Unedited Police Interrogation Videos of Jodi

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
*Updated*

A longer version of JAM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VwUeA9Gf2M

At 04:20, Det Fl tells her there's lot of evidence and her mom's Ohhh is painful and sad.

--
Tawndilly did a mash up of all the programs that featured the interview so there's repeated sections. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1B68wSBfOw

Her dad is very open and trying to help. Her mom I'm not so sure about. She's more in denial but I still wonder if she knows more than she's letting on about JA going away.

The conversations. I didn't repeat them for the mash up and I have merged a few bits.

--
Det Fl: How you doing? You doing okay?
JAM: Not good. No
Det Fl: I guess as could as good be expected I guess huh
JAM: I want to puke
Det Fl: You going to be okay?
JAM: Yeah I'm going to be okay. How could someone that you say did this come back and just be so normal?
Det Fl: I don't know
JAM: And Jodi has mental problems
JAM: JA has mental problems. JA would freak out all the time. I had quite a few of her friends call me and tell me that I needed to get her some help. In fact had one call me in the middle of the night and tell me that she needed some help. JA would call me. We don't have a good relationship me and JA. She would call me in the morning all happy and call me an hour or two later in tears crying or sobbing about something she didn't want to talk about and that happened constantly. She was a totally different person. And her friends saw it too. I had one friend even call me in the middle of the night. He even called a hotline for bipolar people and said that JA is bipolar and she needs help that's why we talked her into coming back up here so we could get her some help and she could be around family

--
Det Fl: Was she talking about leaving town?
JAM: She talked about not staying here. But she didn't come out and say I'm leaving tomorrow. I went over and talked to her last night for a little while coz I couldn't sleep. And I calld her and I said are you still awake I said or can you or can I come over because she used to come over late at night and visit with the kids and be on the computer.

And just this last couple of week she has, since Travis's death um she has been the best relationship we've had in our whole life. And I've said maybe this death has made her see that life is short and you have to, you know you can't be this way and it's changing her so so you know the last few weeks have been I mean I didn't spend a lot of time with her but I talked to her more than I have ever talked to her since when she left the house at 18.

She told me she didn't want to stay here long and she was gonna leave. She did tell me that was going to go down to umm Monterey for a few days but she didn't tell me when. She was going to go down and visit some friends and stop and see my step daughter in Hollister

Det Fl: What was the urgency for her to leave like soon?
JAM: I don't know. I don't know. I did not know she was leaving today.
Det Fl: Your husband mentioned something about her like not going to work and quitting her job
JAM: She didn't quit her job
Det Fl: And because like a police offer called her work for some reason
JAM: She told me that someone called her yesterday and wanted to question her about the break in at my mom and dad's house. She did tell me that. And she said why don't you want to talk to my grandma and grandpa coz it's their house. She did tell me that but no mention of anything else. I mean I don't know if that scared her. I don't know. I know she bought a gun which they probably already found the gun.
Det Fl: Yeah. She has registered it and everything so there's no problems with the gun
JAM: She was scared when Travis died. She said Mom I was at his house all the time. She cleaned his house all the time. And spent all that time there In fact Travis was supposed to come up here and they were going to go over to the Oregon coast and
Det Fl: When did she tell you that?
JAM: Um um after he died. No it was before he died she told me he was coming up. In fact it was last last weekend I think and she said this is the weekend that Travis was supposed to come up and we were going to do things. We were going to go to Crater Lake and they had a book 1000 things to see before you die and and her and Travis were doing a lot of those things together. They went to the Grand Canyon. They went all these places together.
JAM: I didn't know she was leaving today. She told me she was going to go down and visit but I don't know. Maybe that phone call scared her. Maybe she did do it. I don't know but I just can not even imagine her doing it.
Det Fl: I can't either
JAM: JA's a very intelligent person
Det Fl: She is
JAM: Go look the books she brought to our house. I mean she's got all these books that I would not even think about reading you know and she's smart and how could someone...
Det Fl: I understand she's extremely intelligent and the more I've talked to her over the last month and a half I know she's intelligent
JAM: You know in fact she gave us a hard time because I never went to college and she kept telling me mom you need to read, you need to do this, you need to better your life. I don't know. I just can't even imagine. My god. I can't. I just can't even think about it.
Det Fl: Unfortunately the evidence we have is completely convincing to me. We have everything from her fingerprints at the scene of the crime
JAM: Well I know she's her fingerprints are there
Det Fl: Her DNA. Her uh things like her hair. You know things like that are there
JAM: Well you know she spent time with him though so does that prove that she killed him? She cleaned his house.
Det Fl: The evidence we have is more than just that. I mean you don't leave a fingerprint in blood.
JAM: Oh.
Det Fl: Okay
JAM: Why would she do something like that?
JAM: Did she just snap or what? I don't know. And how could she come back here, and be normal and when her friends call her and told her that he died she totally freaked out like she knew nothing about it. I mean how could someone do that. How? I can't even. I can't I can't think of how anybody could do that
Det Fl: And that's why I wanted her explanation but she absolutely refused to tell me the truth

--

JAM: She would just totally flip out on me and I had one of her friends call me in the middle of the night call us one night and say you need to get Jodi some help
Det Fl: What do you mean she would flip out on you?
JAM: Just like call me one minute happy and the next minute in tears. Like she was a total different person
Det Fl: Feel like you wanted to help her but but she wouldn't let you help her kind of stuff
JAM: And yeah she wouldnt' ever tell me what she was crying about but it was like a total I mean like something would snap and she would always send me in tears and call me back and God you know
Det Fl: Was she on any kind of medication at all?
JAM: No .Do they do a psychiatric evaluation when they do things like this?
Det Fl: I'm sure they will. It doesn't come up in every case but in her situation it's something that will probably happen
JAM: And her friend called me one day and said he had called some hotline to ask them questions about what she was doing and they said sounds like she really needs some help but she wouldn't do anything. I mean I didn't really bring it up to her but I thought if I got her up here where we could take care of her that things would be okay

--

JAM: JA had a lot of a lot of plans for her future. How could she mess it up and do something that you said she did?
Det Fl: Did you have any suspicion at all that she had anything to do with his death?
JAM: I asked her. I ask her because that's the first thing I ask her. And when she came home and she was fine. And then when he died, she didn't call me even she called my daughter and was just totally in tears. She cried for 2,3,4,5 days . And um that's the first thing I asked her. I said did you go to Arizona and she said no and I had gas receipts at everything to prove it And that's all she would say. She swore she did not go to Arizona so course I believed her you know but I questioned her about it
Det Fl: But you had enough suspicion to ask her
JAM: Well yeah course because someone dies and...
Det Fl: What did she tell you about the relationship between her and Travis? Any indications there were any problems?
JAM: Nothing JA did not talk to me. In fact I did not even see a picture of Travis until he died and she was showing me stuff on the Internet. Umm he's a motivational speaker and umm some of his speaking things that he did, and pictures that when they went on trips together and that she took of him
Det Fl: Is that unusual for her with someone that she likes and is seeing?
JAM: No no.
Det Fl: She was a very private person
JAM: She would not even let me come down to Monterey to visit her and stay at her house because she was afraid I'd snoop through her stuff and that's the kind of relationship that we had.
Det Fl: Just lots of trust issues
JAM: And I told her one day, I said you need some help JA. You've got this fantasy in your head that you had a rotten childhood and that we searched your room all the time and we did all this stuff and we didn't. And you need some help. And the only time we searched her room was when she was in 8th grade and we were living in Santa Maria and we were getting ready to move and I couldn't find my tupperware containers. She had them on the roof and she was growing pot with her friends and so we called the police and turned her in and wanted something done you know to scare her and whatever. And that's the one time ever in my whole life I've searched my kids rooms and I don't search my kids rooms now but made I better start doing I guess uh. I don't know

--

Det Fl: Any suspicions at all she might have been involved in Travis's death?
JAD: Um ah. I would put it this way because like it was two days after that she heard about it because she was quite normal til then. And then she heard about it over the phone. She was hysterical. Because I talked to my inlaws and they said she's been crying all day. And I said what about. So I go over there and she was just hysterical. That was several days after his death. I guess someone had found him. I don't know how many days he'd been there.
Det Fl: 5 days
JAD: 5 days. Yeah because that was the weekend and when I know she when yeah when she had a job at uh Burger ?? and she didn't want to go work because her face was all flushed up
Det Fl: She doesn't like to go out without her make up on
JAD: Yeah. Well she went to work
Det Fl: Well um the evidence we have is pretty damning at this point. I mean we have so much. I've never had this much evidence in a case before. And I truly believe she was involved in it. I wasn't sure she did it herself or if she had help with somebody but she would not tell me. She just refused. And she's continuing to say that. And she's completely cold about it.

--
JAD: So I called her and asked her what's going on. And she goes Travis was murdered.
Det Fl: And what did you think?
JAD: I didn't think much. I just wanted to know what she did. All she could tell me was later on she was going to leave the area and I go why and she goes I can't tell you. And she came over one day and I was on dialysis and she sat down and we my wife and I talked to her for three hours while I was on it trying to get an answer to the questionAnd she said I can't tell you what's going on but all I know is that I gotta leave. And I go way and she goes because I might be blamed for something and I go what and she goes I can't tell you.

--

JAD: You know she's a strange person. Because sometimes you know after she left the house she was kinda strange. She was really friendly sometimes she'l call and real sweet and ten minutes later she'll call in a real rage you know and just screaming at my wife and she did that for gee for the last year and a half. She was doing that a lot.
Det Fl: Any idea why?
JAD: No I don't. The only thing I could tell you is that uh probably financial problems because she was going to file bankruptcy but she didn't have the money to, she lost her house, she broke up with her boyfriend prior to uh Travis. And uh I'd never seen a picture of Travis she never, she showed my other kids but she's never showed us anything
Det Fl: We have a lot of evidence at the house that points towards her as being the person who commited the murder. The only thing I don't have is why. Why she commited this?
JAD: I know man she was getting along with him so good.
Det Fl: Do you know if your inlaws had a gun, a 25 auto?
JAD: Do you know, my now that was 22 auto I think. Someone broke into my inlaws house and they stole the gun.
Det Fl: Yeah that report says it was a 25 auto?
JAD: Oh it was. Oh
Det Fl: And the reason I'm asking is because a 25 auto was used in this crime
---
JAD: I got an inclination I go because oh man I don't think because was just acting so normal
Det Fl: What did you think?
JAD: I didn't think much. I just wanted to know what she did

---

JAD: She just got a gun
Det Fl: What kind of gun was it?
JAD: I don't know
Det Fl: It was a recent one though
JAD: Yeah she just got it
Det Fl: Oh you know what she mentioned that. It was a glock or something
JAD: I don't know. She just told me she got a gun asked her. I asked her what you need a gun for and she was going where I'm going I need one. And I goes well where you going I can't tell you. I just want to feel safe where I'm going

--
JAM: That's JA. When she went down to Monterey I didn't even know she left until she called me from Monterey and she said Mom I'm in Monterey.

--

JAD: She treated my wife like crap
Det Fl: I mean verbally abusive on the phone. We could never ask her anything about her personal life. And ever she since she left the house she would never tell us. She was just so secretive like that
--

JAD: We told her we wanted to come visit her and she goes where are you going to stay. She didn't want us to stay in her house because she was afraid we going to snoop through her stuff. And I go hey what
Det Fl: That is kind of strange
JAD: That's just the way she's been isn't it? When she was in Palm Desert after that man, that's when everything, I don't know what, it's been a couple of years there but since then she's been a little crazy for a year. It's been longer than that now I think about it

--

JAM: I don't know where she would got a gun if she had one. I mean I don't know. JA's very secretive. JA doesn't she just that's the way she is. So what happens if she is found guilty?
Det Fl: Well then she'll be sentenced for how ever long they decide
JAM: For the rest of her life probably
Det Fl: I don't know. It's not up to me. I don't know. It depends on a lot of factors. She has to be found guilty first
JAM: Yeah

--

JAD: One day she called me crying hysterically when she decided to moved to Mesa Arizona and she snuck up in his house and she looked in the window and she saw Travis on the couch with another woman and here they are, she was planning on marrying this guy so she just left but then she just stayed there for I don't know how many months

*Updated*

A longer version of JAM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VwUeA9Gf2M

At 04:20, Det Fl tells her there's lot of evidence and her mom's Ohhh is painful and sad.

--
Tawndilly did a mash up of all the programs that featured the interview so there's repeated sections. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1B68wSBfOw

Her dad is very open and trying to help. Her mom I'm not so sure about.

The conversations. I didn't repeat them for the mash up and I have merged a few bits.

--
JAM: Yeah I'm going to be okay. How could someone that you say did this come back and just be so normal?
JAM: JA has mental problems. JA would freak out all the time. I had quite a few of her friends call me and tell me that I needed to get her some help. In fact had one call me in the middle of the night and tell me that she needed some help. JA would call me. We don't have a good relationship me and JA. She would call me in the morning all happy and call me an hour or two later in tears crying or sobbing about something she didn't want to talk about and that happened constantly. She was a totally different person. And her friends saw it too. I had one friend even call me in the middle of the night. He even called a hotline for bipolar people and said that JA is bipolar and she needs help that's why we talked her into coming back up here so we could get her some help and she could be around family

--
JAM: She talked about not staying here. But she didn't come out and say I'm leaving tomorrow. I went over and talked to her last night for a little while coz I couldn't sleep. And I calld her and I said are you still awake I said or can you or can I come over because she used to come over late at night and visit with the kids and be on the computer.

And just this last couple of week she has, since Travis's death um she has been the best relationship we've had in our whole life. And I've said maybe this death has made her see that life is short and you have to, you know you can't be this way and it's changing her so so you know the last few weeks have been I mean I didn't spend a lot of time with her but I talked to her more than I have ever talked to her since when she left the house at 18.

She told me she didn't want to stay here long and she was gonna leave. She did tell me that was going to go down to umm Monterey for a few days but she didn't tell me when. She was going to go down and visit some friends and stop and see my step daughter in Hollister

Det Fl: Your husband mentioned something about her like not going to work and quitting her job
Det Fl: And because like a police offer called her work for some reason
JAM: She told me that someone called her yesterday and wanted to question her about the break in at my mom and dad's house. She did tell me that. And she said why don't you want to talk to my grandma and grandpa cozt's their house coz it's their house. She did tell me that but no mention of anything else. I mean I don't know if that scared her. I don't know. I know she bought a gun which they probably already found the gun.
Det Fl: Yeah. She has registered it and everything so there's no problems with the gun
JAM: She was scared when Travis died. She said Mom I was at his house all the time. She cleaned his house all the time. And spent all that time there In fact Travis was supposed to come up here and they were going to go over to the Oregon coast and
JAM: Um um after he died. No it was before he died she told me he was coming up. In fact it was last last weekend I think and she said this is the weekend that Travis was supposed to come up and we were going to do things. We were going to go to Crater Lake and they had a book 1000 things to see before you die and and her and Travis were doing a lot of those things together. They went to the Grand Canyon. They went all these places together.
JAM: I didn't know she was leaving today. She told me she was going to go down and visit but I don't know. Maybe that phone call scared her. Maybe she did do it. I don't know but I just can not even imagine her doing it.
JAM: Go look the books she brought to our house. I mean she's got all these books that I would not even think about reading you know and she's smart and how could someone...
Det Fl: I understand she's extremely intelligent and the more I've talked to her over the last month and a half I know she's intelligent
JAM: You know in fact she gave us a hard time because I never went to college and she kept telling me mom you need to read, you need to do this, you need to better your life. I don't know. I just can't even imagine. My god. I can't. I just can't even think about it.
Det Fl: Unfortunately the evidence we have is completely convincing to me. We have everything from her fingerprints at the scene of the crime
Det Fl: Her DNA. Her uh things like her hair. You know things like that are there
JAM: Well you know she spent time with him though so does that prove that she killed him? She cleaned his house.
Det Fl: The evidence we have is more than just that. I mean you don't leave a fingerprint in blood.
JAM: Did she just snap or what? I don't know. And how could she come back here, and be normal and when her friends call her and told her that he died she totally freaked out like she knew nothing about it. I mean how could someone do that. How? I can't even. I can't I can't think of how anybody could do that
Det Fl: And that's why I wanted her explanation but she absolutely refused to tell me the truth

--

JAM: She would just totally flip out on me and I had one of her friends call me in the middle of the night call us one night and say you need to get Jodi some help
JAM: Just like call me one minute happy and the next minute in tears. Like she was a total different person
Det Fl: Feel like you wanted to help her but but she wouldn't let you help her kind of stuff
JAM: And yeah she wouldnt' ever tell me what she was crying about but it was like a total I mean like something would snap and she would always send me in tears and call me back and God you know
Det Fl: I'm sure they will. It doesn't come up in every case but in her situation it's something that will probably happen
JAM: And her friend called me one day and said he had called some hotline to ask them questions about what she was doing and they said sounds like she really needs some help but she wouldn't do anything. I mean I didn't really bring it up to her but I thought if I got her up here where we could take care of her that things would be okay

--

JAM: JA had a lot of a lot of plans for her future. How could she mess it up and do something that you said she did?
Det Fl: Did you have any suspicion at all that she had anything to do with his death?
JAM: I asked her. I ask her because that's the first thing I ask her. And when she came home and she was fine. And then when he died, she didn't call me even she called my daughter and was just totally in tears. She cried for 2,3,4,5 days . And um that's the first thing I asked her. I said did you go to Arizona and she said no and I had gas receipts at everything to prove it And that's all she would say. She swore she did not go to Arizona so course I believed her you know but I questioned her about it
Det Fl: What did she tell you about the relationship between her and Travis? Any indications there were any problems?
JAM: Nothing JA did not talk to me. In fact I did not even see a picture of Travis until he died and she was showing me stuff on the Internet. Umm he's a motivational speaker and umm some of his speaking things that he did, and pictures that when they went on trips together and that she took of him
JAM: She would not even let me come down to Monterey to visit her and stay at her house because she was afraid I'd snoop through her stuff and that's the kind of relationship that we had.
JAM: And I told her one day, I said you need some help JA. You've got this fantasy in your head that you had a rotten childhood and that we searched your room all the time and we did all this stuff and we didn't. And you need some help. And the only time we searched her room was when she was in 8th grade and we were living in Santa Maria and we were getting ready to move and I couldn't find my tupperware containers. She had them on the roof and she was growing pot with her friends and so we called the police and turned her in and wanted something done you know to scare her and whatever. And that's the one time ever in my whole life I've searched my kids rooms and I don't search my kids rooms now but made I better start doing I guess uh. I don't know

--

JAD: Um ah. I would put it this way because like it was two days after that she heard about it because she was quite normal til then. And then she heard about it over the phone. She was hysterical. Because I talked to my inlaws and they said she's been crying all day. And I said what about. So I go over there and she was just hysterical. That was several days after his death. I guess someone had found him. I don't know how many days he'd been there.
JAD: 5 days. Yeah because that was the weekend and when I know she when yeah when she had a job at uh Burger ?? and she didn't want to go work because her face was all flushed up
Det Fl: Well um the evidence we have is pretty damning at this point. I mean we have so much. I've never had this much evidence in a case before. And I truly believe she was involved in it. I wasn't sure she did it herself or if she had help with somebody but she would not tell me. She just refused. And she's continuing to say that. And she's completely cold about it.

--
JAD: So I called her and asked her what's going on. And she goes Travis was murdered.
JAD: I didn't think much. I just wanted to know what she did. All she could tell me was later on she was going to leave the area and I go why and she goes I can't tell you. And she came over one day and I was on dialysis and she sat down and we my wife and I talked to her for three hours while I was on it trying to get an answer to the questionAnd she said I can't tell you what's going on but all I know is that I gotta leave. And I go way and she goes because I might be blamed for something and I go what and she goes I can't tell you.

--

JAD: You know she's a strange person. Because sometimes you know after she left the house she was kinda strange. She was really friendly sometimes she'l call and real sweet and ten minutes later she'll call in a real rage you know and just screaming at my wife and she did that for gee for the last year and a half. She was doing that a lot.
Det Fl: Any idea why?
JAD: No I don't. The only thing I could tell you is that uh probably financial problems because she was going to file bankruptcy but she didn't have the money to, she lost her house, she broke up with her boyfriend prior to uh Travis. And uh I'd never seen a picture of Travis she never, she showed my other kids but she's never showed us anything
Det Fl: We have a lot of evidence at the house that points towards her as being the person who commited the murder. The only thing I don't have is why. Why she commited this?
JAD: I know man she was getting along with him so good.
JAD: Do you know, my now that was 22 auto I think. Someone broke into my inlaws house and they stole the gun.
---
JAD: I got an inclination I go because oh man I don't think because was just acting so normal
Det Fl: What did you think?
JAD: I didn't think much. I just wanted to know what she did

---

JAD: I don't know. She just told me she got a gun asked her. I asked her what you need a gun for and she was going where I'm going I need one. And I goes well where you going I can't tell you. I just want to feel safe where I'm going

--
JAM: That's JA. When she went down to Monterey I didn't even know she left until she called me from Monterey and she said Mom I'm in Monterey.

--

Det Fl: I mean verbally abusive on the phone. We could never ask her anything about her personal life. And ever she since she left the house she would never tell us. She was just so secretive like that
--

JAD: We told her we wanted to come visit her and she goes where are you going to stay. She didn't want us to stay in her house because she was afraid we going to snoop through her stuff. And I go hey what
JAD: That's just the way she's been isn't it? When she was in Palm Desert after that man, that's when everything, I don't know what, it's been a couple of years there but since then she's been a little crazy for a year. It's been longer than that now I think about it

--

JAM: I don't know where she would got a gun if she had one. I mean I don't know. JA's very secretive. JA doesn't she just that's the way she is. So what happens if she is found guilty?
Det Fl: I don't know. It's not up to me. I don't know. It depends on a lot of factors. She has to be found guilty first

--

JAD: One day she called me crying hysterically when she decided to moved to Mesa Arizona and she snuck up in his house and she looked in the window and she saw Travis on the couch with another woman and here they are, she was planning on marrying this guy so she just left but then she just stayed there for I don't know how many months

Mods, please feel free to remove this post, as I don't want to break the TOS, but I searched my son's room daily and the only things I found were condoms. When I told him in later years? He thanked me for bring a caring parent. My rule was, You live under my roof, you live by my rules. Thankfully he has adopted this rule himself...

I agree she says the word "still", but the second word definitely starts with a B, IMO. Like, "still beat me" I think it sounds more like "beat", as in WIN. Like he is still winning, even though he is dead. Just like he won, succeeded or beat her in everything else in her life. Faith, relationships, work, smarts, etc. Then she calls him a "brat" for it. MOO, of course...

But it sounds like a hard B. Any other ideas as to what it could be?

http://youtu.be/u5lGJ72SQBM?t=32m2s

I just listened, and to me it sounds like she said "still beatin' me?...brat". Definitely sounds like a hard b. jmo

*Updated*

A longer version of JAD - Thanks Pip! http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_phoenix_metro/central_phoenix/jodi-arias-trial-update-arias-parents-interrogation-tapes-released

*Updated*

JAM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VwUeA9Gf2M

--

Her dad is very open and trying to help. Her mom I'm not so sure about. She's more in denial but I still wonder if she knows more than she's letting on about JA going away.

--

--
JAM: She was she talked about not staying here. But she didn't come out and say I'm leaving tomorrow. I went over and talked to her last night for a little while coz I couldn't sleep. And I calld her and I said are you still awake I said or can you or can I come over because she used to come over late at night and visit with the kids and be on the computer.

And just this last couple of weeks she has, since Travis's death um she has been the best relationship we've had in our whole life. And I've said maybe this death has made her see that life is short and you have to, you know you can't be this way and it's changing her so so you know the last few weeks have been I mean I didn't spend a lot of time with her but I talked to her more than I have ever talked to her since when she left the house at 18.

Det Fl: And because like a police offer or something called her work for some reason
JAM: She told me that someone called her yesterday and wanted to question her about the break in at my mom and dad's house. She did tell me that. And she said why don't you want to talk to my grandma and grandpa coz it's their house. She did tell me that but no mention of anything else. I mean I don't know if that scared her. I don't know. I know she bought a gun which they probably already found the gun.
Det Fl: Yeah. She has registered it and everything so there's nothing wrong with the gun
JAM: Um um after he died. No it was before he died she told me he was coming up. In fact it was last last weekend I think and she said this is the weekend that Travis was supposed to come up and we were going to do things. We were going to go to Crater Lake and they had a book 1000 things to see before you die and and her and Travis were doing a lot of those things together. They went to the Grand Canyon and they went all these places together.
I didn't know she was leaving today. She told me she was going to go down and visit but I don't know. Maybe that phone call scared her. Maybe she did do it. I don't know but I just can not even imagine her doing it.

--

--

--

--

--
JAD: I don't know much.
Det Fl: What happened?
JAD: Well what I can tell you is what I know is that her boyfriend I guess it was they were. She talked to my daughter, my other daughter Angela about getting married and uh then they broke up but then uh they became good friends because we talked to her on the phone occasionally. She was really sporadic sometimes she was real nice. My wife could talk to her more than I did because me and her didn't get really along good but she was my daughter so you know so financially I helped her out whenever I could
Det Fl: She mentioned that
JAD: But know she's a strange person because after she left the house she was kinda a little strange. She was really friendly sometimes she'll call and real sweet and ten minutes later she'll come and call in a rage you know and just screaming at my wife and she did that for gee for the last year and a half. She was doing that a lot.
Det Fl: Any idea why? What she was going through?
JAD: No. The only thing I could tell you is that uh probably financial problems because she was going to file bankruptcy but she didn't have the money to because she lost her house, she broke up with her other boyfriend prior to uh Travis. And uh I've never seen a picture of Travis she never, she showed my other kids but she's never showed us anything.
Det Fl: I know you probably want some details but her ex boyfriend Travis Alexander was killed in June, June 4th and it was during the time when JA was travelling from here to Salt Lake City. And she did, we did track her route and we believe she did go to Mesa. We have a lot of evidence at the house that points towards her as being the person who commited the murder. The only thing I don't have is why. Why she commited this?
JAD: I know man she was getting along with him so good. Because he was even offering her a car and she, the uhaul rooted because they didn't take it out of gear because she didn't know what she was doing, he hooked it up for her
Det Fl: Yeah the BMW?
JAD: And she told me. I asked her how she was going to pay him but she goes Travis and I can just pay them in you know in payments but she said they were going to go through PrePaid Legal because she was doing something and she said they were going to sue Uhaul for not telling them.
Det Fl: Not telling her right?
JAD: Yeah That's as far as I know. That's all I know. I don't talk to her much. But she did uh. I just can't believe that she could did this. She told me she was going to go to Utah. She told me her route. She was going to go down to see some friends in Big Sur Monterey and then she was going to LA to the convention and then she was going to go right up to Utah. And I says

And then after this happened you know I just kind of got an inclination I go wow man I don't think so because she was just acting so normal and when she heard about the news, it was either a Friday or Saturday or whenever when he was killed. Was he killed on a Thursday or something?
Det Fl: He was found on a Monday, Monday the 9th late at night
JAD: Okay Because I know there was that weekend she balled her eyes out. She was already back. And you know everything was (something normal?) the other night she she came over to the house once and you nothing big a deal and she went home and that day I called her and she couldn't even talk and I go what's going on. And she goes Travis was murdered.
JAD: I didn't think much. I just thought what the hell you know I wanted to know what she did. All she could tell me was is you know later on she kept telling me she was going to leave, leave the area and I go why and she goes coz why.

And she came over one day and I was on dialyis, I just got on dialysis and she sat down with my wife and we talked to her for three hours while I was on it trying to get a question. And she said I can't tell you what's going on but all I know is that I gotta leave. And I go why and she goes because I might be blamed for something and I go what and she goes I can't tell you. She goes I just won't tell you. She refused to tell us, she never told us.
Even this morning when I picked up her at the house to go to Hertz, I says okay your final chance I says. She says she was going to be back in three days she told us, at least she told me that. And I said are you going to tell me or what? I want to know. And she goes I can't tell you. She says I don't want to get you involved in anything so I'm not telling you nothing so I just goes oh well.

And then I thought she told me that she quit her job yesterday because the police called. And then I said well what are you running away for if you are not guilty? And she goes because I don't want to be involved a part of it, a part of anything or something like that. And I got
Det Fl: Where was she doing? Did she tell you where?
JAD: I have no idea. She just told us that she was leaving She would see us some other time but it was going to be a while. But then today she told me was going to be back in three days because she left a lot of her stuff at Grandma's house.
Det Fl: Well I talked to her for over an hour and a half and I left with more questions than I had answers for and I still don't know why. She just refuses to tell me why.
JAD: She won't talk to us either
Det Fl: She won't talk to me. I've been talking to her since the day after Travis was found. I talked to her on the phone and she called me three times that week and a couple of times the following week. Every week she calls me. And I just sense that there's something there and from day one even before we found our first piece of evidence linking her to it I knew there was something there.
JAD: Well you know well well well, the first time, she doesn't trust us because we are her parents and when she was in 8th grade she got busted for marijuana with her tupperware putting it on top of the roof and we found it and called the sheriff's department. And they busted her and then round up some of her friends or something. And we searched her room. That was the first time we had ever searched her room and after that she was so, she was kind of like something turned in her head that we were nosy parents and we were going to search everything she had and she hid everything from us and always has since then.
Det Fl: Wow
JAD: Never. She's never been honest with us since then. And she was only 14 then coz she's never been honest with us ever since then.
And when she had the house in Palm Desert it was. She would we told her we wanted to come visit her and she goes where are you going to stay. She didn't want us to stay in her house because she was afraid we going to snoop through her stuff. And I go hey what
JAD: That's just the way she's been isn't it? When she was in Palm Desert after that man, that's when everything, I don't know what, it's been a couple of years there but since then she's been a little crazy for a year. It's been longer than that now I think about it that she moved to Palm Desert and coz you know she started to use her credit card to make her $3000 a month payments because she lost her job or something and she got financially in debt.
Det Fl: That's not good. She hasn't been in a good situation in a while then uh
JAD: No. It's been bad
Det Fl: This Travis guy helped her out quite a bit
JAD: As far as I know. I do know though one day she called me crying hysterically when she decided to moved to Mesa Arizona and she snuck up in his house and she looked in the window and she saw him on the couch with another woman and here they are, she was planning on marrying this guy so she just left but then she just stayed there for I don't know how many months

--

--
---

--

--

Second day of interrogation, July 16, 2008. From “Jodi Arias Unedited Police Interrogation Videos” posted to YouTube by David Lohr. Jodi wears orange jail scrubs.

Disclaimer: I transcribed these as notes; they are not verbatim. Please do not get hung up on wording as it may not be accurate. Not everything was transcribed; not all questions or discussions are shown here. Please watch videos for accuracy. (G&AMom)

Video 11

Blaney returns.

Blaney: Detective Flores has the binders with the photos. He’s not here right now but I put a call in to try and bring him back here. Would you rather talk to him? If you would, that’s fine, it’s up to you.

Jodi: I don’t have a preference, I guess.

Blane: You don’t have unlimited time. We need to get you back over across the street. The time is now whether you are going to talk to me or not. I don’t know what is going on in your head, whether you are interested in saving your skin.

Jodi: I’m not interested in saving my own skin. I am interested in getting his family closure and maybe some closure for myself. I got a flat tire on the way to his funeral (can’t hear). If anyone deserves closure, it’s Travis’ family, not me. That is why I want to see the pictures.

Blaney: You already know what it looks like. You know what happened.

Jodi: Maybe it will help me to process it.

Blaney: You can at least talk about the good things that happened that day and what your intentions were (when you went there). You can talk about the events that led up to the incident. If you are not going to do that right now with me, then I am just going to send you back across the street. I guess my patience is wearing thin.

Jodi: I have a letter to write now. (can’t hear) Everything is just jumbled.

Blaney: Do you not trust what I am going to do with this information when I get it?

Jodi: I don’t know. It is not that I distrust you or think you are untrustworthy.

Blaney: If you give me a message for Travis’ family I promise I will relay it to them. But I can’t do it without any information. For once, think about somebody else. The turmoil that family is going through. Everybody wants to know why. If you want to talk to Detective Flores you can do that.

Jodi: I kind of do what to talk to him because he has been in contact with Travis’ family a lot.

Blaney: I am sure that he has some kind of relationship with them.

Jodi: I am not trying to stall but I need to go to the bathroom again.

9 min 50 sec. Jodi and Blaney leave room.

11 min 26 sec. Jodi returns to room alone.

12 min 06 sec. Flores enters room.

Flores: I just got off the phone with Travis’ sister, Samantha.

Jodi: What did she say?

Flores: She has a million and one questions, more questions than she had before, and I don’t have anything to give her. Partly because I can’t give her some information, and partly because I don’t have some information. Are you doing okay?

Jodi: It doesn’t matter how I’m doing.

Flores: It matters to me.

Jodi: Thank you. (crying) But it doesn’t matter.

Flores: I wish that you could be honest with me.

Jodi: What matters is how his family is doing. Of course it matters how my family is doing. Just because I am the bad guy doesn’t mean that they have anything to with anything or that they were in any way responsible. I don’t know his family at all except for his grandmother.

Flores: Rachel (Blaney) said something about you wanting to see some photos but I don’t think I can show you any more.

Jodi: Why not?

Flores: I don’t like doing that because something might happen to you. It’s not something I do.

Jodi: The reason why I ask is because I just feel it might help me piece some things together. This is selfish of me, but it might give me a sense of closure. I know it’s morbid. I wasn’t able to go to his funeral.

Flores: What is it you want to know about the photos? Do you want to see the room? Do you want to see the bathroom? Do you want to see him? Is it the photos before it happened?

Jodi: I think it’s the photos after everything.

Flores: I won’t show you those, not in good conscience. I can’t do that.

Jodi: Are there any that you can?

Flores: No. I can’t do that. If you want, I can describe stuff for you. Those photos will never leave my head. I am sure they will never leave yours either. At the time he was found, the images you saw were different than the ones I saw. Things change over time. His body changes after time. We had a difficult time identifying who he was by the time we got there. It wasn’t the same person. So that’s why I don’t want to show you photos.

Jodi: What about photos without him in it?

Flores: I don’t have them with me, but as soon as I get a hold of them – another detective has them. What can you tell me about that day?

Jodi: (whispers) Everything is kind of blurry.

Flores: Was he expecting you to show up that day?

Jodi: He wanted me to come. I told him no.

Flores: Why did you decide to go?

Jodi: I didn’t really, I was going to Utah.

Flores: I talk to the family every day. I told them (that you had been arrested) and they just can’t believe it. I talked to his brother, Steven. I left a message for Samantha. I talked to Gary, and I was planning on talking to his aunt in the Midwest. Steven said he would talk to his grandmother. She is so upset she hasn’t been able to call me yet. Is there something you want me to tell them?

Jodi: The things that keep coming to my mind wouldn’t help them at all, wouldn’t comfort them. There are just not words.

Flores: I will let you decide what to say and I will relay it.

Jodi: Detective Blaney doesn’t like me asking questions, but I am just concerned about people. I had a wedding last Friday and those photos are only on my camera and my external drive.

Flores: It will be awhile before we get those back.

Jodi: They should get to the right person because they are the only thing they have of their wedding.

Flores: I will make sure they get to the right people. I understand that you are worried about other people but they aren’t thinking of those things right now. They are thinking about you.

Jodi: Did you also take my journals? All three of them?

Flores: Yes, all of them. I would like to return them to you some day.

Jodi: I wouldn’t mind if you gave them to my mom. Normally I would not want her to see them, but under the circumstances – she is not going to get any more.

Flores: You are still with us. You aren’t going anywhere.

Jodi: I’m going somewhere.

Flores: Not anytime soon. You will still be able to talk to your family and visit them.

Jodi: Do you know about my cash so I can put cash on my books? So that I can get a few things that I need?

Flores: Any cash that was there is yours. Any cash in your purse is yours. I don’t think they took any cash you had in your safe. They just documented it and left it. I understand it is important to you. You want to make sure that everything is set and your family won’t worry.

Jodi: I know I will only be able to visit my family behind glass.

Flores: No, it will be different in Arizona.

Jodi: They won’t come to Arizona to see me. When I moved away they didn’t come to see me for ten years.

Flores: From what I understand, some of that was because of you.

Jodi: I had a house with a free (?) bedroom and a pool and everything you want, and they didn’t come to visit me once. I know this is all stupid and irrelevant. They won’t come to Arizona, they shouldn’t have to come to Arizona. So there are certain things that I won’t do any more.

Flores: Your sister and brother will come visit. Your mom will come visit you. They are the most worried about you.

Jodi: I went to the hospital yesterday because he (her dad?) was having a panic attack. I guess there are times when they just can’t get his heart rate down. I haven’t been the cause of that before but yesterday I had everything to do with it. I am so sorry for Travis’ family.

Flores: They are asking for answers. What do you want me to tell them? I will tell them anything that you want me to. You won’t fill that void, but at least it will be a start. What is it you want to say?

Jodi: One thing you could say, two nights ago, it took me 5 and a half hours, I posted a 45 minute video on You Tube of him doing a training in San Bernadino. If you type in Travis Alexander space dash space System’s Training, it should come up. His friend, Chris Hughes, does a 6 and a half minute introduction to it and then Travis gets up and gives a 30 minute training. He talks a lot about the introduction to his book. He talks about his grandfather, Dick.

Flores: He loves his grandparents. He loves his family.

Jodi: I know he is in a better place, I know it doesn’t make it any better here, but . . . .

Flores: I think he is waiting for you to give relief to other people who are still with us. It’s the last piece of the puzzle. It’s completely up to you, Jodi. I have details on how things happened but the biggest question everybody asks is why.

Second day of interrogation, July 16, 2008. From “Jodi Arias Unedited Police Interrogation Videos” posted to YouTube by David Lohr. Jodi wears orange jail scrubs.

Disclaimer: I transcribed these as notes; they are not verbatim. Please do not get hung up on wording as it may not be accurate. Not everything was transcribed; not all questions or discussions are shown here. Please watch videos for accuracy. (G&AMom)

Video 12

Flores: Do you want to talk about what happened that day? I have the images in my head and I can explain about whatever I saw when I went there. What I can’t do is show you pictures. What time did you get there that day? The first pictures that I have of you there are at about 1:45 or so. Was it soon before that or had you been there awhile already? I know his roommates were at work. They just rent rooms and don’t really socialize. Except the new roommate.

Jodi: Who was that? Zach was there. I think I saw Enrique at the memorial services. I knew Dustin and John Hepworth (former roommates).

Flores: They are asking, too. Zach is going through so much: (asking himself) how could we have not known he was there for days? He calls me three or four times a week. He was the one who went in the room and found him.

Jodi: He was the one? I heard so many rumors about how that happened.

Flores: Other friends came over and were looking for him. They went in the room. They will never be the same. It is difficult when it is somebody you know and love. I see it all the time so it doesn’t bother me as much.

Jodi: You must become detached.

Flores: You know the people I do become attached to? The people I am talking to. To you. You are the one I am going to remember. We have talked so much since that day.

Jodi: I didn’t mean to hurt anybody (can’t hear).

Flores: There is not much you can do for anybody except give them an explanation. It is not my job to have an opinion about you, your personality and your character. It is my job to present information to the court. Do you want to open up about what happened that day?

Jodi: I do but I don’t think I am ready. There is so much to say.

Flores: You need to give some details so that I know you are not just trying to cop out. I have details that nobody else knows but the person who was there. I use this information to confirm what I suspect. Just give me some details and if you want we can continue at another time. We don’t have to go over all the details.

Jodi crying, buries her head in her arms.

Flores: Why did you go there that day? Why did you go up that morning? Were you going to try and convince him not to go to Mexico? Were you going to try and convince him to go on a trip with you?

Jodi: No, he would never not go to Mexico. I would never not want him to go. He was going to Chichen Itza, it’s in the book 1000 Places. It’s important to our history.

Flores: That’s where my people come from. Why were you there that day? Did you just miss him? Did he call you, did he miss you? What was it? The only other explanation I can think of is that you went there for one purpose, to hurt him. If you want me to call and tell his family that you apologize for what happened then I can do that. This is your time right now. I flew up here for a lot of different reasons. The main one was to sit down with you here and talk to you about what happened. The time is limited.

Jodi: There are so many things I want to say.

Flores: Start at the beginning. Was there a last minute change to come down into Arizona? It is only an additional 300 miles from where you were. Jodi, time is running out, I am not going to be able to talk to you anymore. Once you are in the system I won’t be able to talk to you anymore. You leave so many questions unanswered. You were there that day, weren’t you? Were you guys alone?

Jodi: There is so much that I . . . .

Flores: Should I be looking for someone else? Was there anybody else with you? Are you protecting somebody else?

Jodi: I am sorry I am just . . . . I don’t know what to do . . . . trying to figure (whispers, can’t hear).

Flores: You had Rachel (Blaney) call me for a reason.

Jodi: I had her call you because I thought you communicated with his family more regularly. I just don’t know what to say. They deserve to have some peace.

Flores: The number one question they are asking is, was somebody else with you. The only evidence I can give them is that I don’t have any evidence to show someone else was there. I don’t know for sure. You don’t have to say a name, just yes or no. Yes or no, Jodi? Look at me, please. They want to know. Was somebody there?

Jodi: I am just trying to think. What would happen to me today and from here on out if I just told you every single detail that I know and I give you a confession?

Flores: Nothing else changes, it just speeds up the process.

Jodi: In what way? Getting to Arizona faster?

Flores: Yes.

Jodi: So if I maintain my innocence then I stay here longer?

Flores: No, it just speeds up the process in Arizona, like the trial. Do you want to put your family through a trial?

Jodi: Does there have to be a trial or can it be done without a trial?

Flores: It is something that you can discuss with the prosecutor. I am on the phone with him every day, giving him updates.

Jodi: What is his name?

Flores: His name is Juan Martinez. He is the number one prosecutor in Phoenix, at least in my book.

Jodi: I wonder if I should just get a lawyer first.

Flores: That is completely up to you.

Jodi: I know you can’t stay here forever and that you need to get back. If I get one, will you still be willing to talk to me afterwards or does everything stop?

Flores: I will tell you what a lawyer is going to tell you to do. No more contact, you had your chance to talk to her.

Jodi: Well, I just would want his advice and that doesn’t mean that I am going to take his advice.

Flores: I can’t advise you either way, but what I can advise you is the truth, the details of the case, will allow me to verify the information that I have to make sure that I am looking at the right person and that nobody else was there with you. There is no doubt in my mind what happened that day. A couple of details I don’t have. How it started and why it started. Let’s at least start. If there is a question you don’t want to answer you can say so.

Jody: Can I just hold on a second?

Long pause.

Flores: Do you want to move forward or not?

Jodi: I do, I do, I am not trying to stall or waste time.

Flores: I know this is difficult for you.

Long, long pause.

Jodi: It is kind of blurry. It is all really blurry.

Flores: What went through your mind after it happened? What did you think when you were driving away?

Jodi: Scared.

Flores: I can’t imagine what you were going through waiting for it to finally come out.

Jodi: Waiting for what to come out?

Flores: The news that he was no longer with us. Every day that went by, what were you thinking?

Jodi: I was scared.

Flores: You just went on with your day like nothing happened?

Jodi: I had to.

Flores: Did you tell anybody what happened? That must be hard (to have no one to tell).

Jodi: Can I please see those photos?

Flores: As soon as they get back. The detectives went to Redding to check on the rental car you had that day and they took the photos.

Jodi: Oh. There is probably something in the rental car. I was thinking they would check things like the steering wheel, things that have been touched.

Flores: Was that what was going through you mind when you left? Things you touched? What did I leave behind?

Jodi: No. Just say I didn’t want to run. A little bit of (can’t hear) but it was mostly just fear.

Flores: Were you worried that his roommates were going to come home soon? Did you even think about them? That is the first thing I was thinking about – when she left here she just barely missed his roommates. Or maybe they were there and just didn’t hear her.

Jodi: Did they hear anybody?

Flores. No. They saw things that were unusual.

Jodi: Like what?

Flores: They saw his watch and CTR ring on the counter and they thought that was odd. He would never leave town without those.

Jodi: No, he always leaves those there unless he leaves then he puts them on.

Flores: There were clues here and there but they just went on with their lives without asking questions. They knew he was going on a trip. But all those little things they are talking about now – that is what Zach is killing himself for now. Why didn’t I just go check on him?

Jodi: Travis didn’t always bond with his roommates. He did with Aaron even though he had an intolerance with his lifestyle. He bonded with his friend Josh who lives back in California now.

Flores: He wasn’t too close with Zach and Enrique.

Jodi: No, or his previous roommates.

Video 13

Flores: What time did you leave there that day?

Jodi: Uhhhhhh . . . .

Flores: You don’t remember? Just trying to drive and get as much distance as you could?

Jodi: Ummmm . . . .

Flores: How long were you in the house after it happened? I know you tried to clean yourself up and clean up what you could. We found blood in the downstairs bathroom where somebody had tried to wash their hands. There is blood on the outside of the washing machine. There are little things that give us clues to what you were doing. Do you remember those things?

Jodi: No.

Flores: You remember some. What was your intention going there that day? What was the purpose of the visit? The same as before?

Jodi: I am just starting to remember, trying to remember that week, that whole week and the week prior had a lot to do with it. The weekend and the Friday night prior.

Flores: Did you have plans on going down there? I know you said he had called and wanted you to come down. At what point did you decide, okay, I’m going?

Jodi: He is always like, I don’t want to say meddling, but always like more concerned than I felt he ought to be about my finances and he is, how can you make a road trip and this and that.

Flores: Well, he expected everyone to be like he is.

Jodi: He did, he really did.

Flores: He is thinking if you are going to go on a road trip you gotta be thinking about this and . . . .

Jodi: There were just so many times when I threw my responsibilities to the wind and went on a road trip with him, because I am a little irresponsible, not just with him, it was because of the traveling.

Flores: And he believes you should have everything planned out . . . .

Jodi: And have enough money for it.

Flores: And you just take off sometimes. You are a very free spirit. I have known that from the beginning. Sometimes it is good and sometimes it is not so good.

Jodi: It gives you the indication like when you see that . . . .

Flores: I have talked to you, I have talked to people that know you. It is like, oh, that’s just Jodi. You want to go do something, you just do it, and deal with the consequences later.

Jodi: Yeah.

Flores: When did you decide to go visit him? Were you already on the road, or was it from here? Did you already know you were going to visit him when you left here?

Jodi: Ummmmm . . . .

Flores: I have done that before sometimes, just leave and you know what? I am going to go visit this person while I am on the way.

Long pause.

Jodi: Ummmmm . . . .

Flores: Did you see any of his roommates’ cars out in the driveway when you left? That part just bothers me because it was so close to the time one of the roommates came home. And I am thinking you were still in the house when he was there.

Jodi: No. No, I was in the driveway.

Flores: In the driveway? Because they would have seen your car, right?

Jodi: My face was always right behind Travis’ car. There was a three-car garage and he always took the middle space. There was a smaller space but it was always jammed with junk. He was very much, he didn’t save stuff, he had so much storage. He let me store my stuff there because I went from a house to a room so I had artwork, I paint, and art supplies, photos, books and books and books and books, I have so many books, some weren’t even mine, they belong to my friend, Matt. I was renting a car because I was taking a trip to Monterrey and I was taking some books to him. We dated 8 years and we are still friends. So some of the books were his, some of them were mine (names books) that I am trying to read now because they are so out there. And then some photos for Darryl, who was another guy I dated after Matt. And kitchen supplies, Darryl gave her so much (something about Costco bill), so I had . . . . They said they took knives out of my car, those are Darryl’s and they have been in storage for years, one might have been mine, but they were Darryl’s, and a bunch of kitchen supplies and pictures of him and his son, we used to go to 49ers games and on camping trips.

Flores: So the car you drove was the rental car, the Ford Focus. I know they were going to rent you another car but there was something about the first one, you didn’t like it . . . .

Jodi: It was red. I always hear you shouldn’t drive a red car, I would never buy a red car, so I got the other car, it was a Ford Focus, too. I asked for a more neutral color because I always hear you get pulled over and get tickets. I don’t know if that’s true.

Flores: It’s just that people with red cars like to go fast. It’s a personality thing, it’s not the color.

Jodi: It’s a psychological thing. It’s noticeable and sends a red flag.

Flores: And Travis doesn’t lock his doors, so was the door open when you got there? How did you get inside? Did you knock? Everybody says he just leaves the doors open when he is home, he trusts everybody.

Jodi: Have you ever seen the movie The Secret?

Flores: I don’t think so.

Jodi: If you are familiar with the Law of Attraction kind of thing – he thought if you locked your doors, what are you telling the universe, what are you telling the ether out there? I need to lock my door for a reason. It gives the impression there is somebody out there that could hurt me, so by trusting . . . .

Flores: He is very, very trusting. That is the kind of person he is. Most of us come from a different background and have a different type of philosophy. Doing what I do, I lock my doors.

Jodi: I guess coming from Salinas, I used to always lock my doors. When I would go to sleep at night I would hear gunshots, we weren’t in a bad neighborhood but we bordered a bad neighborhood, and the sound of gunshots carries. Salinas is an agricultural community and has lots of fields. I used to think they were hunters out there with their dogs catching animals, and they were just gangs. I’m sorry, I’m rambling.

Flores: That’s okay, I noticed you sometimes go off . . . .

Jodi: Travis used to be like, get to the point, get to the point. And that made me kind of mad because he had a bit of a double standard about that because, if you ever see him train or talk, he is notorious for going too long. His friend, Dave, in Utah, cuts him off and got mad at him once because he went 5 minutes over. He just talks and talks and talks and I said, you are kind of long-winded yourself.

Flores: Well, he had a future in that, that’s what he wanted to do and he was good at it.

Jodi: (quietly) He talks about things sensibly and I just ramble on.

Flores: So was the door unlocked when you got there? Or did you go through the door in the garage? I know a lot of his friends have the key code, he doesn’t keep that a secret either. I got that from several different friends. Was he expecting you? Yes? Did you surprise him? I know he was always happy to see you.

Jodi: (crying) he told me this time when I was in his ward boundaries so one of my roommates went to his church and they were doing some church activity and Travis was getting a ride and he said his friend Katie Barnes was in the back seat, he was in another seat, and there were two people in the front, I guess they were all going to squeeze in and go to this church activity, and they were going to swing by and pick up Amy, I wasn’t there, I was at work or something, and he wasn’t paying attention, he was texting or something, and he looked up and it was my house, and he was like, what are we doing here? And he freaked out. I started laughing so hard when he told me that story. And they were like, we are getting Amy. This was after he looked up. I guess it just weirded him out.

Flores: You guys had a different kind of relationship because you would see each other but for some reason he couldn’t outwardly show it in public. He was afraid about his image and to him, his image was everything.

Jodi: He told me on several occasions that it bothered him, he had two friends who gave him a very hard time about our relationship, that was Chris and Sky Hughes, and I think they did it out of concern for his future, his marital status, him and I continuing that, we were just postponing what we should be focusing on instead.

Flores: You had your life. Life is what you make of it. It is not set in stone. I know the church has a general plan. If you’re a guy, you go to church, you go on a mission, you get married and you start having kids. You start contributing to society and to the church. You came into something, I don’t know if you came in with both feet or with one foot out, but it’s a whole different society in that church. It is all or nothing . . . .

Jodi: It is, and I think that’s because the church actually lives their standards.

Flores: They have the utmost standards and you look around and there’s not one person in that church, in those pews, that doesn’t need to be there. If they were perfect, they don’t have to go. And sometimes I think that it’s a façade. I know that Travis kept trying to live up to those standards but he is a human being and he’s a mere mortal and you have free will and that’s that. Sometimes I think he put too much pressure on himself to be perfect or at least portray himself as perfect. That’s maybe why something like this happens. Things get way out of hand.

Jodi: I am not an evil person.

Flores: I know you’re not.

Jodi: But I have always had, and I am not a promiscuous person . . . .

Flores: Something attracted you guys to each other.

Jodi: Yes, and I think there was also, I already knew him, I knew him through and through, I loved him and cared about him. I knew we weren’t going to get married, so I just . . . .

Flores: How did you know you weren’t going to get married? It was like oil and water? You didn’t mix?

Jodi: A couple of reasons. We mixed really well for a time, but I think when I discovered his ways last year it was hard.

Flores: What ways are those?

Jodi: I just felt like he wasn’t husband material. That didn’t mean he wouldn’t be in the future, but something he said to me in a Christmas card back in January of 2007 really stuck, and he said, do you want to be like Deanna and wait six years? And he made a joke and said, if you wait six years you can get free breast implants because he bought her breast implants, and I said, really . . . it was all these things. Why would he say something like that? Anyhow, that part stuck and I felt that women have, not all women, not me, but most women fall all over themselves for Travis. He’s nice and he seems like the whole package.

Flores: I think Mimi kind of saw through it. There’s some people that can see through stuff.

Jodi: I kind of did, too. I have never been pursued by a person like that, but at the same time I saw maybe through this and beneath that, and I really did see inside. He was an amazing person, a good person, a generous person, and he gave so much.

Flores: Maybe you chose to actually look past that first level. Somebody like Mimi looks past that first level and she said there is something I don’t like already and I am not going to look any further.

Jodi: She spends a lot of time at the temple, it is such a sacred place, and I think when you pray there and meditate there it will give you insight into about where you, just as a person, are supposed to make a move on a certain decision in your life, so maybe it wasn’t for her. I also was thinking, after the fact, I didn’t know she was going to Cancun and I didn’t know she flat out told him no, but I . . . .

Flores: So that’s completely out, the theory that you went there to convince him to not go.

Jodi: No, not at all, not at all.

Flores: Because that’s the first theory that was thrown out there, that she (Jodi) is jealous, that she knew he was going to Cancun with another girl and it was just jealousy.

Jodi: I asked him at one point after I moved, hey, who are you taking to Cancun by the way, I knew it wasn’t . . . . At one point there was a girl named Brenda and she saw me at the memorial and she was like, wasn’t he going to take you to Cancun? We found out about a year prior, right about the time we broke up, and so I never really assumed I had a ticket there. As things went on it was just never discussed. There was never any discussion.

Flores: It never went through your head?

Jodi: No, there was never a discussion that I was going to Cancun, not on that trip. Not with him. Maybe sometime in the future, maybe with him, maybe with somebody else. But no, that wasn’t an issue.

Flores: What about the trip with him coming up to you, to come visit you? Was that planned? Because I wasn’t even sure that was true.

Jodi: No, he was supposed to come twice. He was hoping he would come by March, I’m sorry, May 24th because I was singing the National Anthem at the races and I thought . . . It was part of one of my goals this year, to overcome the fear of being in front of large crowds, like public speaking. There were three things. One was handguns, which is one of the reasons I got a gun. There was somebody in town who said he would take me target practicing. I went to the sporting goods store to see what they had, and they were all in the $500 to $600 range. So I took (someone) with me, there was one, it was cheap, it was $100 and some, so I said let’s do it. So I put my money down and got my little 10-day background check and all that, and then I got it and was happy. And the third one was sky-diving so I was going to do that sometime. But he wasn’t able to make it up for the 24th. He was scared to tell me that, too.

Flores: Why was he scared?

Jodi: Not scared. He didn’t want to hurt my feelings. And he told me that in early May because I had known about it (the singing) about 8 weeks prior. I approached the guy at the Purple Plum . . . .

Flores: I ate there. I was thinking, wow, Jodi used to work here.

Jodi: I worked there when I was about 18. My dad closed his restaurant when I was 16 or 17 and I went to work there as a server. You make more money as a server than some of the other positions.

Flores: You have got the personality that people will want to tip you. So when he didn’t come up was there an issue with that?

Jodi: He put it so delicately that I couldn’t be mad. I was sad but I couldn’t be mad. He said, I am just not sure, there is a lot of stress, a lot of things going on right now, there is this and I have all this stuff going on. He said, I hesitated to tell you but it looks like I might not be able to make it up there to watch you sing and I have been scared to tell you. He says it in a way, you know, reverse psychology sort of. And I could tell that he was really concerned about hurting my feelings.

Flores: Is that when he decided to invite you up?

Jodi: No, he didn’t invite me until he found out I was going on a road trip. But then he said definitely the first week in June before I go to Cancun. So as that week got closer . . . . We had a big fight somewhere around then, I don’t remember the exact timeline but it was in late May.

Flores: Is that when his email was sent out? The large email about your relationship.

Jodi: I could tell . . . . Oh, I edited, (corrected) grammar and spelling on the first chapter of his book and he wanted to post it on his blog and I noticed when he posted the introduction he says, special thanks to Katie Barnes, and I have no jealousy towards her, she’s just a great girl, there’s nothing to worry about, in fact when I was worried about Lisa Andrews and Elena Gomez, her best friend, they were all spending a lot of time together, so I wasn’t sure, she would post flirtatious things on his My Space page, and he said, don’t worry about that, if you have anything to worry about it’s Katie Barnes. She’s a little freaky and emotionally unstable at times, but he says, I think she’s a nice girl. I said, make sure you post a special thanks to Jodi Arias for editing. And he said, I can’t do that. And he’s like, Jodi, we’ve discussed this, and what he meant was . . . . I left a few comments on his blog and he said people have already said things and he was referring to Sky Hughes, who said, I see a certain someone has been commenting on your blog and I think it was because he had given her, and I told him to say this, too . . . . Okay, I will be real quick because I know this is all background. We sat next to each other at the last convention for PPL in Oklahoma City and it is because we buy our tickets way in advance, we bought our tickets last year, and because he qualifies for Executive Director, which is one of the top levels in the company, he gets to sit on the floor close to the front instead of the stadium seats, so I had a ticket because he bought a ticket for me at the time, so it wasn’t a big deal but we were just sitting next to each other, and she made a comment and, of course, he has to explain, listen we bought our tickets a year ago. Anyway, she was giving him a hard time so I said, listen, tell her next time she says anything that Jodi’s dating other people and that she’s moving to California, because it was already in the plans to move to California.

Flores: I don’t understand why you just couldn’t tell them you were just friends? What issue was it?

Jodi: I wondered that, too, and he said it was because he and Sky have a lot of arguments but it wasn’t because they disliked each other, it’s because people have fiery personalities. She has a strict set of standards and he is just like, why, so together they are “kaboom,” but they were really best of friends, especially him and her husband, Chris, and a lot of their fights were about me from what I gather. I don’t know a lot about it.

Flores: Was that what that email was about?

Jodi: Yes, well I walked to work because it was about 10 minutes from my grandmother’s.

Video 14

Jodi: We spent the day in Scottsdale and when we were done we drove to his house and Deanna was there for some reason, to visit him or something. He was so scared that she would see him in my car that I practically had to keep the car rolling and kick him (out) as I drove by, and he was just, don’t even put it in park, just roll up, and he jumped out real quick and he’s like, go, go, go, go, so I’m like okay, and I just laughed at that. That was August 18th.

Flores: So I see the type of relationship, it was exactly what I thought it was.

Jodi: Well, I think with Deanna also, and I don’t think he had anything physical going on with her, I don’t know, I know that for a time there was, she’s pretty strong in that category I think as far as her values and standards go . . . .

Flores: So why this trip this time? I know you said he cancelled on coming up here the first part of June, right? Why did you go up there then? Was it because he couldn’t go? I mean, you guys still wanted to see each other?

Jodi: When his trip the second time got postponed, it was probably the last week of May, that he wasn’t going to come then, he was like, after Cancun, I have two weeks with nothing going on before I go to DC and I think that’s the best time, I’m going to see if it works out for my friends up north, that’s Chad Perkins and his wife (Mary?), and we can do it all then. And I was like, right, but (I’m thinking) whatever, we will see, I just might not see you till I went back to Utah.

Flores: Did he know you were coming? The first week of June?

Jodi: I wasn’t even . . . I had been talking to Ryan at this point, and obviously there is a distance and that was difficult and he really wanted to spend time with me, and I really wanted to spend time with him, and it just seemed like he had a few comments like, when are you going to come out and, as soon as you want. I didn’t think he was serious.

Flores: Is this Ryan you are talking about? Ryan Burns?

Jodi: Yes. So finally, things began to work out at Casa Ramos with my schedule and I had a three day weekend and so I thought, I will make this, take this opportunity and go see Ryan and that was my intention.

Flores: What happened when you left? Why did you go the other way?

Long pause.

Flores: That’s my question. Why go to see Travis if you are going to see Ryan as well? And did Travis know you were coming? He knew? I saw you shake your head a little bit.

Jodi: This is hard.

Flores: It’s okay. Did he know you were coming? Did you guys talk on the phone?

Jodi: (can’t hear)

Flores: What did you talk about?

Jodi: Gordon Hinckley, mostly.

Flores: The last conversation you had?

Jodi: The last long one. We talked a little bit prior.

Flores: Did you guys talk when you were en route to Phoenix?

Jodi: Yeah, (very softly) just previous. I told him my phone was dying and that was true. I thought I left my charger in Monterrey with Matt. I really, honestly thought I left my charger there. And I had been talking all day between . . . just on the phone and I take a lot of pictures of myself (laughing).

Flores: I noticed (laughing).

Jodi: Because I am kind of picky about them and then I delete, delete, delete, I take like 20 of them and then I delete, delete, delete. I keep two or three or none. So I talked a little bit with John Dixon who, I was maybe going to go to San Diego, there’s another place on the list there, too.

Flores: That’s all on the same trip?

Jodi: Yeah, it’s a little ambitious, but I thought . . . .

Flores: Gosh, that’s like 25, 28 hundred miles.

Jodi: It doesn’t bother me, I can go like 24 hours in the car . . . .

Flores: I can’t stand driving 45 minutes somewhere.

Jodi: Yeah (laughing). Where are you flying out of?

Flores: Oregon.

Jodi: Medford? Yeah, that’s a good one. It’s a pretty drive. So it was a little ambitious but I like road trips. Sometimes I have realistic view of things, (I mean) unrealistic about the time, I can show up a little later than I expected, which is not unusual for me but . . . .

Flores: So he knew you were coming? He was expecting you? Obviously you guys had a little encounter. Was that when those pictures were taken? Did he even show you those pictures?

Long pause.

Flores: It’s going to be all right, Jodi.

Jodi: I feel really powerless here. (crying) Do you know what my family is doing today?

Flores: No.

Jodi: Do you know if they are good . . . ?

Flores: I haven’t talked to them today. I know they are worried about you. Everybody is just kind of in limbo right now.

Long pause.

Flores: So obviously there was nobody else at the house when you got there. His roommates were gone. Well, there is Napoleon but . . . (laughs).

Jodi: (laughs) He is a person, too.

Flores: Yeah, I got to meet him.

Jodi: He is so awesome.

Flores: But nobody else was there?

Jodi: (very softly) I think his roommates were there.

Flores: You think his roommates were there? Were there cars there? You would have to see their cars. You parked in the driveway, right?

Jodi: Yeah.

Flores: One of them parks in the garage and one of them parks outside.

Jodi: I know Zach would park on the street a lot when I lived there. And he pulled his car in the garage whenever he would work on it.

Flores: What makes you think his roommates were there?

Jodi: (very, very softly) I asked him.

Flores: What did he say? Who was home?

Jodi: He just said (can’t hear). But I don’t know who. The reason I asked was because it was a kind of an indication of how quiet we have to be.

Flores: What time was that? Do you remember what time you rolled in?

Jodi: Ummmm. . . 3 o’clock. It was dark.

Flores: Wednesday morning?

Jodi: I think.

Flores: That makes sense. You are pretty sneaky, you go up there and the roommates don’t even know you are there (chuckles).

Jodi: I did that many, many, many nights.

Flores: How did they not see your car?

Jodi: Ummmmm. . . . I don’t know, I was parked right . . . .

Flores: Oh, you know what, Zach was house sitting for his girlfriend, his girlfriend was on a trip, on a cruise with her parents and I think he was staying the night at . . . .

Jodi: That makes sense because I want to say he said his roommate was home but I don’t remember, but I think he said one roommate was home.

Flores: One roommate. Enrique gets up about 5:30, 6:00 in the morning . . . .

Jodi: And Enrique’s room shares the wall with Travis’ room, which is fine. The walls are really, really thin.

Flores: Yes, Enrique was home, so you went in around 2 or 3 in the morning. But he gets up about 6, no he leaves the house about 6 in the morning, and he didn’t notice anything different. Did you guys spend the whole day together then, that following day? Did you guys go anywhere or just stay in the house?

Jodi: Slept.

Flores: After a long trip I would sleep, too.

Jodi: Travis stayed up all night waiting. He was watching something on You Tube, some stupid video. He is like, you gotta see this. And I’m watching and like, this is boring. What’s the point of that? Just stupid pointless stuff. I’m like, okay, I guess everyone’s got to have their time to veg out being so driven and deep as he is for business, which is fine that he watches stuff like that. It wasn’t anything profane or bad or vulgar, it was just people dancing and they had like boxes of foil on their head. It was weird, like robotic kind of music.

Flores: The pictures that I showed you of you laying on the bed and stuff, was that when those were taken that day?

Jodi: We also made a video but we deleted it.

Flores: A video on his camera? Videos are hard to get once they are erased, they take up so much room (on the card). Whereas pictures are a little different. What happened after that? What went wrong? I know that the last photos of him were taken at 5:20, 5:30. And you said he doesn’t like to take pictures of him and stuff.

Jodi: He was very private about the shower.

Flores: (laughing) Was that why you were taking picture of him in the shower?

Jodi: No, no.

Flores: (laughing) trying to get back at him?

Jodi: No.

Flores: I am surprised he allowed you to take pictures of him in the shower. The first few looked like he wasn’t too comfortable but obviously whatever you were saying to him made him a little more comfortable.

Jodi: I remember all that pretty clearly.

Flores: You remember that? What went wrong? Did he say something to you? Were you angry about something? Were you frustrated? What was it? Something happened at that point and I don’t know what it was.

Jodi: What are they going to do with the rental car? Are they going to bring it here?

Flores: Yes. There were several photos of him and the last one we have is of him sitting in the shower. And that’s when I think it happened. He was sitting down looking up at you. What did you do? What happened, Jodi? We have gone this far. Did you plan on doing that the whole time?

Jodi: (whispers) No.

Flores: Then why? Tell me. I don’t believe you planned it. But then I don’t understand why, why you took a gun with you.

Jodi: Oh, I didn’t.

Flores: Where is the gun from, then? Where did you get it? Everybody says he didn’t have one. Where did you get it if you didn’t take it? Did he have one in the house?

Jodi: Not to my knowledge.

Flores: Then where did you get it? Did you bring it with you? Did you get it here in Arizona?

Jodi: I didn’t ever have it actually in my possession.

Flores: Then who did? If you didn’t have it and Travis didn’t have it, then who did have it? Jodi, please.

Jodi: I can’t!

Flores: Why not? Are you protecting somebody else? Why would someone else do this?

Jodi: I don’t know.

Flores: Did someone catch you there? Someone not expecting you to be there?

Jodi: (can’t hear) see me there.

Flores: Then who was it?

Jodi: (whispers) I don’t know, they (can’t hear) . . . if I tell you everything I know, everything I remember . . . .

Flores: Okay, what do you remember? From the time you were taking the pictures to the time you left, what happened? What happened after that last picture was taken? You have to tell me. If you want me to believe someone else was there, you have to show me. (Jodi crying) You have to explain what happened. Otherwise, it was just you. And if that’s the case, that’s okay. That’s okay as well.

Jodi: (crying) It’s better if everyone thinks that.

Flores: If everyone thinks it was just you? No, it’s not.

Jodi: (crying) It is. You really have no idea. . . .

Flores: I do.

Jodi: No idea, no idea.

Flores: You are going through your own things right now. If somebody else was there with you, we need to know that. Why would somebody do that just because you are there with Travis?

Jodi: I can’t say. He didn’t say.

Flores: He didn’t say? They? What was the first thing they did to him? You were there. You saw it. What was the first thing . . . .

Jodi: I actually didn’t see it, I heard it, first.

Flores: Was there an argument? No?

Jodi: Not between Travis and I.

Flores: Any argument between anybody?

Jodi: Is there any way I can see those pictures? I just . . . .

Flores: No, not right now.

Jodi: Can I see them soon? I will not . . . .

Flores: You need to let me know what happened. You are telling me that some other people were there. You know how much that concerns me?

Jodi: I don’t know who they were. They know where I live, or they know where my parents are, I don’t know if they know where my grandparents are. But they got my address, they know where my family is . . . . Sorry.

Flores: So you are trying to say you doing this to protect your family? Why would someone do this to you and to him?

Jodi: I don’t think they really intended to do anything to me.

Flores: You are saying someone followed you all the way to Arizona from here?

Jodi: No, I don’t think that, I think I was an element of surprise for them.

Flores: You were an element of surprise?

Jodi: I am guessing, I don’t know.

Flores: They didn’t expect you to be there.

Jodi: I mean, they had to see the car.

Flores: Is it someone who lives in Mesa locally?

Jodi: I didn’t recognize them.

Flores: Well, you have to give me a motive. Why did they do this? Were they going after Travis? For what reason? You tell me this but you give me no reason.

Jodi: They didn’t discuss much, they just argued.

Flores: About what?

Jodi: About whether or not to kill me.

Flores: For what reason?

Jodi: Because I’m a witness.

Flores: A witness to what?

Jodi: Him. Of Travis.

Flores: Of Travis’ murder?

Jodi: Yeah, but I didn’t really witness it, I didn’t see much, I just . . . .

Flores: You need to make this believable because it’s not believable to me right now. You need to give me something.

Jodi: Okay, I just, listen . . . .

Flores: I am listening, Jodi, and it just doesn’t make any sense to me.

Jodi: That’s fine because my family will . . . .

Flores: We’ll help protect your family if that is the case.

Jodi: They got my driver’s license. It has a P.O. Box on it. And they got my registration from my purse, which was the purse I was using at the time, which has my parent’s address on it.

Flores: Why did they do this? You see where I am coming from? Why, what kind of beef would they have with him? Or was it with you or . . . . You need to make this believable. People just don’t go in somewhere and kill somebody for no reason and then let a witness go. That doesn’t happen. They have already killed one person, why not just take care of the other? You know who they are if you are telling me the truth.

Jodi: I don’t know them.

Flores: Then I don’t believe you either. I can’t, you can’t expect me to. I want to . . . .

Jodi: I wasn’t planning on going to Travis’ house. I was going to Santa Cruz, well, I wasn’t planning on going to Santa Cruz, I was going to Monterrey but by that time I called Matt, he said we’re in Santa Cruz, meet us here, and I said okay, and I went to the river and just hung out with the locals, just younger kids our age, and I stayed in Monterrey that night, got up the next morning and visited with Darryl and his son before he went to school. This is Tuesday the 3rd, and driving to LA, I hadn’t heard back from Laura yet, but it wasn’t until I got to LA that I looked on the map and Utah wasn’t really on there but, I mean Arizona, the map I printed, but, okay I just, I have seen the Sopranos (on TV) and they are not Mafia or anything but you know I just, there is a part of me inside that thinks they are never going to come after my family . . . .

Flores: From what you are telling me and from what I know about Travis and all his dealings, there is no reason anyone would go after him. Nothing. So what you are telling me about two people coming in or however many people coming in and letting you go just sounds so farfetched to me. Why would they do this, what were they arguing about? What did they say, they’re details?

Jodi: They didn’t say a lot. They were white Americans from what I could tell. They had, what do you call those things? They are like beanies but they cover your whole face and they’ve got holes for your nose and eyes . . . .

Flores: Ski caps?

Jodi: One was black, I think they were both black or dark blue. Anyway, it wasn’t until I was in LA and Laura wasn’t getting back to me, and it was already like 9 something (at night) that I thought, maybe I will just go see Travis briefly and I called Ryan and said, my phone was about to die and I tried getting a hold of Matt, I got his voice mail, I was going to ask him if my charger was there and he could save it or mail it or something. So I just, I had a wall charger I think and I was just going to charge it later when I got somewhere. Anyway, I did call Travis and I said, guess what, and he said, what, and I said, I’m coming to Arizona tonight, and there was silence, and they he goes, really, and I said, yeah, and he said, what made you change your mind? And I just said, I just, ‘cause I told him I missed him or something. But I would have said because you are too compelling but he is too, he’s already got a big enough head about that stuff, so I showed up and he was looking at You Tube on his computer, on his laptop in the office. We watched that for a little while and he was very happy to see me. Napoleon barked but he always barks when somebody comes in, but then he was really happy to see me and he gets so excited. He does this thing with his butt where he goes around in circles over and over and over till he realizes, stop going in circles. So it was a good reunion. And I told him I was tired, I don’t know what his intentions were or what he thought my intentions were at the time. But I was very exhausted from the trip and I was like, I think I’m going to sleep, and he said that’s fine. I slept pretty well the day before but I was tired from driving all night so I slept and he slept and we must have slept until 1.

Flores: In the afternoon?

Jodi: Yes, it must have been around then. And his roommate was home when I got there. I have never seen his roommate, though, so I must have been asleep when he got up and left. Okay, if you don’t believe me that’s okay.

Flores: I am trying to. It’s just so hard.

Jodi: I know, it sounds to me like I am already in the system, I am already in. I’m not getting out anytime soon and as long as it falls on me . . . I’m just saying that as long as – there’s less of a chance that my little brother is going to be hurt (crying) or my mom or dad or my sister that lives there.

Flores: Well, continue with the story. About one o’clock . . . .

Jodi: Yes, we had sex a couple of times. Once in his bedroom, one downstairs in his office and he . . . . He was looking at some pictures that I brought for him but he has a virus on his computer so when he clicked the Start menu on Windows XP or Windows 2000 or whatever, and you have, like, My Pictures, My Music, My Computer, you can usually click on My Computer and then go into the disc drive and open that. He clicked the window and that My Pictures, My Music, none of that would come up, so he had some kind of virus he was dealing with. His screen saver was just a bunch of bugs eating up the screen and he said it that is from the virus, too. I said, that’s a cute screen saver, and he said, yeah, it’s my stupid virus. For some reason that was frustrating for both of us because we couldn’t look at the pictures, which were from a lot of our church history trips which are on my other external drive which I haven’t been able to access for a long time, since after Christmas because it just quit and I just haven’t had the money to spend to get all that stuff back.

Flores: So you guys worked with that for awhile or . . . ?

Jodi: Yeah, we had three discs, I think.

Flores: So what time is this now you guys are messing with the computer?

Jodi: I don’t really remember, it was after we had . . . .

Flores: A couple of hours, maybe?

Jodi: Yeah, after noon. He had been cleaning his house so I couldn’t sit on the couch, usually I would just chill on the couch downstairs if no one was home, but he had chairs and all that stuff all over the couch because he was cleaning the floors or something. And Napoleon . . . . and I don’t know what he was doing on the internet, but at some point he was going to go up and take a shower and it took a lot of convincing prior when he was shaving, and I said I have got some ideas but they didn’t turn out good, not like I wanted them to, but I wanted, I could get some cool pictures of him shaving, ‘cause he does the whole old-fashioned thing with this little, I don’t know how it works. But he liked it apparently because he used it for his profile on My Space. So those turned out good and I was going to do them later but I asked him, can I take pictures in the shower, and he’s like, no (laughs). I was just like, I have an idea, I saw this thing in a Calvin Klein ad once and it looked really good. And you’re right, he wasn’t really comfortable at first. He’s standing there and he says, I feel gay (laughs).

Flores: (laughs) He has that look on his face.

Jodi: So some I deleted and some I kept taking and some he looked really good, I thought. The one you showed me yesterday looking right at you? I think that is a good picture. He hates it. I don’t know what he hates about that. I think it is a very good picture.

Flores: So you were taking pictures and showing him?

Jodi: Yeah. His shower doors were open. The water pressure in his shower isn’t that great, it’s not like water was going everywhere.

lol yes! yo can hear them washing dishes too. David Lohr addressed it on his You Tube channel. The room is next to the kitchen.

Yes, I believe it is. On another adjoining wall I came to the conclusion that the room is also next to an often used bathroom ... toilet flushes quite regularly and the bathroom has a squeaky door. Needs oiling the squeaking got on my nerves.

Jodi gets around to admitting she was there. After listening to vidso #13@ the beginnig of 14 I am convinced Travis did not know Jodi was on her way to his house. She snuck in.

I disagree--you can observe her weird behavior in those 2 videos. She doesn't even eat the sandwich like a normal person--she has the strangest mannerisms. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it stands out to me.:moo:

Yes she does have weird mannerisms. She is constantly running her fingers through her hair and shaking the hair off on the floor. This hair shedding of hers winds up getting hair all over everything. {There's a trashcan available to put the hairs, she doesn't have to throw them all over the floor} She's always picking hair off her clothing, even off the table where she will later eat/pick at her sandwich. She picks at her food like a spoiled child. Jodi being a murderer put aside, I would literally loose my appetite eating at the same table with her, the main reason being the hair falling out so easily and possibly contaminating everyone's food, just Yuck. Also I cannot believe a woman of her age is not able to eat a sandwich properly. Just nit picking at the last civilian meal she will EVER have. Grrrrr, I wanted to smack her. I would imagine if those are her normal eating habits that Travis did not want to take her out to eat in public. She eats like she was born in a barn or raised by a pack of wolves like we say in Texas, just disgusting manners all the way around. This hair shedding would disallow me from eating anything she had cooked! :sick:

Sorry to interrupt, does anyone know what I do to alert a mod or start a thread? There is a young girl missing from Fresno- her name is Angelica Copeland- she has been missing for 24 hours and she came up on my Facebook feed. I don't see anything here on the forum and don't know what to do. I have looked for a mods name at the bottom of several threads to PM but haven't found one yet (it is Easter weekend and all). Help anyone?!

Go to this link below to view all Mods/Admins. If they are online their little button next to their name will be Green.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showgroups.php

This is the quickest way to find a Mod/Admin that is currently Online.

This link to all Mods/Admins can be found at the very bottom of every page at WS.

The link is titled as: View forum leaders.

Hope this is helpful. :seeya:

G&AMom - OMG! What a TON of work you've done here! Thanks so much! This is a fabulous reference!

G&AMom - OMG! What a TON of work you've done here! Thanks so much! This is a fabulous reference!

You know how you remember something better when you write it down, like taking notes in class? I'm almost ready to take the final exam on Jodi's interrogation! :floorlaugh: Too bad there's not a degree being offered. From the University of Websleuths, maybe!

This part says a lot to me:

Jodi: Yeah, (very softly) just previous. I told him my phone was dying and that was true. I thought I left my charger in Monterey with Matt. I really, honestly thought I left my charger there. And I had been talking all day between . . . just on the phone and I take a lot of pictures of myself (laughing).

First, what does "just previous" mean? That makes no sense. They either talked when she was en route or not. Therefore, "just previous" indicates something happening afterwards. Does this mean that she was NOT en route to Phoenix at the moment they were speaking? I find that her speech, both during the interrogation and on the stand, is full of these references to minute, but vague, units of time. A lot of phrases such as "not at that point." So frustrating, because, if someone indicates one point, that's a reference to another point, but the "point" is dropped and she moves on to something else.

I know this is lying behaviour, and evasion, but it's not enough to say "well, she always lies!" because we know that her narratives are a mixture of real events, half-truths and lies. Which is why I zoomed in on ...

"I told him my phone was dying and that was true." That was true. So, then, what part wasn't true? The part about her thinking that she left her charger at Matt's place? Because, here, she really, honestly thought that she did leave her charger there. Sigh.

For her, not every lie is just like all the other lies. They always have a purpose (hence, she's not, by definition, a pathological liar) but the purpose is--maybe sometimes--to convince herself, not just others. She seems awfully emotionally attached to the idea that she couldn't find her phone charger. I think it's possible she almost believes this fiction. Perhaps the charger was out of sight, underneath the seat, but "losing" it gave her that extra little push to follow through. Or, she allowed herself to see the "lost" charger as a nice little sign from the universe that she could enter Arizona without a trace.

I know that calling her a sociopath resolves all these strange verbal constructions, so that every step she took, every lie, becomes simply cold-blooded, well-thought-out planning. But, something tells me her mind is full of more twists and turns and complications than that. Something tells me her conscience is flimsy, broken, full of holes, but not entirely absent. I mean, she lies calmly, but badly. Like a child. Of course, I could be wrong about all of this!

Gauntlet - Many thanks to you too! These transcriptions are awesome!

: )

You know how you remember something better when you write it down, like taking notes in class? I'm almost ready to take the final exam on Jodi's interrogation! :floorlaugh: Too bad there's not a degree being offered. From the University of Websleuths, maybe!
Well, it's just amazing how hard you've worked on this. Thank you. :tyou:

A big thank you to all the people who transcribed this tapes-very much appreciated!!!

This part says a lot to me:

Jodi: Yeah, (very softly) just previous. I told him my phone was dying and that was true. I thought I left my charger in Monterey with Matt. I really, honestly thought I left my charger there. And I had been talking all day between . . . just on the phone and I take a lot of pictures of myself (laughing).

I mean, she lies calmly, but badly.

Snipped for space.

This jumped out at me immediately when I was listening. It's the only place where she says anything like that. VERY telling.

Video 16

(Long pause)

Flores: And we are still not done looking at all the evidence. We still have other things to check in the Lab and other blood swabs and other things like that, and every time they call me and tell me, hey, we have this, (it) points to Jodi, hey, we have checked that, that one is Jodi, nothing points to anybody else. Do you want to be truthful with me? If not, we can just end it now and we’ll just leave it the way it is.

Jodi: I know it’s obvious I was there --

Flores: No, it’s obvious that you committed a crime, that you hurt Travis.

Jodi: No, there’s no reason I would hurt him.

Flores: No! It’s not like that. I know that you did this and you refuse to tell me why.

Jodi: There’s no reason –

Flores: You refuse to tell me why. There’s no reason anybody else would come in and do this to him. There’s no motive whatsoever. We haven’t found any.

Jodi: What is my motive?

Flores: Jealousy? Anger? Fear of being alone? Anger at him for not keeping you in his life? I don’t know, that’s why I’m trying to figure it out. There are so many motives with you. To me.

(Long, long pause)

Flores: We know you had a .25 auto. You guys reported it stolen. We recovered the ammunition and it matches. We recovered the shell casing and it matches the ammunition. Your prints, your blood, your hair, a motive, you were there . . . .

Jodi: I wasn’t jealous of anything. I was a little envious because he was going to Cancun but that wasn’t the reason. Like, I could go to Cancun. It’s not cheap, I mean, it’s not expensive to go to Mexico.

Flores: I know. You were probably standing above him when he was in the shower and you shot him in the head.

Jodi: I was kneeling down beside him looking at the pictures –

Flores: Jodi. And then you had a knife and you stabbed him. Several times. Yes, you did. Jodi (loud sigh). Tell me the truth. Please. Or if you want we can stop here. It doesn’t matter. You have given me so much already, why stop? Do you want to continue? Do you want to tell me the truth?

(Long, long pause)

Flores: What did you do with the gun?

Jodi: I never had it in my possession.

Flores: Jodi, you did.

Jodi: Never. I don’t have it.

Flores: Yeah, you don’t have it. People say that when they know the gun, they have seen the gun, they have touched the gun, (they) don’t have it.

Jodi: I saw the gun.

Flores: Yeah, but you had it before. You’ve touched it. You’ve used it. I know you have. (loud sigh)

Jodi: I don’t think I’ve ever even fired a gun. I’ve done bows and arrows but not guns, water guns, but not a real gun. And the gun that I got on Friday was never used.

Flores: So you are going to continue to tell me that you didn’t do this to him.

Jodi: I did not kill Travis.

Flores: I believe you did. I truly believe you did, and there’s nothing showing anybody else did this. Nothing. I have been in so many scenes and so many investigations, and there’s always some type of evidence left behind, no matter how careful somebody is. And in this case, there was evidence, not pointing at anybody else. Just you. And that’s what I have to go by, and that’s what my report’s going to say.

Jodi: Okay. If I had planned to hurt him in any way, I, you know, I am not the brightest person but I don’t think I could stab him and I think if (?) I would have to shoot him continuously until he was . . . dead, if that were my intention, again, and I would bring up the gloves again, but I would have to wear gloves, I mean, I am not too worried about prints because they are all over anyway, but . . . I would never stab him . . . if, if, IF I had it anywhere in me to kill him the least I could have done was to make as humane as possible, or quick, or something, if any killing is humane, so to speak. I would just . . . like, he was still alive . . . .

Flores: Yes. Yes, he was. He was alive for awhile. And I knew that he had been shot first and he was still alive and possibly tried to get away, maybe even tried to fight back.

Jodi: I think he was in shock. I just remember waking up and he was –

Flores: But you didn’t see him fight back or anything, did you? He just kind of collapsed there and . . . .

Jodi: No, he was here (pointing at drawing) right outside of the shower . . . .

Flores: And then he, you pulled him this way, you tried to get away with him but then he couldn’t go any further.

Jodi: He said he couldn’t move, because he couldn’t feel his legs.

Flores: And that was the last place you saw him. You stopped and said he kind of collapsed right there. She was standing there and he was over here, and that just doesn’t make any sense.

Jodi: He was still, like, able to move, like, he was, I guess he was conscious up here (gestures around her head) sort of, so he wasn’t like on his legs or on his knees or on his feet, he was walking . . . .

Flores: He was crawling.

Jodi: Yeah, he was trying to use his legs but he was sort of standing up.

Flores: Yeah. If you are going to continue on that road, I hope (can’t understand)

Jodi: I don’t remember what time it was but . . . .

Flores: I gave you an opportunity. This was the only opportunity. Okay, and you just, you gave me the information that you were there, but I knew you were there, and then you throw some story in that is not plausible. It just doesn’t make any sense with the evidence that was in the house, it doesn’t make any sense at all. That evidence tells a story. I know where, in that evidence, that story that you told me doesn’t match. It doesn’t match. Is that how you want to leave it? You want to stop here and that’s how you want to leave it?

Jodi: I know that I didn’t take Travis’ life. And I know –

Flores: I know that you did.

Jodi: Look, I know you don’t believe me –

Flores: I don’t believe you.

Jodi: As long as I’m here, someone else is happy and it is not –

Flores: So you are just going to let these two people get away with it.

Jodi: There’s not even any way to identify them. One was male, one was female. They were taller than me, not by a lot.

Flores: Okay. Are you ready to go back (to the jail)?

Jodi: I guess. I would still like to say something to his family but I don’t think I have anything that could bring them comfort. Maybe I could write them a letter.

Flores: Well, you will always have the opportunity to do that, so . . . .

Jodi: Would they receive it?

Flores: I don’t know.

Jodi: I don’t mean would they accept it. I mean, if I had the, if I made it to them would they get it? Do you know?

Flores: Yeah. I don’t have their address, I’m not going to provide you their address. They know where you are going to be and if they want contact with you, then they can do that.

Jodi: That’s fine. I know his grandmother’s address and at least I could mail it but I don’t know if that’s something . . . .

Flores: Well, let me see if I can get someone to take you back. You’re sure you want to leave it like this?

Jodi: I don’t know what else to say.

Flores: (stands up) That’s it then. Okay, the next time I see you will probably be in Phoenix. Is that cool?

Jodi: (softly) Do I have a choice?

Flores: Well, you are going there regardless so it doesn’t matter. But I was hoping that we could resolve this. And it’s obvious by what you are telling me that you don’t want to resolve this here.

Jodi: I just can’t.

Flores: Well, at the beginning you told me that you couldn’t tell me because you couldn’t tell me who they were, because you didn’t want your family to get hurt.

Jodi: I can’t, I can’t put my family --

Flores: And now you are telling me you don’t know who they are so it doesn’t matter. So there’s nothing you can tell me. So many inconsistencies that I can’t even deal with right now.

Jodi: I just don’t what my family to get hurt.

Flores: They won’t get hurt. You are hurting them right now by not telling me the truth. That’s what you’re doing. Okay?

Flores leaves at 11 min 40 sec.

14 min 50 sec. Detective Blaney enters the room.

Blaney: Jodi, they sent across the street for something for you to eat, you are probably hungry by now. So I figure if at any time while we waiting and you are just kind of sitting here hanging out, if you want to make a rough draft to Travis’ grandmother and family, this would be a good chance for you to do that (gives Jodi paper and pen).

Jodi: Well, it will be just a rough one, though, so can I take it back with me?

Blaney: We can work something out.

15 min 24 sec. Blaney leaves.

16 min 43 sec. Blaney opens door, puts bag lunch on table and leaves. Jodi eats lunch and writes on paper.

Video 17

At beginning, Jodi tears off the paper she has been writing on, and together with another paper, folds it, puts it in her shirt pocket, take it out and tucks it in the waistband of her pants. She continues to eat lunch and write.

Video 18

Jodi is still eating lunch and writing. 4 min 10 sec. Detective Blaney enters room.

Blaney: You all finished up?

Jodi: (whispers, can’t hear)

Blaney: What’s that? (meaning, what did you say?)

Jodi: For now, I guess. Can I take this or no?

Blaney: (can’t understand)

Jodi: Okay.

Blaney reads what Jodi has been writing.

Blaney: You can take some paper with you.

Blaney asks to see paper Jodi has tucked into her pants, reads it and returns it to Jodi. Jodi stands.

Blaney: Put your hands out in front of you.

Blaney puts handcuffs on. Another detective enters and gives Jodi a few pieces of paper (can’t understand what he says). Jodi thanks him. Blaney turns her around and puts on waist chain. Jodi folds papers she has been given.

Blaney: Okay, you’re ready to go.

6 min 20 sec. Blaney and Jodi leave room.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Altruistic_Ruin06
Back