Found Deceased UK - Lindsay Birbeck, 47, Accrington, 12 Aug 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for this. It is interesting, the subtle differences in our systems. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

ETA I was trying to reply to Angleterre. Don’t know why the quote didn’t show up!
You’re welcome

Thank you. Are they then released at age 18 or 21 or something like that? (We keep many of them in prison for life, but I don't think UK does that...?)
Again it depends
They could be sentenced to a juvenile detention facility until the age of 18 and then if a multi disciplinary team consisting of police probation Drs etc decide to release them into society then they will be paroled but if not, they go to a prison for adults once they reach that age . The focus here is very much on rehabilitation of offenders, especially those who were juveniles at the time of committing the crime and subsequently they will be released into society sooner rather than later and monitored to prevent recidivism

I wish we could "hold" somebody like that. We bring them in for questioning but they don't have to answer any questions and are pretty much free to leave unless actually charged.
Yes I get very frustrated when I read of the process that you have to go through in the USA in order to arrest someone and obtain evidence from questioning and as you say, because of your 5th amendment rights, you can say nothing and be released. It doesn’t work like that here . If you choose to say ‘no comment’ to each and every question put to you in order to preserve evidence by questioning then you are cautioned that if you fail to mention NOW something that you later rely on to use as your defence in a later court appearance then any jury is allowed to draw an inference from that fact which could be an inference that you may be guilty of the crime and you are now trying to cover your tracks so to speak now that you have had time to come up with a detailed defence plan

Again it depends
They could be sentenced to a juvenile detention facility until the age of 18 and then if a multi disciplinary team consisting of police probation Drs etc decide to release them into society then they will be paroled but if not, they go to a prison for adults once they reach that age . The focus here is very much on rehabilitation of offenders, especially those who were juveniles at the time of committing the crime and subsequently they will be released into society sooner rather than later and monitored to prevent recidivism
Not for murder, it's a mandatory life sentence. He won't be paroled until he's served the minimum tariff set by the judge.

ETA: Link
https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/FINAL-Murder-sentencing-leaflet-for-web1.pdf

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> ... we probably should just refer to him as the "suspect" and leave it at that. It seems in the UK they won't release his name anyway. I admit, though, I'd love to know more about him. How on earth does a 16 y/o wind up killing a seemingly lovely 47 y/o mother of two?

Last edited by a moderator:
... we probably should just refer to him as the "suspect" and leave it at that. It seems in the UK they won't release his name anyway. I admit, though, I'd love to know more about him. How on earth does a 16 y/o wind up killing a seemingly lovely 47 y/o mother of two?

We don't know that he killed her yet. It obviously appears he at least had something to do with trying to cover it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
To add to the other replies, we don't use the term Law Enforcement in the UK. Us Brit-sleuths have just picked it up from being on this site! They're just called the police*

*insert various slang / localised nicknames here

Not for murder, it's a mandatory life sentence. He won't be paroled until he's served the minimum tariff set by the judge.

ETA: Link
https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/FINAL-Murder-sentencing-leaflet-for-web1.pdf
Technically yes however it is not as black and white as that
Look at the two 10 year old boys who murdered 3 years old James Bulger in 1993
They served their time at a juvenile detention centre and never went to adult prison
They were released at 18 with new identities
One has since reoffended ( JV the lesser of the two involved in the evil committed and the one thought not to be evil , just a follower of RT) and the other RT ( believed to be the instigator) has not reoffend.
They were given life tariffs for murder on being found guilty and in fact there was a whole debate that went on with the Home Secretary at the time Michael Howard about extending their time in prison
So I accept what you have written but as I stated , it’s not always clear cut and I also have investigated and been the Senior Investigative Officer in charge of a murder squad investigating such a crime so know from personal experience

I believe I read early on it was 6pm - I will try to find the link.
That seems to be what I remember, as well - she was meeting her daughter for tea at 6 pm. That is a very narrow window of time for her to have met with foul play. Less than two hours. In broad daylight on a traveled road. Was she lured into someone's house? Going to speak with someone about something? She didn't go far if CCTV is negative except the 4:12 pm sighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesspi