GUILTY UT - Breezy Otteson, 17, & Riley Powell, 18, found deceased, Tooele, 30 Dec 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
https://www.deseretnews.com/article...h-property-of-missing-eureka-mans-mother.html

(Snips)
The sheriff and investigators on the case met with family members of the missing couple for about 90 minutes Monday. Hunt said detectives did not release a lot of new information in order to avoid compromising the investigation.

Both Powell's mother and grandmother were present at Monday's meeting with the sheriff, she said. Hunt said they knew the search warrant information would be released at some point.

On January 16, police searched the home where Powell's mother Mistie Carlson lives with her boyfriend Lee Shepherd, her mother, Linda Powell, and her mother's boyfriend William 'Clubby' Larson after being alerted to them by a neighbor.

Details of that search became public on Monday when the search warrant obtained by police beforehand was unsealed in court.

The neighbor said they had seen Shepherd towing a car similar to the one Riley often drove on January 2, the day they were reported missing.

Police seized several items of property including a camouflage tie strap which they described as being 'identical' to one found in the driver's seat of the teenager's abandoned car.

Slash marks on their tires also appeared to have been made deliberately, police said. There was no tear in the side wall that would indicate that the tires where moving when punctured.'

The items they seized included drug paraphernalia and letters addressed to Riley's mother.

Riley's mother, grandmother and her boyfriend all gave voluntary interviews on January 15 but Shepherd, his step-father, refused to speak to police and instead left the house to go into a trailer on the property.

During her interview, Riley's mother Mistie said she had been at home on New Year's Eve with the rest of the family at a party.

Clubby, her mother's boyfriend, said she was not there at all and another guest who attended the event made no mention of her being there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5358627/Missing-Utah-teens-murdered.html

Okay. So Linda Powell is Grandma.
Am I to surmise that Riley was adopted by family members then?
Since his parents share Grandma's last name?
Misty is Riley's birth mother. I hope we can refer to her as that to avoid some confusion.
Though, quite honestly I am still a bit confused.

Okay. So Linda Powell is Grandma.
Am I to surmise that Riley was adopted by family members then?
Since his parents share Grandma's last name?
Misty is Riley's birth mother. I hope we can refer to her as that to avoid some confusion.
Though, quite honestly I am still a bit confused.

I read in an article that is up thread that Mistie is bio Mom to Riley and was adopted by Linda aka the Grandmother.
I was also deeply confused about the relationships and such until I read the latest article. I’ll try to edit and link but I’m sometimes not able to edit posts.
Also- his bio Mom has a Facebook account. There’s videos and pics of them exploring mine shafts in the area. Gave me a very uneasy feeling.
I’m not at all accusing anyone of anything- just found it unsettling that so many mines, abandoned ones too, exist right out in the open like that. In one of the videos someone drops something down the shaft to determine depth and it took a long time to hit bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a strong sense this was much closer to home but sat on my hands. Very sad.

I thought that the warrants were for Riley Powell's mother and boyfriend - am I mistaken?

You are correct. It is Riley’s mother, not Breezy’s. Let’s not sleuth the wrong mum :)

I read in an article that is up thread that Mistie is bio Mom to Riley and was adopted by Linda aka the Grandmother.
I was also deeply confused about the relationships and such until I read the latest article. I’ll try to edit and link but I’m sometimes not able to edit posts.
Also- his bio Mom has a Facebook account. There’s videos and pics of them exploring mine shafts in the area. Gave me a very uneasy feeling.
I’m not at all accusing anyone of anything- just found it unsettling that so many mines, abandoned ones too, exist right out in the open like that. In one of the videos someone drops something down the shaft to determine depth and it took a long time to hit bottom.

You are right, Bill and Linda Powell adopted him. I went back and read.
So they are referring to Mistie as Mom and Linda as Grandma.

You are correct. It is Riley’s mother, not Breezy’s. Let’s not sleuth the wrong mum :)

That was my fault, sorry. It's too late for me to edit. :gaah: Yes please let's not sleuth the wrong mom, I would feel terrible!!!

Trying to see if I have Riley's family and living situations properly understood:

Breezy and Riley lived together with Riley's Father in Eureka, UT(unsure from reports if this is bio father or his bio grandfather/adoptive father)

At another house in Eureka (where search warrant was executed) resided:
Mistee (Riley's bio mother) + boyfriend (who declined to meet with police)
Linda Powell (Riley's adoptive mother/bio grandmother) + her boyfriend (Clubby?)

And thus far I have not seen information about Breezy's family besides her aunt who is maintaining the facebook missing page and seems to be the spokesperson for Breezy's family. And thus far no one related to Breezy were in the groups who last saw the two teenagers.

Please feel free to correct anything I wrote above!

Search warrant in missing teens case surprised grandmother
http://www.good4utah.com/news/search-warrant-in-missing-teens-case-surprised-grandmother/955326916

(Snip)
But a search warrant served on the home of Larson revealed possible evidence. Investigators learned a neighbor saw Powell's boyfriend towing a vehicle that resembled Riley’s.

"He (Larson) was helping a friend," said Powell. "He was towing that vehicle."

DNA and blood of a dead person was taken as well from the home, according to the search warrant.

DNA and blood of a deceased person??

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Search warrant in missing teens case surprised grandmother
http://www.good4utah.com/news/search-warrant-in-missing-teens-case-surprised-grandmother/955326916

(Snip)
But a search warrant served on the home of Larson revealed possible evidence. Investigators learned a neighbor saw Powell's boyfriend towing a vehicle that resembled Riley’s.

DNA and blood of a dead person was taken as well from the home, according to the search warrant.

This article about the search warrant surprised me! There's a lot of confusing things going on in the snippet you quote.

The search warrant says that a witness reported seeing a truck that matched the truck that Mistie's boyfriend (Lee Shepherd) -- not Linda's boyfriend (Clubby Wilson) -- usually drives. Unless the reporter is aware of other information separate from the search warrant. From the warrant (BBM):

It was reported to investigators that a witness had seen a truck described as a blue two wheel drive Chevy with a Chevy emblem decal on the left side of thetailgate that frequents the property that Mistie Carlson and Lee shepherd live on. She saw the truck puling a Jeep described as "the one Riley is always driving" on the 01/02/2018 south bound from Tooele county, Lofgreen area. Investigators learned that the description of the truck matched that of a truck drive by Lee Shepard. Lee is the boyfriend of Mistie Carlson who is Riley's Mother.

Linda gave Clubby an alibi anyway. She seems nice.

How'd you like to be the neighbor right about now? I'd feel like I had a target on my back.

From the article:

What? The search warrant seeks authorization to take "Any and all items with blood, DNA, biological material on them or samples of the same" as well as other items that may have been used in the pursuit of illegal conduct, including obstruction of justice, desecration of a human body and homicide.

--

The witness cited in the search warrant said she saw Riley's jeep being towed on Jan. 2. I wonder where Breezy and Riley were at that point. Lofgreen is about 15 miles from Eureka.

Trying to see if I have Riley's family and living situations properly understood:

Breezy and Riley lived together with Riley's Father in Eureka, UT (unsure from reports if this is bio father or his bio grandfather/adoptive father)

Upthread the question was asked whether Riley lived with his father or grandfather. Breezy's aunt, who runs the FB page, has stated that Bill Powell is Riley's father. She's also indicated that Bill has been the main partner in helping Breezy's family with the search. He's not a FB guy, though, so he's not active on the page.

The confusion over Bill's relationship with Riley is understandable given that his grandfather apparently adopted him at a young age. I'm not sure how much Amanda, Breezy's aunt, really knew about Riley's family's background before they disappeared, so this might have been news to her, too. I can't even speculate at this point whether Bill is Riley's biological grandfather (vs a stepgrandfather or paternal grandfather), though I assume so, given that Riley and his two younger sisters carry his surname. I assume Bill is Riley's maternal grandfather since his (ex)-wife, Linda, shares a residence with Mistie Maree, Riley's bio mother. This wouldn't seem to make sense unless Mistie Maree is LInda Powell's bio daughter.

I'm unclear on who all is living with Riley's father/grandfather. Riley has two sisters who seem to be younger and both live in the Eureka area. One sister has two daughters with her boyfriend. I'm not sure if she and he have a separate residence. Some thought early on that Riley and Breezy may have left because they didn't care for their living arrangements.

And thus far I have not seen information about Breezy's family besides her aunt who is maintaining the facebook missing page and seems to be the spokesperson for Breezy's family. And thus far no one related to Breezy were in the groups who last saw the two teenagers.

Breezy's mother passed away in 2012. I don't know whether her bio father is no longer living or just not in the picture, but I've heard nothing about him. I don't know what Breezy's living situation has been since her mother passed away and whether her family supported her decision to move in with Riley (she turned 18 in January, so she had leverage if they weren't 100% on board).

P.S. Some of the articles refer to Lee Shepherd as Riley's 'stepfather,' which makes no sense to me. Mistie Maree is not married to Lee Shepherd; she surrendered parental rights so her parents could adopt her children; Riley is an adult; and I would be astonished to learn that Lee adopted Riley. Stop calling Lee a stepfather!

This article about the search warrant surprised me! There's a lot of confusing things going on in the snippet you quote.

The search warrant says that a witness reported seeing a truck that matched the truck that Mistie's boyfriend (Lee Shepherd) -- not Linda's boyfriend (Clubby Wilson) -- usually drives. Unless the reporter is aware of other information separate from the search warrant. From the warrant (BBM):

Linda gave Clubby an alibi anyway. She seems nice.

How'd you like to be the neighbor right about now? I'd feel like I had a target on my back.

From the article:

What? The search warrant seeks authorization to take "Any and all items with blood, DNA, biological material on them or samples of the same" as well as other items that may have been used in the pursuit of illegal conduct, including obstruction of justice, desecration of a human body and homicide.

--

The witness cited in the search warrant said she saw Riley's jeep being towed on Jan. 2. I wonder where Breezy and Riley were at that point. Lofgreen is about 15 miles from Eureka.

I don't even know where to start with that article. I thought Linda was using Clubby to give Lee an alibi. Dumb on her part, because the neighbor identified the truck with the sticker and LE knows it belongs to Lee.

Upthread the question was asked whether Riley lived with his father or grandfather. Breezy's aunt, who runs the FB page, has stated that Bill Powell is Riley's father. She's also indicated that Bill has been the main partner in helping Breezy's family with the search.
P.S. Some of the articles refer to Lee Shepherd as Riley's 'stepfather,' which makes no sense to me. Mistie Maree is not married to Lee Shepherd; she surrendered parental rights so her parents could adopt her children; Riley is an adult; and I would be astonished to learn that Lee adopted Riley. Stop calling Lee a stepfather!

Just wanted to say thank you for clarifying the relationships involved here and I 100% agree that Lee Shepherd should not be referred to as Riley's stepfather.

I am also surprised that the neighbor/witness account was made public. If I were that witness, I would be incredibly nervous right now.

I don't even know where to start with that article. I thought Linda was using Clubby to give Lee an alibi. Dumb on her part, because the neighbor identified the truck with the sticker and LE knows it belongs to Lee.

I didn't even think about that. Sad if she were motivated to protect her daughter's boyfriend over her grandson / adopted son and his girlfriend / fiancée.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMEAMG
Back