GUILTY UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, murder of babies, 7 Guilty of murder verdicts; 7 Guilty of attempted murder; 2 Not Guilty of attempted; 6 hung re attempted #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And I have also a feeling

Maybe she chose one of parents' "dream job"?

Did she live her own life?
Or did fulfill somebody else's ambition?

JMO

100% hit the target. IMHO.
My feeling is, choosing neonatal nursing was not a good idea. She might have not yet developed maternal instinct and wasn't attached to babies. Babies can't give anything back, yet, and she was needy. Her BF was older, also indicating her immaturity.

Is there any really good podcast or comprehensive articles about this case? Everything I’ve found is sort of…plodding and repetitive.

"Parents of babies murdered by Lucy Letby tonight demanded a law change to stop 'cowardly' offenders from 'hiding' when they are sentenced.

The killer nurse, 33, is expected to refuse to appear in the dock when the judge imposes her punishment tomorrow."

I fully support this. I think it is important for the victims of crimes to see murderers and perpetrators of other extremely serious crimes hear the victim impact statements and face the Judge to be sentenced. Defendants should not be able to refuse to appear in the dock for their sentencing. It hasn’t been possible for me to follow the trial thread because it has been so harrowing. My heart breaks for all of the babies who died, the bab she tried to kill, their parents and families and the consultants and nursing staff who worked beside her. It is absolutely horrifying what she has done and it is a struggle to comprehend how anyone could be capable of it.

remember that morning when there was a media blackout, no journalists were tweeting anything at all and a few of us wondered if it meant it was a hung jury… I just looked back and that was august 10th. The day the second partial verdicts came in and the day that letby has refused to come into the dock since.
Do you think that’s what the delay was all about ?
Just thinking out loud… I am really wanting to hear from those that attended court when the partial verdicts happened !! So much I want to ask them!
Yeh I was amazed the judge had supposedly put some other case first and left the jury hanging for an hour and a half-it didn't make sense. Then when he came back and said "nothing to worry about" that didn't exactly reassure me...I would think it had to be this instead but I have no inside info so it's JMO.

Is there any really good podcast or comprehensive articles about this case? Everything I’ve found is sort of…plodding and repetitive.
Tortoise’s excellent media thread may have what you want

That thread in itself was a very good way for me to keep up throughout the trial, but if you’d prefer a podcast there are links to podcasts within it iirc.

Has anyone seen exactly which verdicts were taken on what dates anywhere? Thanks

On this issue of sentencing, we should probably stay mindful that there is one miscarriage of justice overturned every week in England and Wales. Obviously I understand why people are outraged in the Letby case, I am too. But if I take a step back, calling in the government to legislate to force people to attend sentencing feels a bit Black Mirror, especially when the system isn’t foolproof.

I’d much rather the government put their resources into the NHS and fixing the root causes of these crimes, than spend their time on knee jerk legislative changes.

On this issue of sentencing, we should probably stay mindful that there is one miscarriage of justice overturned every week in England and Wales. Obviously I understand why people are outraged in the Letby case, I am too. But if I take a step back, calling in the government to legislate to force people to attend sentencing feels a bit Black Mirror, especially when the system isn’t foolproof.

I’d much rather the government put their resources into the NHS and fixing the root causes of these crimes, than spend their time on knee jerk legislative changes.
I suppose that the only time anything will change regarding sentencing is if there is some serious momentum behind it. The parents are fuming and the government are wanting to channel that anger and turn it in to positive changes. I get what you are saying though, let's not deviate away from the crux of the problem.
This case has brought all sorts of issues, whistle blowing processes and detection and interpretation of insulin results being the two big ones. It really does leave me wondering how many other cases of insulin poisoning went undetected in this ongoing case and also, are all hospitals this poorly educated when it comes to detecting insulin poisoning? Is it as uncommon as we thought?

"Romantic attachment" may be making it seem more grand than it is, IMO.
Ha! I don't knw why I phrased it that way. I suppose it's just cause she's so besotted with the anon married doc that I wondered if anything had actually happened with TC or anybody else

No mention of boyfriends in school or university years either. ( Mail link) Unusual.

Know what you mean, but this crime is particularly heinous and all the families have attended court. I don't know how they would feel but I'd be ok with it being live streamed on a screen in her cell.

On the miscarriages detail, we have to remember there are around 1 million convictions a year so circa 52 miscarriages is a drop in the ocean.

I do despair by the way the Court/Prison system bends to the will of perpetrators of serious crime especially here in the UK. If we still had Capital punishment I’m not sure the perpetrator would need to attend their execution if they couldn’t be bothered to turn up!

Genuinely, I get the impression that she is a "normal caring person" in every respect, other than having a proclivity to murder patients in her care.

I can't explain any of why I think that.

She is different to anyone else I have ever encountered or read about.
How could she be 'a normal caring person' if she is crushing the internal organs of newborn babies?

It goes against the definition of 'normal caring person' to even consider a mass murderer of babies as being normal or caring.

But I do understand why you say you can't explain why you think that... ;)

She may SEEM to be different than anyone ever---but that is only because she is so good at wearing that mask which fools others into believing she is sweet and innocent---she is cunning and evil but that part is so well hidden beneath her gentle, kind exterior.

How can someone know she has brutally attacked dozens of tiny babies but yet convince themself that she is a genuine, caring normal person"?

Morning all! Today feels like the end of such a long road, mixed feelings - imagine we all feel the same!

Wasn't sure if the sentencing was at 10 or 2? Hopefully I can get time away from work!

As I understand it the morning will be taken up with victim statements etc., which will be reported on. The estimated time for the live sentencing is 2pm.

Thank you.

I think there's a lot of talk about LL, if guilty, being some kind of unicorn. Like a new, never seen before kind of offender.

I think that's a bit of nonsense, trying to extend the 'nice Lucy, normal Lucy' illusion we've all been dazzled with.

If guilty, then she is a serial offender, and will share traits and motivations with other serial offenders, including drives, desires, and signature behaviours.

You just have to look at the case and her actions from that angle, and you'll see what I mean.

MOO
I agree and was watching something the other day about how rare serial killers are in general. By all accounts there have been 40 serial killers since jack the ripper in the UK.
It's a very small sample size, what can we really know about this sub group of murderer?

I do despair by the way the Court/Prison system bends to the will of perpetrators of serious crime especially here in the UK. If we still had Capital punishment I’m not sure the perpetrator would need to attend their execution if they couldn’t be bothered to turn up!
In the good old days, we used to have public executions, so that the baying mob could turn up to gloat and jeer. That was stopped - I guess it was considered that execution was enough; no spectators required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli