UK UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London - Clapham Common area, 3 March 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this poor man probably feels terrible about not making sure she got home, even just from the some of the comments on here about him is an indication of the backlash he is probably expecting to receive publicly about this matter.

The person who answered the door could have been a flatmate or sister who is probably also devastated by this situation.

I don't feel this has anything to do with her private life, I believe this is a stranger attack. I hope her boyfriend doesn't blame himself for this. Would be a terrible guilt to carry.

MOO

Hang on. I’m not speculating or insinuating anything. I’m asking questions, as anyone looking into the case would.

I also don’t condone or agree with the methods that some ‘journalists’ use to create their story. But we’re not here to discuss the ethics of that IMO.

Sad fact of cases like these are it’s statistically more likely to be to be a person known the victim. The police will be acting to rule out these people as well as looking at other lines of enquiry.

We are all here to help Sarah and her family.

In January 2021 there were 44 crimes involving violence and sexual offences just within a half mile of Poynders Road alone.

Local Crime Information for Poynders Road, Lambeth, London, SW4 8PN - January 2021

Thanks for that valuable link.
All 44 of those cases are listed as either being 'under investigation' or 'investigation complete - no suspect identified'.

ETA On further inspection this goes for all the categories of crime listed. There seems to be no 'investigation complete - suspect identified' category.

I think this poor man probably feels terrible about not making sure she got home, even just from the some of the comments on here about him is an indication of the backlash he is probably expecting to receive publicly about this matter.

The person who answered the door could have been a flatmate or sister who is probably also devastated by this situation.

I don't feel this has anything to do with her private life, I believe this is a stranger attack. I hope her boyfriend doesn't blame himself for this. Would be a terrible guilt to carry.

MOO

There have been many cases where the boyfriend or partner has been wrongfully accused and backlash from the media that's one of the reason we have probably not heard from him in the media if he was her last call on her phone then he can not be in 2 places at the same time but I guess when there is so little to go on you have to consider possibilities

Last edited:
In January 2021 there were 44 crimes involving violence and sexual offences just within a half mile of Poynders Road alone.

Local Crime Information for Poynders Road, Lambeth, London, SW4 8PN - January 2021

"Detectives investigating the disappearance of Sarah Everard had been told of assaults on lone women in the area, it has been claimed."
Attacks reported on streets where Sarah Everard last seen | The Times

It's possible that an attacker could have escalated their offences, as seen so many times before.
JMO

Last edited:
I hate this unknown. I know this area so well, despite never living there i have had a lot of close friends and family in this area going back years and years. OK, London is pretty aggro to be fair and it's only getting worse. Too many weirdos one tick away from exploding. What do we do? Ok, I suppose we have to keep perspective and remember it is still VERY RARE.

But hang on a minute === disappearing after walking confidently home in a reasonably ok neighbourhood on a frickin' Wednesday evening at 9pm? What is this, "24" with Jack Bauer? I can't get my head around how someone could abduct her without her screaming the place down or fighting back and them running off.

Unless it was well orchestrated. Which means I'm also living in a nightmare hell hole of a place which is full of sub-human beings who are capable (in groups most likely) of driving around in vans looking for people to bash over the head. I'm sorry but F that.

People deserve to live without fear of this going on on their doorstep.

I joined last night after promising myself i'd be more positive about my future, now we are slowly coming out of lockdown. I won't stop until we get some more concrete news.

I can't help thinking there is a clue. But hey, I'm sure you guys who are veterans on here have seen plenty of these.

This has shaken me to my core. A beautiful intelligent woman in the prime of her life who deserves the best in life and not to be the subject of any of this. I know a lot of people are hinting that there is little hope left but I am really hoping this is all just a convoluted missing person issue and she'll be ok. Keeping all things crossed.

uhuh, that was a /rant

I hate this unknown. I know this area so well, despite never living there i have had a lot of close friends and family in this area going back years and years. OK, London is pretty aggro to be fair and it's only getting worse. Too many weirdos one tick away from exploding. What do we do? Ok, I suppose we have to keep perspective and remember it is still VERY RARE.

But hang on a minute === disappearing after walking confidently home in a reasonably ok neighbourhood on a frickin' Wednesday evening at 9pm? What is this, "24" with Jack Bauer? I can't get my head around how someone could abduct her without her screaming the place down or fighting back and them running off.

Unless it was well orchestrated. Which means I'm also living in a nightmare hell hole of a place which is full of sub-human beings who are capable (in groups most likely) of driving around in vans looking for people to bash over the head. I'm sorry but F that.

I joined last night after promising myself i'd be more positive about my future, now we are slowly coming out of lockdown. I won't stop until we get some more concrete news.

I can't help thinking there is a clue. But hey, I'm sure you guys who are veterans on here have seen plenty of these.

This has shaken me to my core. A beautiful intelligent woman in the prime of her life who deserves the best in life and not to be the subject of any of this. I know a lot of people are hinting that there is little hope left but I am really hoping this is all just a convoluted missing person issue and she'll be ok. Keeping all things crossed.

uhuh, that was a /rant

absolutely right it not right that things like this happen makes you question humanity at times
it's horrible and I hope she is found alive & safe as soon as possible this time last week we did not even know who this young woman was but for the last 5 days been constantly on our minds and thoughts

uhuh, that was a /rant
I think it was a well-deserved rant, twinpinesmall. So many people have been affected and upset by what has happened, and we are also all suffering from lockdown fatigue which makes us think about certain things a lot more. Personally I am grateful we are able to share our thoughts with each other on a forum like this, especially during these strange times.

uhuh, that was a /rant

Share these sentiments, I followed WS looking at the American missing persons cases, I made an account to contribute here, as a Londoner. The only time I've felt this uneasy was when poor Alice Gross went missing around 7 years ago and I simply can't fathom how Sarah has managed to disappear without a trace, that is, unless LE are conducting their investigations from outside of public involvement.

Hi, I’m new to the forum. I used to live very close to the last confirmed sighting and it’s brought back so many memories that I just can’t get Sarah’s case out of my head until there’s some proper news. I don’t want to offend anyone but I found it a really tricky area to live in – I was assaulted once and threatened on the street more times than I can recall. It was the only place I ever had any trouble despite 30-odd years living all over south and east London and being out and about late at night a lot (I work unsocial hours). Anyway, I just had some thoughts to add about things that have come up a lot.

Regarding the calling/texting to say she was safely home, I get why so many people think this would have been the normal or at least sensible thing to do, but I also think many independent women would feel it was a slightly oppressive expectation. I personally would feel a bit smothered and infantilised if friends or boyfriends expected it. I might do it as a one-off, but as a habit I would be concerned it would be the thin end of a wedge that ended up leaving me too anxious to do anything independently ever again. In a new relationship I would frankly find it controlling. Just a different perspective.

There’s also been a lot of speculation about what might have been the most sensible or logical routes for Sarah to take, wondering what side of the road she might be on, why she might cross the road etc. It reminded me that when I lived round there, and especially after I had had so much hassle, I started to mix things up a fair bit. Round the Common in particular is a busy old place, there’s a lot of coming and going day and night, not all of it innocent. I used to use Clapham Common tube a lot but what I did after I emerged depended on what was happening when I got there. Sometimes I took the 137 bus to Kings Avenue, sometimes a minicab home and sometimes I walked, using about three different routes. What I did on any given night depended on who was around and how they looked, whether anyone had approached me, or sometimes just an instinct I couldn’t put my finger on. All of this is to say, what route Sarah took and why may not be amenable to logic. She knew the area and was streetwise. She may have started out using a logical route and then something set her spidey senses tingling and she changed tack. imo it’s that kind of area – stuff is constantly happening and you have to be ready to adapt your plan. Maybe that’s why she seemed to have set a route up Poynders Road but then suddenly isn’t there anymore.

Finally, I just wanted to reiterate what was said upthread about bringing the police’s attention directly to anything you think you’ve spotted on CCTV or similar and not assuming they’ve already seen it for themselves. There was a high profile missing person case in my local area a couple of years ago and the local community really worked together in putting together volunteer search teams, mass viewing of footage etc and it was really invaluable as the police were so stretched in terms of manpower and resources that they just hadn’t been able to move as quickly as volunteers with time on their hands. So if you think you’ve got something worthwhile to point out, please do it, as it could be the thing that makes the difference.

JMO.

Hi, I’m new to the forum. I used to live very close to the last confirmed sighting and it’s brought back so many memories that I just can’t get Sarah’s case out of my head until there’s some proper news. I don’t want to offend anyone but I found it a really tricky area to live in – I was assaulted once and threatened on the street more times than I can recall. It was the only place I ever had any trouble despite 30-odd years living all over south and east London and being out and about late at night a lot (I work unsocial hours). Anyway, I just had some thoughts to add about things that have come up a lot.

Regarding the calling/texting to say she was safely home, I get why so many people think this would have been the normal or at least sensible thing to do, but I also think many independent women would feel it was a slightly oppressive expectation. I personally would feel a bit smothered and infantilised if friends or boyfriends expected it. I might do it as a one-off, but as a habit I would be concerned it would be the thin end of a wedge that ended up leaving me too anxious to do anything independently ever again. In a new relationship I would frankly find it controlling. Just a different perspective.

There’s also been a lot of speculation about what might have been the most sensible or logical routes for Sarah to take, wondering what side of the road she might be on, why she might cross the road etc. It reminded me that when I lived round there, and especially after I had had so much hassle, I started to mix things up a fair bit. Round the Common in particular is a busy old place, there’s a lot of coming and going day and night, not all of it innocent. I used to use Clapham Common tube a lot but what I did after I emerged depended on what was happening when I got there. Sometimes I took the 137 bus to Kings Avenue, sometimes a minicab home and sometimes I walked, using about three different routes. What I did on any given night depended on who was around and how they looked, whether anyone had approached me, or sometimes just an instinct I couldn’t put my finger on. All of this is to say, what route Sarah took and why may not be amenable to logic. She knew the area and was streetwise. She may have started out using a logical route and then something set her spidey senses tingling and she changed tack. imo it’s that kind of area – stuff is constantly happening and you have to be ready to adapt your plan. Maybe that’s why she seemed to have set a route up Poynders Road but then suddenly isn’t there anymore.

Finally, I just wanted to reiterate what was said upthread about bringing the police’s attention directly to anything you think you’ve spotted on CCTV or similar and not assuming they’ve already seen it for themselves. There was a high profile missing person case in my local area a couple of years ago and the local community really worked together in putting together volunteer search teams, mass viewing of footage etc and it was really invaluable as the police were so stretched in terms of manpower and resources that they just hadn’t been able to move as quickly as volunteers with time on their hands. So if you think you’ve got something worthwhile to point out, please do it, as it could be the thing that makes the difference.

JMO.
Lots of pertinent points, but re the last one, I was involved closely with a missing person case that was solved (not to the good, sadly) by residents and local business owners who came together and worked out the person's route by piecing together their CCTV footage. This was achieved in hours rather than the days it would have taken police to work out who to contact and work through all the footage. So I would definitely second your encouragement of people taking their own initiative as many here are doing.

her hat was found? was anything else found?
I'm trying to catch up but these threads are moving so fast

JMO.

Good post. I live in another city on another continent and have very similar behavior while walking alone in my own mixed / transitioning neighborhood.

One of the most interesting things about this thread is the significant differences in people’s expectations of a “welfare text”. I am surprised at the number of (kind) posters who would always expect a “home safe” text from a friend, and who would follow up if they didn’t receive it. My experience is much more like JuicyLucy’s - I often find it a bit odd when people ask me to alert them of my return home. I realize their kind intentions but also... what about the 80% of instances when I leave home to do errands / shop / walk / exercise / etc without someone to “check in with”.

If I were leaving a close friends’ place with a 50 minute walk home, I’d say perhaps half of my friends would ask that I text when I arrive safely. And I would probably remember to do so only 2/3 of the time. As is so clear in all these threads: people’s habits vary and its hard to read much into them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1