UK - Logan Mwangi, 5, found dead in Wales River, Bridgend, 31 July 2021 *arrests, inc. minor*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Defendant sobs as video showing son's body played to court
Video footage is played to the court of PC Lauren Keen discovering Logan Mwangi in the river and his body is visible on the footage.

Angharad Williamson is sobbing in the dock as the footage is played.

PC Keen passed Logan to PCSO Freeth and was able to get him out of the river so they could commence CPR.

An ambulance was called.

Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC said: “What was your view as to whether he was alive or dead?”

PC Keen said: “In my immediate opinion Logan was already deceased but I was going to try my best until paramedics arrived.”

Footage of CPR being commenced on Logan is played to the court. The footage has been blurred so we cannot see Logan’s body.

Two voices can be heard shouting “Logan” in the background. It is believed this is John Cole and the youth defendant.

A still from the body-worn footage is again shown to the jury.

Ms Rees has finished her questions.

Officer asked about depth of water
Peter Rouch QC, for Angharad Williamson, asks PC Lauren Keen how deep the river was at the time Logan’s body was found.

PC Keen said it was around one-and-a-half feet deep.

There are no further questions from any of the barristers and PC Keen has finished her evidence

Logan Mwangi murder trial latest updates as case continues

PCSO tells court of 'panicked' reaction to discovering body
The next witness is PCSO Peter Freeth, who also discovered Logan’s body.

Describing the moment he discovered Logan, PCSO Freeth said: “We could see a three or four-foot gap in the metal fencing…

“I climbed through the gap, the water was just in front of me. As I looked down I could see a child’s body lying in the water on its right side in a foetal position. It was submerged in the water and a few feet from the bank.

“I panicked first of all as I didn’t expect to see what I saw in there… I went back and called for PC [Lauren] Keen and let her knew where I was and both went down the bank to the river…

“[PC Keen] ran back to where I was and ran down the bank into the water. I went to the edge of the water and she passed Logan up to me. I lifted him by his arms and spun him round onto the bank.”

Officer describes hearing male voices shouting Logan's name
Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC asks witness PCSO Peter Freeth if he was able to see Logan’s head.

PCSO Freeth said: “I don’t remember at that point… I lifted him up the bank, I slipped over and fell as I was carrying him. When I laid him on the flat of the park I noticed a graze to the top of his forehead.”

Ms Rees said: “What was your opinion as to whether he was alive or dead?”

PCSO Freeth said: “Our role was just to preserve life, that’s what we were taught. We just did all we could and if there is a chance we have to give it.”

Ms Rees said: “Were there any signs of life?”

PCSO Freeth said: “We couldn’t get a response and we just carried on with CPR because it’s not in our position to stop.”

Paramedics were called to the scene but PCSO Freeth said he and PC Lauren Keen carried on CPR for 10 minutes until they arrived.

Ms Rees said: “Did you hear people shouting 'Logan'?”

PCSO Freeth said: “I was conscious throughout my whole time in the park there were male voices shouting 'Logan'.”

When asked to describe what Logan was wearing, PCSO Freeth said: “Yes, I remember our initial description was he was missing wearing Spiderman pyjamas. I remember dinosaur pyjama trousers and Spiderman pyjamas on top.”

PCSO Freeth has finished his evidence

Paramedic describes seeing 'visibly distressed' woman near the scene
The next witness is paramedic Mark Howells.

He received a call at 6.08am on July 31, 2021. It was a red call which is the highest possible category and indicates the patient is in a life-threatening state. The call was regarding a five-year-old child.

Mr Howells said it was believed the child was in cardiac arrest and had drowned. He and his colleagues attended Pandy Park at 6.13am.

The witness said he saw a woman walking across Lower Llansantffraid.

He added: “A female approached me asking me what we were there for. She was visibly distressed, mentioned her son had gone missing, and she was in a state of somebody whose son had gone missing.”

Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC said: “Was she crying?”

Mr Howells said: “Yes.”

Ms Rees said: “Were there any tears?”

Mr Howells said: “I don’t know.”

Ms Rees said: ”Did she follow you?”

Mr Howells said: “No… I asked her when he was last seen and what he was wearing. She said he was wearing Spiderman pyjamas. She said they put him to bed at 10pm last night and when they got up in the morning he was gone and the back gate was open…

“She was wearing pyjamas and I think she had pink hair.”

Logan’s body temperature was lowest paramedic had ever seen
Paramedic Mark Howells tells the court he made his way down the path where his two colleagues started walking down and did a search of the river.

He contacted the control room who provided a secondary location of Pandy Road.

Mr Howells said: “We went down a small layby across a small bridge where we saw police officers who directed us to the location where the child was found.

“The officers directed us to the child. There were three other ambulance clinicians on scene commencing CPR.”

Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC said: ”Did you see a small child was on his back with attempts at resuscitation being made?”

Ms Rees said: “What was his skin colour like?”

Mr Howells said: “Pale and mottled… He was very blue in colour and he had a bruise above his left eye. Probably the length of his eyebrow.”

Ms Rees said: ”Were his eyes open?”

Mr Howells said: “Partially open… They were dilated and fixed.”

Ms Rees asked: “Were his pyjamas wet?”

Ms Rees said: “There were no signs of life and a colleague told you he was stiff and there was no activity in the heart?”

Mr Howells said: “Yes… I started to provide clinical overview… My role is to stand back and tell everybody the procedures we need to follow.”

Equipment was installed to open the airwave and provide pulmonary resuscitation and a needle was inserted into Logan’s shin to administer drugs.

He was placed on a stretcher and placed in an ambulance as CPR continued.

The court heard Logan was “profoundly hypothermic” and had the lowest body temperature Mr Howells had seen in his career.

CPR was continued but Logan showed no signs of life.

Mr Howells said: “Based on the information from his mother and his body temperature there was an assumption he could have been there for some hours.”

Ms Rees said: ”It’s right there was no response from the child to these interventions and there was no sign of life while you were there?”

Mr Howells said: “That’s correct.”

Logan was taken to hospital but Mr Howells remained at the scene with colleagues.

Peter Rouch QC, for Angharad Williamson, asks the witness to look at his witness statement.

In his statement Mr Howells said Logan’s mother was “hysterical and crying” and he said she followed him to the riverbank.

Mr Howells confirms this was the case.

There are no further questions for the witness and he has finished his evidence.

Second paramedic called to give evidence
The next witness is paramedic Andrew Connelly.

At 5.46am on July 31, 2021, the witness became aware of a red call for a five-year-old found in the River Ogmore.

Mr Connelly attended the scene with Mark Howells.

The witness saw a woman who he described as being in her mid 30s, five foot five inches tall, with pinky-purple hair and wearing a dressing gown with pyjamas on.

He said: “She came up to the vehicle saying: ‘Why won’t anybody tell me anything?’. She seemed distressed.”

Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC said: “Did you see any tears?”

Mr Connelly said: “It’s impossible to say, I can’t remember… I spoke to her and she identified herself as the mother of the child who was missing.

“She said she had last seen at 9.45pm and when she got up in the morning the back gate was open and the child was missing… She said she tucked him into bed.”

Mr Connelly and Mr Howells continued to Pandy Road.

There didn’t appear to be any signs of life where I was stood'
Paramedic Andrew Connelly tells the court he saw a child on the floor of the path and colleagues were performing CPR.

Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC said: “Were you able to observe signs of life?”

The witness said: “There didn’t appear to be any signs of life where I was stood.”

He assisted in lifting the child onto the stretcher. He added: “A colleague pointed out the bruise on his head.”

The paramedic followed the ambulance carrying Logan to the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend where he was notified the decision had been made to stop attempts to resuscitate Logan.

Ms Rees has finished her questioning.

Peter Rouch QC, for Williamson, asks if the mother appeared “distressed, shouting and crying”. Mr Connelly confirms she did.

The witness has finished his evidence.

Another paramedic gives evidence
The next witness is paramedic David Williams.

He received a call at 6am on July 31, 2021, notifying him a child had been found in the River Ogmore and he attended along with two other paramedics to the scene.

Mr Williams liaised with the air ambulance team and was told CPR was in progress.

An ambulance crew were already at the scene when the witness arrived and he followed them to the location.

He said: “We followed our colleagues down a pathway and saw where the police officers were. We could see some activity in the corner of the playing fields.”

CPR continued to which Mr Williams contributed.

Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC said: “Did you observe any sign of life?”

Mr Williams said: “No.”

The air ambulance team arrived, Logan was placed on a stretcher and CPR continued.

Logan was taken to the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend.

There are no further questions from other members of counsel and the witness has finished his evidence.

Another paramedic gives evidence
The next witness is paramedic David Williams.

He received a call at 6am on July 31, 2021, notifying him a child had been found in the River Ogmore and he attended along with two other paramedics to the scene.

Mr Williams liaised with the air ambulance team and was told CPR was in progress.

An ambulance crew were already at the scene when the witness arrived and he followed them to the location.

He said: “We followed our colleagues down a pathway and saw where the police officers were. We could see some activity in the corner of the playing fields.”

CPR continued to which Mr Williams contributed.

Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC said: “Did you observe any sign of life?”

Mr Williams said: “No.”

The air ambulance team arrived, Logan was placed on a stretcher and CPR continued.

Logan was taken to the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend.

There are no further questions from other members of counsel and the witness has finished his evidence.

Thanks so much for the Court updates.

JC and youth calling out LM's name whilst Police were searching - ughhhh
No mention of JC or youth having wet shoes or trousers (yet) - Did they just lob LM into the river from the river bank?
JMO

Logan taken to hospital where resuscitation attempts were halted
The next witness is paramedic Rhian Bevan whose statement will be read to the court.

She said she received a red call at 6.11am on July 31, 2021, to attend Lower Llansantffraid where a five-year-old child had been reported missing and had been found in the river with CPR ongoing.

Ms Bevan made her way to the location and crossed a bridge to a level area of grass where she could see a police officer performing CPR on a child.

She said: “I could see a pale male child aged five years old lying flat on his back…

“There was bruising on his eyebrow which was red and purplish in colour and there was a small amount of blood coming from his right nostril.

“He was an average-sized five-year-old with wavy hair and a gap between his two front teeth. He was wearing dark-coloured Spiderman print pyjamas. No sign of life was present.”

Ms Bevan’s colleague continued chest compressions as she opened the boy’s airwaves and checked his mouth for obstructions.

A defibrillator was placed on the boy’s chest and the witness continued to ventilate the child as more colleagues arrived.

Ms Bevan said she touched the boy’s arm to check for rigor mortis and she felt a “tightness” in his fingers and arms.

The boy’s temperature was checked and he was found to be 20.1 degrees. Ms Bevan said the child’s left leg also appeared to be stiff.

When she began completing paperwork Ms Bevan discovered the child was named Logan Williamson, was born on March 15, 2016, and lived at 5 Lower Llansantffraid.

Logan was taken to the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend as CPR was continued and he was taken to the resuscitation department on arrival but the decision was made to cease resuscitation

She said she tucked him into bed.”

'Tucked in him to bed'
Over emphasis on the 'care' element here IMO from AW from someone who was allegedly freaking out -
'I put him to bed' or 'he went to bed' would have seemed more appropriate at the time, during the so called frantic search.

JMO

Last edited:
'Tucked in him to bed'
Over emphasis on the 'care' element here IMO from AW from someone who was allegedly freaking out -
'I put him to bed' or 'he went to bed' would have seemed more appropriate at the time, during the so called frantic search.

JMO
True.
Such overemphasis with details is a typical sign of a liar.

Paramedic describes woman screaming
The next statement is from paramedic Richard Hopkins.

He received a call to attend Lower Llansantffraid in Sarn at 6.08am on July 31 last year.

On arrival he said he could see a woman in a front garden who was screaming. She was described as having pink/purplish hair.

Mr Hopkins alighted the ambulance and carried medical equipment into Pandy Park.

He said: “I could see a police officer leaning over a child doing CPR. I could see a young male lying on his back in the grass. He was five years old and had a pale complexion.

“He had short wet curly hair and had blood coming from his right nostril and marks and facial injuries on his forehead.

“His deep brown eyes were wide open and his mouth was slightly open. He was motionless and wearing Spiderman pyjamas and bare-footed.”

Mr Hopkins took over CPR and was told the child’s temperature was at 20.1 degrees.

The boy was placed on a stretcher and driven in an ambulance by Mr Hopkins to the Princess of Wales Hospital where he was taken to the resuscitation department.

Mr Hopkins completed paperwork in the ambulance when he saw the woman screaming in her garden entering the hospital.

He said: “I recognised her because of her hair colour. She walked into the hospital and began to scream.”

She denied being involved in the murder of Logan or perverting the course of justice.
Previously.........

"The defendant was shown CCTV footage and told what other defendants had said but during the first four interviews she maintained she had been asleep between 10.30pm on July 30 until 5.30am on July 31 when she found Logan missing.

AW 'tucked' LM into bed the previous night, he must have been wearing his dinosaur PJ top then, so how come she reported he had his 'Spidey' PJ's on at 999 stage, if she'd been asleep through all this?

Wonder how she's going to explain that?

MOO

Defibrillator detected no electrical activity in Logan's heart
The next statement is from paramedic Wayne Prior.

He said he was called to Pandy Park at 6.10am on the day in question to reports of a missing five-year-old boy who had been found in the River Ogmore.

Upon arriving at the scene he said: “I saw two police officers giving CPR to a young male child and I took over chest compressions.”

He placed a defibrillator pad on the boy’s body but detected no electrical activity in his heart.

Mr Prior said: “The boy had brown curly hair, brown eyes, and his arms were becoming stiff.

“I saw a lump on his forehead and a little bit of blood coming from his nostril. I carried on chest compressions but there were no signs of life throughout.”

He said the boy was taken to the Princess of Wales Hospital where his involvement in the events ceased.

True.
Such overemphasis with details is a typical sign of a liar.

I know we all act differently, but my son wandered off in a shop at the age of 2, holding my hand one minute and a split second later he had disappeared - I was in complete panic, adrenaline was so high, totally consumed by fear - Someone asked me what he was wearing and my mind was totally blank, all I could give was his age, name, colour of hair and eye colour - I couldn't recall what he was wearing let alone give any more details.
He was found safe and sound thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member