GUILTY UK - Rebecca Watts, 16, Bristol, 19 Feb 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps the police are happy to have a search focussed on an area they are not interested in, and probably a fair distance away from areas they are searching. It keeps people occupied and feeling like they are helping, keeps the media away from the police work, and means the police's work stays out of the public focus. Perhaps they have deliberately directed people in the wrong direction, to keep them away from areas they want to keep clean and secret for now?

That is what I was thinking, until the laptop was found. It may not be Becky's, but what are the odds? Unless it was planted.

Not if you know what you're doing with the right software you can overwrite the deleted data making the data unrecoverable.

If I was going to go to all the trouble of deleting data to the point it was unrecoverable, I probably wouldn't then go and leave the laptop to be discovered.

Is it rather odd to leave a piece of evidence such as a laptop at a park, couldn't have been very well hidden? Especially when it could have been thrown in the nearby river.

The laptop might not be related to Rebecca's disappearance, it could have been offloaded after a previous burglary or something, I'm not going to give it much consideration unless it is confirmed that it belonged to Rebecca.

Not if you know what you're doing with the right software you can overwrite the deleted data making the data unrecoverable.

I thought that wasn't true, I thought the overwritten data had to go somewhere, so overwriting it hides it but the original data is there somewhere and can still be recovered?

That's very, very hard to do. It's not like downloading a program and having it wipe the hard drive.

The laptop might not be related to Rebecca's disappearance, it could have been offloaded after a previous burglary or something, I'm not going to give it much consideration unless it is confirmed that it belonged to Rebecca.

Looking again at the map the park is next to a university campus and a hospital so that does place doubt on who it could belong to.

Huge response to search for missing Becky Watts
SWNS TV

[video=youtube;rm1QtfB0quE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm1QtfB0quE[/video]

Perhaps the police are happy to have a search focussed on an area they are not interested in, and probably a fair distance away from areas they are searching. It keeps people occupied and feeling like they are helping, keeps the media away from the police work, and means the police's work stays out of the public focus. Perhaps they have deliberately directed people in the wrong direction, to keep them away from areas they want to keep clean and secret for now?

I think that's quite likely to be the case. If the LE have intelligence such as CCTV footage of a suspect's vehicle at a certain location elsewhere, then directing the public searches away from that area would be a good way of preventing precious forensic material from potentially being trampled on and permanently contaminated, whilst still satisfying the public's need to be helpful. Jmo.

Well his "shy" sister supposedly got "unshy" and took off by herself, no clothes etc, she never "walked" out of that house in my opinion!

I thought that wasn't true, I thought the overwritten data had to go somewhere, so overwriting it hides it but the original data is there somewhere and can still be recovered?

Once you overwrite it with zeros its gone but you need the right software which is free (CCleaner)

Source: Job Software Engineer

This was the case with Sarah Majoras in NJ a couple of years ago. The public, including me, went trapsing all through the woods and town (in a not so organized way, IMO) while LE only searched four blocks of the canal (not letting the public near the area). We all really thought we were helping but, for me, in hindsight, LE was just keeping all of us busy.

Once you overwrite it with zeros its gone but you need the right software which is free (CCleaner)

Source: Job Software Engineer

Doesn't CCleaner only clear temporary files and clears the cache, I've used it for years. I'm sure there is software out there that can rewrite and clean a hard drive but I still think computer forensics can recover almost anything that isn't badly damaged or corrupted. JMO

I don't know why more of a description of the laptop hasn't been released, unless I missed it. Black iphone, but what kind of laptop? Black PC, PC with pink cover, silver macbook, white macbook..?

I don't know why more of a description of the laptop hasn't been released, unless I missed it. Black iphone, but what kind of laptop? Black PC, PC with pink cover, silver macbook, white macbook..?

You haven't missed it, I don't think we even know if it's an iPhone 4, 5, 6...

I wondered that. When Alice Gross went missing, a picture and description of the phone was released. I remember it well because I followed that case and the phone had a very distinctive phone case. It was cracked and she filled the cracks in with coloured marker pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli