UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #27

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gone back to being confused and unsure again :(

Possibly because points Myers or LL raised previously that were refuted or explained away by witnesses have now been raised again in his closing speech, as if the witnesses had never refuted them at all. Leaving his comments on the medical experts' opinions aside for a moment...take the claim that Sophie Ellis wasn't experienced or qualified enough to be looking after her designated babies...

Three nurses disagreed with that when cross examined and said that Sophie was competent and able to take care of the babies she was allocated. The only person saying she wasn't was LL.

"Mr Johnson says it was "repeatedly" questioned whether Sophie Ellis - "the new girl" as was "up to the mark" to look after Child C. Three nurses dismissed that suggestion."

So having heard from those three nurses, what does Myers state today in his closing speech?

"Mr Myers says Sophie Ellis "should not have been looking after" Child C, as she was "inexperienced" and put in charge of a "fragile little boy"."

JMO
sources:

I think Myer's closing statement is pretty much a rehash of his opening statement. These are all really compelling ideas and theories he's throwing out there, until you remember that every one of the medical witnesses refuted his ideas. And he didn't provide one medical expert to back up what he is saying. If he had then it would make this a lot more difficult to decide. But he didn't. I don't understand how he is allowed to give the jury medical opinions about the causes of the collapses, when we haven't heard that evidence during the trial.

I think Myer's closing statement is pretty much a rehash of his opening statement. These are all really compelling ideas and theories he's throwing out there, until you remember that every one of the medical witnesses refuted his ideas. And he didn't provide one medical expert to back up what he is saying. If he had then it would make this a lot more difficult to decide. But he didn't. I don't understand how he is allowed to give the jury medical opinions about the causes of the collapses, when we haven't heard that evidence during the trial.
Yes, it's like he's completely erased the last 8 months and just repeated his opening statement.

Yes, it's like he's completely erased the last 8 months and just repeated his opening statement.

To be fair, the last 8 months didn't really give him anything to work with, one decent hardworking plumber notwithstanding!

I've got a pretty good feeling that one week of what appears to be garbage plus one defence plumber's statement is not going to erase the juries memories of everything they've been through day in day out, week in week out, month in month out.

If I were in that court room, I'd probably start to hallucinate or laugh hysterically from the intensity and stress of it by this stage in the game. Got such admiration for those jurors, I hope they all make it this last leg!

JMO MOO

To be fair, the last 8 months didn't really give him anything to work with, one decent hardworking plumber notwithstanding!

I've got a pretty good feeling that one week of what appears to be garbage plus one defence plumber's statement is not going to erase the juries memories of everything they've been through day in day out, week in week out, month in month out.

If I were in that court room, I'd probably start to hallucinate or laugh hysterically from the intensity and stress of it by this stage in the game. Got such admiration for those jurors, I hope they all make it this last leg!

JMO MOO
"Decent hardworking plumber" :D
I loved it, haha
How true!

Plumbers are usually in demand mind you, but to rise to such heights!
Wow!
I might ask my much sought for plumber for some medical advice :)

Another day of random tosh imo. Without anyone actually supporting his medical theories, they are just that: “theories” delivered by a barrister with no medical evidence or expertise.
I feel as though we’re just listening to BM state his own biased opinions why the prosecution is incorrect without having a single shred of evidence to support any of it. Except the entrusted plumber.

Only thing I feel imo I will be able to take from his closing speech will be his biased (own) opinions in support of the defendant. Naturally of course, but what else is there?

Jmo if guilty.

Another day of random tosh imo. Without anyone actually supporting his medical theories, they are just that: “theories” delivered by a barrister with no medical evidence or expertise.
I feel as though we’re just listening to BM state his own biased opinions why the prosecution is incorrect without having a single shred of evidence to support any of it. Except the entrusted plumber.

Only thing I feel imo I will be able to take from his closing speech will be his biased (own) opinions in support of the defendant. Naturally of course, but what else is there?

Jmo if guilty.

I've often wondered when barristers do this, if they're just repeating the defensive / denial stories of their client and don't necessarily believe it one way or another so much as being the defendant's mouthpiece? After all, it doesn't actually legally mean anything.

I feel as if they could start every sentence with 'my client says...' which is pretty redundant stuff IMO JMO

Jmo if guilty.

Are they his opinions or his client's stories though?

I have a sneaky feeling that not every defence barrister is finding their client innocent by the end of a case and can likely see the points of law where a jury ought rightly convict but they can hardly throw the towel in. Can they...? (IANAL!) JMO

Are they his opinions or his client's stories though?

I have a sneaky feeling that not every defence barrister is finding their client innocent by the end of a case and can likely see the points of law where a jury ought rightly convict but they can hardly throw the towel in. Can they...? (IANAL!) JMO
Hazards of the job I suppose.

Jmo if guilty.
This! It’s like watching the average person on Facebook become more of an expert than the person with the phd or doctorate

It was definitely more than one case: "Blanching and migrating areas of cutaneous pallor were noted in several cases and, in one of our own cases we noted bright pink vessels against a generally cyanosed cutaneous background. This we attributed to direct oxygenation of erythrocytes adjacent to free air in the vascular system, while the tissues continued to be poorly perfused and oxygenated."

Quoted from the article.
Does NJ get a chance for rebuttal? Meyers is making some incorrect statements that should be pushed back on. :mad:

I picture everyone asleep in the courtroom, judge, jury, maybe even Lucy as Dr Myers bangs on for hours on end, talking to himself about medical innuendos and possibilities.

It is literally the only way I can explain how someone with no medical experience is allowed to claim medical facts despite not bringing in a single expert…Other than the expert of copper pipes

I suppose it's fair to say that both parties are summarising their respective sides? I thought that was the point of it.
My post was a tad flippant. My previous posts explained a bit better the point I was getting at (re acting as if the medical experts and witnesses hadn't refuted/disputed his claims) so I won't repeat myself.

So the jury are just sitting there listening to this thinking “ what was the last 8 months all about then ? “
Bizarre.
JMO
If Meyers goes through each baby, one at a time, it is going to start working against him. Can he use that same tactic with each one---that all the experts were mistaken or dishonest? And will the jury start noticing how very many babies there were that were collapsing? And all because of understaffing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GuardianAngelTaskForce