GUILTY UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, murder of babies, 7 Guilty of murder verdicts; 7 Guilty of attempted murder; 2 Not Guilty of attempted; 6 hung re attempted #31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please could someone with a legal qualification confirm whether, if a juror has reasonable doubt about the defendant’s guilt, they must acquit?
I don't think anyone in the thread has relevant legal qualifications.

This is the wording of a direction which is sometimes given to jurors if they get stuck with their deliberations -

The Watson direction

Each of you has taken an oath to return a true verdict according to the evidence. No one must be false to that oath, but you have a duty not only as individuals but collectively. That is the strength of the jury system. Each of you takes into the jury box with you your individual experience and wisdom. Your task is to pool that experience and wisdom. You do that by giving your views and listening to the views of others. There must necessarily be discussion, argument and give and take within the scope of your oath. That is the way in which agreement is reached. If, unhappily, [10 of] you cannot reach agreement you must say so.”

Essentially they have an individual and a collective duty to not only give their views but discuss/listen to the views of the others. Their idea of 'reasonable' might turn out to be a misunderstanding of the standard they must uphold, it might change after listening to/discussing with the others, and it doesn't mean any alternative scenario which they can think up which isn't the defence case put forward. For instance, a reasonable doubt wouldn't be that she did anything alleged accidentally.

Just checking in! I'm on holiday with limited internet access (not with KC Nick Johnson haha) so figured that might be the time for a verdict. Alas, no! However, I'm away till Saturday so there is still hope for a verdict this week.

Godspeed and wisdom to the jury, and patience for us all!

Maybe there was a lot of conflicting evidence that we don't know about.

Let us not forget, the now eleven have to be convinced BARD, until/ or a guilty verdict is handed down then despite thoughts of any on here, LL is innocent of all charges.
It has been a long 9 months for them, taking in enormous amounts of information on the way. They have notebooks of course and i pads with all the 'slates' on to refer to but it is not any easy task. I totally agree with the above and how all 11 must convinced of BARD. I have attended this case 20+ times, it is hard going for everyone, especially the jury.

If I was on a jury, in an intense murder trial, for 10 months, could I totally stay away from the internet during my time at home?
They don't have to stay away from the internet.

12:33pm

The jury are being advised they are not prohibited from using social media, but they should ignore comments made on there in relation to the trial, and to understand that media reports will be "selective" and focus on only parts of the trial.

Recap: Prosecution opens trial of Lucy Letby accused of Countess of Chester Hospital baby murders

I don't think anyone in the thread has relevant legal qualifications.

This is the wording of a direction which is sometimes given to jurors if they get stuck with their deliberations -

The Watson direction

Each of you has taken an oath to return a true verdict according to the evidence. No one must be false to that oath, but you have a duty not only as individuals but collectively. That is the strength of the jury system. Each of you takes into the jury box with you your individual experience and wisdom. Your task is to pool that experience and wisdom. You do that by giving your views and listening to the views of others. There must necessarily be discussion, argument and give and take within the scope of your oath. That is the way in which agreement is reached. If, unhappily, [10 of] you cannot reach agreement you must say so.”

Essentially they have an individual and a collective duty to not only give their views but discuss/listen to the views of the others. Their idea of 'reasonable' might turn out to be a misunderstanding of the standard they must uphold, it might change after listening to/discussing with the others, and it doesn't mean any alternative scenario which they can think up which isn't the defence case put forward. For instance, a reasonable doubt wouldn't be that she did anything alleged accidentally.
Thanks, @Tortoise, that’s helpful. The fact that ‘reasonable’ is a subjective concept was one of the reasons for my question.

1) If this jury is unable to reach any verdict on all charges, and they do decide to retry the cases, does she just stay imprisoned?

2) If they find her NG of some charges and there is a hung jury on all of the others, do you think they will retry her on the other charges?

We'll get a verdict when we get a new thread. I base my very scientific theory on the 'watched pot never boils' principle, the pot in this instance being this thread. It's too watched.

1692203468045.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members