GUILTY UK - Rebecca Watts, 16, Bristol, 19 Feb 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wallace - thank you for explaining this to all your cousins across the pond. So then, after 36 hours they must be charged or released?
The clock starts ticking when they are booked in at the Police Station.

After the first 24 hours a Police Superintendent or higher ranking officer can authorise a further 12 hours.

After that the Police need to go to a Magistrates court to apply for a further extension of up to 36 hours (this is where we are now).

So at present the Police have permission to detain the suspects for a total of 72 hours.

They can go back to the Magistrates court and ask for yet a further extension of up to 24 hours. This would take them up to the maximum allowable detention period of 96 hours.

Not sure what time they were arrested at and taken to the Police Station so don't know where in that 72 hours we are.

If they are charged they will be named.

The Police will not discuss the details, those will be presented as part of the Crown's case against them.

Also once someone is charged with a crime the press cannot discuss or speculate on the details before the trial.
I like these tight rules.

I like these tight rules.

I was thinking the same. Trials here in the US turn in to a circus. Quite shameful, actually.
And I love that it's the "Crown's case" against them. : ) Yes, I am enamored with the Royals. : )

When step mum 'A' left for hospital it was said that other people were in the house, no other adults are on the electoral register at that time, so whoever these other people are it would be safe to assume that they don't live there. Who would you trust in your house when not home? Grown up children maybe? If Step mum had a grown up child and they happened to live opposite Becky's boyfriend (maybe that's how Becky and Luke met)?
Maybe step mum also has another grown up child and a few grandchildren who live in another part of town? Maybe the brother/sister who lives near LO may go there for help if they were in trouble ... that to me would account for all 3 of those properties being so heavily involved. If would also be true that no one in DARRENS family were involved. JMO

When step mum 'A' left for hospital it was said that other people were in the house, no other adults are on the electoral register at that time, so whoever these other people are it would be safe to assume that they don't live there. Who would you trust in your house when not home? Grown up children maybe? If Step mum had a grown up child and they happened to live opposite Becky's boyfriend (maybe that's how Becky and Luke met)?
Maybe step mum also has another grown up child and a few grandchildren who live in another part of town? Maybe the brother/sister who lives near LO may go there for help if they were in trouble ... that to me would account for all 3 of those properties being so heavily involved. If would also be true that no one in DARRENS family were involved. JMO

For me, that would be my children and their long-term girlfriends. I wouldn't even leave a friend of mine in my house if I wasn't there!

My son had a girlfriend he'd been with for a couple of years, and I was happy with her staying in the house if I wasn't there, even if my son was out, as I'd known her for years and she was a lovely girl and like family. I''m also happy with some of my sons' friends who I've known for years in the house if I'm not there - but they know who they can have round, and who I wouldn't invite in!

So yes, adult children/their close friends and that's about it!

Mrazda this is what I thought too! When the Wilton close house was first being searched locals said there was an older lady on a mobility scooter - don't know if step mum A used one or not, but we do know she at least uses a wheelchair.

So, taking into account the statutory time limit on detaining a suspect/arrested person, when by the latest must these two be charged or released?

And, in terms of UK law, is the name of the person who was charged, made public once they are CHARGED, or only after they have appeared in court and PLEADED to the charges?

Thanks

Mrazda this is what I thought too! When the Wilton close house was first being searched locals said there was an older lady on a mobility scooter - don't know if step mum A used one or not, but we do know she at least uses a wheelchair.

Do we know her name before she married Darren last year?

If this is what happened, it would not have been a neighbourly gesture but rather one of opportunity (disguised as a good deed). I don't think Becky would have taken them up on it if she didn't know them, or maybe just the woman came out and she didn't know anyone else was there, so felt more comfortable.

An alternate theory would be that they were known to her, and saw that she was heading for the same place, and offered her a lift.

The fact that out of all of the houses in Bristol, the one that is being searched and the garden dug up, is right opposite her bf's has to have some connection. I guess we will find out soon enough ...

That is my thought, based on what I read last night ( my link to the DM article and stuff I read elsewhere which we are not allowed to link on here )

So, taking into account the statutory time limit on detaining a suspect/arrested person, when by the latest must these two be charged or released?

And, in terms of UK law, is the name of the person who was charged, made public once they are CHARGED, or only after they have appeared in court and PLEADED to the charges?

Thanks

They were arrested sometime on the afternoon of Saturday 28th Feb so the latest they can be held until is the same time on Wednesday 4th March. Another extension of 24 hours may be applied for this afternoon to take it to the maximum of 96 hours. Or they could be released this afternoon when the original 36 hour extension expires which would leave a further 24 hours available for questioning under re-arrest at a later stage if required.

If they are charged they will appear before magistrates within about 24 hours and should be named then if not as soon as charged.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Missin...h-area-Becky/story-26109824-detail/story.html

A NEW police cordon has been put in place around a small park and alleyway next to the Barton Hill home searched in connection with the disappearance of Becky Watts.

Police have arrested a man and a woman on suspicion of murdering the 16-year-old who went missing from her St George home on Thursday, February 19.

Teams are now expected to comb the park between Cotton Mill Lane and March Lane for clues after police tape was put up at about 2am this morning.

[modsnip]

Read more: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Missin...tory-26109824-detail/story.html#ixzz3TJMh33Qt
Follow us: @BristolPost on Twitter | bristolpost on Facebook

BIB is my highlighting not the paper's

From The Bristol Post

A handful of streets have come under the spotlight during the investigation into Becky Watts' disappearance, and for many neighbours it has caused worry.

Having police officers, forensic investigators and the nation's media on their doorsteps – but with little information about what is going on – has concerned many residents.

Margaret Arslan has lived on Wilton Close in Southmead, the scene of one search, for eight years.

She said: "Everyone is quite stressed because we just don't know what to think.

[modsnip]

Read more: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Hunt-B...tory-26107979-detail/story.html#ixzz3TJNQxIaP
Follow us: @BristolPost on Twitter | bristolpost on Facebook

Sp if the car was used as a 'takeaway' delivery vehicle-then maybe someone saw it and the driver-do those vehicles use a temporary lighted sign on top of the vehicle-like pizza delivery drivers here in the US do? Or would the vehicle have a temporary placard magnetized on the door?
Hi Starry a Night, the take-away delivery drivers, particularly for local independent takeaways, are usually independent themselves ie self employed and use their own vehicle. No placards or company names on them.

The Facebook rumour references, don't have one so can't see.

Just an fyi, the police Facebook page is public so you don't need a Facebook account to view it or the comments. Just click the link then click comments on the relevant posts.
I only know this because I wasn't logged into my Facebook account last night and could still view just not comment.

On the Sky website just now: "Police say there has been a "significant development" in the search for missing 16-year-old Becky Watts..."

Jon Kay ‏@jonkay01 · 1 min1 minute ago
Significant development in Becky Watts case. Police statement at 1000. Live on BBC News Channel.

No offence but would a 72 year old man really take much notice of teenage coming and goings and remember one in particular?

Why are their names/identities being withheld? Some sort of protection by LE......in casting a wider net?

I'm wondering if there are further crimes involved with the arrested pair, separate to the kidnapping and suspicion of murder arrest.

Jon Kay ‏@jonkay01 · 1 min1 minute ago
Significant development in Becky Watts case. Police statement at 1000. Live on BBC News Channel.

How long is that from now in terms of UK time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne