Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't correct, the car key fob is NOT constantly transmitting.

Instead, it is the car that constantly transmits, the key fob just listens in order to preserve battery life. When it detects a signal from the car it is paired with, it will respond with an encrypted code and if it is correct, the car will unlock.

I know you linked to an article that mentioned it but it is wrong.

"The key becomes activated if it is sufficiently close and it transmits its ID back to the vehicle via RF (Radio frequency >300 MHz) to a receiver located in the vehicle. If the key has the correct ID, the PASE module unlocks the vehicle."

In terms of usefulness to this case, then in theory somebody could build a transmitter that transmits exactly the same encrypted codes as NB's car and literally walk around until it got a response. The key would only answer if the transmitter used to search was transmitting the exact same codes as NB's car, otherwise, it would ignore an incorrect code. This would need Mercedes techs to build such a thing.

If the key has been in the river for this long then unlikely it is still working. If it is buried underground, the signal strength might not be enough for it to respond to.

Typically remote unlock only occurs within about 10 feet of the vehicle even though the transmitted signal travels much further (maybe up to 500ft as per other posts) but both the car and the key measure the signal strength to determine how close the key is before making an unlock decision.

So depending on the technology in use on that particular keyless entry, the key may only respond when the signal is of specific strength even though it can detect a signal from much further away - and therefore might need to be 10ft or less from a transmitter before it responds, closer if underground.

In other words, a needle in a haystack finding the car keys.

Thanks for this. So it works very similar to blue tooth radio. The remote device listens for the controlling device

Agree. 'Well known to be followed up by completed suicide' is totally overblowing the reality.

I used the wrong term. What is it called when someone arranges equipment to carry out a suicide but does not complete the act? I thought this was part of ideation but it seems I got that wrong.

This is what I was referring to.

Having looked into it I see the term I was looking for was "suicidal gesture". That's what I was referring to. Sorry to be a bore I'll shut up now.

It's in the countryside and it seems the police weren't following any avenue of an attacker / abductor so they weren't asking for witnesses or any observations from the public at the time... now it seems they are slowly going down that line of enquiry. I don't suppose the police have the legal right to ask anyone to prove where they were and what they were doing at the time, unless they're interviewing people or naming as a suspect, do they? JMO MOO

30th January

Missing dogwalker’s phone found on bench by river as police appeal for witnesses​

Last edited:
That would mean the witness who said she saw her and their dogs interacted with each other in the field, was either mistaken it was her, or is lying.
As a dog walker, my dog often interacts with other dog walkers - often at a distance. Usually it is with the regulars - so for example there is a guy on the field I walk who wears a camouflage jacket and boots and who walks a small white poodle . If I saw a man dressed like that with the same dog I might easily just wave and watch the dogs I would not be able to swear on oath that the man was the usual man. Only that he looked like the usual guy.

Apologies then, I thought you were implying that doctors, nurses and police were subpar and not as effective as portrayed on television.

No, I was trying to build the opposite argument that on TV they are portrayed as being superhuman and devoted over and beyond that which is realistic - especially the movie tropes about detectives. My personal opinion is that this perhaps leads to members of the public having an expectation far beyond that which is real or even reasonable.

Poor NB. The more I read about conspiracies and abductions and caravan parks and gunshots and suicide and smuggling out in cars etc, the more I become convinced that on a totally normal day of walking the dog, listening to a conference call and texting a friend, a simple, fatal slip into the water occurred. JMO. MOO.

How can there be a link to something that doesn't exist? No evidence of her being on the bench has been reported.

I thought you meant that forensic testing had shown NB had not been at the bench at all.

In my (vivid) imagination that could maybe be proven by dogs not scenting her there, zero fibres or DNA or footprints or body fluids. It did seem odd to me that anyone could prove a negative to that extent but I took your post way too literally it seems, apologies :D

No, I was trying to build the opposite argument that on TV they are portrayed as being superhuman and devoted over and beyond that which is realistic - especially the movie tropes about detectives. My personal opinion is that this perhaps leads to members of the public having an expectation far beyond that which is real or even reasonable.
I do personally know some superhuman over and above professionals in those areas so think I’m just sensitive to the negativity in media, apologies. I think because of the internet there is a bigger problem these days with members of the public thinking they themselves can do better as well, you see it in policing, you see it in medicine. As you say doesn’t mean all are infallible but also don’t actually think any of these professions are considered dedicated or effective by joe public anymore, despite some superstars in their ranks.

I used the wrong term. What is it called when someone arranges equipment to carry out a suicide but does not complete the act? I thought this was part of ideation but it seems I got that wrong.

This is what I was referring to.

Having looked into it I see the term I was looking for was "suicidal gesture". That's what I was referring to. Sorry to be a bore I'll shut up now.
Ahh I see what you mean. Yeah so totally hypothetically if a month before someone had been found at the side of a river with a load of tablets/booze saying they wanted to end their life and then went on to go missing from the side of a river later on that would make more sense, or even just some sense of planning, researching, putting affairs in order etc etc would again provide some evidence to the police that they had intentionally ended in the river.

Like in medicine patients expect Drs to know everything instantly “the dr has all my notes” “why didn’t they just look at my notes” when the notes go back 40+ years and it’s physically impossible to read and remember all of them in the 30-120 seconds before seeing you for the remainder of your allotted 10 min.
Lots is dramatised and super-hero’d & practicalities/real life are very different and limited by being human and time, resources etc

I thought you meant that forensic testing had shown NB had not been at the bench at all.

In my (vivid) imagination that could maybe be proven by dogs not scenting her there, zero fibres or DNA or footprints or body fluids. It did seem odd to me that anyone could prove a negative to that extent but I took your post way too literally it seems, apologies :D
I think it was @porkypies you were asking, when I intervened - but no problem :)

Ahh I see what you mean. Yeah so totally hypothetically if a month before someone had been found at the side of a river with a load of tablets/booze saying they wanted to end their life and then went on to go missing from the side of a river later on that would make more sense, or even just some sense of planning, researching, putting affairs in order etc etc would again provide some evidence to the police that they had intentionally ended in the river.
This is what I meant. Also noticed there were references to the missing person being off work for an extended period. Not sure if that was verified but if so then it would be a bit of an indicator of health issues IMO.

ETA

Also interesting IMO to know how quickly police can get hold of things such as recent activity on internet search engines. I've no idea how long Google for example would take to release this sort of data on a missing person case but it does seem quite interesting.

This is what I meant. Also noticed there were references to the missing person being off work for an extended period. Not sure if that was verified but if so then it would be a bit of an indicator of health issues IMO.

ETA

Also interesting IMO to know how quickly police can get hold of things such as recent activity on internet search engines. I've no idea how long Google for example would take to release this sort of data on a missing person case but it does seem quite interesting.
Yes, there is a 9 year gap in her work history according to her Linkedin profile. Maybe she simply just chose to be a stay-at-home parent.

30th January

Missing dogwalker’s phone found on bench by river as police appeal for witnesses​

Thank you for this. I wonder what factors made them conclude 'gone missing' as opposed to a crime?

I keep wondering also did NB have about her person a wallet, purse, cash, or cards, that one wouldn't want to leave in the car or was she wearing any type of expensive jewellery? Maybe even just an engagement ring and wedding ring could be enough valuables to spur on some criminals?

<bbm>
Fairly sure that was a reference to the gap in her employment history shown on LinkedIn, but that was over a period of several years, matching her children's ages. So probably not health-related, just a career break.

Thank you for this. I wonder what factors made them conclude 'gone missing' as opposed to a crime?

I keep wondering also did NB have about her person a wallet, purse, cash, or cards, that one wouldn't want to leave in the car or was she wearing any type of expensive jewellery? Maybe even just an engagement ring and wedding ring could be enough valuables to spur on some criminals?
None of these were mentioned in the police appeal - just a necklace & a fitbit.

Distraught partner of missing Nicola Bulley 'is frustrated with police over their stalling investigation and has been rebuffed by senior officers' -as the force only now tries to find anglers fishing on the River Wyre when she vanished 2½ weeks agoPolice approach anglers fishing in river when Nicola Bulley vanished

Tbh I would be frustrated until she was found - by anyone. He is mad with grief as anyone would be.

It’s hard isn’t it because I understand that it seems ridiculous the police need search warrants when people would let them look, but where would that stand legally in court if anything were found. Same way a surgeon isn’t allowed to speed to get to a dying patient etc. still subject to the law and “red tape”.

Then there’s what is realistic - eg in the Charlie Gard medical case (RIP) his mum kept talking to the media to criticise the pros too when they were utter utter experts, and she wanted things that didn’t exist like brain transplants, so grief really is irrational.

I kind of think in both these situations the media are really naughty exploiting grieving relatives for headlines.

I know they want the publicity but at same time can’t be healthy going through such raw emotions in the public eye.

All JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member