Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We had this with my very good friend Chris Brahney - as friends & family we were inexperienced with dealing with the intrusion from the press.
at parts they were godsends as they got our message out there and helped the search - but they literally sleuthed our lives to the extreme and posted much nonsense.
I loathe the tabloid press here in the UK, they really don't care whose lives they wreck in order to sell more papers/clicks. The phrase "they have blood on their hands" is actually true in their case because people actually have lost their lives because of misinformation/lies/intrusion, yet they repeat the same scummy behaviour time after time.

Agree, don’t like the way the media have suddenly changed the narrative her case. Christ, I dread to think if I were to go missing how my drinking habits and menopausal mindset would be played out for all to see! I feel so sad for her two little girls. JMO
Yep. All they need right now is more playground gossip. Shame on whatever rags were going to "expose" it if that's what has happened, and journalists wonder why their profession gets a bad rep.

My thoughts after today are totally in support of NB… remembering she is not here to give her side of the story. It is easy sometimes to write someone off as unstable, especially a woman of menopausal age, but it does make me feel uncomfortable, and does not sit right without knowing the bigger picture.

It also feels that releasing this has been done in the name of reputation management by LE, not necessarily in the best interests of NB and family.

Despite everything she is (reportedly) going through, she still manages to get up, get the kids and breakfast ready, walk the dog and work at the same time. Still entrusted with getting her kids to school on time and safely.

My other thoughts….as I, myself a probable peri menopausal, stressed out, professional working mum of 3, trying to keep on top of the house and be efficient at work, do the weekly shop, get tea on the table each night, organise birthdays and Christmas, clean the house, buys clothes for the kids, who on odd occasions has drunk too much in the past, is that if I ever go missing I hope that this is not used against me and assumptions made about my state of mind….

All MOO.

The fact she was closing a high pressure mortgage deal proably shows her boss knew nothing of a drink problem. You can be a functioning alcoholic that goes to work as normal without people knowing depending the extent of the problem.
As a functioning alcoholic who would NEVER day drink or drive drunk, I have to say the amount of comments I've seen assuming she was drunk at the time of her disappearance have me smdh

I loathe the tabloid press here in the UK, they really don't care whose lives they wreck in order to sell more papers/clicks. The phrase "they have blood on their hands" is actually true in their case because people actually have lost their lives because of misinformation/lies/intrusion, yet they repeat the same scummy behaviour time after time.
They are without a doubt the worlds worst.
They legitimately ruin lives without consequences. I suppose this is considered democracy?

Why else would they release that info?

How could it possibly help in the case other than to push the original narrative that 'Nicola went into the water and no 3rd party is involved' which we have heard countless times from day 1?

I interpreted your original question a bit differently .
I will try to answer this follow-up anyway .
Today's presser and subsequent update , may have helped to quieten rumours/discussion about 3rd party malicious involvement .
It might have made it even less likely , on the count of probability .
But it hasn't squashed it , it may have narrowed it down .
Equally , it has created the foundation for an even more open than before possibilty , that she may have left the area of her own accord ( alone or with the help or non-malicious 3rd party).
It has done nothing , in my view , to increase the likelihood that she may have just fallen in the water. This stays the same , unless you consider truly possible that she was so intoxicated that morning , to have had an episode BECAUSE of her alcohol intake on the day (or the night before).
And i doubt this , because driving a 6 and a 9 yrs old children to school in that condition would be incredibly irresponsible , IMO.

I might have not correctly understood your original question , but sure hope i've given you a bit of context to my original answer.

I watched the updates with interest today having followed this case like everyone else.

im a similar age to NB with children (albeit older ones) and about 18 months ago I started to feel odd. I’ve always had a stressful job and the odd bouts of depression but this was/is different.
I seriously thought I was going mad and I spoke to numerous doctors and counsellors. I told them I wanted to die. I blamed it on the impact of lockdown. I searched for answers but menopause didn't cross my mind for ages.
I plotted ending my life and fantasised about it from jumping in the river, car accidents, overdose, and simply just going missing, but managed to be “normal” when I needed to be. I bought a book to write all my info down to make my familys life easier to deal with my matters after death. I started to drink alcohol at home - unheard of for me. Then one day someone mentioned menopause.
When I approached doctors they told me I was too young for menopause. Even private gps told me they couldn’t give me hrt but “it’s probably depression”. i told everyone who would listen that something had changed in me but I didn’t know what. I stopped attending work meetings and backed out of key roles I had as I couldn’t cope. I tried a number of antidepressants that gave me horrific vertigo and vomiting. Then I got confirmation about menopause.

Then one day someone recommended weight lifting and it’s changed my life very quickly.
I just really wanted to say that I would never believe menopause would be this awful. Would make me want to leave my children. It’s so misunderstood and not taken seriously.
whatever was going on for NB I truly hope she’s just hiding away with no idea what is happening back home :-(

I would wager a decent amount of money that the Police were forced to reveal the vulnerabilities of NB before the UK tabloid press did so themselves. As soon as the SIO said in the press conference they would not reveal what they were, the tabloids would have been using every unethical trick to find out.

I know of a case where a woman was missing and was described as 'vulnerable' right from the start because she was anorexic. However, the police advised the family not to disclose the actual vulnerability in case it affected the woman's decision to return, but one of the tabloids found out what it was and said they would publish it, so the Police and family had to beat them to it.

This is my view as well.

I think that - again - LE are getting clobbered unfairly, this time with having to make these disclosures and steal a march on whoever was about to publish, to retain some control over the narrative.

I do believe that a third party was involved, somebody she was acquainted with or a potential stranger that had been stalking her in recent weeks/months. The reason I see this is because they would have had to know the area very well, know her steps, potentially been watching her Facebook page etc. could have been a client who became overly fascinated/obsessed with her. They (one or more people) could have approached her at the bench and lured her away. The phone would have been left on the bench by Nicola as I doubt the person who took her will have touched anything. Abducters know phones are tracked and they will have seen the phone as she always had the phone out on display. They knew they would have had little time, but she/they will have left through the gate or wherever didn’t have CCTV. Maybe that person knew where there were cameras and assessed the area many times before. If it is an abduction it is highly sinister and will be premeditated/planned/calculated. You might ask why the dog didn’t follow or how come she didn’t scream etc but this person could have been making threats etc towards her or even her family/children. She then went away quietly with this person, not making a scene. Dog may not have followed because maybe Willow hadn’t noticed and was too busy playing etc at the time or maybe the person who potentially abducted her scared off the dog. Spaniels are not known to be dogs that stereotypically “attack” and could have even met this person on dog walks before..who knows?
I'm thinking the exact same tbh . It's all so heartbreaking though,

I watched the updates with interest today having followed this case like everyone else.

im a similar age to NB with children (albeit older ones) and about 18 months ago I started to feel odd. I’ve always had a stressful job and the odd bouts of depression but this was/is different.
I seriously thought I was going mad and I spoke to numerous doctors and counsellors. I told them I wanted to die. I blamed it on the impact of lockdown. I searched for answers but menopause didn't cross my mind for ages.
I plotted ending my life and fantasised about it from jumping in the river, car accidents, overdose, and simply just going missing, but managed to be “normal” when I needed to be. I bought a book to write all my info down to make my familys life easier to deal with my matters after death. I started to drink alcohol at home - unheard of for me. Then one day someone mentioned menopause.
When I approached doctors they told me I was too young for menopause. Even private gps told me they couldn’t give me hrt but “it’s probably depression”. i told everyone who would listen that something had changed in me but I didn’t know what. I stopped attending work meetings and backed out of key roles I had as I couldn’t cope. I tried a number of antidepressants that gave me horrific vertigo and vomiting. Then I got confirmation about menopause.

Then one day someone recommended weight lifting and it’s changed my life very quickly.
I just really wanted to say that I would never believe menopause would be this awful. Would make me want to leave my children. It’s so misunderstood and not taken seriously.
whatever was going on for NB I truly hope she’s just hiding away with no idea what is happening back home :-(
Agree, the impact of menopause is not to be underestimated.

Yep. All they need right now is more playground gossip. Shame on whatever rags were going to "expose" it if that's what has happened, and journalists wonder why their profession gets a bad rep.
It makes me wonder WHO gave those photos to the press and WHY. Surely you wouldn’t be duped by the press knowing NB’s private struggles!? JMO

I also don't think it is necessary to speculate and elaborate further on the personal health issues of NB as outlined by LE. It is enough to know the most basic facts in order to determine where or how to look for her. I think it was a bit of a nerve for LE to give out this much info. to be frank.
I totally agree with you

I believe NB went into the river and most likely drowned. But I'm trying to think of any way she could have left the riverbank other than by the main entrance, and the only thing I can think of is crossing the river. Surely the police would have considered that possibility, but there has been no call for dashcam on Hall Ln.

I honestly don't understand why everyone is on about social services being involved. My sister was and is an alcoholic and Police were called many times by my brother in law and sometimes my sister was arrested and would be seen the next morning by a Police Dr by which time she deemed rational and allowed home. On a couple of occasions I have rang and asked for a crisis team which was usually initially Police and mental health practitioners ould usually just prescribe something. Throughout all this time social workers weren't involved with my nephews and nieces because they were well looked after, doing excellent at school, outgoing, well mannered, well adjusted children. When my sister was sober she was an excellent mum and hands on with homework and everything. I could only really see social services getting involved with children if there wasn't another parent living there, if anything reported concerned immediate risk to the children and if school etc had flagged up anything.
Since 2011 Operation Encompass has been in place. Any police calls outs to homes where children are present are automatically passed to schools and if no Social Worker is already involved then a referral is usually placed for a Social Services assessment.
You're right though, unless there are significant concerns around alcohol use then the case would be closed or passed to Early Help services.
However, any DV incident where children are in the home at the time they would be automatically classed as a victim of DV through witnessing or hearing the incident. All MOO as a Social Worker myself

I also don't think it is necessary to speculate and elaborate further on the personal health issues of NB as outlined by LE. It is enough to know the most basic facts in order to determine where or how to look for her. I think it was a bit of a nerve for LE to give out this much info. to be frank.
I totally agree with you
I also totally agree, and am also skeptical about a medical/mental health diagnosis which sounds like it was gotten from lay people, but presented by the police as if it is close to a fact. It might be more believable if a psychiatrist or doctor said she had x issues caused/ worsened by menopause, but neither profession would likely give such personal info willingly or likely commit to such a simplistic cause-and-effect.

I honestly don't understand why everyone is on about social services being involved. My sister was and is an alcoholic and Police were called many times by my brother in law and sometimes my sister was arrested and would be seen the next morning by a Police Dr by which time she deemed rational and allowed home. On a couple of occasions I have rang and asked for a crisis team which was usually initially Police and mental health practitioners ould usually just prescribe something. Throughout all this time social workers weren't involved with my nephews and nieces because they were well looked after, doing excellent at school, outgoing, well mannered, well adjusted children. When my sister was sober she was an excellent mum and hands on with homework and everything. I could only really see social services getting involved with children if there wasn't another parent living there, if anything reported concerned immediate risk to the children and if school etc had flagged up anything.
We don't know whether a referral was made into childrens services, but it's fairly standard when a parent is struggling with problematic drinking, particularly in combination with mental health difficulties. Although there might not be any immediate risks to the kids particularly if there is another parent involved there are a lot of hidden harms associated with having a parent with drug or alcohol issues. That's not to say there would always be any intervention, it might just be a conversation to establish the kind of things you are saying were present for your sisters kids eg well looked after, attending school, having a support network etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member