UK - Logan Mwangi, 5, found dead in Wales River, Bridgend, 31 July 2021 *arrests, inc. minor*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Murder accused 'told police they should arrest her', court told

1March 2022, Tuesday --Live trial blog:

16:21PHILIP DEWEY

Trial adjourns until 2pm on Wednesday

Following a short break Mrs Justice Jefford DBE tells the jury the court is unable to proceed with evidence today so will adjourn.

The court will not be sitting tomorrow morning so the trial will resume at 2pm tomorrow.

2 March 2022, Wednesday -- Live trial blog:

14:29CONOR GOGARTY

Case set to continue shortly

The first witness to give evidence this afternoon will be detective constable Clair Griffiths. She and the jury are set to enter the courtroom imminently.

[It's now 2:46 pm -- wonder if we are waiting on AW this afternoon].

14:46CONOR GOGARTY

Defendant said Logan was 'a very good boy'

Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC is questioning DC Clair Griffiths.

DC Griffiths attended the Princess of Wales Hospital Bridgend at 11am on July 31 last year to speak with Angharad Williamson.

The officer says Williamson was "very distressed".

The court hears Williamson told the officer she had gone into the hallway in the morning and looked into Logan's room but couldn't see him. She told the officer she noticed the back door was ajar, the court hears.

The officer says Williamson told her she didn't want to believe Logan was dead and said: "He would never leave the house alone. He's a very good boy."

She says Williamson told her Logan may have been taken "out of spite" by another woman.

The officer says she didn't notice any tears in Williamson's eyes.

She says she asked how Williamson had locked the door.

"At one point she was quite sarcastic and said if she knew she had to remember all this detail she would have taken notes," says the officer.

"She did say we should arrest her because she had failed to keep her son safe... She kept mentioning the door and it not being locked properly and she should have taken more care."

14:50CONOR GOGARTY

Defendant asked people to be 'gentle' with Logan's body

DC Clair Griffiths of South Wales Police, who is giving evidence, says while she was at the hospital with Angharad Williamson mentioned that Logan's real dad lived in Essex.

Williamson told the officer she had been in a relationship with a man who was in the Army and had assaulted her, DC Griffiths adds.

DC Griffiths says she accompanied Williamson into the room where Logan's body was and the defendant became distressed.

"I remember her saying she wanted to go home," says the officer.

DC Griffiths says Williamson asked for everyone to be "gentle" with Logan.

[Contrary to earlier MSM that stated AW stayed with Logan's body for a couple of hours].

Last edited:
14:46CONOR GOGARTY
Defendant said Logan was 'a very good boy'
Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC is questioning DC Clair Griffiths.

DC Griffiths attended the Princess of Wales Hospital Bridgend at 11am on July 31 last year to speak with Angharad Williamson.

The officer says Williamson was "very distressed".

The court hears Williamson told the officer she had gone into the hallway in the morning and looked into Logan's room but couldn't see him. She told the officer she noticed the back door was ajar, the court hears.

The officer says Williamson told her she didn't want to believe Logan was dead and said: "He would never leave the house alone. He's a very good boy."

She says Williamson told her Logan may have been taken "out of spite" by another woman.

The officer says she didn't notice any tears in Williamson's eyes.

She says she asked how Williamson had locked the door.

"At one point she was quite sarcastic and saidif she knew she had to remember all this detail she would have taken notes," says the officer.

"She did say we should arrest her because she had failed to keep her son safe... She kept mentioning the door and it not being locked properly and she should have taken more care."

Logan Mwangi's murder trial latest as case continues

14:50CONOR GOGARTY
Defendant asked people to be 'gentle' with Logan's body
DC Clair Griffiths of South Wales Police, who is giving evidence, says while she was at the hospital with Angharad Williamson mentioned that Logan's real dad lived in Essex.

Williamson told the officer she had been in a relationship with a man who was in the Army and had assaulted her, DC Griffiths adds.

DC Griffiths says she accompanied Williamson into the room where Logan's body was and the defendant became distressed.

"I remember her saying she wanted to go home," says the officer.

DC Griffiths says Williamson asked for everyone to be "gentle" with Logan.

Logan Mwangi's murder trial latest as case continues

The Prosecutor (if anyone is interested)

CAROLINE-REES.jpg

Caroline Rees QC | 30 Park Place Chambers

15:18CONOR GOGARTY
Accused 'couldn't face' accompanying son's body to mortuary
The next witness is DC Clare Edwards, a trained family liaison officer, who is being questioned by prosecutor Caroline Rees QC.

DC Edwards had gone to the Princess of Wales Hospital alongside DC Griffiths where they spoke to Angharad Williamson in the family room.

"She told us she would do whatever it takes for us to find out what happened to him – we could search her house and she would consent to anything," says DC Edwards.

The officer recalls being told Logan had watched Pokemon the night before and gone to sleep in his own bed.

Williamson said the back door hadn't been "locking properly" and "you had to slam it".

DC Edwards recalls Williamson saying she had made her way to hospital with a hospital bag, expecting to see Logan alive, but that he was dead.

"She said he never went off on his own or suffered from sleepwalking," the officer adds. "She said we should arrest her because if she had made sure the back door was locked none of this would have happened."

The only injury Williamson recalled Logan having was a graze to his arm, says the officer.

DC Edwards adds: "She seemed to be quite agitated. During the conversation she was getting up to answer her phone all the time, leaving the room.

"Although she did seem to be wailing a lot, making noises of crying or sobbing, there were very little or no tears during the time I was with her."

When she saw Logan's body DC Edwards says she noticed bruising on his face.

The officer has become upset giving evidence so she has taken a brief break to take a sip of water and compose herself.

Ms Rees asks: "Had it been agreed Ms Williamson would walk alongside Logan as he was taken to the mortuary?"

DC Edwards says: "Yes."

Ms Rees says: "Did she do that?"

The officer replies: "No. She told me she couldn't face it and she needed to go home."

The officer recalls Williamson asking her to make sure Logan was wrapped up in his blanket with his toy because she did not want him to be cold.

She says Williamson made this request before leaving the hospital because she could not "face" accompanying the body to the mortuary.

15:18CONOR GOGARTY

Accused 'couldn't face' accompanying son's body to mortuary

The next witness is DC Clare Edwards, a trained family liaison officer, who is being questioned by prosecutor Caroline Rees QC.

DC Edwards had gone to the Princess of Wales Hospital alongside DC Griffiths where they spoke to Angharad Williamson in the family room.

"She told us she would do whatever it takes for us to find out what happened to him – we could search her house and she would consent to anything," says DC Edwards.

The officer recalls being told Logan had watched Pokemon the night before and gone to sleep in his own bed.

Williamson said the back door hadn't been "locking properly" and "you had to slam it".

DC Edwards recalls Williamson saying she had made her way to hospital with a hospital bag, expecting to see Logan alive, but that he was dead.

"She said he never went off on his own or suffered from sleepwalking," the officer adds. "She said we should arrest her because if she had made sure the back door was locked none of this would have happened."

The only injury Williamson recalled Logan having was a graze to his arm, says the officer.

DC Edwards adds: "She seemed to be quite agitated. During the conversation she was getting up to answer her phone all the time, leaving the room.

"Although she did seem to be wailing a lot, making noises of crying or sobbing, there were very little or no tears during the time I was with her."

When she saw Logan's body DC Edwards says she noticed bruising on his face.

The officer has become upset giving evidence so she has taken a brief break to take a sip of water and compose herself.

Ms Rees asks: "Had it been agreed Ms Williamson would walk alongside Logan as he was taken to the mortuary?"

DC Edwards says: "Yes."

Ms Rees says: "Did she do that?"

The officer replies: "No. She told me she couldn't face it and she needed to go home."

The officer recalls Williamson asking her to make sure Logan was wrapped up in his blanket with his toy because she did not want him to be cold.

She says Williamson made this request before leaving the hospital because she could not "face" accompanying the body to the mortuary.

15:27CONOR GOGARTY

'I had my arm around Angharad, cwtching her'

Emergency department nurse Rosie O’Neill is called to give evidence and is being questioned by prosecutor Caroline Rees QC.

Ms O'Neill, who worked in the Princess of Wales Hospital, recalls volunteering to help resuscitate a little boy who had been found in a river.

She says a Dr Dyer did CPR on Logan. She says it was clear that Logan had died so CPR stopped.

Ms O'Neill recalls Logan was wearing black pyjama bottoms with "bright neon colour" dinosaurs dotted around the clothing.

She says he had bruising "in the middle of his head," just above his eyebrow and on his collarbone, knee, and stomach.

Ms O'Neill recalls Williamson attended the hospital with an "Olaf pillow" which had Logan's name embroidered on it.

"She was frantic and wailing as I would have thought any grieving mother would be in that situation. She wouldn't come into the doors and her legs seemed to be giving way."

The nurse adds: "I had my arm around Angharad, cwtching her."

Ms Rees asks: "When Angharad went in did she say anything?"

Ms O'Neill replies: "She said: 'My baby, my baby... I should have taught him how to swim.'"

The nurse says she could hear wailing but not observe any tears.

She adds: "At first Angharad wanted to call her brother. She tried him twice but couldn't get through so she then called John Cole. The phone was on speaker, loud. Angharad said something along the lines of: 'It's Logan'. The person on the other end was quite calm, saying: 'Don't worry... we will get through this as a family.'"

Ms O'Neill said that Williamson pointed out that Logan didn't have shoes on. "She said he never goes outside without his shoes or his socks."

Ms Rees asked: "After she spoke to police did you notice a change in Angharad?"

Ms O'Neill replied: "It was almost like something changed. She was quite aggressive with a nasty streak about her."

She recalls Williamson seemed "frightened" to touch Logan's body with her hand hovering above him. She claims Williamson kissed his forehead but only after "making sure I was watching and seeing that she was being affectionate to Logan."

15:33CONOR GOGARTY

'Why would I want to contact you?'

Hospital nurse Rosie O'Neill, who is in the witness box, says Angharad Williamson "didn't say thank you" after she had spent several hours with her.

When the subject of ongoing support was discussed she tells the court Williamson said: "Why would I want to contact you?"

During cross-examination Ms O'Neill says she did not know what police had been discussing with Williamson before her "demeanour changed".

She said people were different and had their own ways of grieving but added it was her view that Williamson was "making a point" of kissing Logan.

Last edited:

15:48CONOR GOGARTY

Nurse references 'swimming lessons' comment

Witness Rosie O'Neill, a nurse at Bridgend's Princess of Wales Hospital who was working on July 31, 2021, says Angharad Williamson said she should have given Logan swimming lessons.

The nurse says Williamson appeared to make this comment before being told Logan had been found in a river.

Ms O'Neill has now concluded her evidence.

There will now be a short break.

16:02CONOR GOGARTY

Logan was 'very, very cold and wet to touch,' says nurse

The next witness is Sarah Lee Thorne, a senior nurse at the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend.

On the day Logan was brought into the hospital Ms Thorne was in the resuscitation room.

It was agreed CPR could stop because it was obvious that Logan had died, Ms Thorne tells the court.

Logan's body was wrapped in foil and she placed a blanket over him, she says. He was wearing a Spiderman top with black pyjama bottoms which had "neon characters" on them.

She remembers Logan was "very, very cold and wet to touch".

"He had what I would describe as normal childhood bruising on his legs", she says.

16:05CONOR GOGARTY

'I never, never saw tears'

Witness Sara Lee Thorne, a nurse at the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend, said Angharad Williamson "dropped to the floor and started screaming" when she was told Logan was dead.

She adds: "When she first walked into the room she was very distressed when she saw Logan. Her legs were giving way. She was wailing, she was crying, but there were not tears. I never, never saw tears."

Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC asks: "After you said he had been in the river or taken from the water what did she say to you?"

Ms Thorne replies: "She said: 'You're the only person who's told me that. Thank you.'"

She says Williamson told her: "He hasn't even got shoes on has he?"

16:10CONOR GOGARTY

Cole sounded 'nice and reassuring' on phone

Witness Sara Lee Thorne, a nurse at the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend, says Angharad Williamson told her that her partner was "J".

Williamson had a phone conversation with "J" on loudspeaker, Ms Thorne tells the court.

Asked the tone of conversation, she says: "It was normal. He sounded quite nice and reassuring."

16:17CONOR GOGARTY

Witness asked about defendant's river comment

Peter Rouch QC, defending Angharad Williamson, asks witness Sara Lee Thorne – a nurse at Bridgend's Princess of Wales Hospital – about her claim that Williamson said: "You're the only person who's told me that, thank you" in relation to Logan having been found in a river.

Ms Thorne says: "I assumed she knew that already because she had been to the river and the police had been with her for a while."

Mr Rouch says: "Could she have meant that you were the first person in authority who had confirmed that fact to her?"

Ms Thorne replies: "Yes."

16:25CONOR GOGARTY

Logan's mum was 'heaving and sick' on journey to hospital

The court is hearing a written statement from PC Joshua Jones, one of the officers who transported Angharad Williamson to the Princess of Wales Hospital where her son Logan had been taken.

He said Williamson was "heaving and sick" on the journey to the hospital.

PC Jones said Williamson told a friend who accompanised her: "Police have it all wrong and the young male in the hospital is not my son Logan."

His statement continues: "Angharad became more upset as we were approaching the door.

"Nurse Sarah Thorne confirmed her son to be the male in the hospital.

"Angharad broke down and began to cry hysterically.

"I noticed Logan had a bruise to the left side of his forehead and a small scram to his lip."

16:28CONOR GOGARTY

Case adjourned with evidence to resume on Friday

The evidence for today has concluded. The jury need not attend tomorrow, the court hears.

The evidence is due to continue at 10am on Friday.

Last edited:
'I never, never saw tears'
Witness Sara Lee Thorne, a nurse at the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend, said Angharad Williamson "dropped to the floor and started screaming" when she was told Logan was dead.
^^sbbm

Seems to me that AW was performing for her new audience [Nurse Sara Lee Thorne] given AW and JC were earlier taken into Logan's bedroom by police and advised they could not revive Logan and he was deceased.

Yesterday - at the house :

Police: "We couldn’t save him. Sorry.

Williamson: No, no, no (she collapses)

Cole: Come here, come here. I need to lay her down" ...

[Williamson does not return to the dock
Following the lunch break Angharad Williamson is not in the dock.]

Today - at the hospital :

"DC Edwards recalls Williamson saying she had made her way to hospital with a hospital bag, expecting to see Logan alive, but that he was dead."

"Witness Sara Lee Thorne, a nurse at the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend, said Angharad Williamson "dropped to the floor and started screaming" when she was told Logan was dead."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member