GUILTY UK - Rebecca Watts, 16, Bristol, 19 Feb 2015 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a juror in a high court case 2 years ago and the defendant did not take the stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure Vincent Tabak did (Jo Yeates case), and the guy that killed Tia Sharp definitely did. What about Matk Bridger - got a feeling he did not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, Mark Bridger did testify - he claimed that he'd knocked April Jones over and couldn't remember what he's done with her body (LAME!).

I'm pretty sure Vincent Tabak did (Jo Yeates case), and the guy that killed Tia Sharp definitely did. What about Matk Bridger - got a feeling he did not.

Bridger did testify, but there was plenty of dont know and cant remember testimony

Bridger did testify. IIRC he didn't "remember" much at all though

One thing that I'm just finding astounding is how open Shauna was in her interview about her dislike of Becky. Why would she do that knowing what they had done? She obviously has no issues lying about other aspects of the case so why not lie about her feelings towards her?

Maybe she doesn't see hatred towards someone as being problematic. A characteristic of a psychopathic personality is a distain for close relationships.

They don"t "have to" take the stand, it is their choice.

It is very unlikely either of them will, as taking the stand automatically opens them up to cross examination.
Confirmation from the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act, Section 35, "Effect of Accused's Silence at Trial":
(2) Where this subsection applies, the court shall, at the conclusion of the evidence for the prosecution, satisfy itself...that the accused is aware that the stage has been reached at which evidence can be given for the defence and that he can, if he wishes, give evidence and that, if he chooses not to give evidence, or having been sworn, without good cause refuses to answer any question, it will be permissible for the court or jury to draw such inferences as appear proper from his failure to give evidence or his refusal, without good cause, to answer any question.

(3) Where this subsection applies, the court or jury, in determining whether the accused is guilty of the offence charged, may draw such inferences as appear proper from the failure of the accused to give evidence or his refusal, without good cause, to answer any question.

(4) This section does not render the accused compellable to give evidence on his own behalf, and he shall accordingly not be guilty of contempt of court by reason of a failure to do so.

I wonder if the poster who said they had to give evidence was confused by the fact the jury are allowed to draw negative inferences if a defendant chooses not to give evidence.

Confirmation from the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act, Section 35, "Effect of Accused's Silence at Trial":

I wonder if the poster who said they had to give evidence was confused by the fact the jury are allowed to draw negative inferences if a defendant chooses not to give evidence.

:tyou: for taking the time to find this Kaly99

I wonder what would have happened on the Friday that NM had promised them the money, had he not been caught before then?

Obviously it has no bearing on this, but clearly NM didn't have £5,000 to hand to his mates so at that point... at some point surely one of his mates would have got suspicious, or even spoken to the police about the hidden packages in revenge for being let down over the promised money.

Yes, I've wondered that, too.

I find these texts between NM and SH about the 16 yo girl that worked at Law's Kitchen really, really creepy. Looks as though SH sent her a FB message to try and get chatting with her back in November. By January NM is saying he saw her at work and she didn't speak to him.

I wonder if she will be a witness, I suppose the girl could've just ignored them both from the off and have nothing she can say.

Really creepy I think.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/becky-watts-murder-trial-accused-6645166#rlabs=3%20rt$sitewide%20p$4

Edited to add link to Mirror article with details of texts

I've been trying to think of any recent UK cases where the defendant has not testified. That would settle the matter.
ln Lee Rigby's Case Michael Adebowale didn't stand I don't think. I think a lot of Defense Barristers would say that if coherent the Defendant 's best chance is to go in the Witness Box and plea their case, but I am guessing this would only truly work if they were indeed innocent! JMO

I find these texts between NM and SH about the 16 yo girl that worked at Law's Kitchen really, really creepy. Looks as though SH sent her a FB message to try and get chatting with her back in November. By January NM is saying he saw her at work and she didn't speak to him.

I wonder if she will be a witness, I suppose the girl could've just ignored them both from the off and have nothing she can say.

Really creepy I think.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/becky-watts-murder-trial-accused-6645166#rlabs=3%20rt$sitewide%20p$4

Edited to add link to Mirror article with details of texts

Absolutely horrible to read their texts, they are so sinister. The way they speak about it so casually is just so disturbing.

It makes me feel so sad for Becky, having to live her life around people so vile.

I think that girl at the take away had a very lucky escape.

Also,totally random, but I took the opportunity to look up where NM worked on Just Eat and some if the reviews in the months beforehand praise the delivery driver highly..now I know he probably wasn't the only delivery driver employed but still it's kind of freaky how people *may be* saying he's a sound geezer etc and really he's got such a dark side

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I wonder why they can't determine who sent which text messages? Is this because they shared phones? That in itself is quite weird to me.

I've just been wondering that. I would have thought that they would have started by identifying their numbers, and then going straight to the telecoms provider for their logs; rather than rely on the phones themselves. One possibility is that they cycle sim-cards and phones ( something common amongst pay-as-you-go or non-contract users, who might juggle sim-cards to get the benefit of specific deals or tarriffs ). It might be easy to determine which messages were sent from which number, but not which specific device was used to send it.

The other note is the non-text messages, ie. Those sent through apps or through web applications. If there has been some effort to cover their tracks, they may have partially done so. I wold like to understand that better , though. Particularly why they are refering to data extracted from phones, rather from their data and phone provider; which would be more thorough and presumably at lower risk of tampering.

I've just been wondering that. I would have thought that they would have started by identifying their numbers, and then going straight to the telecoms provider for their logs; rather than rely on the phones themselves. One possibility is that they cycle sim-cards and phones ( something common amongst pay-as-you-go or non-contract users, who might juggle sim-cards to get the benefit of specific deals or tarriffs ). It might be easy to determine which messages were sent from which number, but not which specific device was used to send it.

The other note is the non-text messages, ie. Those sent through apps or through web applications. If there has been some effort to cover their tracks, they may have partially done so. I would like to understand that better , though. Particularly why they are refering to data extracted from phones, rather from their data and phone provider; which would be more thorough and presumably at lower risk of tampering.

As I said upthread I genuinely believe that the messages from SH almost always have xoxo at the end, I think the prosecution could prove this pretty easily going by the messages sent & received. To me it's pretty obvious. But of course they can't be sure of this so they can't say for definite. I think your right it is to do with PAYG phones, they really don't need to be registered unlike say a contract.

They are deprived people, stupid deprived people. I'm glad most of their thoughts were fantasy. Of course poor Becky was the unfortunate brunt of their sickness (in my mind they must be sick, they cannot be normal minded people like us) but I am glad they are off the streets. The girl from Laws Kitchen must be so frightened right now, if she of course is following MSM, hopefully she is utterly oblivious.

So I've been reading some of the earlier articles from when Becky was first reported missing (before her body was found) and I noticed something I've not seen mentioned much recently.

In quite a few of the articles (such as this one http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-BLOOD-fears-grow-fell-victim-sex-attack.html) it is claimed that text messages were sent from Becky's phone to her boyfriend Luke to arrange meeting up after she 'left the house' (or as we now know, was murdered)?!

Is this accurate or is this something that was later amended as a mistake? Because if true then it must mean that either Nathan or Shauna were messaging Luke in order to lead people to believe she was still alive and lend credence to the idea that she had simply run away / left?

I can hear my neighbour when he uses a handsaw no way would she not hear a circular electric one!

I had to laugh, but so true.

Hopefully, as much as the truth will be revealed soon. Imo, not only was SH awake, she was assisting NM, whatever duties he ordered her to do, she would do them lovingly for her man. That part makes me sick even writing it, but she's one sick *****. :sigh:

Absolutely horrible to read their texts, they are so sinister. The way they speak about it so casually is just so disturbing.

It makes me feel so sad for Becky, having to live her life around people so vile.

What makes my skin crawl are these texts etc. are only a fraction of what their conversation was like when physically together. It would be so shocking for even the most harden individual to hear!
Their child would have been exposed to this, and as she grew older and understood??!!!!!!

So I've been reading some of the earlier articles from when Becky was first reported missing (before her body was found) and I noticed something I've not seen mentioned much recently.

In quite a few of the articles (such as this one http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-BLOOD-fears-grow-fell-victim-sex-attack.html) it is claimed that text messages were sent from Becky's phone to her boyfriend Luke to arrange meeting up after she 'left the house' (or as we now know, was murdered)?!

Is this accurate or is this something that was later amended as a mistake? Because if true then it must mean that either Nathan or Shauna were messaging Luke in order to lead people to believe she was still alive and lend credence to the idea that she had simply run away / left?

I hope this will come to light shortly.

Also, I don't believe that NM had £5,000 to pay KD. I wonder how he'd raise that amount of money in a couple of days?! Rob a bank? Visit a loan shark? If NM couldn't repay, he ends up at the bottom of the river with cement shoes! (I wish!!)

They can't differentiate which one was writing which texts because contrary to what many thought when first hearing about this case, there is no dominant or submissive in this couple.
These were two cohorts, partners. It wasn't much different than we'd have seen if the two suspects were male partners in crime.

It would be nice if while they were visiting the crime scene, they had the jury stand in the bedroom while they ran the exact brand of saw NM bought in the bathroom.
I would think even in that hell hole you'd smell a corpse that was a few days old even if you couldn't see it.

I am not a forensic scientist by any means, just a hair stylist/makeup artist. I can say that makeup that is transferred to a mask, inside rim of a hat, a collar etc is much different than
when makeup is spilled or transferred just by being in the same bag. I also get the impression we will be hearing about more in depth DNA analysis in the future. I would think the masks
would have saliva droplets and skin cells on them. Shouldn't be too tough to figure it all out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay