UK - Logan Mwangi, 5, found dead in Wales River, Bridgend, 31 July 2021 *arrests, inc. minor* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
AGAIN, We need to keep some of this medical testimony in mind, when we try to assess the defendants testimony from today:
[Logan had 56 bruises, some of them very large....they were not accidental.]

Bruises
The trial resumes.

Dr Stalker is now being asked about bruises, scratches and abrasions found on Logan’s body. The court previously heard there were 56 separate injuries of this nature found on Logan’s body.

The witness said there was a difference between accidental bruises and bruises which had been caused deliberately.

Dr Stalker said: “What is striking is the number of bruises and injuries he has. Children who are mobile, playing and running around will have minor injuries from bruising but the number of those injuries are small.”

Research showed within the age group Logan was in for children who had not been abused, the mean number of bruises was around three. Most children would have seven bruises or less and the most found were 16.

Dr Stalker said: “For Logan to have 56 is clearly a big difference there.”

The doctor said the distribution of the bruises were also significant, as most children tend to have bruises on shins and elbows.

She said: “(Logan) had injuries in places that were very unusual in accidental injury… and more indicative of deliberate injury.”

Dr Stalker said the area of the body where bruises would be concerning included around the eyes, neck, abdomen and certain parts of the arms, genitals and groin area.

The witness also said the fact Logan had large bruises was also unusual.

Cole says Williamson told him Logan's death was 'freak accident'
The trial resumes. John Cole returns to the witness box to continue his evidence. He is still being questioned by his barrister David Elias QC.

Cole said when he came back from the second trip out of the house in the early hours of July 31 his partner Angharad Williamson was awake and they spoke about what they were going to do.

Mr Elias said: “What was decided?” Cole said: “That we were going to report Logan missing in the morning.”

Mr Elias said: “Whose idea was that?” Cole said: “I don’t know.”

Mr Elias said: “Who made the call to report Logan missing?” Cole said: “Angharad.”

Mr Elias said: “Before the call was made did you sleep?”

Cole said: “No….. (Williamson) lay on the bed looking at me…. I went into the living room."

Mr Elias said: “Was there any discussion if anyone else was going to be blamed for Logan’s disappearance?”

Cole said: “No.”

The court was earlier told that Williamson blamed another woman for Logan’s disappearance but Cole said that was never discussed. He added: “Me and [the youth] made it look like we were looking for Logan.”

Mr Elias said: “Had you asked Angharad what happened to Logan?"

Cole said: “Sort of….I said why was he dead and she said it was a freak accident.”

Mr Elias said: “Did you ask her anything more?”

Cole said: “No…. Because I didn’t want to know the answer…. I know I didn’t kill Logan so I didn’t know what happened.”

Mr Elias said: “Did Angharad ever ask you what had happened?” Cole said: “No.”

He added: “It was all overwhelming, I knew it was the last time I was going to see Angharad…. I knew something had happened.”

Logan Mwangi murder trial continues with defendant giving evidence

Possibly because from where LM was found in the river I assume he was thrown in?
No mention of wet clothes, trousers, of JC.
It could be about the harshness, violent act of throwing IMO
Placing on a riverbank sounds more of a 'gentle' act - JC maybe trying to reflect this in himself. Gentle taps on LM's hand and head etc etc.

ETA - I think JC is just minimising his part in all of this, it's like I'll admit to this and that in hope the jury thinks I'm telling the truth - classic tactic IMO.

Can't think of any other reason.

JMO

I'm thinking it's to protect the youth. If Logan was thrown from the bridge the youth can't claim he didn't know. Although I'm presuming they returned with the empty bag as there was no mention of Logan being found in or with a bag.

The only reason I can think of, why JC would he say put him on the riverbank and not the river, is to implicate the youth, as in the youth must have moved him :eek:
But if he wanted to implicate him he would have said the youth was aware he was carrying a body. Whereas JC’s testimony appears to contradicts the youths and appears to be trying to minimise his involvement at all. At this stage if he wants to implicate him why not actually do so.
I wonder whether the truth is a bit more subtle in that maybe JC suspected/still suspects/knows the youth had a large part to play in Logan’s death. So they either both knew what they were doing and jointly took Logan to the river to dispose of him. Or maybe some of what JC said is true but that by coming along for the walk as it were and not even really engaging which what had just happened (he’s just dumped Logan in the river and youth is not even curious as to why) JC is horrified that the youth seems to have just accepted that this is normal and is grateful JC is trying to get rid of the evidence, so to speak.

Cole says couple talked 'about what we were going to do if the police turned up'
Defendant John Cole tells the court he and the youth walked all over Sarn early on the morning of July 31, 2021, shouting: “Logan” to make it look like they were looking for him.

He said: “I tried to lead to the police where I had left Logan because I felt guilty about how I left him by the river. I knew it was wrong.”

The court heard Cole and the youth went to Maesglas while Williamson went to hospital. Mr Elias said: “Do you remember making any phone calls?” Cole said: “They said I did but I don’t really remember it.” At the time Cole said he had an “internet phone” and a mobile phone with the same number.

On August 1 Cole, Williamson, and the youth were arrested on suspicion of Logan’s murder. Mr Elias said: “Was it a surprise to you you were arrested for something?” Cole said: “No.”

Mr Elias said: “Did you expect to be arrested?” Cole said: “We both did.”

Mr Elias said: “Did you talk about the police?” Cole said: “About what we were going to do if the police turned up.”

The court was earlier told that Williamson blamed another woman for Logan’s disappearance but Cole said that was never discussed. He added: “Me and [the youth] made it look like we were looking for Logan.”

BBM.
Whoahhh.
Made it look like we were looking for Logan.
Has he slipped up there or just admitted the youth knew? The youth genuinely thought LM was missing didn't he?

Cole denies washing blood-stained bed linen
Defendant John Cole is asked about videos watched on Angharad Williamson’s phone around the time of Logan’s death.

His barrister, David Elias QC, said: “We’ve heard evidence about various videos on Angharad Williamson’s Google account dealing with the pimple popper videos. Did you know before all this happened Angharad watched such videos?” Cole said: “Yes.”

Mr Elias said: “Did you watch any videos like that?” Cole said: “No.”

Mr Elias said: “Did you know she had a fascination with those videos?" Cole said: “Yes. She was obsessed with popping spots on my back.”

Cole was also asked about an ingrown toenail video. He said: “I thought Angharad was watching them to help me with my ingrown toenail.”

The defendant was also asked about videos involving murders, “crocodile tears”, “acid baths”, and drug dealers.

Mr Elias said: “Did you know Angharad was watching such videos?” Cole said: “No.”

Cole was asked if he pleaded guilty to perverting the course of justice, namely moving the body of Logan to the area of the river, removing clothing belonging to Logan to the river, and making a false report to police Logan was missing. He said: “Yes.”

Mr Elias said: “Do you accept washing the blood-stained linen of Logan Mwangi?” Cole said: “No I don’t.”

Mr Elias said: “When Logan went to bed on the Friday night was there a sheet on the bed?”

Cole said: “No…. I knew that sheet had been washed earlier on in the day….. There was a mattress and protector and his pillow.”

Mr Elias said: “Did you play any part in inflicting the injuries which caused Logan’s death?” Cole said: “No.”

Mr Elias said: “Did you ever harm Logan?” Cole said: “No.”

Mr Elias has finished his questioning and Peter Rouch QC, for Williamson, asks to speak to the judge in the absence of the jury.

Just thinking about the youths testimony again. If he thought that the bags contained polystyrene and broken toys (probably plastic) why would they go back to see if they had sunk. Surely they would float unless weighted down. Also corroborates that Logan went into the water, not placed at the side.

Cole says Williamson told him Logan's death was 'freak accident'

Mr Elias said: “What was decided?” Cole said: “That we were going to report Logan missing in the morning.”

Mr Elias said: “Whose idea was that?” Cole said: “I don’t know.”

Mr Elias said: “Who made the call to report Logan missing?” Cole said: “Angharad.”

Mr Elias said: “Before the call was made did you sleep?”

Cole said: “No….. (Williamson) lay on the bed looking at me…. I went into the living room."

Mr Elias said: “Was there any discussion if anyone else was going to be blamed for Logan’s disappearance?”

Cole said: “No.”

Mr Elias said: “Had you asked Angharad what happened to Logan?"

Cole said: “Sort of….I said why was he dead and she said it was a freak accident

He’s really trying to land her in it 100% isn’t he.

Her big problem now though is that because her police statement about being asleep the whole night and having no knowledge of anything until the morning is quite obviously garbage (from her phone use evidence and the lights going on and off while the 2 of them were out), his statement on the stand looks to be the more credible.

Cole denies washing blood-stained bed linen
Defendant John Cole is asked about videos watched on Angharad Williamson’s phone around the time of Logan’s death.

His barrister, David Elias QC, said: “We’ve heard evidence about various videos on Angharad Williamson’s Google account dealing with the pimple popper videos. Did you know before all this happened Angharad watched such videos?” Cole said: “Yes.”

Mr Elias said: “Did you watch any videos like that?” Cole said: “No.”

Mr Elias said: “Did you know she had a fascination with those videos?" Cole said: “Yes. She was obsessed with popping spots on my back.”

Cole was also asked about an ingrown toenail video. He said: “I thought Angharad was watching them to help me with my ingrown toenail.”

The defendant was also asked about videos involving murders, “crocodile tears”, “acid baths”, and drug dealers.

Mr Elias said: “Did you know Angharad was watching such videos?” Cole said: “No.”

Cole was asked if he pleaded guilty to perverting the course of justice, namely moving the body of Logan to the area of the river, removing clothing belonging to Logan to the river, and making a false report to police Logan was missing. He said: “Yes.”

Mr Elias said: “Do you accept washing the blood-stained linen of Logan Mwangi?” Cole said: “No I don’t.”

Mr Elias said: “When Logan went to bed on the Friday night was there a sheet on the bed?”

Cole said: “No…. I knew that sheet had been washed earlier on in the day….. There was a mattress and protector and his pillow.”

Mr Elias said: “Did you play any part in inflicting the injuries which caused Logan’s death?” Cole said: “No.”

Mr Elias said: “Did you ever harm Logan?” Cole said: “No.”

Mr Elias has finished his questioning and Peter Rouch QC, for Williamson, asks to speak to the judge in the absence of the jury.

So then Logan was bleeding on to his sheets etc from the Thursday night or maybe even earlier.

He’s really trying to land her in it 100% isn’t he.

Her big problem now though is that because her police statement about being asleep the whole night and having no knowledge of anything until the morning is quite obviously garbage (from her phone use evidence and the lights going on and off while the 2 of them were out), his statement on the stand looks to be the more credible.
Surely she has to take the stand? I’m willing it to happen so badly! Wonder what her lawyer is asking the judge?

So, JC could have, sort of, explained away his 'moral dilemma' comment here.

By saying that the youth was, indeed, was 'making out they were looking for LM' JC has effectively helped secure a PTCOJ conviction for the youth but NOT a murder conviction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member