UT - Ethan Stacy, 4, Layton, 10 May 2010 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, you can have posturing (flexion of the hands, extension of lower extremeties) with brain injury. It is called decorticate posturing and can progress to deceribrate posturing. It can affect one or both sides of the body and is a result of damage to the corticospinal tract which connects the brain to the spinal cord.

(((personally I do not see decorticate posturing in that picture...but not to say it is not possible... I just cannot see enough of the arm.... and usually with the flexion the arm will also be drawn up on the chest)))

decerebrate posturing involves the arms and legs being extended (not flexed) and the head hyperextends. This posturing can occur with brain bleeds, stroke, other insults to the brain

(((I do not see decerebrate posturing at all)))

Hope that helps and I was able to put it in terms that are easy to understand.
I don't see any posturing either, not to say it didn't occur as his injuries grew worse. Which makes me wonder... if someone has been abnormally posturing before death, does rigor involve the extremities quicker than would normally occur? The sources I found said 'cold and stiff' = 8 to 36 hours post-mortem. I wonder if that timeframe is shortened with severe brain injury resulting in posturing?

I haven't finished getting completely caught up yet with this thread this morning, but I had a thought that I wanted to post before I forget.

What if... the reason SS was taking the pictures was to try to frame JS for this. In my mind, this could be an explanation for a lot of things: Her statement in one of the news articles (I don't remember which one and I don't remember who said it) about not returning him to JS, the statements on their wedding page referring to exes, the fact that the abuse happened so quickly, the constant taking of pictures for documentation, the reason why the FBI is brought in for digital media, etc.

I think it is possible as one scenario that she and NS began this abuse immediately with the "plan" to claim that Ethan showed up at their house this way. If this is the case, it is possible that she tried to change dates on photos, etc. which would again explain the reason for the FBI getting involved. They may even have discussed this "plan" online, through email or texts. Also if this is the case, she wouldn't have planned on this going as far as it did. She might have just figured they would make it look bad enough that she could get custody or get Joe in trouble. At some point though, she realized that it went too far or they couldn't pull it off and that is when they had to start covering their tracks. JMOO

BBM
Regarding the framing: I wondered the same thing. How about Steph framing Nate? I can see her using extortion to get money. Wonder if there are any wealthy people in Nate's family?
Also, BeanE mentioned she may have plans to sell the pics to some pervert. She was in Las Vegas and maybe met some pervert. However, if that's the case, I don't know why she would post that pic on facebook? moo

While I can't see everything in the photo that you guys are seeing, what I am seeing with my own eyes is enough for me to know that this precious little boy suffered beyond what anyone of us could imagine especially if this was taken around the time that the beatings started. It's sickening and all I can say again is my favorite saying which is hell isn't hot enough for either of them. I know how this has made us all feel seeing this photo but can you imagine for one minute what his father must be feeling? It's like I say everytime we come across one of these cases it seems each one gets worse than the last.

I also do not see him wearing his glasses, in the photo.

I also do not see him wearing his glasses, in the photo.

He is. They are skewed and don't fit properly because of the swelling, and possibly were broken when Ethan was beaten.

Ruby, I see the glasses, but I really can't make out the hand...some say they see Nate holding Ethan's hand to the controller, and I kind of see his right hand in a fist...but I'm not really sure what I am looking at there. The things that are absolutely clear are the shape/formation of his mouth (in an "O", bottom lip very much protruding) and various discoloration and swelling. His eyes really do not appear to be looking at anything. They probably wrapped him in blankets so he wouldn't soil the couch (might explain why that is barely dressed and unzipped...just got done cleaning things up for the picture). I actually did find a comparable picture to compare with and did it up in PS. However, it seems kind of wrong to put a happy picture of Ethan side-by-side with the one from the cell phone. I think that bothered me more than anything else. It really drives home how wrong this whole sordid mess is.

The basics are that Meth can cause schizophrenic (psychotic) like symptoms - paranoia and a delusional state. Extremely addictive and tolerance develops fast causing drug seeking behavior that takes priority over everything else. Obtaining and consuming meth becomes the number 1 priority. Stimulates the central nervous system and can alter the brain functioning permanently. All the ingredients necessary to make meth can be bought at the pharmacy, hardware store, and convenience store. All over the net there are recipes for meth. using drano, brake fluid and other poisonous ingredients.
Regarding knowing right from wrong: Utah does not have the insanity defense, so don't worry, that can't be used. IF meth was involved, the two made a choice to use it - and that's what matters. moo

Thanks for the info and so glad to hear this. That is exactly what I was worried about, that if she was taking meth or any drug, she would use this as an excuse for her behaviours and accountablility, not only her role in the abuse the but the fact she helped hide his body. (moo)

I think Ethan is holding his mouth in an "O" position because it is probably the least painful for him considering the swelling and possible dislocation of his jaw!!:furious:

I don't see the "O"....I see a mouth that can't close because the lips are too swollen.

Adrienne37 - While I can't see everything in the photo that you guys are seeing, what I am seeing with my own eyes is enough for me to know that this precious little boy suffered beyond what anyone of us could imagine especially if this was taken around the time that the beatings started.
BBM

Whatever we all are seeing, I believe that my bold says it all...God. What he must have gone through AFTER this pic.

I too, seem to be EXTREMELY effected by this case...Fly with the angels Ethan...

I see his glasses in the photo but they look like they aren't quite fitting correctly.

Okay, Thanks. How much worse can these photos get? He needed medical attention asap, and she is up loading pics to facebook. WTH

Time-line for Ethan Stacy 4yo.

WARNING: GRAPHIC AND DISTURBING.
revision (05/18/10 - eyes4crime & wonderful fellow sleuthers)

April 28th - Wednesday
Divorce papers finalized in Florida, Ethan and mom Stephanie fly to Utah

May 4th - Tuesday
..Last time Ethan talks with dad Joe
..Posted on Face Book, the first of 17 cell phone pictures & videos mom takes of abuse over the days.
..Picture time-stamped May 4th of Ethan with large, notable, area of swelling to jaw and face.

May5th - Wednesday
..Nate's mom sees son Nate, Ethan, and Stephanie - says all is fine (specific meeting place not mentioned).
..Stephanie visits Nate's mom.
..Nate takes Ethan in bedroom to punish and beats child around head area; face begins to swell.
..Stephanie continues to complain about Ethan's behavior.
.. Ethan's father, Joe Stacy, was told his son wasn't available to talk, a trend that continues through Ethan's limited stay.

May 5th - May 8th
Ethan "exhibits signs and symptoms of a possible head injury or brain swelling due to a head injury,"

Stephanie Sloop told police Tuesday while being interviewed about her son's death: Ethan did not eat well, was vomiting, lethargic and exhibited non-responsive behavior, according to the reports.

May 6th - Thursday (wedding day)
Ethan locked in bedroom while Stephanie and Nate marry; door knob taken off. Nate and Stephanie leave child in bedroom due to swelling and bruises.

From Warrant of Probable Cause:
Over the next several days, Ethan got progressively ill, police said Stephanie Sloop told detectives. He was vomiting, running a fever and would not eat. The couple forced the boy to drink two 16 oz. bottles of water, a bottle of KoolAid and orange juice in a two-hour period, police wrote in the jail statement. (from warrant of probable cause). Motrin and Benadryl were given for the swelling and Nate gave Benadryl so Ethan would stay quiet.

Thursday, May 6 or Friday, May 7:
Neighbor recalls seeing Stephanie walking away from the apartment seemingly agitated and stopping to look back at the apartment several times. A short time later Nathan followed her, put his hands on her face in a manner leading the neighbor to believe he was asking she please listen to him.

May 7th, Friday
Three nights before Stephanie and her new husband, Nathan Sloop, reported Ethan missing, Jones said Stephanie left a series of frantic voice messages.
Related:

"She left crying, messages while she was crying, 'Ethan, he's crying. He won't stop crying. He wants his mommy. I don't know what to do. Please, please, call me. I don't know how to handle it. I don't know what to do,'" Jones said.

The final message, she now believes, may have come after Ethan died.

"It was absolutely hysterical, sobbing to where I couldn't understand what she was saying," Jones said. "if I had to look deep into my heart, yeah, I would probably have to say that Ethan probably was dead, if not close to being dead at that point. And it was her grief reaching out."

May 7th - Friday
..Stephanie, while shopping at Walmart, receives a cell phone call from Nate informing her Ethan is badly burned on hands, feet, and legs up to buttox area from running water in bath (claims Ethan turned on hot water).
..Stephanie returns to find human feces in child's mouth.
..In attempt to remove feces, Stephanie brushes Ethan's teeth until his gums bleed.

May 8th - Saturday
..Found smeared feces on bathroom wall and on Nate.
..Found feces in mouth and again brushed teeth.
..Notices Ethan's lips bleeding.
.. Blood and vomit found in child's bed.
..Stephanie needs to wash bed sheets due to blood and vomit from Ethan's mouth.

May 9th - Sunday (Mother's Day)
.. 5:00am - Stephanie makes trip to Walgreens to pick up RX.
..5:30am - Returns from store and told by Nate Ethan is dead
..Stephanie finds Ethan dead in bed - reports Ethan feels cold and stiff, and without pulse.

..Stephanie attempts CPR to no avail
...Stephanie goes to bed

Ethan is wrapped in plastic garbage bags and taped, brought to Powder Mountain area for burial. Hammer used to disfigure facial features and teeth of Ethan.
Stephanie goes on errand purchasing 2 slushies and 2 cans lighter fluid to destroy evidence.

May 10th (Monday)
..Reported that Nate and Stephanie were shopping at Best Buy for video games and to fix Play Station 3
..Ethan's father calls and talks with Nate rather than Stephanie
..11:55pm - Stephanie reports Ethan missing
...Tells police a made up story about Ethan leaving the apt. 5x over the last 4 nights.

May 11th (Tuesday)
LE finds child buried - teeth and face smashed in with hammer, lighter fluid used to destroy evidence.

Please let me know of any additions or deletions. TIA
Thanks to all of you with suggestions for additions/corrections - used every one of them.

Warrant of Probable Cause: Most of the time-line comes from Probable Cause document. Quotes, LE media leases

NATHAN
http://connect2utah.com/images/Mult...x/pdf/2010_05/Probable Cause Nathan Sloop.pdf

STEPHANIE
http://connect2utah.com/images/Mult.../2010_05/Probable Cause Stephanie C Sloop.pdf

Fellow sleuthers - please continue to let me know of updates, new information, corrections. Thanks for all your help!

Somewhat OT.
Glendale Heights man admits setting his 2 sons on fire.
Kaushik Patel pleads guilty to murder, gets life in prison.

From the article:
Patel, 36, pleaded guilty to murder after DuPage County prosecutors agreed not to seek the death penalty in the killings of his sons, Vishv, 7, and Om, 4.
Both boys suffered severe burns that hospitalized them for several months before they died.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2287370,glendale-heights-man-admits-killing-sons-051810.article

BBM. This is precisely why I think the DA would offer a plea to both SS and NS if they pled guilty and were spared their life. I would too, if it spared going through the details of a trial along with the tax payers money....

For Joes sake, as well as the rest of Ethans paternal family, I almost hope they offer SS and NS a deal like this, they take it and are locked up for life.

JMO

I see the links for the two warrants aren't working - would anyone have the two links handy so I can insert into the time-line? Thanks!

Muffet, I thought about this... but his mouth just looks unnatural. If you look at the "before" pics his face and lips are very petite... I just don't think his face is capable of naturally making that shape.

I agree....
IMO that is not a picture of a boy playing a video game.

I've just heard about this one and read through this thread. sick to my very soul.

fighting down nausea, choking on tears, I didnt think anything I ever read would truly change my mind on the DP for good.

poor little angel. how his poor father must feel.

Has there been any discussion of "Frank" mentioned in the probable cause statements? It is stated that "Frank" helped with the burial. I can't seem to find it mentioned much.

If you save the image to your desktop it will open in windows picture and fax viewer when you click on it. You can then zoom in on his face. Warning,It is very disturbing.

OK, you warned us, but man i wish i wouldn't have done that...wow...so much more detail and so much worse that the screencap looks (not that even the grainiest photo looks good)...this sweet baby...my heart just breaks for him.

LE later "cleared" Frank. Sounds like he does exist, but was not involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghosty_gal