Found Deceased UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London - Clapham Common area, 3 March 2021 *Arrests* #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hire car is not the smartest idea but I potentially understand where he was coming from.

Perhaps, not tied to him directly ( We don't know the details of the hire car, could be a fake ID or his wife's name)

But more importantly, it will be covered in other people's DNA. It does make it harder for the prosecution to make a case when there will be 100's if no thousands of peoples DNA in that car. They need to convict beyond a reasonable doubt. I think he is looking to create doubt.

It seems to me like a stupid person's idea of a smart move

PS I think it was planned, but he didn't anticipate the public reaction and thus was panicking a stressed after the 5th and acting irrational.

Interesting thought that the bus cams might have been pointing in different directions. I’d assumed that anything outside the bus would be a dashcam and so have similar line of sight to the driver.

But if eg doorway cams could have picked up activity outside at a 90 angle that raises the possibility of cams seeing things that wasn’t obvious to anyone driving along the road.

I’ve kept thinking it seemed unlikely to me that Sarah could have been forcibly snatched on a busy main road without it being noticed at the time (ie if it were seen on dashcam, why did no driver spot it?). But a buscam pointing in a different direction raises different possibilities.

The main thing that sways me to thinking that there may be signs of Sarah being forcibly taken is the degree of certainty the LE seemed to have in the initial arrest - it was immediately an arrest for kidnapping - compare this to the Libby Squires case where the initial arrest (which I think was off the back of cctv footage of Libby getting in a car) was described as ‘helping police with enquiries’. What made the police in Sarah’s case so much more certain this was kidnap?

As an example of bus camera angles - this was the from Sun about an attack in London with bus cam footage.
Moment sex attacker beat 2 women on bus after sexually assaulting them

It perhaps wasn’t the first time the accused had rented a vehicle. Another sleuther (so sorry, I can’t recall who) pointed towards his LinkedIn page where he was seemingly complaining about the service at an electric vehicle rental company in London last year.

If the car was pulled slightly off the road with hazards flashing and doors open it may well give more of a sense of a police emergency is occuring to a passer by such as SE ...it may make me go towards the car if asked more so than a "routine" check by a lone officer in a white car

As an example of bus camera angles - this was the from Sun about an attack in London with bus cam footage.
Moment sex attacker beat 2 women on bus after sexually assaulting them

This is absolutely fascinating to me as I just assumed a car camera sitting on the dash board following the road ahead.

I didn’t realise buses could record so much of the pavement as it went along and the images are pretty clear as well. I don’t drive myself so I have little knowledge.

Last edited:
IIRC, in order to detain him in custody, an arguable case has to be disclosed on the information and supporting affidavits. These are not the whole case against him (at this point). The defence can contest this - or seek bail which would then lead to an early discussion of the strength of the evidence against him (at this stage)

But I don't think counsel would read out everything that is there.

As is the case here, the defence is not contesting so it seems more like a formality.

Did some rudimentary checking on this and I believe the indictment will have been accompanied by sufficient witness statements / exhibits to justify the charges.

Bail was clearly opposed by the Crown and not contested.

We don't know if a plea was entered or requested?

That might happen at a later hearing

Did some rudimentary checking on this and I believe the indictment will have been accompanied by sufficient witness statements / exhibits to justify the charges.

I wouldn't read to much into them not opposing bail. The odds of someone with a murder charge being let out on bail is next to 0.

Plea wouldn't have happened yet.

Police officers are continuing to search along Delf stream and The Rope Walk with metre-long wooden sticks.

Officers are also searching a trolley shelter at a Co-op supermarket.“

Sarah Everard killing: Police search Sandwich town centre

The trolley shelter
9B1M1W.jpg

Google Maps

I'm also wondering about the psychological effect on a suspect if their spouse is also held or arrested because of your actions. That alone might be sufficient to cause a suspect to cooperate or confess to protect an innocent family. MOO

RSBM

Thank you. This is a very interesting angle I had not considered. I can imagine this tactic might be very helpful in the initial questioning of a suspect.

Also appreciate the brief education on UK vs US burdens of evidence for arrest. Easy for us yanks to interpret incorrectly given the probable cause burden is quite different

I wouldn't read to much into them not opposing bail. The odds of someone with a murder charge being let out on bail is next to 0.

It was the Magistrates Court, they cannot try murder so it immediately goes to the Crown Court, hence there was no plea and no application for bail because the Magistrates Court cannot do either when the charge is murder.
This has been covered on many other posts.
Tomorrow's appearance at Crown Court (which we know has been sent to The Central Criminal Court aka The Old Bailey) will also not be a plea hearing it will be a case management appearance to set the date of trial etc.

Refer my earlier post:

Sarah Everard: What will happen at Wayne Couzens' next court appearance

Why did he appear at a magistrates’ court?
Suspects charged with a serious crime, namely an indictable-only offence, cannot be tried by magistrates. The inevitable question has been asked, therefore, why Couzens appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Friday.

All criminal cases begin at magistrates’ court regardless of the seriousness of the crime. This first appearance at a court is known as a preliminary hearing.

What will happen at the Old Bailey?
Couzens is listed to appear at the Central Criminal Court, known as the Old Bailey, on Tuesday.

A defendant whose case is sent to a Crown Court will be asked to plead guilty or not guilty to each charge on their indictment.

It is often the case, though, that a defendant is not arraigned at their first Crown Court appearance. In this instance, a future date will be set for a plea and trial preparation hearing (PTPH).

What will happen at Wayne Couzens' next court appearance in Sarah Everard case

My meaning was that the Crown must have presented a sufficiently strong case in Court that he can be held in custody - we don't know the detail of it, beyond the hire car and CCTV

Given what we know about phone pings from Sarah’s last reported location, I’m wondering if some of the sites they’re searching could also have been triangulated from the Accused’s own phone history. I imagine any visits to areas of woodland or water during that time period would look suspect. But then that doesn’t really explain the sudden urgency to examine this latest site this evening, as presumably they’ve had this data for some time now.
If a phone is powered off there is no way of tracking it. Surely wouldn't be turned on? The accused would know this.
Also - if the iPhone OS sent this information to the cloud server - that would be another data connection to the tower.

I am guessing there were no more data connections after the termination of the final call.

Not sure about current tech, but at least until lately, my phone doesn't receive data when I am on a call - so i was wondering if there would have been a data connection immediately after the call ended, and then nothing afterwards
If you are on a call your phone will still give out location data running in the background this has been the same with the iPhone for the last 10+ years. The only way you could stop this is by powering the phone down.

Refer my earlier post:

Sarah Everard: What will happen at Wayne Couzens' next court appearance

Why did he appear at a magistrates’ court?
Suspects charged with a serious crime, namely an indictable-only offence, cannot be tried by magistrates. The inevitable question has been asked, therefore, why Couzens appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Friday.

All criminal cases begin at magistrates’ court regardless of the seriousness of the crime. This first appearance at a court is known as a preliminary hearing.

What will happen at the Old Bailey?
Couzens is listed to appear at the Central Criminal Court, known as the Old Bailey, on Tuesday.

A defendant whose case is sent to a Crown Court will be asked to plead guilty or not guilty to each charge on their indictment.

It is often the case, though, that a defendant is not arraigned at their first Crown Court appearance. In this instance, a future date will be set for a plea and trial preparation hearing (PTPH).

What will happen at Wayne Couzens' next court appearance in Sarah Everard case

Thanks

So it seems the arraignment might be some time away

It perhaps wasn’t the first time the accused had rented a vehicle. Another sleuther (so sorry, I can’t recall who) pointed towards his LinkedIn page where he was seemingly complaining about the service at an electric vehicle rental company in London last year.
The accused was talking about the delivery (or non-delivery) of an electric scooter on his LinkedIn page. I can post links if necessary / permitted...

Just a thought about the hire car: Could the accused have hired a ZIP car rather than got it from a traditional car hire place? I don't know the ins and outs of ZIP car but I think once you have an account you don't need to provide any details whenever you hire a car. I guess you could even use someone else's account if they're stupid enough to share their details with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz