UK - Logan Mwangi, 5, found dead in Wales River, Bridgend, 31 July 2021 *arrests, inc. minor* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Logan Mwangi murder trial latest as mum gives evidence

I felt bad my son was dead and I didnt know how he died and it was in my house'

Defendant Angharad Williamson is again asked about her police interviews. Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC, cross-examining, said: “What did you do in that first interview?”

Wiliamson said: “I was selfish, I thought of myself. Is that what you want to hear?…. I was looking out for myself, I thought Jay would kill me. I was guilty about the Thursday. I felt bad my son was dead and I didnt know how he died and it was in my house.”

Ms Rees said: “You might have had a clue how it happened.” Williamson said: “I never thought in a million years Jay or [the youth] would hurt Logan like that.”

Ms Rees said: “I’ve got a hint – when Cole said he was going to kill Logan.”

Williamson said: “People say that all the time. They say: ‘I’m going to *advertiser censored**** kill you, you’re p****** me off’. It doesn’t mean they’re going to do it.”

Ms Rees said: “If he had repeated the threat would you have done something about it?”

Williamson said: “Yes….He sounded like he was saying it in frustration – he didn’t get aggressive.”

Ms Rees said: “It didn’t bother you your partner had threatened to kill your son?”

Wiliamson said: “Of course it bothered me, that’s why I was planning to leave Jay… I wanted to go somewhere where Jay wouldn’t find us because he was in the SAS…. I had no idea where to go…”

Ms Rees said: “You had an army of social workers to help you, close friends, and a devoted mother who would do anything to support you and yet you did nothing?”

Crying, Williamson said: “I was planning on leaving him, I just didn’t do it quick enough.”

Ms Rees said: “You lied to cover him in a police interview about the death of your five-year-old child.”

Williamson said: “Yes.”

Ms Rees said: “Why didn’t you think: ‘This was my moment to tell the police about what was going on’? You were safe in the police station, had a solicitor with you, Jay couldn’t touch you there, he was arrested and had been locked up in a jail elsewhere. Why were you scared?” Williamson said: “He had connections in prison.”

Ms Rees said: “Was that more important than getting justice for Logan?” Williamson said: “I put myself first.”

Ms Rees said: “That’s what you do – you protect yourself at Logan’s expense.” Williamson said: “No.”

The barrister said Williamson had a “casual relationship with the truth” when it came to speaking to the police. Williamson denied this.

Ms Rees said: “Lying to police about serious injuries to Logan is something you do Ms Williamson.” Williamson said: “I have done, not do.”

Ms Rees said: “You did it in the interview about his murder.” Williamson said: “Yes.”

Williamson puts her head in her hands and appears to be sobbing.

Prosecution closes cases in Logan Mwangi murder trial

'How did you carry Logan?'

DC Neal said: “It sounds like that caused you a bit of distress.

“Is there anything you did during that day with all of this going on which might have accounted for what has happened to Logan here?”

Cole said: “Not that I am aware of.”

When asked about why he decided to dump Logan near the river, Cole said: “I was just panicking. I went down there and put him on the edge of the bank, looked up and (the youth) was there. I said ‘Come on (the youth) let’s go’... I literally put him down, heard sounds behind me and saw (the youth).”

DC Neal said: “How did you carry Logan?”

Cole said: “In my arms. I placed him down, he was lying on his side.”

DC Neal said: “He was found in the river.”

Cole said: “I didn’t put him in the river.”

DC Neal said: “I have seen that video of him being recovered, he was 10 feet out in the river, do you know how he came from the bank into the river?

Cole said: “No.”

DC Neal said: “Could (the youth) have moved him?”

Cole said: “No, (the youth) came nowhere near him.”

DC Neal said: “Not a lot of thought went into how you dumped Logan?”

Cole said: “No.”

The defendant said he went back out to dump the pyjama top across the bridge.

I'm not recalling that JC testified that he was previously untruthful during his interview that he carried Logan in his arms, and made no mention of the Nike holdall bag.

Seems to me that JC's last version of stuffing Logan in the Nike holdall bag, with AW's assistance, never came up before until he was on the witness stand.

Understandable. He probably wasn’t thinking clearly

Agreed. My girls were terrified of the shower, but not of water per se (they were scared of the water suddenly going too hot or too cold... crappy rented house plumbing!) I wonder if Logan was scared of the shower, but then why would they not give him a bath instead? Was he scared of that too? Why? Someone earlier (can't remember who, sorry) suggested he hated it because he was roughly handled at wash time. That is a possibility in my mind.
I'd like to add, that if LM had not experienced the dangers of open or flowing water like a river, then his experience of being near water wouldn't cause a fearful reaction. I too believe he was afraid of showering due to a history of bad experiences.
At 5yo, we base fears on experience, which is why many children are said to be fearless.

I’ve lived in my house for 5 years now..the day after I moved in I heard that 2 children aged 4 & 5 died here..the mum had gone to a pink concert with another man & the dad got wind of it..they were drowned by their dad in the bath that night..the reason he drowned the babies in the bath was because the mum had a fear of water & this was his way of getting her back..I know it not relevant to Logan but there’s noway he was scared of water..why would there be pictures of him standing by the river smiling if that was the case?

Going back to the burn on the neck, I've said before that that could have been caused by hot water. Possibly the tap, as they said, as taps can get very hot, but water can suddenly run hotter than expected especially from a shower or mixer tap. It can scald the neck if you're washing hair.
That injury could easily have been related to the bath or shower and be another reason why he was scared.

I’ve lived in my house for 5 years now..the day after I moved in I heard that 2 children aged 4 & 5 died here..the mum had gone to a pink concert with another man & the dad got wind of it..they were drowned by their dad in the bath that night..the reason he drowned the babies in the bath was because the mum had a fear of water & this was his way of getting her back..I know it not relevant to Logan but there’s noway he was scared of water..why would there be pictures of him standing by the river smiling if that was the case?

Dear lord, what a world we live in.

12:24PHILIP DEWEY
'If I was awake and saw them attacking him I would have dragged him off him'
Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC, cross-examining, says to defendant Angharad Williamson: “Tell us the truth – who killed Logan?”

Williamson said: “Jay and [the youth].... They were the only two people in the house awake.”

Ms Rees said: “Did you see it?” Williamson said: “No I didn’t.”

Ms Rees said: “Did you hear it?” Williamson said: “No I didn’t ….. In the CCTV you can see them taking my child out of the house.”

Ms Rees said: “You know how Logan died because you were awake and there.” Crying, Williamson said: “No I wasn’t…. If I was awake and saw them attacking him I would have dragged him off him.” She added: “I never wanted my child dead, I never wanted…."

The defendant appeals to her co-defendant: “Just tell the truth Jay.”

Ms Rees said: “Do you feel any reason to protect them?” Williamson said: “Not when they’ve killed my child no… I wasn’t awake when Logan died.”

Ms Rees said: “We know that you were because the light came on in Logan’s bedroom.” Williamson said: “No, that could have been either of the boys coming back to cover for themselves.”

Ms Rees said: “You’re lying for yourself to cover up your involvement in Logan’s death.”

Again appealing to Cole, Williamson said: “I beg you Jay just tell the truth please.”

I presume the cameras following AW around when in custody are for the Channel 4 series '24 Hours in Police Custody'
It will probably be broadcast a few months after the sentencing.
That would be interesting to see but a shame we have no other footage to compare her demeanour to. I imagine she was enjoying the attention IMO

Logan Mwangi murder trial latest as mum admits 'selfish' lies

Defendant agrees Logan felt 'last in the pecking order'

Prosecutor Caroline Rees is still cross-examining Angharad Williamson. The topic changes to the relationship between John Cole and Logan.

Ms Rees said: “Was John Cole jealous of your relationship with Logan?” Williamson said: “Yes……Looking back at things, like when he was being over-cautious… It was over the top. He said Logan needed to be more independent and play on his own. Little things like that. Logan was attached at my hip, we did everything together.”

Ms Rees said: “That changed because of John Cole and your relationship with Cole?” Williamson said: “Yes. Every family changes when a new person comes in.”

Ms Rees said: “Did he resent Logan because he reminded him of Ben Mwangi and the relationship you had with Ben Mwangi?”

Williamson said: “I didn’t talk about my relationship with Ben….. He was quite obsessive about the idea I was having an affair with him.”

Ms Rees said: “Did Logan look like Ben? Williamson said: “He was the spit of him.”

Ms Rees said: “Did you like Logan’s curly hair?” Williamson said: “My mother loved his curly hair but bless him he got really sweaty on his head.”

Ms Rees said: “You shaved his head so he looked liked John Cole.” Williamson said: “And his dad, he wanted to look like everybody…. I used to have the underneath of my hair shaved. He looked up to [Cole], he was desperate for a father figure.”

Ms Rees said: “But the relationship deteriorated.” Williamson said: “Yes it did.”

Ms Rees said: “That resulted in Logan being quite isolated.” Williamson said: “Yes it did……”

Ms Rees said: “Did Logan feel last in the pecking order?” Williamson said: “Yes.”

Ms Rees said: “And Logan was getting disciplined by John in a way different from before.” Williamson said: “Yes.”

I felt bad my son was dead and I didnt know how he died and it was in my house'

Defendant Angharad Williamson is again asked about her police interviews. Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC, cross-examining, said: “What did you do in that first interview?”

Wiliamson said: “I was selfish, I thought of myself. Is that what you want to hear?…. I was looking out for myself, I thought Jay would kill me. I was guilty about the Thursday. I felt bad my son was dead and I didnt know how he died and it was in my house.”

Ms Rees said: “You might have had a clue how it happened.” Williamson said: “I never thought in a million years Jay or [the youth] would hurt Logan like that.”

Ms Rees said: “I’ve got a hint – when Cole said he was going to kill Logan.”

Williamson said: “People say that all the time. They say: ‘I’m going to *advertiser censored**** kill you, you’re p****** me off’. It doesn’t mean they’re going to do it.”

Ms Rees said: “If he had repeated the threat would you have done something about it?”

Williamson said: “Yes….He sounded like he was saying it in frustration – he didn’t get aggressive.”

Ms Rees said: “It didn’t bother you your partner had threatened to kill your son?”

Wiliamson said: “Of course it bothered me, that’s why I was planning to leave Jay… I wanted to go somewhere where Jay wouldn’t find us because he was in the SAS…. I had no idea where to go…”

Ms Rees said: “You had an army of social workers to help you, close friends, and a devoted mother who would do anything to support you and yet you did nothing?”

Crying, Williamson said: “I was planning on leaving him, I just didn’t do it quick enough.”

Ms Rees said: “You lied to cover him in a police interview about the death of your five-year-old child.”

Williamson said: “Yes.”

Ms Rees said: “Why didn’t you think: ‘This was my moment to tell the police about what was going on’? You were safe in the police station, had a solicitor with you, Jay couldn’t touch you there, he was arrested and had been locked up in a jail elsewhere. Why were you scared?” Williamson said: “He had connections in prison.”

Ms Rees said: “Was that more important than getting justice for Logan?” Williamson said: “I put myself first.”

Ms Rees said: “That’s what you do – you protect yourself at Logan’s expense.” Williamson said: “No.”

The barrister said Williamson had a “casual relationship with the truth” when it came to speaking to the police. Williamson denied this.

Ms Rees said: “Lying to police about serious injuries to Logan is something you do Ms Williamson.” Williamson said: “I have done, not do.”

Ms Rees said: “You did it in the interview about his murder.” Williamson said: “Yes.”

Williamson puts her head in her hands and appears to be sobbing.
"Casual relationship with the truth".
Bravo Ms Rees!

Rsbm

…..Crying, Williamson said: “No I wasn’t…. If I was awake and saw them attacking him I would have dragged him off him.”….

She didn’t though, did she? Not on the Thursday.

ETA

interesting use of ‘them’ and ‘him’ - from plural to singular in the same sentence. Although, I appreciate she is under stress.

Ms Rees said: “Did you like Logan’s curly hair?” Williamson said: “My mother loved his curly hair

You are asked a direct question about your opinion of your deceased child, and you provide your mother's opinion instead?

Apologies for posting frequently, but her testimony is beyond anything I expected! She has baffled me completely

'I made mistakes but I loved Logan'

Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC, who is cross-examining Angharad Williamson, asks the defendant about Logan’s punishments.

Ms Rees said: “You said Cole used the phrase: ‘The only way this boy understands is pain’.” Williamson said this was said by Cole on Thursday, July 29.

Williamson admitted she was aware Logan did press-ups but denied knowing he was “shaking and struggling”.

When asked what she thought of the punishment Williamson said: “I think it’s disgusting… Jay was doing exercise in the kitchen and [Logan] would be joining in. [He] was desperate to be like his dad.”

Ms Rees said: “You weren’t even aware that behaviour was going on in your house.”

Williamson said: “No I didn’t…. I was in a different room.”

Ms Rees said: “Did you not care?” Williamson said: “Please stop saying that. I made mistakes but I loved Logan.”

Ms Rees said: “Or approved of it?” Williamson said: “No I didn’t.”

The defendant said Cole took Logan outside and was made to stand outside facing the wall in his pyjamas and barefeet after he was balancing on a chair.

Williamson said: “It wasn’t done in a malicious way. You’re all twisting it and it’s not right.”

Ms Rees said: “He had food withheld from him.” Williamson said: “Jay and I paid for takeaways. He said Logan had given him a dirty look and said he didn’t want to give takeaway food to an ungrateful child who didn’t respect him. He said he would give him Weetabix and he would learn.”

Ms Rees said: “What did you do to stop Cole’s behaviour?” Williamson said: “It said it wasn’t right but I didn’t challenge it.”

Ms Rees said: “What do you think of that behaviour now?” Williamson said: “I think it’s absolutely *advertiser censored***** disgusting…. I should have had a backbone and left him months earlier.”

Ms Rees said: “You had a backbone with teachers.” Williamson said: “Because I was overprotective but I’m not allowed to use that word any more.”

Ms Rees said: “You don’t want to use that word because it’s been shown as a sham by your behaviour.”

Mr Hipkin said: “Do you need a moment?” Williamson said: “That was the last moment I saw my child alive so yes I need a moment.”

I'd like to have seen her say this. It has a ring of truth to me, but so hard to tell in text.

Hmmm. It sounds curt and cliche to me. I think I’d have a lot less fight and a lot more hurt. I might be THINKING that’s the last time I saw him alive, but I’d apologise and try to pull myself together. As you say, maybe needed to see it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1