GUILTY UK - Logan Mwangi, 5, found dead in Wales River, Bridgend, 31 July 2021 *arrests, inc. minor* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so joint enterprise can be applied here. but knowing about serious injury isn't enough, you have to encourage it...
That seems weird to me---because knowing about the serious injury, but doing nothing about it, means the child would die without getting treatment.

So isn't that assisting the murder, in effect? I think AW's guilt stems from her refusing to call for help, when she knew he was seriously injured, imo.

13:03BENJAMIN WRIGHT

'You will have to consider....'

Mrs Justice Jefford added: “The point here is that this offence (causing or allowing death of a child) can be committed by someone who causes physical harm to a child but can also be committed by someone who doesn’t commit physical harm but knows there is risk of harm to the child and doesn’t take reasonable steps to protect the child from that risk and that risk materialises.

“The first point is did Logan die of an unlawful act? There’s no issue in this case about whether Logan died as a result of an unlawful act.

“The next issue is whether the defendant was a member of the same household and had frequent contact with him. John Cole and Angharad Williamson were members of the same household as Logan.

“You will have to consider at the time of the unlawful act there existed a significant risk of serious physical harm being caused to Logan by an unlawful act by a person who was a member of the same household.

“If you did not think that risk existed you must find them not guilty, if you think such a risk did exist you must consider whether the defendant was aware of that and took reasonable steps to protect Logan. If you’re not sure they failed to do so you must find them not guilty/ If you are sure you must find them guilty.”

Logan Mwangi murder trial live updates as judge gives legal directions

13:06PHILIP DEWEY

'The prosecution say....'

The judge continues to discuss the charge of allowing or causing the death of a child.

She said: “The prosecution say John Cole and Angharad Williamson knew Logan was at risk of serious harm from the other parent or from (the youth) defendant. That’s one of the reasons you have heard evidence about how Logan had been treated unkindly and uncaringly and how previous injuries of a broken arm and clavicle had been dealt with.

“John Cole said Angharad Williamson had previously burnt Logan and manhandled him, causing his pyjamas top to break. Angharad Williamson’s case is there was a serious assault on Logan on the Thursday and did not do anything to protect Logan.

“The prosecution say reasonable steps would have been to leave (Cole), contact the police or social services or seek medical attention. Both defendants deny they were or ought to have been aware of the significant risk of serious harm to Logan.

“John Cole says Logan fell down the stairs and there was no cover up, (the youth) was not responsible and he was aware Logan from a wheelchair but was not aware that had caused any injury. He said the teaspoon incident was momentary.

“Angharad Williamson said when Logan fell downstairs she thought he had dislocated his shoulder and John Cole had told her he had been in the SAS and knew how to put shoulders back in and she believed him.

“When she realised the following day Logan was in pain she took him to hospital. She claimed she had tried to put the shoulder back in to get Jay out of trouble. She said when Logan fell out of the wheelchair she had no idea he had injured his clavicle. She denied the tea spoon incident entirely.

“She said when Logan was assaulted she ran from the house to get help and started to plan to leave Jay but said it was complex because he said he would kill Logan if she left him and would always be able to find her. She said as long she stayed with him Logan was safe and showed no signs of being hurt.”

Causing or allowing a child to suffer serious physical harm/ Causing or allowing a child to die

Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims Act 2004, s.5

Effective from: 01 January 2019

Causing or allowing a child to suffer serious physical harm
Indictable only
Maximum: 10 years’ custody
Offence range: Community order – 9 years’ custody

Causing or allowing a child to die
Indictable only
Maximum: 14 years’ custody
Offence range: 1 year’s custody – 14 years’ custody

This guideline applies only when the victim of the offence is aged 15 or under.

Causing or allowing a child to suffer serious physical harm/ Causing or allowing a child to die – Sentencing

Perverting the course of justice

The next charge to be considered is perverting the course of justice.

Mrs Justice Jefford said all defendants had been accused of acts intending to pervert the course of justice and four specific acts had been identified.

These included; 1) Moving Logan’s body 2) Disposing of a damaged pyjama top 3) Washing the undersheet 4) Making a false report to police Logan was missing.

The judge again reminded the jury that Cole had pleaded guilty to this charge, namely acts one, two and four.

Referring to the case of Williamson and (the youth), the judge said: “You must be sure they did one or more of the things I have summarised, you do not need to be sure the defendant you are considering did all of these things.

“If you are not sure the defendant did any of these things you must find him or her not guilty of count three.

“In Angharad Williamson’s case there is no suggestion she physically removed Logan’s body from the house or disposed of the damaged pyjama top but the prosecution’s case is she encouraged John Cole and (the youth) to do so and agreed this is what they would do. If you’re sure of that you should find her guilty of this offence.

“In the case of (the youth), he didn’t personally make a report to the police but the prosecution say he encouraged or assisted John Cole and Angharad Williamson in making a false report in what he did to try and create the impression Logan was missing and he and John Cole were looking for him and shouting Logan’s name.”

I can't see AW now going down for murder, in the same way Frankie Smith didn't get murder. There was no evidence she caused physical harm, but she didn't do anything to prevent someone else causing harm. I think AW will get manslaughter and PTCOJ. Murder for the other two

13:03BENJAMIN WRIGHT

Mrs Justice Jefford added: “The point here is that this offence (causing or allowing death of a child) can be committed by someone who causes physical harm to a child but can also be committed by someone who doesn’t commit physical harm but knows there is risk of harm to the child and doesn’t take reasonable steps to protect the child from that risk and that risk materialises.

“The first point is did Logan die of an unlawful act? There’s no issue in this case about whether Logan died as a result of an unlawful act.

“The next issue is whether the defendant was a member of the same household and had frequent contact with him. John Cole and Angharad Williamson were members of the same household as Logan.

“You will have to consider at the time of the unlawful act there existed a significant risk of serious physical harm being caused to Logan by an unlawful act by a person who was a member of the same household.

“If you did not think that risk existed you must find them not guilty, if you think such a risk did exist you must consider whether the defendant was aware of that and took reasonable steps to protect Logan. If you’re not sure they failed to do so you must find them not guilty/ If you are sure you must find them guilty.”

Ok, THis^^^ is the description that describes what AW is guilty of, IMO:

(causing or allowing death of a child)

Mrs Justice Jefford added:
“The point here is that this offence (causing or allowing death of a child) can be committed by someone who causes physical harm to a child but can also be committed by someone who doesn’t commit physical harm but knows there is risk of harm to the child and doesn’t take reasonable steps to protect the child from that risk and that risk materialises.

if you think such a risk did exist you must consider whether the defendant was aware of that and took reasonable steps to protect Logan....
...If you are sure you must find them guilty.”

There’s always a last minute panic on these threads that justice won’t be done, yet invariably it is.

We have to remember that the jury have heard a lot more than we have, and seen evidence, photos and the scene, as well as the demeanour of those involved.

I can't see AW now going down for murder, in the same way Frankie Smith didn't get murder. There was no evidence she caused physical harm, but she didn't do anything to prevent someone else causing harm. I think AW will get manslaughter and PTCOJ. Murder for the other two

Causing or allowing the death of a child seems to be the direction the Judge is giving.
Which will be very disappointing as she will be out in 7 years, less her remand time. And possibly even less than that, if the full 14 years is not given.

Ok, THis^^^ is the description that describes what AW is guilty of, IMO:

(causing or allowing death of a child)

Mrs Justice Jefford added:
“The point here is that this offence (causing or allowing death of a child) can be committed by someone who causes physical harm to a child but can also be committed by someone who doesn’t commit physical harm but knows there is risk of harm to the child and doesn’t take reasonable steps to protect the child from that risk and that risk materialises.

if you think such a risk did exist you must consider whether the defendant was aware of that and took reasonable steps to protect Logan....
...If you are sure you must find them guilty.”

Indictable only

Causing or allowing the death of a child seems to be the direction the Judge is giving.
Which will be very disappointing as she will be out in 7 years, less her remand time. And possibly even less than that, if the full 14 years is not given.
yes I realised that after posting... surely PTCOJ will carry extra time?

I think all of them have been shown to allow the death of a child and pevert the course of justice ... I would put money on JC murdering logan but not sure if I could "be sure"
I think AW version of the attack is the truth but she is downplaying the severity of the attack to try and save her own skin

I think after all, AW knew he was dead, JC and youth did it.

But JC brought up the baby that AW would lose the baby too and never see baby again, and he himself would go away for life, (and maybe he said AW would also go to prison herself) so they need to cover it up. AW agreed to try and cover it up, to carry on life with baby and JC.

I think all of them have been shown to allow the death of a child and pevert the course of justice ... I would put money on JC murdering logan but not sure if I could "be sure"
I think AW version of the attack is the truth but she is downplaying the severity of the attack to try and save her own skin

I agree that AW is trying to downplay the severity of the attack----but that backfires on her I bet.

I think the jury will think about that closely----what mother watches a big ,strong, grown man punch their 5 yr old 4 times in the stomach, seeing him fly across the hall---and then says 'it didn't seem that bad, I gave him Calpol and he was fine...' <<<that sounds ridiculous--and the jury will see through it---obviously AW knew that was serious. And she did nothing about it.

From the extent of the injuries, I am in no doubt that there was more than one attack.
Agreed, the death being caused by more than one injury, not necessarily during a single attack, points to all of them being involved and allowing it to continue IMO.
Surely 2 people wouldn't stand by whilst 1 person inflicts 58 injuries to a defenceless child?!

I agree that AW is trying to downplay the severity of the attack----but that backfires on her I bet.

I think the jury will think about that closely----what mother watches a big ,strong, grown man punch their 5 yr old 4 times in the stomach, seeing him fly across the hall---and then says 'it didn't seem that bad, I gave him Calpol and he was fine...' <<<that sounds ridiculous--and the jury will see through it---obviously AW knew that was serious. And she did nothing about it.

Agreed and what's scary is that there was probably so many more incidents that happened that we don't know about, I think it's clear AW picked JC over her son, reminds me of the Arthur case recently.

Indictable only
So they could be out in 7 years even if they get the maximum sentence, that's not justice. I hope that neither JC nor Aw are allowed to see the baby again or have any contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member