UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A nurse accused of multiple murders at a hospital neo-natal unit broke down in tears as a doctor began giving evidence at her trial.

Lucy Letby, 33, abruptly left her seat in the middle of the glass-panelled dock at Manchester Crown Court as the medic, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, confirmed his name.

She was visibly upset as she walked towards the exit door before she had a brief, hushed conversation with a woman dock officer.

10% per copyright - more to read at link

Evening Standard - Nurse accused of murdering babies breaks down as doctor gives evidence at trial
That's the first time I have seen any emotion reported...has anyone else read any before?

The doctor, a registrar at the Countess of Chester Hospital in 2016, continued his evidence screened from the public gallery and the defendant.

Still appearing unsettled, she spoke with her solicitor through the glass panel before her barrister, Ben Myers KC, indicated to trial judge Mr Justice Goss that proceedings could continue.

[...]

Letby listened on as she wiped away tears with a tissue and took a few sips of water.

[...]

He treated Child L in the early hours of April 10 2015 – the day after Letby is said to have attacked the baby.

[...]

Asked by prosecutor Philip Astbury why it was necessary to stop the levels falling, the doctor said: “Because low blood glucose levels in a baby can cause seizures.

“It’s damaging to a baby. If it falls to a much lower level, then it can cause liver damage and brain injury.”

Chester Standard - Lucy Letby breaks down as doctor gives evidence at trial
Independent Nurse accused of murdering babies breaks down as doctor gives evidence at trial

A nurse accused of multiple murders at a hospital neo-natal unit broke down in tears as a doctor began giving evidence at her trial.

Lucy Letby, 33, abruptly left her seat in the middle of the glass-panelled dock at Manchester Crown Court as the medic, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, confirmed his name.

She was visibly upset as she walked towards the exit door before she had a brief, hushed conversation with a woman dock officer.

10% per copyright - more to read at link

Evening Standard - Nurse accused of murdering babies breaks down as doctor gives evidence at trial
Well now, this is interesting.

This has to be an ex-paramour of some kind , or at least someone she had feelings for? I don’t recall any mention of her reacting when former colleagues with whom she was friends have given evidence .

none at all.

I would say it appears to be who he is, and not his evidence, since she cried when he gave his name. JMO

Interesting. And possibly someone she knows well and/or may have been someone she regarded as a close friend? I can see how that would trigger emotion.

I'm not surprised that she hasn't shown emotion in general though. I certainly wouldn't see it as an indication of guilt.

Last edited:
Jesus, her first big emotional reaction... to the point of leaving her seat in the dock, is not in relation to hearing about the horrible things that were allegedly done to those babies, or the bereaved parents' testimonies ...

but appears to be in relation to her own feelings about this particular doctor?

IMO

I'm guessing it's the first time he's given evidence in the trial as well, since I can't think of a male doctor who's given evidence from behind a screen before.

I don't think they gave the name of the doctor she messaged on Facebook about baby bleeding , (when there was no record of her telling anybody else) so I wonder if its the same doctor? As some have chosen not to be publicly named and to give evidence behind a screen.

LL seemed surprised by the presence of this person judging by her emotional reaction.

Does this mean she doesn't know who is going to testify?

I thought everything is planned and the defendant knows exactly who will appear in witness stand.

JMO

Jesus, her first big emotional reaction... to the point of leaving her seat in the dock, is not in relation to hearing about the horrible things that were allegedly done to those babies, or the bereaved parents' testimonies ...

IMO

But we don't know that. We don't know why she reacted as she did. We don't know what the trigger was. <modsnip: violates sub judice>

She remains such an unknown quantity.

Hopefully we'll get to know her better as the trial moves on.

Last edited by a moderator:
LL seemed surprised by the presence of this person judging by her emotional reaction.

Does this mean she doesn't know who is going to testify?

I thought everything is planned and the defendant knows exactly who will appear in witness stand.

JMO
No, she will have known. Which gives even more weight to the assumption that theres something about him specifically that triggers her to react this much, even though she knew he was going to speak

But we don't know that. We don't know why she reacted as she did. We don't know what the trigger was.

[edited out as post moderated]

She remains such an unknown quantity.

My opinion that "it appears to be in relation to her own feelings about this particular doctor" is based purely on the fact that this is the first time she's apparently had this reaction and it happened at the point his name was mentioned, then she broke down, wanted to leave and apparently carried on dabbing away tears throughout his testimony. Unless it's some massive coincidence that all this happened right at the point where she heard his name, then I think the obvious conclusion is that the reaction was a response to him.

Last edited:
"The trial judge, Mr Justice Goss, saw the drama unfold in front of him and asked a defence solicitor to 'just see what the problem is'."

IMO
Says it all really.

Says it all really.
I remember reading that some medical staff cried when in witness stand.
And LL remained stoically calm.

And now this - no wonder all headlines I saw reporting the trial shout
"The nurse breaks down"

The Judge seemed surprised and concerned about the "drama unfolding" :oops:
The Jury certainly took notice as well.

JMO

makes for very interesting reading. There are some applicable points but I’m not sure with such a dearth of info relating to healthcare killers that any of it is set it stone.

specifically the impression management part or “social blending“. it appears to me she is oblivious to the potential that she could be held under suspicion, would appear to me that she is either oblivious or unnaturally good at appearing innocent. As an example the move to day shifts isn’t met with any resistance or questions, the time she mentioned “hurtful comments“ isn’t exactly a haughty and direct response to what seems to be very inflammatory remarks. It being a well known thing on the unit at the time I think would give an arrogant individual all the motivation for anger.

I’m not sure we can say there is a strong indication of attention seeking and I wouldn’t say judging by the info we have seen I could make an argument for her being a sensation seeker Either. seems to prefer low stimulation but that’s a guess.

no history of substance misuse, no evidence or indicators as of yet to a personality issue and absolutely no evidence of falsified credentials. The latter very much goes against her consistent history of being localised to the hospital after university. I think that runs in tandem with healthcare killers often moving from one place to another and so having to “create an image“ at each new place. Indeed she seems to be anchored around the countess.

jmo though. I could be very wrong.

yeh the insulin is kept in the fridge under lock and key. One set of keys that wasn’t logged was used to get access. Check the end of post #79.
Well you'd have to be extremely calculated and superficial to be able to give the appearance of being so 'socially normal' . I suppose it's also an extremely unpalatable concept that a person who might have these tendencies might also enjoy regular social activities with friends and family.
The closest I've ever come to seeing anything like it would be in movies tbh.. !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelpingHandz