Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Contradicting the majority of people here (and possibly in general), if I saw a dog on its own and a mobile phone on the bench with a lead/harness around the area my first thought would probably be something like "hmm that's a bit weird". I honestly doubt I'd think much more of it than that and carry on walking. I certainly wouldn't go over to the dog and tie it up (although I can see why she would do that, especially as she recognised it) because well... firstly it's not my place to do so because it's not my dog and maybe the owner is going to return soon and she's been left like that for a reason, secondly because the dog could be dangerous! I'm not going to risk being attacked for potentially no reason at all. And thirdly, I would never interfere or get involved with what anyone else is doing in their lives. It really has nothing to do with me. Leading onto that point, I would never want to be a witness of any sort of crime and I'd prefer to walk away from anything than to go over, start touching things and potentially make myself a suspect. I'd avoid being a witness wherever possible and if I HAD to be then I'd most certainly remain anonymous.

Unpopular opinion I'm aware of, maybe not the "right" thing to do either, however I would always put my own safety first. I don't think there's anything strange about what this woman did imo.

Last edited:
Just looking at Sunday TimeNicola Bulley: family say ‘no evidence’ missing mother slipped into river
SI RIley Saying no physical evidence found for her falling to River
And that with the gap being so small, 3rd party invoelvemtn is unlikely.
Also includes a witness describing a large tatty red ban parked in a layby close to where Nicola went missing, but that he reported to police and has not as yet been investigated

one of my best friends Chris Brahney died in similar circumstances in Manchester - he was drunk and possibly intentional (I’ll never know) these cases hurt.

<modsnip>

From my experience with Chris, you know the news is not going to be good.. but you cling onto hope.
I remember this. I live in Bury. So heartbreaking x

Just looking at Sunday TimeNicola Bulley: family say ‘no evidence’ missing mother slipped into river
Also includes a witness describing a large tatty red ban parked in a layby close to where Nicola went missing, but that he reported to police and has not as yet been investigated
The gap is small but only if the witnesses were correct with times.

I wonder who put up the sign dogs must be on lead and why. It seems that rule is flouted and it doesn’t appear to be a council style sign.
I did wonder if there had been any disputes or incidents in the past in the immediate area between dog walkers and someone who may have been unhappy with dogs being off lead.

I can't read the article because of the paywall but that's interesting regarding the Van close by! That's the first I have heard of that info. <modsnip - copying/pasting articles from behind paywall is a TOS violation>

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree is far fetched, not sure of motive - hit job? Just thinking how could there be no signs of struggle where the phone was and the dog not be injured etc. Unless struggle was elsewhere and dog was happy being taken up near the bench with someone else - but presume it would need to know them?
The likelihood of falling in by accident is higher. Just so weird no signs of slip or footprints from edging down the steep bank etc.
do we know for definite that there were no slip marks though? Possible that she went in river further up from bench?

It's an interesting take and I guess we're all different but I personally would feel even more inclined to stick around if I recognised the dog and knew/knew of its owner. If anything it would heighten my worry, but that's just me. It also makes you wonder, if this was an accident, how crucial that time frame between the witness finding the phone and dog and her actually getting it properly reported has scuppered chances of finding NB had she fallen into the river.

Meeting with boss night before despite difference - not unusual work in a job which was previously all in person, post covid mainly remote but still massive value held in face to face time to time

How have they placed the phone precisely at the bench at 9.20. I have no knowledge of Fitbit is it seriously that accurate? As mobile triangulation would be nowhere near that specific

If the lady in a rush tied the dog to the bench, with what? Harness confirmed as away from the bench, lead I don’t think so, so that was still attached? It was retractable and that why willow is described as being between bench and gate as she was still tethered?

Edit spelling

I did wonder if there had been any disputes or incidents in the past in the immediate area between dog walkers and someone who may have been unhappy with dogs being off lead.
It appears the Allotment Lane has farm signs advising dogs must be on lead and looks similar to the tree sign. So keen are they that there’s two signs about dogs and livestock. Is that why the dog was tied up.

Something that led to an altercation near the bench? Would possibly explain the phone on the ground.
Yes that's what I wondered, NB on the bench with phone next to her, lets dog off the lead, someone approaches from behind to remonstrate about this. NB gets up to move away and there's some sort of struggle? MOO

Contradicting the majority of people here (and possibly in general), if I saw a dog on its own and a mobile phone on the bench with a lead/harness around the area my first thought would probably be something like "hmm that's a bit weird". I honestly doubt I'd think much more of it than that and carry on walking. I certainly wouldn't go over to the dog and tie it up (although I can see why she would do that, especially as she recognised it) because well... firstly it's not my place to do so because it's not my dog and maybe the owner is going to return soon and she's been left like that for a reason, secondly because the dog could be dangerous! I'm not going to risk being attacked for potentially no reason at all. And thirdly, I would never interfere or get involved with what anyone else is doing in their lives. It really has nothing to do with me. Leading onto that point, I would never want to be a witness of any sort of crime and I'd prefer to walk away from anything than to go over, start touching things and potentially make myself a suspect. I'd avoid being a witness wherever possible and if I HAD to be then I'd most certainly remain anonymous.

Unpopular opinion I'm aware of, maybe not the "right" thing to do either, however I would always put my own safety first. I don't think there's anything strange about what this woman did imo.
It isn't unpopular opinion. I would do exactly the same as I'm kinda scared of the dogs. I would probably run away.

I think it could be as simple as this, the dog was thirsty, went to get a drink from the river, she couldn't get back up the bank, Nicola put her phone down went to help Willow but couldn't grab her properly as she had no harness on, so had to push her up from the back then maybe she has toppled backwards into the river and couldn't get out unfortunatley, she might of tried to stand up but it was too deep and the weight of her clothes has pulled her down, her little wellies filled up with water and the weight of her gilet, jmho.

It's not that unusual. She probably didn't think anything untoward happened to the owner of the dog. Maybe it was an important appointment that she really couldn't miss.
Of course. Dogs often get lost ,why would you think their owner was missing? Hindsight is a wonderful thing. The poor woman probably feels terrible now without all the criticizing on social media.

Personally I find the phone on the bench the most interesting piece of information. To me it implies one of the following took place:

1. She was about to do something near the river but didn't want her phone to fall in. The bench looks like the only place to put your phone other than the ground.

2. She was already sitting on the bench and was suddenly distracted, leaving it behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper