Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
tragic ( in event of suicide scenario)

with benefit of hindsight, it's possible to assume he hadn't realised just how badly she felt?

Even if he did, what could be do? Unless you present in an utter crisis you're handed some anti depressants, put on a waiting list for a "CBT" course which for anything complex is like attempting to stop an arterial bleed with a plaster. If you're  lucky and they realise how bad you are you're on a waiting list for a CMHT assessment that could be months. If you're actually in a crisis and assessed to be in imminent danger you get sent someone round every couple of days for a while (typically a different person every time) who asks some generic questions each time and suggests you have a bath. Failing that it's hospitalisation which is just a holding pen unless you spend any real time there.

That is my real life experience.

Labour MP Stella Creasy said: "The decision to disclose this level of detail on a missing person's private life, with no evidence that this is assisting in finding her, is deeply troubling. The police need to be much clearer as to why any of this helps find Nicola Bulley or support this investigation."
Richard Saunders said: "The fact that the police feel that they had to divulge that Nicola Bulley had significant issues with alcohol due to struggles with the menopause makes me uncomfortable. Give the poor woman some privacy. It’s none of our business."

Liam Hunt added: "The Nicola Bulley ‘breaking news’ isn’t even news. It’s completely insensitive, it adds nothing to the case and it’s what every single woman has to goes through at some point in their life. Lancashire Police are just rubbishing her reputation."

Dr Shola Mos-Shogbamimu said: "What the hell! Nicola Bulley "struggled with some significant issues with alcohol" & had "ongoing struggles with menopause" by Lancashire Police is disgraceful What the hell has that got to do with finding Nicola? Is she not worth finding? Is public perception meant to change?!"

My thoughts after today are totally in support of NB… remembering she is not here to give her side of the story. It is easy sometimes to write someone off as unstable, especially a woman of menopausal age, but it does make me feel uncomfortable, and does not sit right without knowing the bigger picture.

It also feels that releasing this has been done in the name of reputation management by LE, not necessarily in the best interests of NB and family.

Despite everything she is (reportedly) going through, she still manages to get up, get the kids and breakfast ready, walk the dog and work at the same time. Still entrusted with getting her kids to school on time and safely.

My other thoughts….as I, myself a probable peri menopausal, stressed out, professional working mum of 3, trying to keep on top of the house and be efficient at work, do the weekly shop, get tea on the table each night, organise birthdays and Christmas, clean the house, buys clothes for the kids, who on odd occasions has drunk too much in the past, is that if I ever go missing I hope that this is not used against me and assumptions made about my state of mind….

All MOO.
Do we know these are facts she is an alcoholic going through early menopause or just hearsay from her partner/friends? She may just have been drunk on 10th January because she was depressed/stressed? I know looks cam be deceiving but in all her pics and the activities she does I do not see an alcoholic (I know you can be a functioning one but she looks amazinly healthy) I'm not buying it personally JMO

Sadly, the reality is that all evidence and new information suggests NB went into the river. A welfare concern, still being investigated, the reasons for those issues still prevalent in her life. Guilt? Feelings of everyone being better off without her? I mention the last point as this could also have lead to her leaving of her own volition. Perhaps with the assistance of a 3rd party and the benefit of a delayed alarm raising.

Where is she!

Do we know these are facts she is an alcoholic going through early menopause or just hearsay from her partner/friends? She may just have been drunk on 10th January because she was depressed/stressed? I know looks cam be deceiving but in all her pics and the activities she does I do not see an alcoholic (I know you can be a functioning one but she looks amazinly healthy) I'm not buying it personally JMO

The word 'alcoholic' was not mentioned by Police, so you're correct in saying it is not a fact.

"This includes 'significant issues' with alcohol which police say was brought on by 'ongoing struggles with the menopause'.......

Alcoholism is an extremely personal and individual condition. Most people with an alcohol problem have partners, jobs and sometimes busy lives, no meaningful criminal record and photos where they would look very happy.

It is a good point about the source of the menopause / alcohol problem information. One would hope the police have more to go on than some comments from friends & family. But there does seem to have been a welfare check that will be on record.

Even if he did, what could be do? Unless you present in an utter crisis you're handed some anti depressants, put on a waiting list for a "CBT" course which for anything complex is like attempting to stop an arterial bleed with a plaster. If you're  lucky and they realise how bad you are you're on a waiting list for a CMHT assessment that could be months. If you're actually in a crisis and assessed to be in imminent danger you get sent someone round every couple of days for a while (typically a different person every time) who asks some generic questions each time and suggests you have a bath. Failing that it's hospitalisation which is just a holding pen unless you spend any real time there.

My son has several physical and mental health issues which have caused him to be suicidal more times than I care to think about. One time after slashing himself up so badly he ended up in a&e. He was cleaned and stitched up and we then waited 8 hrs for the on duty psychiatrist who proceeded to tell him to go home and watch a funny film...I kid you not! His emergency referral for therapy was a 3 year waiting list and when he eventually got to the top the therapist said they'd referred him to the wrong service as they didn't treat people with personality disorders. In my long experience of both child and adult mental health services they are next to useless and Draconian

I don't understand how PF concludes now she is likely to be in the sea due to the facts released today. It in my opinion it makes no odds as police still believe she is in the river. Having alcohol issues and menopause doesn't surmise her being able to get to the sea. I suppose perhaps she walked away further down the river but who knows. She may very well have just walked and didn't stop

I am in agreement with a few posts that I've seen have now been made, one I think was removed. JMO.
There's a lot about this case and the information now released today, that doesn't sit right with me at all. Some inconsistencies, and strange things said by some people, etc. Gut feelings.
We should all keep an open mind, not just the police. Menopause and alcohol can be very serious but they may not be the full explanation, or indeed they may not be an explanation at all.
Of course, let's remember that right now NB is not here to give her side of things.

There’s medication and home intensive treatment via the crisis team. Outpatient management with a name consultant and CPN. Ridiculous waits for CBT which is often group therapy or online.
Lots more counselling type things available by self referral or in house mental health nurses or community prescribers in Gp services. What you have access to changes depending on severity of illness and whatever is available in your area.
MH services are themselves in crisis where I live so there just isn’t enough staff to run a service.
There’s always a 24h crisis helpline and things like the Samaritans & shout text service for times of desperation. Most places have a crisis assessment ward at the local psych hospital where you can turn up if you need. GPs can prescribe meds and be a point of contact while waiting for psych if needed too.
I know it’s all more of a fight than is in any way acceptable for anyone who is suffering with their mental health and so many people are let down but there are avenues out there which are worth trying and for people to be aware of.
Ps agree that is it really awful if you’re feeling suicidal to be asked if you’ve tried having a bath or cup of tea. I’m sorry you’ve gone through that xxxxx

Labour MP Stella Creasy said: "The decision to disclose this level of detail on a missing person's private life, with no evidence that this is assisting in finding her, is deeply troubling. The police need to be much clearer as to why any of this helps find Nicola Bulley or support this investigation."
Richard Saunders said: "The fact that the police feel that they had to divulge that Nicola Bulley had significant issues with alcohol due to struggles with the menopause makes me uncomfortable. Give the poor woman some privacy. It’s none of our business."

Liam Hunt added: "The Nicola Bulley ‘breaking news’ isn’t even news. It’s completely insensitive, it adds nothing to the case and it’s what every single woman has to goes through at some point in their life. Lancashire Police are just rubbishing her reputation."

Dr Shola Mos-Shogbamimu said: "What the hell! Nicola Bulley "struggled with some significant issues with alcohol" & had "ongoing struggles with menopause" by Lancashire Police is disgraceful What the hell has that got to do with finding Nicola? Is she not worth finding? Is public perception meant to change?!"

It's horrible to see it all out in print. Echo everyone in feeling for the children, a terrible time for them with I'm afraid worse to come if/when she is found.

I can only think the police had an idea the press were going to start mentioning the drinking so felt they were backed into a corner to hint at things in the press conference and then it escalated in the hours after with all the speculation.

I suspect the police were hoping she'd have been found by now and then an inquest would've put these issues much more legitimately into the public domain but that hasn't happened of course.

Alcoholism is an extremely personal and individual condition. Most people with an alcohol problem have partners, jobs and sometimes busy lives, no meaningful criminal record and photos where they would look very happy.

It is a good point about the source of the menopause / alcohol problem information. One would hope the police have more to go on than some comments from friends & family. But there does seem to have been a welfare check that will be on record.
Agreed, I'm just not getting this from her profile and pics that that was a problem, as I said maybe that day (10th)? Maybe something happened that day (or day before) that caused her to want to drink?? I could be wrong but my gut still leans with foul play and I really hope I am wrong! I could say more on my thoughts but won't as will be violating rules

My son has several physical and mental health issues which have caused him to be suicidal more times than I care to think about. One time after slashing himself up so badly he ended up in a&e. He was cleaned and stitched up and we then waited 8 hrs for the on duty psychiatrist who proceeded to tell him to go home and watch a funny film...I kid you not! His emergency referral for therapy was a 3 year waiting list and when he eventually got to the top the therapist said they'd referred him to the wrong service as they didn't treat people with personality disorders. In my long experience of both child and adult mental health services they are next to useless and Draconian
You wouldn't truly believe it until you've experienced it would you? I'm so sorry you're son has been completely let down. I hope he's getting the support he needs now (I say doubting.)

I don't understand how PF concludes now she is likely to be in the sea due to the facts released today. It in my opinion it makes no odds as police still believe she is in the river. Having alcohol issues and menopause doesn't surmise her being able to get to the sea. I suppose perhaps she walked away further down the river but who knows. She may very well have just walked and didn't stop
The police believe she went into the river initially. They’re not saying she’s there now. They haven’t been able to find her there.

Depending what happened in terms of river flow and tides, if she did go into the river as the police think, she may have been carried all the way to the sea by now.

Agreed, I'm just not getting this from her profile and pics that that was a problem, as I said maybe that day (10th)? Maybe something happened that day (or day before) that caused her to want to drink?? I could be wrong but my gut still leans with foul play and I really hope I am wrong! I could say more on my thoughts but won't as will be violating rules
If Nicola did go in the river voluntarily then there could be things that happened which triggered and provoked her to the brink.

It's horrible to see it all out in print. Echo everyone in feeling for the children, a terrible time for them with I'm afraid worse to come if/when she is found.

I can only think the police had an idea the press were going to start mentioning the drinking so felt they were backed into a corner to hint at things in the press conference and then it escalated in the hours after with all the speculation.

I suspect the police were hoping she'd have been found by now and then an inquest would've put these issues much more legitimately into the public domain but that hasn't happened of course.

A number of reasons I understand.

"Peter Lawson, the force’s assistant chief constable, said police were giving more details about the investigation than they usually would because of the “commentary, speculation [and] some criticism” of their handling of the case."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper