Found Deceased UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen getting into a taxi outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Colgate, by any chance?
If so, it amazes me that no one ever ended up lost and freezing to death.

I agree that an app might aid in the recovery process, at the very least.

I’m wondering about the 45-minute gap between her getting into the cab and being seen by a passerby. Had she just gotten out of the cab? Did the driver tell where she’d asked to be taken?
or Albany?

Following this case. Having been the girl too drunk to get into the club back in my college days, I can imagine the total irrationality of her decisions. However, the fact she got home is interesting. Very possible she was locked out. Do we know anything about her flat/dorm? Is there an interior hallway or does the door open to outside? I could see sitting down in an interior hallway in front of her dorm to wait for her roommate. But if it is more like a flat/apartment with the door opening to the outdoors, I guess walking to sit on a bench at the intersection makes sense.

How is the surveillance camera coverage in the area? The fact she had her phone when she arrived home but not when she is sitting on the bench is very weird and suggests to me that she wasn’t locked out.

Ugh thoughts and prayers!!

I'm getting a worse feeling about this. I'd want to reassure myself about the motorist who stopped, the students she was out with (and later organised searches) and now the screwdriver etc.

Yes. My feelings as to what happened are changing unfortunately.
I don't think these new discoveries are unrelated.

Looking at Wellesley Avenue on Street View and it looks like standard houses many of which are let to students as the Uni is close, LVatty10.

I would guess her and two others each have a bedroom in a shared house.

Anyone know if the Police will do another PC?

Humberside Police Official Facebook Page, new post: Humberside Police
They are asking for anyone who may have been on Haworth Street on foot, in a car or any type of transport, between 11.30pm and 12.30am on the night of her disappearance (Thursday, 31 January), to call them.

So she got out of the taxi near her home address on Wellesley Avenue, but was later seen on CCTV on Beverley Road.

Its possible she never went inside but got dropped off and began to walk to where she was seen on CCTV.

Do we know where her phone was found?

Can I just ask help to clarify something here? When Libby is said to have got "home" does that mean her lodgings? Where is her family home, anyone know?
She must have been suffering from hypothermia in those weather conditions, alcohol exacerbates this of course, and (sounding like a mum here) she wasn't dressed to be outside on a cold night.
Confused and cold where would she have tried to go?
Maybe she felt embarrassed, uncomfortable that someone stopped to help and felt she had to get somewhere familiar or quiet to recover, wandered and tried to hunker down and was overtaken by cold? Hoping for a good outcome still of course.

Humberside Police Official Facebook Page, new post: Humberside Police
They are asking for anyone who may have been on Haworth Street on foot, in a car or any type of transport, between 11.30pm and 12.30am on the night of her disappearance (Thursday, 31 January), to call them.

So she got out of the taxi near her home address on Wellesley Avenue, but was later seen on CCTV on Beverley Road.

Its possible she never went inside but got dropped off and began to walk to where she was seen on CCTV.

Do we know where her phone was found?
There's a bit about the phone here:

Pal Ryan Tweddle has revealed that Libby did not have her mobile phone on her and one has since been removed by police from the student's house.

Ryan, who was with Libby on the night she vanished, said: “On Thursday night she was a bit drunk and she was hugging everyone saying it was nice the group was back together.

“We went out and went to get some cash out and when we got to the Welly she had already not made it in and was in a taxi back home."

He added: “Her disappearance does not seem real and it feels like something out of a movie.

“Police came yesterday and took some items, such as a phone, from her room."

One of Libby's best friends, Lauren Goodman, also said: "She didn't have her phone with her that night so we can't get anything from it."

Screwdriver, hammer and lip gloss found by police in search for missing student

There's a bit about the phone here:

Pal Ryan Tweddle has revealed that Libby did not have her mobile phone on her and one has since been removed by police from the student's house.

Ryan, who was with Libby on the night she vanished, said: “On Thursday night she was a bit drunk and she was hugging everyone saying it was nice the group was back together.

“We went out and went to get some cash out and when we got to the Welly she had already not made it in and was in a taxi back home."

He added: “Her disappearance does not seem real and it feels like something out of a movie.

“Police came yesterday and took some items, such as a phone, from her room."

One of Libby's best friends, Lauren Goodman, also said: "She didn't have her phone with her that night so we can't get anything from it."

Screwdriver, hammer and lip gloss found by police in search for missing student
Thanks! So she didn’t take her phone out with her at all? How did she call the taxi? Did the Welly call it for her? Or just hailed the taxi from the street?

Here in the states, I can’t imagine leaving my house without my phone. Even to walk my dogs. maybe that’s not necessarily true in the UK? But I feel like all my Brit friends carry their phones everywhere.

Halls of residence are usually the former, with an interior hallway which then leads to the individual flats. However - at least for my uni halls - you needed a fob key to get into the building in the first place, and then the normal key to get in your flat, and a third key to get into your room. If this was the case she wouldn't have been able to sit in the hallway. Though, in my experience, if you wait long enough someone will come along who is coming in or out (there were 8 flats in my building and 6 people per flat) who can open the door for you. But if TheTruthWillOut is correct, then she just lived in a standard house that was let to students. She wouldn't have been able to get in if she didn't have a key.

The police likely already know if she got locked out or not, they've probably searched her room and either found her keys or not found her keys. Of course, even if she took her keys with her, she might have lost them over the course of the night.

I wonder if her thoughts were somehow 'if I sit here and sober up in the cold maybe I can go back to the nightclub and get admitted'.

Thanks! So she didn’t take her phone out with her at all? How did she call the taxi? Did the Welly call it for her? Or just hailed the taxi from the street?

Here in the states, I can’t imagine leaving my house without my phone. Even to walk my dogs. maybe that’s not necessarily true in the UK? But I feel like all my Brit friends carry their phones everywhere.

I'm a Brit in the same age group as Libby (I'm 23) and I would never leave home without my phone. I think that's true of most people my age, but not everyone. If, maybe, it didn't fit in her handbag or she thought it would distract her from a good night out, I can see why she might have left it at home. I rarely ever went out clubbing when I was at uni (it just didn't appeal to me) so I'm not sure what the mindset is of most girls.

It's probable that she hailed the taxi from the street, or a friend called it for her.

I never leave home without my phone either but a lot of people who go out drinking leave their phone at home just in case it is lost or stolen. The best thing to do is get a cheap pay as you go/prepaid mobile/cell phone to take for calling a taxi or emergencies on nights out.

I wonder if the taxi driver waited till Libby opened her door before driving off.

@MarziPanda. Thanks for the insight! I’m older (30s) but super attached to my phone. Even more so when out with friends bc I worry about being separated. Wonder if the sighting at 12:05 is an eyewitness or if she was caught on CCTV.

Is this a “safe” area? (Nowhere is really safe). But it’s close to a uni campus so I would imagine it wouldn’t be uncommon to have young people walking around at this time of night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member