Found Deceased UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still worry about the driver. Are we a 100% certain he/she is cleared definitively?
https://ksltv.com/416583/police-mis...d-after-being-dropped-off-in-north-salt-lake/
Salt Lake City police have talked with the driver, who they said was cooperative.They said the driver is not under investigation.

MacKenzie Lueck Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com
The driver is, “not a suspect at this time,” Shearer told the Deseret News. Police said they have no reason to doubt his story and have confirmed he took customers on rides after dropping Lueck off at the park.

Police: Missing University of Utah student was dropped off at park in North Salt Lake
Officials say the Lyft driver has been cleared of any wrongdoing.

I am seeing a lot of talk about her phone being "turned off." Can a distinction be made between turned off vs off due to depleted battery?

They (LE) would be able to tell the difference between turned off and depleted battery once they have access to her phone records.

MOO: but based on empirical evidence and professional experience (still waiting on being verified, just applied to be last night)

I am feeling badly for all who know and love ML but my heart breaks for her sorority sisters- I am sure this has been so hard on them particularly if they had called her phone when she had not arrived home and found it turned off- easy to assume she met up with someone is busy and doesn't want to be bothered by a phone call and I totally understand them not wanting to alert her parents- what in the world would they say? She went on a date or met up with someone she knows or may not know and never came home- it just opens up pandoras box trying to explain without facts. I am hopeful for a positive outcome but if there is not one these poor sorority sisters will have such remorse and live with the coulda woulda shouldas- nothing I wish on anyone!!! Prayers for ML her sisters her family and all who know and care for her!!!
The sorority or roommates or friends likely could not have made a difference if they had shouted to the rooftops the next morning right when they woke up...likely too late at that point. They have been doing all the could/can. They should not feel bad. They probably do, but they shouldn't.

Is there any chance of any of the following: **PURE SPECULATION MOO**

ML found out she was pregnant and told the guy while she was in CA and they met up to talk about it and things went very poorly?

OR

ML was feeling unnoticed or not important or not cared about and decided to disappear for a day or two to get people to worry and give her some attention, and nobody reported her missing for what? 4 days? Which didn’t help matters since nobody noticed she was gone, so now she just hiding out like eff you all?

OR

She meant to just hide out with a guy for a bit and she didn’t expect anyone to care. But now that everyone is looking at her and her personal life is being dissected she is just too embarrassed to come back?

These are all just speculative questions and are not facts or even rumors, just ideas.

The pregnancy idea would totally be a plausible possibility, given the nature of the meet-up in such strange circumstances

I’m trying to think back with the Kelsey Berreth case, how long after she was reported missing did we see the Safeway surveillance footage?

Though in that case, there was a known (unofficial) POI early on, perhaps with the unknown nature of this “meet up” person, LE will be slower to release certain evidence?

I don’t know, but I hope the slow release of info., doesn’t hurt the investigation (fading of witness memories, area surveillance footage self deleting etc.) MOO

There’s a reasonable chance they don’t need much public help here.

The answer to this mystery lies within her social media, phone records, and dating apps.

I think that’s how this person will be identified, and this whole mystery solved.

Hopefully they’ve made progress with those warrants.

First post here just found the site following the case because I'm doing CPE today and this is more entertaining than that.

My feeling is that girls (and guys) look for validation/affection on these online dating apps/social media due to various insecurities/shyness. I'm 28m and had a tinder in college and never would've hurt anyone but if there is one thing I know is that some guys are so desperate that those sites can easily be taken advantage of to prey on vulnerable girls looking for validation/attention from anywhere. The thing about online is it is easy to be confident and charming when you're behind a screen. When you're in a vulnerable state such as she must've been with the loss of a family member and the stresses with school it just feels good to get attention and compliments which can cloud your judgement to the point you don't see anything unusual about sketchy situations.

My top 2 theories:

1: She was talking to someone off of one of these sites, maybe even met them once before and he made her feel good about herself. Going through a tough time and not really wanting to talk to anyone maybe she was just seeking a little attention and this guy whom she'd been talking too really wanted to cheer her up. He had seemed really sweet in the past and had been communicating his condolences the entire weekend during the funeral and told her he had a special surprise for her when she got back. Maybe they hadn't gotten physical before and the guy took it as an opportunity, she rejected his advances not realizing this is what he wanted, guy loses his mind and takes matter into his own hands.

2. The older man theory or a forbidden relationship theory is really interesting here. She could have had a relationship with a teacher, professional, or any married man such as a doctor whom she had previously worked with (would line up with the weird hour meet up/availability). They meet up and initially things go well per usual and then a conflict arises such as a threat to the man's wife finding out, pregnancy, etc. and the guy has to tie up a loose end to avoid being outed.

Either way I hope she is found safe but at this point from all I've read I HIGHLY doubt she ran away. Best case scenario she's being held somewhere against her will. Prayers for her and the family and I really hope more girls take the time to go through precautions (telling 1 trusted friend or something about their plans) when using online dating platforms. I have 2 little sisters and can't imagine what the family is going through. Seeing way too much of this kind of stuff lately... scary/sad world we live in. Thoughts and Prayers that Kenzie is found safe.

Forgive me. I am trying desperately to keep up with this thread, but I missed where this clothing description is coming from. Can someone please fill me in? Thank you.

I believe the clothing description came from her parents as friends were printing flyers, posters, etc.

There's been no formal confirmation what ML was wearing when last seen at Hatch Park.

MOO

ok, my sleuthing led me to download the Venmo app. Her profile is public. She paid someone 9d ago. It doesn’t say the exact time. She has paid this person before. This person only has 4 other friends. Do we think LE knows this?
SLCPD set up a dedicated tip line specifically for ML, case 19-111129. Please call 801-799-4420 with any information.

Welcome to Websleuths, @Cyclones22mv! :) Great first post.

ok, my sleuthing led me to download the Venmo app. Her profile is public. She paid someone 9d ago. It doesn’t say the exact time. She has paid this person before. This person only has 4 other friends. Do we think LE knows this?

It's always good to call just in case LE hasn't seen it. The tip line is: 801-799-4420.

This is what is so frustrating with that amendment. Most of the time, I am in agreement with it for obvious reasons.

Yet, when we have women and men going missing, and it's out of character for them to do this, it's frustrating that the First Amendment works against LE like this. Their hands are tied completely until the judge approves, which can cost precious time. Even when LE knows in their hearts that something sinister happened to the missing person, they have to wait for valuable information to come to them, before their next step in investigating.

It's a great amendment, but it was never meant for purposes like this, know what I mean? Yes, we all have a right to privacy and I wholeheartedly feel we deserve that right of protection of privacy. Yet times like this, I am sure LE is ready to pull their hair out, and most especially, loved ones and friends on the sideline, with the constant worry and fear on their shoulders, just waiting........

Ugh.
Yesterday while reading this thread, I was thinking there must be some way to override the waiting period and privacy laws, like maybe a person can sign a waiver and have it on file in their local jurisdiction in case they go missing, no phone or bank activity, have not contacted certain loved ones etc. It just seems so counterproductive and wrong that "privacy" outweighs safety and common sense. Can you imagine being a victim, being held and terrified out of your mind, and all the police had to do is look at your latest text or email to find and rescue you, but can't or won't due to these laws? There has to be a way to give your consent preemptively, similar to advance directives. MOO.

There’s a reasonable chance they don’t need much public help here.

The answer to this mystery lies within her social media, phone records, and dating apps.

I think that’s how this person will be identified, and this whole mystery solved.

Hopefully they’ve made progress with those warrants.
Yes, I definitely don’t get the sense they need the public’s help. Hopefully that’s a good sign that they are making more progress than we’re aware of.

I wonder if the park has lights? I did quick google map street view glance and it doesn't appear that the parking lot does, which could explain why the car make & model and person's description wasn't of profound remembrance. If the Lyft driver wasn't really paying attention to these details, as well as it being pitch black out, I could see how these details went unnoticed. Of course, as you mentioned, I am sure LE is purposely withholding pertinent details.
You have to really feel for this Lyft driver. They pick up and drop off passengers, trying to make some side money to pay the bills. Then something like this happens, and naturally, folks assume they were the last person known with someone like Kenzie and it raises their suspicions.

I know of a couple of people that do Lyft and Uber. On their phones, they have a right to choose who they pick up and given the time of pick up- they do not see the name of the passenger. The last I knew, they did not know the person's destination until they got in the car (two months ago, this was the case)- that was frustrating for someone I know that does it, because he was at the end of his shift, and noticed someone was waiting for a ride for a bit, so he figured he would do it. Well, once they got in the car, he found out their destination was an hour and a half away- he was committed to it, so he had to complete the ride. By the way, they don't get reimbursed for the gas money, which I think is terrible if a passenger is going that far away, the least those driver places could do is reimburse them for the return trip for the gas.

Once they get to their destination, the Lyft/Uber driver signs off once the passenger is out of the car, and they either go to the next destination for another passenger or sign off for the night.

I don't know if this information helps with others questions about how Lyft/Uber works, but figured I would discuss this, to clear up any confusion as to how they work.

Oh, I don't know....To grab headlines, maybe?

Never underestimate the media's appetite for sensationalizing a story.

This story is sensational enough: it doesn't require any titillating, bombastic flourishes by MSM.

JMO.
I think this story is gonna get much more "news sensational" before it is over. I just hope she is still safe.....moo

Yes, I definitely don’t get the sense they need the public’s help. Hopefully that’s a good sign that they are making more progress than we’re aware of.

I think early on they did, as they were waiting on warrants.

Today’s presser will be a huge sign of where this investigation is.

The more they release, the less they may have to go on.

It’s rare that I hope a press conference doesn’t reveal much, but this may be one of those times.

Not sure what this is in reference to but I have no doubt that LE is looking into all aspects of her SM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela