UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
7m ago14:14

Court has resumed​

This afternoon's session has begun, overseen by Mr Justice Goss.
Nick Johnson KC will continue his questioning of Lucy Letby.
It will be a shorter session, ending at 3pm today.

2:22pm

Letby says she knows there was blood recorded prior to 3pm.
Mr Johnson says the doctor colleague recalled, in evidence, seeing blood before the intubation process at 8am.
Benjamin Myers KC, for the defence, rises to say that in cross-examination, the doctor colleague did not rule out the possibility the blood was present after the attempt to intubate.
Mr Johnson says there was an attempt to intubate at 8am. Letby agrees. Letby also agrees with the observation there was swelling at the back of Child M's throat. She says she "cannot comment" further on what the doctor colleague saw.

2:24pm

Letby recorded in her notes, written at 1.53pm retrospectively: '...unable to intubate - fresh blood noted in mouth and yielded via suction ++'
Mr Johnson says the doctors could not see, for the blood. Letby says she cannot say what doctors observed.
Letby agrees that evidence from Professor Sally Kinsey ruled out 'spontaneous haemhorrhage' for Child M at this time.

What I mean is, she should have been looking at the baby and the monitor and not at Dr J as he entered into the room. To be exact though, her back or side should be facing Dr J. ;)

Sorry to be dim, but I still don't understand! She could easily have been facing the doorway, so Dr. J when he came in, couldn't she?

Reactions: IDK
Now14:33

Letby denies calling Child N's parents as he was intubated​

The court is being told about a nursing note Lucy Letby made just before 2pm on 15 June 2016 - the day she is accused of the attempted murder of Child N.
Letby claims she first saw blood on the boy "immediately before" a tube was inserted.
"Fresh blood noted in mouth," her nursing note says.
A doctor said he saw blood in Child N's throat before he started the intubation process.
Letby's lawyer points out, in cross-examination, that this doctor said he could not be sure if blood was present before or during the procedure.
The doctor said he saw swelling at the back of the infant's throat and said it "must have been unusual for me to remember it".
A medical expert "eliminated" the prospect of a spontaneous haemorrhage.
The court is then read an extract from the evidence of Child N's father. He previously told the court:
I was at work. I then received a phone call from Child N's nurse, Lucy. [Letby] said he had been a bit unwell in the night but said he is okay now. I told Lucy that [Child N's] mum would be in in a bit to see him as usual and that was that... I did not get the impression that he was still unwell and needed to be concerned... About ten minutes later [Child N's mother] rang me and said we had to go to the hospital.
Letby disputes she made this phone call.
"I don't recall speaking to the parents myself," she tells the court.
Her nursing note says a different colleague attempted to call the family during the intubation, but neither of them answered and a message was left on their landline.
Letby's nursing note reads: "Call returned shortly after and parents were asked to attend. Have been present since.
Both understandably upset.
"

2:35pm

Letby is asked about family communication with Child M's parents. A note by Letby at the time: 'Parents were contacted by S/N Butterworth during intubation. Both mobile phones switched off and no answer on landline. Message left. Callr eturned shortly after and parents were asked to attend. Have been present since.
'Both understandably upset...'
Agreed evidence said Child M's mother had said Lucy Letby had been in contact with them.
Letby says "it's a difference in recollection".
Mr Johnson says this is agreed evidence, it's the truth.
He says Letby's note "is a lie".
Letby: "no, it's not."
The mother recalled Child M 'had a bleed and was unwell', and said Letby had informed the parents of this.
Letby: "No, I disagree."
NJ: "But it's agreed evidence."
LL: "Well, I disagree with it now."
Mr Johnson says this is another account from a parent which Letby says is untrue.
Mr Johnson says Letby has been 'firing out post-it notes from the dock' during the trial, but had not raised this issue at the time.
LL: "I'm not sure."
NJ: "Is the answer no?"
LL: "It's not something I raised with my legal team."
Letby: "I don't want to comment on whats, ifs and buts."
Mr Johnson says Letby interrupted when the mother of Child E and F gave evidence, to say she couldn't hear, and wanted to leave the courtroom when a doctor colleague began to give evidence.
LL: "Yes, because I felt unwell."
Mr Johnson says: "No, no..." adding that it was because it was her boyfriend who was giving evidence.
Letby: "That's not fair."
Mr Myers rises to say the line of questioning is inappropriate, and asks for the opportunity to consider the issue raised [of a dispute in agreed evidence].

Now14:33

Letby denies calling Child N's parents as he was intubated​

The court is being told about a nursing note Lucy Letby made just before 2pm on 15 June 2016 - the day she is accused of the attempted murder of Child N.
Letby claims she first saw blood on the boy "immediately before" a tube was inserted.
"Fresh blood noted in mouth," her nursing note says.
A doctor said he saw blood in Child N's throat before he started the intubation process.
Letby's lawyer points out, in cross-examination, that this doctor said he could not be sure if blood was present before or during the procedure.
The doctor said he saw swelling at the back of the infant's throat and said it "must have been unusual for me to remember it".
A medical expert "eliminated" the prospect of a spontaneous haemorrhage.
The court is then read an extract from the evidence of Child N's father. He previously told the court:
I was at work. I then received a phone call from Child N's nurse, Lucy. [Letby] said he had been a bit unwell in the night but said he is okay now. I told Lucy that [Child N's] mum would be in in a bit to see him as usual and that was that... I did not get the impression that he was still unwell and needed to be concerned... About ten minutes later [Child N's mother] rang me and said we had to go to the hospital.
Letby disputes she made this phone call.
"I don't recall speaking to the parents myself," she tells the court.
Her nursing note says a different colleague attempted to call the family during the intubation, but neither of them answered and a message was left on their landline.
Letby's nursing note reads: "Call returned shortly after and parents were asked to attend. Have been present since.
Both understandably upset."

I don't recall hearing this before that she allegedly called the father. Would this be normal practice?

2:35pm

Letby is asked about family communication with Child M's parents. A note by Letby at the time: 'Parents were contacted by S/N Butterworth during intubation. Both mobile phones switched off and no answer on landline. Message left. Callr eturned shortly after and parents were asked to attend. Have been present since.
'Both understandably upset...'
Agreed evidence said Child M's mother had said Lucy Letby had been in contact with them.
Letby says "it's a difference in recollection".
Mr Johnson says this is agreed evidence, it's the truth.
He says Letby's note "is a lie".
Letby: "no, it's not."
The mother recalled Child M 'had a bleed and was unwell', and said Letby had informed the parents of this.
Letby: "No, I disagree."
NJ: "But it's agreed evidence."
LL: "Well, I disagree with it now."
Mr Johnson says this is another account from a parent which Letby says is untrue.
Mr Johnson says Letby has been 'firing out post-it notes from the dock' during the trial, but had not raised this issue at the time.
LL: "I'm not sure."
NJ: "Is the answer no?"
LL: "It's not something I raised with my legal team."
Letby: "I don't want to comment on whats, ifs and buts."
Mr Johnson says Letby interrupted when the mother of Child E and F gave evidence, to say she couldn't hear, and wanted to leave the courtroom when a doctor colleague began to give evidence.
LL: "Yes, because I felt unwell."
Mr Johnson says: "No, no..." adding that it was because it was her boyfriend who was giving evidence.
Letby: "That's not fair."
Mr Myers rises to say the line of questioning is inappropriate, and asks for the opportunity to consider the issue raised [of a dispute in agreed evidence].

Wow

1m ago14:36

'You didn't like hearing your boyfriend giving evidence, did you?'​

Lucy Letby tells the court that she is disputing the agreed evidence put before the court by Child N's parents.
"Yes, I have no recollection of speaking to the family on the phone and I would not have put [colleague]'s name on the note if that were not the case," she tells the court.
Agreed evidence means it has been submitted to the court as an agreed "truth".
"With respect, there has been a lot of evidence gone over and I have relied on the legal team," she says.
Nick Johnson KC, for the prosecution, then says: "We have seen you firing out Post-it notes from the dock."
"Which I think I am entitled to do," Letby says.
"Absolutely you are," Mr Johnson says. "Have you raised an issue with these agreed statements being read?"
"I can't say now," Letby says.
Mr Johnson then adds: "If you had raised an issue and they didn't raise it with the court what would you do?"
Letby says she does not want to comment on "ifs and buts".
Mr Johnson then asks why Letby tried to leave the dock when her colleague - whom she allegedly had a crush on - gave evidence.
Letby says this was because she was unwell.
"You didn't like hearing your boyfriend giving evidence, did you?" Mr Johnson asks.
"That's not fair," says Letby.

https://news.sky.com/story/lucy-let...ws-blog-12868375?postid=6020824#liveblog-body

2:39pm

Letby adds she did not make the phone call to Child N's parents, and denies making false entries in the paperwork.
An intensive care chart is shown for Child N on June 15, saying at 10am '1ml fresh blood'. Letby says she "cannot say" if it was a vomit or aspirate. The note is in Letby's handwriting.
Letby is asked what she did about it.
Letby: "I cannot say right now."

2:42pm

Mr Johnson asks what would Letby do if fresh blood was observed in Child N's mouth?
LL: "I don't know if it was in the mouth." Letby adds such an observation would have been escalated, but she does not know who to. Mr Johnson says there is no record of it being escalated.
Letby agrees there is no "written record", but it may have been verbally escalated. She says 1ml fresh blood is not normal but not a life-threatening event.
Mr Johnson says for a baby with haemophilia, it was serious.
Letby says it would be a concern, and would be escalated.

2:46pm

A doctor in the ward does not record the bleed during the ward round, the court is told.
Mr Johnson says Letby has "invented" the blood reading for 10am. Letby: "I disagree."
Mr Johnson suggests it was all designed to give an ongoing impression for a child with haemophilia. Letby disagrees.

2:48pm

Letby says it's true that an NG Tube can cause "a small amount" of bleeding in the mouth.
Letby says she cannot say if she didn't escalate it [the bleed in Child N] verbally.

Not even 4 hours on the stand today, early finish at 3pm. This is only her 11th day on the stand, only her 7th day being cross examined. Just because she’s been on the stand since 2nd may let’s not get the impression that she’s tired or has spent an unprecedented amount of time being cross examined IMO. Atleast 2 of those 7 days have ended up not returning from lunch, court hasn’t been starting til atleast 10.30 with around 1.5 hours for breaks. She’s spent roughly 24 hours under cross. Spread out over 3 whole weeks.

I struggle to see how this cross examination is particularly intense or tough compared to other cases she’s being treated extremely fair IMO.

2:51pm

A Facebook message from Letby is sent to a doctor colleague at 11.29am on June 15.
'Small amounts of blood from mouth & 1ml from ng. Looks like pulmonary bleed on Xray. Given factor 8 - wait and see. Apnoeas have improved & gases good, colour & perfusion still not Great. If deteriorates will try to intubate.'
The x-ray report ruled out a pulmonary bleed. Letby says this report came some time later.
Mr Johnson suggests either there wasn't a problem at all, that Letby was making evidence up, or Letby was causing the problem. Letby disagrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke