UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There were always more staff on during day shifts, and less parents around.

There was about a month between the alleged attempted murders of baby F and baby G, which coincides with LL not working night-shifts during that time.

Later on in the year, when LL was moved to day shifts to give her more support in terms of staffing numbers, the events started happening during days as well.

This would make sense that there was a gap then if there were more staff on day shift, less opportunity to be undetected.

The move from nights to days and then the events starting to happen in the day is damning, what are the chances that the ‘bad luck’ just follows LL from nights to days? Were there no more events on nights once she moved to days?

That’s the kind of thing I expect people to remember. Considering whoever let her in had only been working an hour presumably as well. That’s one of the layers I thought would be difficult to go through without a log. Memory or otherwise.

There is one the other side of the door so staff can physically let you in, I think they have to put their lanyard card (swipe card?) up against it which registers that it’s an authorised person (like the swipe card data we have for LL) so not just anyone can press a button and let people in. Theres not always someone around by the door so some have the intercom system too, that way the nurse can verify who you are and let you in without having to leave the desk to keep letting people in. I think it varies from unit to unit though.
I think that’s a reasonable security feature but then why no door swipe data or a log that the door was opened a touch before 9? Or human memory if the buzzer when operated isn’t recorded?

[/QUOTE]
The chart doesn’t paint a full picture, which makes it less helpful that it could be. For example, Baby N had several desaturations on the shift prior to the second alleged attack, when LL wasn’t working, but that won’t appear on the chart as it only includes the shifts of LL’s alleged attacks.
You are right that's important we understand the baby's clinical circumstances in the lead up to each of the alleged attacks but the baby's history will be accounted for in the notes and in the intelligence analysis. The chart focuses on the dates of assumed foul play, the other intelligence focuses on the finer detail surrounding the alleged events.
Moo

The chart doesn’t paint a full picture, which makes it less helpful that it could be. For example, Baby N had several desaturations on the shift prior to the second alleged attack, when LL wasn’t working, but that won’t appear on the chart as it only includes the shifts of LL’s alleged attacks.
Actually the nurses from the shift prior were included in the chart for the second alleged event.

That’s the kind of thing I expect people to remember. Considering whoever let her in had only been working an hour presumably as well. That’s one of the layers I thought would be difficult to go through without a log. Memory or otherwise.
The amount of people the nurses let in every shift I doubt most could remember who they buzzed in last week never mind 6-7 years ago, especially remembering the exact time they let them in. It’s something you’d do while you’re halfway through another task, so it’s a quick verification that they’re the parents, buzz in, continue with what you were doing. IMO.

This would make sense that there was a gap then if there were more staff on day shift, less opportunity to be undetected.

The move from nights to days and then the events starting to happen in the day is damning, what are the chances that the ‘bad luck’ just follows LL from nights to days? Were there no more events on nights once she moved to days?
All the unexpected events followed her shift patterns.

I think that’s a reasonable security feature but then why no door swipe data or a log that the door was opened a touch before 9? Or human memory if the buzzer when operated isn’t recorded?
If she was let in through the intercom buzzer system then there wouldn’t be a record I don’t think. I doubt anyone could remember the exact time they opened a door for someone, whether it was last week or last year. Baby E’s mum visited a few times that evening (I think it’s 3) so it wouldn’t be reliable to ask the nurse who let her in for the time as she could be remembering the 8, 9 or 10pm visit MOO.

The amount of people the nurses let in every shift I doubt most could remember who they buzzed in last week never mind 6-7 years ago, especially remembering the exact time they let them in. It’s something you’d do while you’re halfway through another task, so it’s a quick verification that they’re the parents, buzz in, continue with what you were doing. IMO.
Are we sure the nurses weren’t interviewed closer to the time? I’m almost sure they would otherwise there would be a question of how reliable the testimony when it comes to personal accounts is. This many years is a long time indeed to be remembering with any accuracy those quite triviallitt details.

Are we sure the nurses weren’t interviewed closer to the time? I’m almost sure they would otherwise there would be a question of how reliable the testimony when it comes to personal accounts is. This many years is a long time indeed to be remembering with any accuracy those quite triviallitt details.
This happened in 2015. Police were called in by the hospital in 2017.

I think what I’m trying to get at is whether it was a week, month or year since the nurse buzzed her in, she’s not going to remember the exact time of completing such a mundane insignificant task as buzzing someone in. And even if you believe the defense version of events, baby E’s mum visited at the very least twice that night, it would be very difficult for the person who let her in to the unit to know with much certainty whether it was the 8, 9 or 10pm visit she recalls buzzing her in for.

I’m miffed the doors don’t seem to have a log of when they are opened. Totally get the memory recall issues.

Actually the nurses from the shift prior were included in the chart for the second alleged event.
just adding link to testimony, from the shift prior

Nursery nurse Jennifer Jones-Key is now in the witness box. She was on a night shift on 14 June 2016 and was Child N's designated nurse along with Neonatal assistant Lisa Walker.

https://twitter.com/MrDanDonoghue

If that’s true then they’re adding nurses on who weren’t actually on the relevant shift, specifically so it doesn’t ‘break up’ the pattern of LL’s constant presence?

If that’s true then they’re adding nurses on who weren’t actually on the relevant shift, specifically so it doesn’t ‘break up’ the pattern of LL’s constant presence?
It's actually working in LL's favour, increasing the chances for other staff to be on duty as much as LL was at the times of these events. The second event happened before handover from night to day staff.

I’m miffed the doors don’t seem to have a log of when they are opened. Totally get the memory recall issues.
I think they only record when they were opened by a member of staff using their swipe card. If a nurse used their swipe card around 9pm there’s no way of knowing whether she was letting in baby E’s mum or another parent at that time. (I’m assuming this is how it works but don’t quote me on it)

When you compound baby E’s mums statement with her 9.11pm phone call to her husband however, IMO that completely adds up to her visiting neonatal around 9pm, witnessing her baby screaming and with blood around his mouth, being told to leave by LL and then calling her husband upset. Add to that the registrar I think, or doctor, one of the 2, refuting LL’s statement that she was told to omit the 9pm feed. There is no reason to not believe that E’s mum visited the unit to provide milk for her baby’s 9pm feed. Even if we believe LL, E’s mum didn’t know at the time that LL was told to omit the 9pm feed. All she would have known is that her baby needed feeding at 9pm and she would have moved mountains IMO to ensure her baby was fed.

All MOO

So do we know if any staff other than ll were interviewed close to 2017? They knew about the alleged incidents and timings so I would have thought they would interview them albeit not with the investigations data? Ie the notes say at this time nurse … was treating this baby in room 2. All that data would take a long time to collect and collate.

"Entry to the neonatal unit was controlled through locked doors. One from the public entrance side, the other from the maternity/labour side.
Swipe cards would be used by staff to gain access to the neonatal unit, and their dates and times would be recorded.

12:17pm

Times when this would not record someone would be:
a) when person A swipes to open the door, and person B also enters at the same time
b) from inside the hospital via a push-button to open the door
c) via the buzz system of gaining entry - pressing a buzzer and a member of staff would provide entry for individuals
The system of entry is 'commonplace', the court hears."

Recap: Lucy Letby trial, Friday, October 14

So do we know if any staff other than ll were interviewed close to 2017? They knew about the alleged incidents and timings so I would have thought they would interview them albeit not with the investigations data? Ie the notes say at this time nurse … was treating this baby in room 2. All that data would take a long time to collect and collate.
No one knew about the bleeding event at 9pm until the mum was interviewed by police. It wasn't in the nursing records. Even Dr Evans didn't know about it when he did his first report. So no one would have been questioned about any of that until after the mother gave her statement to police.

It's actually working in LL's favour, increasing the chances for other staff to be on duty as much as LL was at the times of these events. The second event happened before handover from night to day staff.
She wasn’t working the night shift of the 14th, she worked the day shifts of the 14th and 15th, neither of which appear on this chart. She wasn’t working the night of the 14th, where the baby suffered several desaturations, and for some reason she’s listed on this chart as working that shift, presumably because she turned up to have a chat with JJK prior to handover.

I cannot see how this would be considered working in her favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper