UT - Kouri Richins, 33, Author, wife, mom, charged in husband’s “unexpected” death last year, May 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
O/T there is another book with same title Are You With Me?
Curious it got by… doesn’t that fall under infringement? Seems publisher would catch that.

Anyway, as they say she has bigger fish to fry.
moo
I actually wondered right off the bat if she actually authored the book. If someone presents herself as 180 degrees other than what she is, I start looking for fakeries in other areas of her life, including publications.

She spent at least 1800 whole dollars in fentanyl because her husband didn't want to sign on that stupid mansion that nobody wanted. Nobody normal spends $900 on fentanyl TWICE. How did the dealer not even raise a brow over it? It's Utah, not Los Angeles.

It's pretty obvious that the person who contacted Kouri with the dealer struck some sort of deal in order to not get into much trouble and that's why she ratted her out immediately after being brought in for questioning.

She was dumb from day one though, why would she tell LE right away that she was the one who made him the drink? Did she not realize that they would check what was in the drink? Did she not think they wouldn't snoop around to see where that insane amount of fentanyl came from? Come on lol.
SBM

Street drug dealers tend to not concern themselves with the reasons why a buyer wants a drug. If they are willing and able to pay for it, that's what counts.

Regarding why she told LE what she did, you have to remember you aren't dealing with a normal person here. She strikes as a narcissist who believes she's smarter than everyone else - MOO of course.

Is she the only source of that info, though?

Or, maybe he didn't know he was drinking vodka?

The smell and taste of alcohol is pretty unique. I think even a tea-totaler would recognize it immediately.

In any case, I don't think it matters what the drink was. She could have just as easily mixed it into a diet Sprite or a hot cocoa. Anything with a strong taste that masks the flavor of the drugs.

The smell and taste of alcohol is pretty unique. I think even a tea-totaler would recognize it immediately.

In any case, I don't think it matters what the drink was. She could have just as easily mixed it into a diet Sprite or a hot cocoa. Anything with a strong taste that masks the flavor of the drugs.
I think vodka doesn't smell, and it would have enhanced the effect of a drug.

Utah has a big problems with opioids.

Utahns die each week from drug overdose; seven of which are a result of opioids; four due to prescription opioids, and two due to fentanyl specifically. Utah is particularly affected by prescription opioids, which are responsible for 38% of the unintentional and undetermined drug poisoning deaths in the state, although illicit opioids, specifically fentanyl, are increasing more rapidly.
My recent experience pulling up the court hearing for KR seems to prove true per the number of drug cases on the docket-- and this was just in Summit County.

Or he did previously have a drug problem which was why she decided to poison him because she thought she it wouldn't look "suspicious" if he died via a drug overdose.
No prior drug issues per the spokesperson here:

I think vodka doesn't smell, and it would have enhanced the effect of a drug.
This isn't true at all. There is a distinct odor of ethanol in any spiritous beverage, including vodka. Now, I suppose if you buried it with a mixer, it may be hard to pick out. But in any normal proportion you'd use for a mixed drink / cocktail you can definitely smell and taste it.

Usually when people say that vodka doesn't smell they mean that it's harder to detect on your breath vs. beer, whiskey, etc.

Kouri Darden Richins is a Utah mother of three and author of a children’s book on grieving who is accused of fatally poisoning her husband, Eric Richins, with fentanyl that authorities say was slipped into a Moscow Mule drink, according to court records.

Kouri Richins, 33, was charged on May 9, 2023, with aggravated murder, a first-degree felony, and three counts of second-degree felony possession with intent to distribute a controlled substance, according to a Summit County, Utah, court docket. She is scheduled to make her first court appearance on May 19, 2023, for a detention hearing, records show.

Eric Richins died on March 4, 2022, at the age of 39, according to his obituary, which says he “made his last extravagant and largely unexpected gesture on March 4, 2022, signing off on a life, in his own words, ‘lived to the fullest and with few regrets.'” According to KPCW, the Richins family “is one of the oldest and largest in Summit County,” Utah. “A notable member was Sheldon Richins, for whom Summit County’s Richins Building in Kimball Junction is named.”

The Summit County court docket lists the date of the murder charge as March 3, 2022, with the drug-charge dates as January 1, 2022; February 11, 2022; and February 26, 2022.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that this perp had a party the day after she killed him. :eek:

Somewhat surprised it took so long to charge her, but I'd imagine LE were building their case carefully.
Imo they have a strong case and wouldn't have proceeded without an ample amount of evidence !

You really can't make this stuff up. moo

Kouri Richins claims they were celebrating buying the home in March last year when her husband died from a massive overdose of fentanyl as their three kids slept upstairs.

However, the dead man’s family told investigators that he planned to tell his wife they were not buying the mansion — on the same day she was also told she was being cut out of Eric’s will, the warrants said.

Kouri Richins closed her $2 million deal to buy the estate on March 5 last year — the day after her husband died, the records show.

In case anyone is wondering what exactly is in a Moscow Mule:

· Vodka: Moscow mules are traditionally made with vodka.
· Lime: You'll need the juice for the drink and a wedge for garnish.
· Ice: Moscow mules are cold served over ice.
· Ginger beer: Not to be confused with ginger ale!

From All Recipes.

I'm guessing ginger beer is not something most people have on hand unless they are specifically planning on making Moscow Mules or they have rather esoteric taste in beverages. I wonder if she used a premixed cocktail, may or may not need to add the vodka? Not that I suppose it matters, just curious.

It's kind of weirdly specific, what type of cocktail she gave him vs, I made him a drink. Did she also have a cocktail with him? I don't remember if that's been mentioned.

What did she do to win back his trust after he suspected her of poisoning him previously? If I thought someone posioned me, and I found out they changed my will, to their favor, I think I would be very wary of accepting food or drink from them. Not trying to victim blame, but wondering what she did to convince him she was no longer trying to poison him and wasn't a threat?

Also, am I missing something? What does Lularoe have to do with this?

MOO

I guess the drug dealer is believable.
They just needed to put the fentanyl in KR's hands. IMO, authorities already had evidence of communication between KR and CL and knew CL had access to narcotics per her priors. Seems to me they were waiting on CL's cooperation as a witness given KR was arrested less than a week after interviewing CL.

Daily Mail article named KR’s defense attorney as Skye Lozaro.
Here she is on the news discussing the Vallow case on Tuesday May 9th.

At 1:35

BBM. I don't recall reading about the vacation in Greece.

In search warrants obtained by KSL.com and KPCW radio, family members interviewed by investigators indicate that Eric Richins was seeking to divorce Kouri and had recently changed his will and life insurance policy. One of Richins' sisters told officers that Eric had long suspected his wife of attempting to poison him, including on a vacation to Greece several years ago. The warrants describe conflict between the couple over a $2 million home that Kouri purchased with the aim to resell it quickly despite the objections from her husband based on the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper