she would head to the drain area. Yes this area has been searched but it's just too large to be conclusive right away.

People do not like to mention this mental health aspect and would even deem others bad people for mentioning it but it could be a vital part in this so it's dangerous not to bring it up. The other scenario of foul play by a stranger seems very rare right now for this area.

Screams are heard all the time regarding that and a fox also makes that horrible like scream. I have to say it, with no further evidence and this many days in, it seems highly unlikely this girl is going to be found safe and OK. Do her friends confirm she didn't have her phone out with her? It seems unusual she wouldn't. I can only imagine she perhaps lost her keys which is why she didn't enter her residence and she had no phone to call anyone, but then she said she was OK to the passer by. It's all very strange.

Police confirmed her phone had been taken for evidence from her room. So yes, confirmed she had no phone. BUT her friend said in an interview that similar events had happened before but that she always, always found someone with a phone to let people know she was okay. To me, it's very strange she didn't ask the stranger in the car if she could borrow his phone to let her friends know A) she was okay or B) she was locked out. Her housemate was the girl who put Libby in the taxi. This means that if Libby had lost her key, surely she could have called said housemate to tell her she was locked out and needed her to come home. Unfortunately, all signs point to Libby not wanting to speak to her friends by this point, which is very worrying.

Looks like workers have a master key to properties, I assume owned by the same rental company, and are known to access the buildings without prior notice. Would beg the question who, apart from residents, has access to the house with the wooden gate and others in the street. The advert seems to say that the house will be available for rent from August. Is it possible that it’s actually empty at the minute and the landlord is having repairs carried out? Just a thought.

I would have thought its more likely that August is when this current academic years tenants will move out as it's student accommodation!
Often students move in with different groups of friends each year or a room might become available if one of the housemates has finished their course and the others still have a year to go.
MOO from my own experience of being a uni student in the UK!

To me, it's very strange she didn't ask the stranger in the car if she could borrow his phone to let her friends know A) she was okay or B) she was locked out.

That doesn't sound strange to me at all - who knows the numbers of their friends off by heart anymore?! Especially when very drunk. And even borrowing a phone would be accepting help from a stranger, which I can understand her being reluctant about.

That doesn't sound strange to me at all - who knows the numbers of their friends off by heart anymore?! Especially when very drunk. And even borrowing a phone would be accepting help from a stranger, which I can understand her being reluctant about.

I know that somehow even in my most drunken states I managed to remember numbers to call say a partner, parent etc. The reason I found it odd is because her friend stated in an interview that Libby often didn't take her phone out with her and there have been times in the past where she's not made it all the way home but found someone to borrow their phone and call someone. That's why I found it odd, that she's managed it in the past but not this time, if that makes sense.

The corner house with the gates is no16, it was sold last summer (£185k), there are student reviews for it going back a few years though only one recent one (Nov), so we can't be sure if the new owners are living there or have rented it out again.

How could a passer by have helped, though? She probably realised that she just needed to wait it out.

Sorry guys, but that house listing is definitely not the corner house. I found the properties it overlooks and it is in fact half way up Heathcote Street.

Google Maps
You are right. I'm not sure if the corner house might actually be number 16 Wellesley Avenue. Viewing it from the front door, the house 2 doors down is clearly number 12, then 10 next to that. It's hard to tell as some houses on Google Maps don't seem to have numbers or they're very hard to see.

How could a passer by have helped, though? She probably realised that she just needed to wait it out.
I don't think it's a case of asking how he could have helped, it's more of a worry that in her upset and drunken mindset that she just said she was fine. If she had said, say, "I've lost my key and my friend/housemate is down the road at the club", potentially he could have driven her back to get a key. Or, if she had a key, driven her home again. It's a very difficult situation to understand. I just hope the police have a lot more knowledge and idea of what happened than they're letting on and she's found soon. Sadly all we can do at this point is wait.

I'm thinking her drunkenness played a greater part than her mental health, I'll be so surprised if it turns out to be suicide. Think I'm swayed by the scream/bang situation though and the fact she's not been found in the water. She must have been pretty hammered to have not been able to play sober for a minute and get past the bouncers at Welly.

And I agree with Stella that the family/police don't want to the search to be distracted by rumours and MH concerns, we've had this happen many times, most notably with Corrie McKeague. His mum denied it until she was blue in the face, and actually, while I don't think it played a part in his case, her denial in the face of evidence was a massive distraction.

Absolutely agree. I think the MH direction is deemed not relevant at the moment and therefore being steered away from.

As for Corries mother I think trying to get public support while misleading them was a big mistake.

I don't think it's a case of asking how he could have helped, it's more of a worry that in her upset and drunken mindset that she just said she was fine. If she had said, say, "I've lost my key and my friend/housemate is down the road at the club", potentially he could have driven her back to get a key. Or, if she had a key, driven her home again. It's a very difficult situation to understand. I just hope the police have a lot more knowledge and idea of what happened than they're letting on and she's found soon. Sadly all we can do at this point is wait.
I suppose I can only comment from my own experience, which might differ from Libby's, but my reaction would have absolutely been to say I was fine if an unknown male had approached me asking if I was okay. I definitely wouldn't ask for a lift.

I expect what her friends meant about her borrowing phones to call one of her housemates was that she would borrow a fellow student's phone. They might have the numbers saved, or she could use it to message via Facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne