GUILTY UT - Breezy Otteson, 17, & Riley Powell, 18, found deceased, Tooele, 30 Dec 2017 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hadn't seen this thread before but quickly got sucked in today and couldn't read all the pages fast enough. (Also, was confused with all the key players/family and nicknames etc but apparently I wasn't alone there! :wink:

Very sad. I'm very, very curious about those two pieces of mail with nothing but two blank papers in each of them. I wonder if that was new mail or mail that had already been opened....

BBM. The strange letters with blank pieces of paper in them worried me at first. I'm pretty sure now that this was probably a chain letter setup. Here's a snopes link that talks about how it works:
https://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/chain.asp

Linda has two FB friends - both women her age-- who have the same last names and live in the same two locations that are referenced in the warrant. I think Mistie was running a chain letter get-rich scheme, because why not? :puke: I'm sure the ladies were thrilled to be contacted by LE and to be named in an unsealed warrant.

BBM. The strange letters with blank pieces of paper in them worried me at first. I'm pretty sure now that this was probably a chain letter setup. Here's a snopes link that talks about how it works:

Linda has two FB friends - both women her age-- who have the same last names and live in the same two locations that are referenced in the warrant. I think Mistie was running a chain letter get-rich scheme, because why not? :puke: I'm sure the ladies were thrilled to be contacted by LE and to be named in an unsealed warrant.
I

I hadn't thought of a chain letter. Very well could be. I was thinking an, ahem, salesperson, sending profits to the boss in the form of gift or cash cards. Easy way to launder drug money. Imo, the ladies names were just being used by the, ahem, salesperson from Provo.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm pretty sure this isn't complete, but it's a start. If people look elsewhere, keep in mind that "Mistie Maree" isn't always spelled the way her name is spelled.

Utah public records - link: http://www.utahsright.com/charges.php?first=mistie&last=carlson&search=1

Thank you!

The real crime here is that people are still sending snail mail chain letters. That's so 1985. :-)

1 letter addressed to Mistie Maree Carlson from "Thorne" with address in west valley,post marked 01/11/2018 out of Provo containing two blank pieces of paper.1 letter addressed to Mistie Maree Carlson from "Crowther" with address in SLC, postmarked 01/11/2018 out of Provo containing two blank pieces of paper

Except that, I'm not sure about West Valley, but wouldn't Salt Lake City have a postmark of SLC, not Provo?
Kind of odd that two friends from different cities would have happened to mail a chain letter postmarked on the same exact day from the same exact city. Plus...where is the chain letter or other contents?
Again, realizing that when mailing something even directly from the post office, sometimes they are postmarked at the nearest sorting facility vs the city where you actually mailed them off,, but I would think a SLC post office would be postmarked SLC vs Provo. (Again, not sure about West Valley)
It would also be a strange coincidence IF those two letters happened to have return addresses from 2 of the most straight-laced, normal, honest looking women on her FB friends list. Theoretically of course.

ETA: Wonder if Mistie was soliciting money from friends/family/church to help aid the search for her kid or other things. Wouldn't be off to.stick money between two pieces of paper to "conceal it" while in the mail system from sticky fingers.

Except that, I'm not sure about West Valley, but wouldn't Salt Lake City have a postmark of SLC, not Provo?
Kind of odd that two friends from different cities would have happened to mail a chain letter postmarked on the same exact day from the same exact city. Plus...where is the chain letter or other contents?
Again, realizing that when mailing something even directly from the post office, sometimes they are postmarked at the nearest sorting facility vs the city where you actually mailed them off,, but I would think a SLC post office would be postmarked SLC vs Provo. (Again, not sure about West Valley)
It would also be a strange coincidence IF those two letters happened to have return addresses from 2 of the most straight-laced, normal, honest looking women on her FB friends list. Theoretically of course.

The letters must have been opened. My speculation is that the chain letter (or fundraising letter/email) went from Linda/Mistie to friends and acquaintances, and the letters were incoming cash donations sent between the two pieces of paper. IMO, Mistie would have removed the cash immediately, then, for whatever reason, didn't dispose of the envelopes (or did and LE got them out of the rubbish). If there were any personal notes, those were also removed.

ETA: Wonder if Mistie was soliciting money from friends/family/church to help aid the search for her kid or other things. Wouldn't be off to.stick money between two pieces of paper to "conceal it" while in the mail system from sticky fingers.

Oh, that's even a better racket. I could see the Church Ladies (your description is spot-on) contributing to that cause more than a chain mail scam. My guess is that the money actually went to the Wendover trip. As noted upthread, Bill/Wiliam Powell has been the mainstay in participating in search efforts and coordinating with Amanda (Breezy's aunt).

The vast majority of Linda's and Mistie's public FB posts are game notifications. I was struck by a public post from Amanda to Mistie's page trying to contact her about the missing couple. So sad.

I

I hadn't thought of a chain letter. Very well could be. I was thinking an, ahem, salesperson, sending profits to the boss in the form of gift or cash cards. Easy way to launder drug money. Imo, the ladies names were just being used by the, ahem, salesperson from Provo.

Another good alternative. I think, in the situation you describe, Mistie would have been a front for her boyfriend Lee, IMO. My observations are that Mistie has had struggles in her life, and I doubt she would be capable of overseeing a sales operation from a distance at this time. JMO. I would also be concerned that she might be reluctant to part with the sales product.

Regardless: my first thoughts were that the blank pieces of paper were some sort of creepy signal that two 'problems' had been 'dealt with.' Like noir fiction from the turn of the last century, or pirates blackballing each other in Robert Louis Stevenson stories. After thinking about it and reading others' thoughts, I'm leaning toward the letters are related to one of the schemes suggested here instead of to Breezy and Riley.

The letters must have been opened. My speculation is that the chain letter (or fundraising letter/email) went from Linda/Mistie to friends and acquaintances, and the letters were incoming cash donations sent between the two pieces of paper. IMO, Mistie would have removed the cash immediately, then, for whatever reason, didn't dispose of the envelopes (or did and LE got them out of the rubbish). If there were any personal notes, those were also removed.

Oh, that's even a better racket. I could see the Church Ladies (your description is spot-on) contributing to that cause more than a chain mail scam. My guess is that the money actually went to the Wendover trip. As noted upthread, Bill/Wiliam Powell has been the mainstay in participating in search efforts and coordinating with Amanda (Breezy's aunt).

The vast majority of Linda's and Mistie's public FB posts are game notifications. I was struck by a public post from Amanda to Mistie's page trying to contact her about the missing couple. So sad.

Still, isn't it odd that TWO people sent two pieces of blank paper? Same exact way? One didn't think to fold up her paper in threes while slipping the money inside and the other maybe a card? They both just happened to send it the same way, like they're twins? I wonder how far away they live- they couldn't have brought the money over to their house?

I'm so sorry for asking this. I just don't remember reading anything about Breezy's parents recently- are they involved in the search? I could have sworn that Breezy's mother was angry at Riley's family in the beginning of this case, but I'm not up to speed with this case.

I'm so sorry for asking this. I just don't remember reading anything about Breezy's parents recently- are they involved in the search? I could have sworn that Breezy's mother was angry at Riley's family in the beginning of this case, but I'm not up to speed with this case.
I’ve read Breezys mother is deceased and no news of father. Her aunt is involved in the search.

Still, isn't it odd that TWO people sent two pieces of blank paper? Same exact way? One didn't think to fold up her paper in threes while slipping the money inside and the other maybe a card? They both just happened to send it the same way, like they're twins? I wonder how far away they live- they couldn't have brought the money over to their house?

Good observation!
I agree that it is an odd coincidence. Perhaps the result of instruction or both items being sent from the same party. Whether it's something sketchy or harmless, I'm not sure. All the ideas presented seem (in my opinion) plausible. Mistie seems the type who would think she could get rich via chain letter schemes or ask for handouts or donations, or more sketchy stuff....

Yes. That's why I thought the chain letter made sense because the examples I've seen spell out every step, including putting the cash between two blank pieces of paper. They go into great detail as to the mechanics to distract from the fact that you are sending people whom you don't know (very well) money. A non-official fundraising appeal might spell out a similar process. They live far enough away (1+ hours) that they wouldn't drive to deliver a small donation. If they were hitting up FB acquaintances for donations / chain letters, they might be people they haven't actually seen in years and probably don't want them showing up in person in Lofgreen (and vice versa).

I haven't ruled out anything more sinister. It would seem to be ridiculous to leave a literal paper trail as to Breezy & Riley's disappearance (and not quickly destroy said paper trail), but that doesn't mean they didn't do so. :notgood:

Regardless: my first thoughts were that the blank pieces of paper were some sort of creepy signal that two 'problems' had been 'dealt with.' Like noir fiction from the turn of the last century, or pirates blackballing each other in Robert Louis Stevenson stories. After thinking about it and reading others' thoughts, I'm leaning toward the letters are related to one of the schemes suggested here instead of to Breezy and Riley.

Too funny. I love noir and thought the same thing.

I'm sorry guys, but I have not heard of chain mail letters in at least the last 15 years, I think the chance it has anything to do with chain mail is less than .000001%, it just doesn't happen in 2018.

It is most likely either paper soaked with drugs (this is big in jails), a type of code, or privacy paper, I do this if I'm sending a letter or something in a non privacy envelope I wrap it up in blank paper.

I'm sorry guys, but I have not heard of chain mail letters in at least the last 15 years, I think the chance it has anything to do with chain mail is less than .000001%, it just doesn't happen in 2018.

It is most likely either paper soaked with drugs (this is big in jails), a type of code, or privacy paper, I do this if I'm sending a letter or something in a non privacy envelope I wrap it up in blank paper.

Ha, point taken. My response would be that if you want 60-yr-olds to send you money, good luck getting them to venmo - paypal - quickpay you. The only part that is snail mail is the cash part.

Ha, point taken. My response would be that if you want 60-yr-olds to send you money, good luck getting them to venmo - paypal - quickpay you. The only part that is snail mail is the cash part.
Hey I don't know what the answer is either, but I just can't see it being chain mail, unless it's some prison pen pal situation. That's just such a dated thing that it just doesn't make sense to me.

Chain letters still exist, however they have taken slightly different form.
For example: one that was going around on Facebook in 2015 & 2016: Secret Sisters Gift Exchange :facepalm:

www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/secret-sister-gift-exchange-scam-on-facebook-goes-viral/

The fact that you haven't heard of chainmail letters in 15 years is likely more the result of not interacting with the types of people who "fall" for those sorts of things and in turn, pester you with them vs chain letter pyramid schemes no longer existing. :wink:

Again, I have no idea if the two letters addressed to Mistie Carlson that were taken from the home were the result of a chain letter. I still am a bit suspicious about the other details (both postmarked on the same exact day from Provo vs Salt Lake City & West Valley)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amanda73
Back