VERDICT WATCH UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a Monday, we have all over done it on a Sunday night when we know we shouldn‘t! I hope lots of water helps and all are back together in the morning. Sorry for my bad thoughts, I just feel so desperately for the families.
Speaking as someone who always has Monday's off I can assure you that that is the usual plan for my Mondays!

It is possible that they do. When I went there and it was called off the judge said he "was made aware over the weekend" but I think the jury and everyone still has to attend to hear the news from the judge in person.
Yes, I think so. Has to be done that way in order for it to be an official event, if you see what I mean?

I feel a verdict should come soon. If it hasn't come by the end of Wednesday I think it's a bit worrying. In the sense that it suggests that a unanimous verdict is unlikely or difficult to come by.

I think if there's no verdict by tomo afternoon then something's seriously in dispute. EDIT: apologies, just read that a juror is absent

Such a shame for the families ..it always seems to be a Monday or directly after a Bank Holiday

Hangover / come down maybe.

This is the problem with the jury system. I totally believe in the 'tried by a jury of ones peers' - but - I'm more in favour of a different system where juries are made up of people who are wholly willing to do the service and not randomly picked.

Imagine what it would have been like being on this trial if one wasn't really up for it in the first place? I'm very much in favour of reform of the jury system on this basis and the arguments for a different system are compelling.

Yes I know, same here.

But what if they felt they had become ill from the stress and were having a breakdown.

That's what I'm wondering. It's been a stressful trial to just follow, let alone being a juror. If they were signed off sick with stress then I guess the judge would make a decision about whether to continue without them. Hopefully if it's something like that they've followed the correct procedure, rather than just done a runner!

Or maybe we're all just overthinking and two jurors have just come down with something like covid!

I think if there's no verdict by tomo afternoon then something's seriously in dispute.
I'm not so sure. There are a lot of charges many of which are of a highly technical medical nature. I wouldn't expect them to be decided swiftly. If nothing by end of the week then it would be a bit more concerning.

No! Doing Jury service is a legal requirement.

I guess you could have yourself removed as a juror under medical order - for example if someone became mentally unwell or was physically incapacitated, what choice would there be?

Also, I can't imagine how they keep a person there if they were to say 'seriously eff this I'm off...' so what you gonna do, arrest them and force them to attend against their wishes? At that point they could become very disruptive.

I guess you could have yourself removed as a juror under medical order - for example if someone became mentally unwell or was physically incapacitated, what choice would there be?

Also, I can't imagine how they keep a person there if they were to say 'seriously eff this I'm off...' so what you gonna do, arrest them and force them to attend against their wishes? At that point they could become very disruptive.
I doubt they'd be forced to attend but they'd certainly be charged with something.

That's what I'm wondering. It's been a stressful trial to just follow, let alone being a juror. If they were signed off sick with stress then I guess the judge would make a decision about whether to continue without them. Hopefully if it's something like that they've followed the correct procedure, rather than just done a runner!

Or maybe we're all just overthinking and two jurors have just come down with something like covid!

Or not even that. One eg. too ill to attend and one indisposed for some random other but perfectly valid reason. Life happens.

I'm sure it must be frustrating for the remaining jurors who likely want to crack on and get this thing done and dusted but they'll always be at the mercy of the unexpected member absence.

In any case, I think two weeks would be the minimum period for them to get to grips with the task in hand.

They'd have to be released by the court. They couldn't just decide to not attend.
Yes I know that. What happens if they really are unwell, whether it's physical or mental, could they be forced to continue.

I think I chose the wrong words when I used the word "decide".
I know very well you can't just decide not to attend.

I think we are panicking unnecessarily, they have got this far and ok there has been absences but it’s been a MEGA long trial and bearing in mind there has been 12 of them every day for 9 months and running over winter they have done pretty well.
We are just spooked, I think it’s just a coincidence sadly two are unwell at the same time.

Hangover / come down maybe.

This is the problem with the jury system. I totally believe in the 'tried by a jury of ones peers' - but - I'm more in favour of a different system where juries are made up of people who are wholly willing to do the service and not randomly picked.

Imagine what it would have been like being on this trial if one wasn't really up for it in the first place? I'm very much in favour of reform of the jury system on this basis and the arguments for a different system are compelling.
I don't like the idea of 'professional jurors.' It creeps me out. Too easy to get random, judgemental crazies that sign up for that job. JMO

I don't like the idea of 'professional jurors.' It creeps me out. Too easy to get random, judgemental crazies that sign up for that job. JMO

I think there's a halfway house where it isn't just a bunch of crazies LOL

Having said that, I'm not a fan of the UK Magistrates system for that exact reason - takes a special kind of person to decide they're putting themselves forward to be the judge of people's situations whilst actually not being any kind of a lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo