GUILTY UK - Rebecca Watts, 16, Bristol, 19 Feb 2015 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happened in the case I was involved in. His counsel said at sentencing that he hadn't intended death but only serious injury, when the defendant had denied doing it and said it was someone else all through his trial. I can't see why the judge wouldn't leap on it and say - Ha! Has he admitted it now then?!

Because he has been found guilty in a court of law, and so the jury's verdict is considered to be final.

gah, I have to leave work at 2pm to collect my girls from school :/

I feel the same, Skibs. I have literally sat with tears streaming down my face all morning. When I heard all the jurors were crying it just set me off and I can't stop!

It's the most involved I've EVER been (since Megan, and that just wasn't in the same league). I really think I need to take a short break from WS after this.

I've been involved in a lot but I think subconsciously I may lean towards US cases because there is that little bit of a sense of unreality, I'm able to detach a little. This one has been different, no disrespect to other victims. It's also the first trial I have followed so closely here, apart from Jodi Arias, which was almost unreal to me.

It probably doesn't help that I suffer from an anxiety disorder (or 3)

I'm going to have to brace myself for the Kibby trial (AH) I think Bessie, and a few others will know how tough that one may be.

I can't stop thinking of the horror poor Becky must have endured, and her poor family have had to relive it in detail, no matter what the sentences are, nothing will bring Becky back. They have to live without her, live with the loss, live with the horror. When DG said they wanted to die, I get it. I would feel the same. I'd want the earth to just swallow me up.

Im very empathetic, I feel their pain, emotionally and physically. I still couldn't take a break from here though. I'd probably drive myself crazy(ier) if I didn't feel like I was trying to help.

[h=3]Shauna Hoare still hasn't admitted crime[/h]
It would appear from her lawyer’s submissions, Shauna Hoare has still not confessed to her role in Becky’s killing.
Throughout the police investigation, she denied any involvement and maintained her position while on trial.
When told about Nathan Matthews’ confession, she continued lying, saying she ‘felt sick’ by what he had done.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/becky-watts-murder-live-updates-6823671

I wonder if she is already considering her appeal ?

Dream on Shauna if you think there will be a "Free SH" group on F/book. Holloway awaits. :behindbar

I cannot imagine how a man can have no love, or can indeed END the life of the little warm girl he has grown up with. He did not bat an eyelid afterwards. He chopped her up. He is evil, sadistic, unremorseful, took pleasure in what he did, and is forever a danger to even his own family, not just the rest of society.

He cannot be cured.
Not sure why you quoted me?

Apparently JP was in court but medically unfit to be sentenced

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I didn't realise that was the case - in cases where the defendant HAS been innocent and has maintained their innocence throughout, did their barrister have to concede their guilt even when their client is still claiming to be totally innocent?

no he would have to work with his client's instructions - but that situation isn't always beneficial to the client because mitigation doesn't have the same impact.

@Bessie - totally off topic but while you're here and off the top of your head - how many British members are there on Websleuths? Really curious to know!

I've been involved in a lot but I think subconsciously I may lean towards US cases because there is that little bit of a sense of unreality, I'm able to detach a little. This one has been different, no disrespect to other victims. It's also the first trial I have followed so closely here, apart from Jodi Arias, which was almost unreal to me.

It probably doesn't help that I suffer from an anxiety disorder (or 3)

I'm going to have to brace myself for the Kibby trial (AH) I think Bessie, and a few others will know how tough that one may be.

I can't stop thinking of the horror poor Becky must have endured, and her poor family have had to relive it in detail, no matter what the sentences are, nothing will bring Becky back. They have to live without her, live with the loss, live with the horror. When DG said they wanted to die, I get it. I would feel the same. I'd want the earth to just swallow me up.

Im very empathetic, I feel their pain, emotionally and physically. I still couldn't take a break from here though. I'd probably drive myself crazy(ier) if I didn't feel like I was trying to help.

Don't worry - I'll probably only be absent for a matter of hours LOL!

Because he has been found guilty in a court of law, and so the jury's verdict is considered to be final.

not so - a client can still be innocent and wrongly convicted. a barrister does not have to admit your guilt if you are wrongly convicted.

probably sitting there this morning Hating the fact that Becky was getting so much love and attention and wondering if anyone would write that stuff about her.

I imagine SH was not best pleased on the day of Becky's funeral.

Even after death, Becky was getting far more attention than SH

I didn't realise that was the case - in cases where the defendant HAS been innocent and has maintained their innocence throughout, did their barrister have to concede their guilt even when their client is still claiming to be totally innocent?

No he wouldn't have to do that - he would later be arguing against a wrongful conviction. Here though, her barrister is arguing mitigating factors. "innocence" is not a mitigating factor.

Any legal peeps know what could explain this?

Not a legal peep - but my bet is she had a massive pre planned hissy fit and has had to be calmed. I think February sentencing probably fits their family life more - one parent out of jail, one in.

It's hard to know where to stand with those two as we have heard nothing from them. I think they'd have been better pleading not guilty, but I also feel that both should serve at least the same amount of time (preferably longer as they were more complicit) as she 7 months Jamie Ireland did. It would be an injustice if they walked free when he hadn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member