Found Deceased UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen getting into a taxi outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m concerned about Libby and have just created a thread for another student Daniel William’s aged 19 who is missing after coming out of a student bar last night at midnight in Reading.

I wish there was a way to keep young people drinking safe after a night out when they are alone especially in winter when they can freeze to death or end up in a frozen lake.

I’m concerned about Libby and have just created a thread for another student Daniel William’s aged 19 who is missing after coming out of a student bar last night at midnight in Reading.

I wish there was a way to keep young people drinking safe after a night out when they are alone especially in winter when they can freeze to death or end up in a frozen lake.

I am old...but did college in a freezing cold upstate NY small town where we all walked to the three bars down in the village. And no one ever ended up dead. It seems to happen monthly now.

I had a quick look at my App Store and there seem to be mobile phone apps like “Life360” and “Find My Friends.”

Hmm... this subject requires a bit more studying but if there’s a reliable and preferably free option available (for iOS, Android, Windows phones) we should definitely make a campaign out of promoting it!

Yes I'm sure they exist (and I use Find My Friends with my young son) but it needs to have an extra element of emergency.... so if one person is disconnected from the rest of the group by, say, 100 metres, they all get an alert and tracking option. The issue is more about getting people to use it which is why local businesses would have to be on board to offer the incentive. Students seem a lot wealthier than when I was at university (when 10p a pint nights were a thing, as was walking miles to get home) but I would definitely have taken advantage of a half price taxi or free drink, even a voucher to use in the student union or local pizza delivery place. Maybe even a loyalty card system where you can accrue points to redeem against local businesses.

Problem is, kids think they're immortal. And but for the grace of God go I....

Last edited:
I've probably said it before but there needs to be some sort of phone app where people can "buddy up" with at least one friend when they're out. If one of the group goes out of range it alerts the others and then tracks them. All this is do-able with current technology. Maybe such an app already exists but isn't being used much.

Perhaps in student cities the incentive could be something like discounted taxis or a free drink somewhere or something else that would appeal to students in that area, some sort of benefit in using the app. I dunno, just feels like we'll never stop them getting drunk and going missing or falling in rivers, but there MUST be an easier way of finding them much sooner or preventing disaster.

It's a good idea. But I thought I read she had left her phone at home? Or am I imagining that?

Yes I'm sure they exist (and I use Find My Friends with my young son) but it needs to have an extra element of emergency.... so if one person is disconnected from the rest of the group by, say, 100 metres, they all get an alert and tracking option. The issue is more about getting people to use it which is why local businesses would have to be on board to offer the incentive. Students seem a lot wealthier than when I was at university (when 10p a pint nights were a thing, as was walking miles to get home) but I would definitely have taken advantage of a half price taxi or free drink, even a voucher to use in the student union or local pizza delivery place. Maybe even a loyalty card system where you can accrue points to redeem against local businesses.

Problem is, kids think they're immortal. And but for the grace of God go I....
The golden rule of going anywhere male or female- stay together

The golden rule of going anywhere male or female- stay together

Easier said than done when one wants to go home and one doesn't. As someone else said, once Libby was in a taxi her friends thought she was fine and would text when she got home or whatever.

I've been that friend who has sloped off early without telling anyone, and just texted once I was home (though had anything happened in between nobody would have known). Common sense goes out of the window once alcohol is involved - a common and defining factor in the majority of these cases, especially in the UK where our drinking culture can be quite extreme. I'll never understand the lure of water though, far too many end up drowning for my liking. Just don't go near it, kids!

I am old...but did college in a freezing cold upstate NY small town where we all walked to the three bars down in the village. And no one ever ended up dead. It seems to happen monthly now.

Colgate, by any chance?
If so, it amazes me that no one ever ended up lost and freezing to death.

I agree that an app might aid in the recovery process, at the very least.

I’m wondering about the 45-minute gap between her getting into the cab and being seen by a passerby. Had she just gotten out of the cab? Did the driver tell where she’d asked to be taken?

11pm Taxi collects Libby from Wellly and drops her off on Beverley Road (opposite Beresford Road and Howarth Street). Libby sits on the bench on Beverley Road at the pedestrian only entrance to Howarth Street.

11:45pm she is seen on the bench and around this time a driver stops to ask if she's okay and she says she's fine.

No more sightings after that. Couple of mentions of Libby residing on Wellesley Aveneue, which is in the opposite direction to where I thought she lives and worryingly runs adjacent to the Beverley and Barmston Drain.

It is still slightly unclear what the timeline is reading the BBC and Hull mail.

The Taxi is said to have dropped her off on Beverley Road at the junction with Wellesley Avenue (though her mum just said at her house according to the Hull Mail) and then between that time (~23:10?) and 23:45 she has made her way ~200 metres down to the bench at the junction of Haworth Street. Then disappeared from here.

*IF* she was dropped at her house on Wellesley Avenue (not confirmed) then what prompted her to walk down to the bench in sub zero temps?

That is how I currently understand things. Will try and catch up with anything new today now.

Link to Libby's mothers' comments today: Mum of missing Libby says her daughter got home before she vanished

ETA: Where are my manners....Morning everyone.

Good morning TheTruthWillOut.

Similar to you, I am guessing the taxi dropped Libby off at home, roughly 11:10. Then at 11:45 she is seen by CCTV at the bench on Beverley Road, around the same time that the concerned driver checked on her.

This article confirms that her mum believes she was dropped off at home and also that Libby did not have her phone on her that night.

Missing Libby Squire's mum says daughter 'did get home in taxi' before vanishing

She may have made decisions that night that were out of character due to being very drunk and perhaps upset about not being admitted into the nightclub to continue the night with her friends. From my experience of nightclubs, you have to be pretty much incoherently drunk not to be admitted which doesn't bode well.

What is strange though is that having gotten home, she didn't stay there. I wonder if she somehow lost her keys, didn't have her mobile so couldn't contact her flatmates and was waiting on the bench in the hope of seeing student friends making their way home? I wonder about the possibility that while she was on the bench she saw a fellow student that she half knows and went to their place to escape the cold? All conjecture I know, but I'd say it's more likely than abduction or going with a stranger.

Missing Libby Squire's mum says daughter 'did get home in taxi' before vanishing

Mum of missing Libby Squire said her daughter "was home" before she vanished.

Police previously said they believed the 21-year-old had left a nightclub and got out near her student digs in Hull on Thursday at 11pm.

But Libby's mum, Lisa, revealed this morning that the philosophy student from the University of Hull had got home.

She wrote: "She got out of the taxi at her house. She was home ..simple."

[...]

The new information now sparks questions as to why Libby was reportedly seen sitting on a park bench 45 minutes later.

[...]

I'm very surprised that she got home and then was seen on the bench later. However, we don't know whether she actually went into her home or, as suggested above, found she didn't have her keys so went to wait for someone at the bench (though its quite way to go from her home). News reports say that the police have her phone, which suggests she didn't take it out (which is extremely odd unless she forgot it), has two phones, or did get into the house and left it then before going out again.

Sitting on the bench suggests she was waiting for someone - either flatmates as she'd forgotten her keys, or someone she had arranged (or hoped) to meet. If she left her phone at home the whole night the arrangement to meet up seems unlikely. Though of course, she might simply have got it into her head, being very drunk, that she needed to get some fresh air or didn't want to end her evening early. She might just have thought she'd see friends going either towards campus or towards student housing at that central thoroughfare.

I'm really torn on this one. Accidental death seems more likely but looking at the maps ending up in a ditch or pond seems a bit way out and girls don't tend to think about sleeping in sheds or hedges or bins. I can imagine her becoming disoriented and lost and collapsing or seeking refuge somewhere, but its strange that in her drunken state she would have found somewhere so hidden from view that she's been hard to find. Drunk people aren't usually terribly resourceful.

Of course, abduction is an option. Being so drunk that you don't get in a studenty club means she was in a very bad way. Sadly, the male motorist asking he if she was alright was never going to have been able to help her - her instinct rightly told her she shouldn't accept help from a male motorist. That was too risky. It makes it doubly sad that something bad did then did befall her. Maybe he should have called the police to alert them that she was vulnerable. Not that I want to blame him. Its a shame no one else came to her rescue or happened upon her.

It really must be awful for her family.

I'm very surprised that she got home and then was seen on the bench later. However, we don't know whether she actually went into her home or, as suggested above, found she didn't have her keys so went to wait for someone at the bench (though its quite way to go from her home). News reports say that the police have her phone, which suggests she didn't take it out (which is extremely odd unless she forgot it), has two phones, or did get into the house and left it then before going out again.

Sitting on the bench suggests she was waiting for someone - either flatmates as she'd forgotten her keys, or someone she had arranged (or hoped) to meet. If she left her phone at home the whole night the arrangement to meet up seems unlikely. Though of course, she might simply have got it into her head, being very drunk, that she .TRUNCATED

Agree- forgot her keys and was locked out. Went to the intersection to wait. Then what? Too cold to wait so where does she go after the motorist stops to help her?

Is there a place nearby that would have been open where she might have tried to hang out until her friends got home?

Last edited:
I find it unusual that the police have thanked the motorist for helping with enquiries but have not “cleared him”. Is it possible that he circled back on foot or possibly kept roaming in his car and came across her a second time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolofeist