Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion is that NB falling in the river is not the cause of this tragic incident. I agree with PFs opinion that NB is not in the river he's an expert. The river bends so much in places and so many obstructions and miles away from the ocean. It's been very sunny and visible. No sign of keys, wallet , clothimg, jewelry, or screaming. The first thing I find extremely odd is the dog collar. Why is the dog collar off. If it was just the leash I understand. Why would any dog walker or owner remove a collar while out on a country side walk (assuming NB did). Secondly why would phone be left on the bench ? Even if a dog toy fell in river why put phone on bench when logged in a business call - first rule in financial services is not to leave work accessible equipment lying around. Secondly no one is going for a swim in this cold. If it was a dog toy it would be a toy that could float because otherwise why go after it? If it can float where is the toy? To put phone on bench to get something in river implies you likely chance going into the river especially when she has pockets. If it was going to be a hard task why not log off the call? (NB family would recognise a toy. I agree with PF a full land search of area is necessary.
BBM. We have no way of knowing this hasn't been done. LP seems to be keeping much on the down low.
MOO

just pop them an email or a social media message and inform them of the typo. This isn't hard..
send a journalist a question? How do I know which one will attend the next press conference?

or send LancsPolice a question? ( I'd hate to bother LancsPolice right now)

It was stated by police that they don't believe NB left the field through Rowanwater or by the land adjoining, there is no reason to believe she would be in the lake at the mobile home park.

They don’t believe that’s the case but do they have conclusive evidence she didn’t? They have an eye witness that knew her putting her in the field next to it. (As evidenced in my previous post)

IMO I think it’s worth a look, they have done land searches to the surrounding area after all.

I mean, they are searching all the way out to Morecambe bay atm! I really don’t think she’s in the river.

They don’t believe that’s the case but do they have conclusive evidence she didn’t? They have an eye witness that knew her putting her in the field next to it. (As evidenced in my previous post)

IMO I think it’s worth a look, they have done land searches to the surrounding area after all.

I mean, they are searching all the way out to Morecambe bay atm! I really don’t think she’s in the river.
I don't think she's in the river, either - I think she is in the estaury or out at sea by now. I don't mean that to sound flippant or disrespectful, just honest.

Have there been any ground searches or has it just been water? What if Nicola has been right under their noses the entire time, have all areas of undergrowth been checked? If not then worry that the search has been focused so much on the water that Nicola may have been found by now if other areas had been checked.

Have they been looking for areas of disturbed ground, secluded spots etc… if alarm was not raised for over an hour then a perpetrator could have taken Nicola miles away, can’t help thinking that more attention should be focused on the ground now, especially as she hasn’t been found in the water. But then you hear of people being found in water months after they went missing so I suppose you can’t rule it completely out that she could be in the water.

I have never known a case to gather such media and public attention! I wonder why this specific case has almost the whole country on the edge of their seats? Is it a case of ‘missing white woman syndrome’? I believe the family have helped massively in getting Nicolas name out far and wide imo and media seem to really be running with this story.

At first I thought it was a terrible accident but now I’m not so sure atall and I can’t work out if it’s because there really is something more to Nicolas disappearance or has the public and media frenzy got to my head and persuaded me that this is not as simple as an accidental drowning… MOO

I don't think the tidal effect is strong as far up as St Michaels, regarding the weir of much more interest is the amount of water coming down the river from the catchment area on that day. The river bank is quite steep and the depth will change quite rapidly in response to the volume of water coming downstream. I also suspect the monitoring gauges are not necessarily showing the depth at the deepest part of the river, I imagine they are set to 0 from some "scientifically useful point". As for the tidal effect as you move downstream .....

I'm relying on the fact the LP have consulted the relevant local experienced experts on whether it's possible/likely a body of "whatever buoyancy" might have been able to get over the weir/travel down the river that day/X days later. I'll take their view over WS's "I thinks" and PF.

If they’re not experts in drowning and they’re not pulling x number of bodies a year out of water, then the opinion of these “experienced experts” (sic) is somewhat theoretical.

A note or an email to indicate that was NB's intention that morning would be information that is giving the police the confidence to state that NB went into the river with no suspicious circumstances.
I have trouble believing that the family would be unaware of such evidence if it existed but they have shown no indication that they think she might be in the water (for whatever reason).

Recap of latest police update​

Earlier today, Lancashire Police issued an update on the search. Tomorrow will mark two weeks since Nicola was last seen.

Here are the key points from the force's latest update:

• The search for Nicola continues and police are still searching the river. Police say the focus of the search has now moved further downstream into the area of the river going out towards the sea. The force has reassured people that the smaller police presence in St Michael's does not indicate that the search has been stepped down.
  • Dispersal orders have been issued in the area Nicola was last seen after reports of people filming for social media. Lancashire Police said an order will remain in place in St Michael's for 48 hours. The order gives officers the power to disperse anyone committing anti-social behaviour.
  • The force also said it is looking into "a number of grossly offensive comments being made on social media". They warned that action against individuals will be taken where appropriate.

In an earlier thread, someone here who knows that stretch of the river well commented that a body would be very unlikely to go over the weir given the water level of the river at that time (I'd link but can't find it - there was also a you tube video of an angler there).

It's just occurred to me after reading the recent post by @I wonder (#973 above) whether, given the difficulty of getting out if NB did fall in near to the bench (steep, slippery, unstable banks), she might have headed towards or drifted towards the weir, tried to get out there by getting a foothold on top of the weir, and slipped? In this scenario, the consequences would be drastic and also take a person in the tidal stretch of the river.

The banks on the other side look of the river less steep, but that wasn't the side she would have wanted to get out at.

Also - just to add - getting out of a municipal swimming pool by not using the steps, just by hauling yourself up and out at the side, is tough enough when just wearing swim clothes and in relative comfort. This thought brings home to me how difficult it would be to haul yourself upwards with the added weight of soaked winter clothing.

People who fall in rivers are frequently not found for a considersble period of time. It can easily be 4+ weeks before a body is recovered and it can be significant distances away - 5+ miles.

A recent Edinburgh missing person was found 6 weeks and around 8 miles away.

Last edited:
Full hour long TV special tomorrow, 10th, at 9pm on Ch5. "Where is Nicola? A Ch.5 News Special"

In this special live programme news anchor and presenter Dan Walker explores the circumstances of Nicola Bulley's vanishing. He will speak to experts, those who know Nicola and the police. The show will raise important questions including what Nicola's Fitbit could potentially reveal? Why did she leave her phone on the bench? And how can a woman simply disappear leaving no trace?

Last edited:
Yet the timeline at the bottom of the statement makes no mention of the 9.20 sighting but does say the phone is located at bench st 9.20!!!
This is not making sense. Dyou think they have made a mistake in the statement.
Yes. I think they have made a mistake in the body of the text because the timeline below is showing as last sighting in upper field 9.10

In an earlier thread, someone here who knows that stretch of the river well commented that a body would be very unlikely to go over the weir given the water level of the river at that time (I'd link but can't find it - there was also a you tube video of an angler there).

It's just occurred to me after reading the recent post by @I wonder (#973 above) whether, given the difficulty of getting out if NB did fall in near to the bench (steep, slippery, unstable banks), she might have headed towards or drifted towards the weir, tried to get out there by getting a foothold on top of the weir, and slipped? In this scenario, the consequences would be drastic and also take a person in the tidal stretch of the river.

The banks on the other side look of the river less steep, but that wasn't the side she would have wanted to get out at.

Also - just to add - getting out of a municipal swimming pool by not using the steps, just by hauling yourself up and out at the side, is tough enough when just wearing swim clothes and in relative comfort. This thought brings home to me how difficult it would be to haul yourself upwards with the added weight of soaked winter clothing.
The weir is an open one in that location, meaning anything floating will go over it.

Add to the clothing the lead weight effect of her boots filling with water.

If someone goes into that water and doesn't get out within about 2 minutes, they will die. The water temp there is abt 38F on a good day in winter.

If only we knew what the police know

I think this is an excellent summary and I agree with the phone placement on the bench and that NB would have left the phone on the bench to put the harness on willow. I think about every theory possible has been proposed and my thought would be that somebody could have been hidden initially in the water board building along the embankment and caused some harm to NB that way. It also could have given a view across the fields up to a point as well. Even if it was locked it would be easy to remove for somebody determined and re locked with another padlock. Obviously all IMO
In this photo on Google maps from 4 years ago I can't see that it has a padlock. In fact the door looks open at the bottom but this could just be an illusion as the top of the door looks closed. It would make a good hiding place for anyone wanting to be hidden.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230209_224833_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230209_224833_Maps.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 38
Have there been any ground searches or has it just been water? What if Nicola has been right under their noses the entire time, have all areas of undergrowth been checked? If not then worry that the search has been focused so much on the water that Nicola may have been found by now if other areas had been checked.

Have they been looking for areas of disturbed ground, secluded spots etc… if alarm was not raised for over an hour then a perpetrator could have taken Nicola miles away, can’t help thinking that more attention should be focused on the ground now, especially as she hasn’t been found in the water. But then you hear of people being found in water months after they went missing so I suppose you can’t rule it completely out that Have there been any ground searches or has it just been water? What if Nicola has been right under their noses the entire time, have all areas of undergrowth been checked? If not then worry that the search has been focused so much on the water that Nicola may have been found by now if other areas had been checked.

Have they been looking for areas of disturbed ground, secluded spots etc… if alarm was not raised for over an hour then a perpetrator could have taken Nicola miles away, can’t help thinking that more attention should be focused on the ground now, especially as she hasn’t been found in the water. But then you hear of people being found in water months after they went missing so I suppose you can’t rule it completely out that she could be in the water.

I have never known a case to gather such media and public attention! I wonder why this specific case has almost the whole country on the edge of their seats? Is it a case of ‘missing white woman syndrome’? I believe the family have helped massively in getting Nicolas name out far and wide imo and media seem to really be running with this story.

At first I thought it was a terrible accident but now I’m not so sure atall and I can’t work out if it’s because there really is something more to Nicolas disappearance or has the public and media frenzy got to my head and persuaded me that this is not as simple as an accidental drowning… MOO

There has been ground searches. In the press conference it was mentioned that they had done ground searches of a 1km radius I think. Please correct me if I’m wrong on that distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scroobius