Found Deceased UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen getting into a taxi outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jenna Thompson‏Verified account @JennaThompson
THREAD: On our reporting of the disappearance of Libby Squire. Like everyone else in Hull, all of us at Hull Live have been touched by the disappearance of Libby Squire.

Since she was first reported as missing, we have been doing our best to bring you all the latest information and updates on the search. In this time, we have taken every step to make sure that we are only publishing information that is confirmed and verified.

As an example - on Sunday, there were reports that a screwdriver and hammer were found in the street where Libby lived. We deliberately did not report this because it was not confirmed that there was any link to the search for Libby.

It was later confirmed they were completely unconnected to the case. Reporting this could have caused great distress and fear unnecessarily. We understand people want as much information as possible at this very worrying time.

Now a man has been arrested, the consequences of reporting speculation could be much more serious. The police say not only could it jeopardise their investigation, but it could also seriously hamper their efforts to find Libby.

Like everyone, we are praying for Libby's safe return and are doing what we can to keep her in people's minds as the search continues. #HelpFindLibby

bbm

Couple of things...

Perhaps he's been named locally because he lives at that address. However if no one saw him taken away could he have a friend or a relative of the same age who is staying with him

Pawel is probably not an actual butcher. There are a lot of meat factories locally so it could be one of house. However when you're saying this person is being held on abducting someone butcher makes a much better sensationalised press report.

And on Clauda Lawrence... The police are pretty sure she was taken out the back of her house by someone she knew. Locally its believed the police know who but have never been able to get enough evidence for a conviction.

Some very good points here. As its the media who've name then it could be a relative in the same house.

Ah I understand now re Butcher comments.

Is that so re Claudia Lawrence? I didn't know that!

I'm still hopeful Libby will be found alive.

lucy thornton‏ @lucethornton
Police search a local park near the River Hull and a derelict building for missing student Libby Squire as they quiz a 24 year old on suspicion of abduction.

DyzuFn-XQAAOyQj.jpg

lucy thornton on Twitter

BBM

Oh, my heart. I suspected something nefarious bc of the screams heard by a neighbor, but I’d hoped that if she *had* to be gone, the screams were her falling into the water. Not a bad guy. No, no, no. I’m so sorry, Libby, for whatever happened to you. This world makes my heart hurt.

Anyone else get the feeling that the police are acting on Intel now? Either been told something by someone or witnesses have come forward to say they seen something in the area?

Yes. Really feels like there's a direction at the moment, as opposed to a few days ago. There must be a reason for the concentrated effort at the park.

We can only hope they find something soon so the family can have some answers.

Anyone else get the feeling that the police are acting on Intel now? Either been told something by someone or witnesses have come forward to say they seen something in the area?

Or he's admitted it. Or they've tested mud on his car wheels and it matches that of the park. Or his wife has found her keys or had other suspicions and told the police. Or someone saw his car near the pond. Or any other number of reasons. They do seem to have spent a lot of time around this pond for no obvious reason (ie it wasn't on Libby's route anywhere and she's unlikely to have gone there in the dark voluntarily) so you're right, I think they've had intel on it.

It's a difficult one, Steleheart, because 1) the man has been arrested on suspicion of abducting Libby and 2) the media have published his name.

I like to roll this article out occasionally - the fundamental differences between getting arrested in the UK vs the USA.

Why do British police keep arresting people and then releasing them?

Because it’s a lot easier to arrest someone in the United Kingdom, but being arrested there isn’t a big deal like it is in the United States. American police need probable cause to make an arrest, but in the United Kingdom, officers can arrest on suspicion. Probable cause is defined as the belief that a crime was probably committed, and that the suspect was probably responsible. Reasonable suspicion means that a right-minded individual would have grounds to suspect that a crime had been committed and that the suspect might be responsible. To have probable cause, greater evidence is required.

What It’s Like To Be Arrested in the U.K.
It will be interesting to see what led them to suspect this person. I wonder if they have finally had time to go through all the electronics intelligence (cameras, phone data). Random crimes are unfortunately difficult to solve.

Here in the US a probable cause affidavit will contain at least some actual evidence which the police often block from public release until later. You can sue the police and media for naming you a suspect without cause in the US so they have become more careful after the Olympic park bombing in Atlanta.

It will be interesting to see what led them to suspect this person. I wonder if they have finally had time to go through all the electronics intelligence (cameras, phone data). Random crimes are unfortunately difficult to solve.

Here in the US a probable cause affidavit will contain at least some actual evidence which the police often block from public release until later. You can sue the police and media for naming you a suspect without cause in the US so they have become more careful after the Olympic park bombing in Atlanta.

We had a case here - Christopher J (I won't name him!) was dragged through the mud in the Joanna Yeates case. Yes he looked and acted a bit odd and he lived nearby and the gutter press went to town on him. Entirely innocent, just eccentric. Lesson learned. That was years ago but the media have been a little more restrained since. For example there have been multiple arrests on suspicion of murder in the Claudia Lawrence case but I don't think any have been named. And so we have all got a bit excited.

oh no, his twitter feed talks about manhole covers being opened up

With the ponds, river, gardens, playing fields, derelect buildings being actively searched and now the man hole covers, its like LE knows for sure that she has to be there close by somewhere.

Prayers LE finds her quickly.
This has to be awful for the family having to wait to get some definite news where she is. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcee