Found Deceased UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, my sleuthing led me to download the Venmo app. Her profile is public. She paid someone 9d ago. It doesn’t say the exact time. She has paid this person before. This person only has 4 other friends. Do we think LE knows this?

The person she seems to pay every month for internet, and she is also friends with this person on Facebook, so I would guess it just a roommate that takes care of the internet bill.

https://ksltv.com/416583/police-mis...d-after-being-dropped-off-in-north-salt-lake/
Salt Lake City police have talked with the driver, who they said was cooperative.They said the driver is not under investigation.

MacKenzie Lueck Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com
The driver is, “not a suspect at this time,” Shearer told the Deseret News. Police said they have no reason to doubt his story and have confirmed he took customers on rides after dropping Lueck off at the park.

Police: Missing University of Utah student was dropped off at park in North Salt Lake
Officials say the Lyft driver has been cleared of any wrongdoing.

Pommy, maybe you can just make that your signature? :p

Catching up as usual here, threads are moving quickly.

I’m seeing upstream in a few posts about a Lyft driver being able to change a passenger’s destination? I don’t believe this to be true. If somebody can prove this to be true, please let me know because I have never heard of this. I mean, I imagine anything is possible when it comes to computers...

ETA:
Additionally, it was stated upstream that Kenzie arrived at her destination which was “originally” entered.

Last edited:
Absolutely agree. I am Kenzie's age and leggings and a t-shirt to me do not indicate I am going to see someone I am romantically interested in UNLESS I am really comfortable with them and I don't feel the need to get dressed up. Kenzie was into fashion and had lots of cute clothes so this seems very underwhelming if this was a new love interest. Although there has been speculation that maybe she changed at the airport? So maybe it's not the outfit she left the airport in.
Or, when she dressed for the flight, the plans to meet “mystery person” were not yet made.

Ok, something that has bugged me from the start, so to speak.

From various posts, her residence to this park- I have seen from 12 minutes to 20 minutes away from her home? Is that correct?

I don't understand why she didn't go straight home, drop off her luggage, and drive herself to meet that person.

Of course, we can assume that this person was probably going to drop her off later on, or she thought so, at least.

Also, speaking of why she didn't go to her residence- why didn't this person pick her up at her residence instead, after she dropped off her luggage?
Possibly because she wanted to meet at the Park ?....moo

First post here just found the site following the case because I'm doing CPE today and this is more entertaining than that.

My feeling is that girls (and guys) look for validation/affection on these online dating apps/social media due to various insecurities/shyness. I'm 28m and had a tinder in college and never would've hurt anyone but if there is one thing I know is that some guys are so desperate that those sites can easily be taken advantage of to prey on vulnerable girls looking for validation/attention from anywhere. The thing about online is it is easy to be confident and charming when you're behind a screen. When you're in a vulnerable state such as she must've been with the loss of a family member and the stresses with school it just feels good to get attention and compliments which can cloud your judgement to the point you don't see anything unusual about sketchy situations.

My top 2 theories:

1: She was talking to someone off of one of these sites, maybe even met them once before and he made her feel good about herself. Going through a tough time and not really wanting to talk to anyone maybe she was just seeking a little attention and this guy whom she'd been talking too really wanted to cheer her up. He had seemed really sweet in the past and had been communicating his condolences the entire weekend during the funeral and told her he had a special surprise for her when she got back. Maybe they hadn't gotten physical before and the guy took it as an opportunity, she rejected his advances not realizing this is what he wanted, guy loses his mind and takes matter into his own hands.

2. The older man theory or a forbidden relationship theory is really interesting here. She could have had a relationship with a teacher, professional, or any married man such as a doctor whom she had previously worked with (would line up with the weird hour meet up/availability). They meet up and initially things go well per usual and then a conflict arises such as a threat to the man's wife finding out, pregnancy, etc. and the guy has to tie up a loose end to avoid being outed.

Either way I hope she is found safe but at this point from all I've read I HIGHLY doubt she ran away. Best case scenario she's being held somewhere against her will. Prayers for her and the family and I really hope more girls take the time to go through precautions (telling 1 trusted friend or something about their plans) when using online dating platforms. I have 2 little sisters and can't imagine what the family is going through. Seeing way too much of this kind of stuff lately... scary/sad world we live in. Thoughts and Prayers that Kenzie is found safe.
Totally agree. These seem like the most likely possibilities to me as well. Looking into the doctors she worked with in the past would make sense since many probably live in the gated golf course community just up the street from Hatch Park. If they worked together that would be a reason for her to keep that relationship from her friends and family.

I am feeling badly for all who know and love ML but my heart breaks for her sorority sisters- I am sure this has been so hard on them particularly if they had called her phone when she had not arrived home and found it turned off- easy to assume she met up with someone is busy and doesn't want to be bothered by a phone call and I totally understand them not wanting to alert her parents- what in the world would they say? She went on a date or met up with someone she knows or may not know and never came home- it just opens up pandoras box trying to explain without facts. I am hopeful for a positive outcome but if there is not one these poor sorority sisters will have such remorse and live with the coulda woulda shouldas- nothing I wish on anyone!!! Prayers for ML her sisters her family and all who know and care for her!!!

Agree and have thought the same. You don't want to betray your friend but you are also worried about her. Such a sticky situation of how long do I wait before throwing up the red flag? I guess, if I were ever in this situation, I'd rationalize my actions by hoping my friend would get over / forgive me for exposing her secrets, if found safely; however, if I withheld info from her parents or LE, that could be helpful, and she was found harmed or worse, I could never forgive myself for not speaking up sooner and expediting the search. Safety trumps secrets?!

I don't believe they have her phone.

I believe they are trying to subpoena the records her phone carrier has. As she is not yet determined to be the victim of a crime, it may be a legal issue for LE to get someone's phone records without their permission if a crime has not been committed.

I see the First Amendment issues in this problem

That's the fourth amendment. The right to privacy, security in our homes and persons and effects. The right to due process of law. Etc.

The Venmo app shows recurring payments to that person next to a computer icon. Maybe she bought a computer from him/her and was paying it off? Or maybe it was because they share an internet bill? Any chance this person is one of her roommates?
Looks like a bank to me, but I've never used Venmo so not sure you'd make a payment to a bank using it.

jmo

SLCPD set up a dedicated tip line specifically for ML, case 19-111129. Please call 801-799-4420 with any information.

Welcome to Websleuths, @Cyclones22mv! :) Great first post.
Done
It's always good to call just in case LE hasn't seen it. The tip line is: 801-799-4420.
thx! I called it in.

The Venmo app thing is solid sleuthing, nice job. 9 days ago - the day before she went missing, right? Or the day of?
I am guessing the day. No time stamp. Just 9d
I definitely think you should send this to LE.
i did

What is the amount? Small change or something more?
it doesn’t say? Maybe I don’t know how to see that?

The person she seems to pay every month for internet, and she is also friends with this person on Facebook, so I would guess it just a roommate that takes care of the internet bill.
You can put any icon you want there. It doesn’t mean it’s for internet.
The Venmo app shows recurring payments to that person next to a computer icon. Maybe she bought a computer from him/her and was paying it off? Or maybe it was because they share an internet bill? Any chance this person is one of her roommates?
Nah, user controls icons. Most would hide nefarious payments... drugs. Common to pay this way though.

I called it in. The person said “if it’s public, I’m sure they have but I’ll forward to investigators.

ok, my sleuthing led me to download the Venmo app. Her profile is public. She paid someone 9d ago. It doesn’t say the exact time. She has paid this person before. This person only has 4 other friends. Do we think LE knows this?
we use venmo to pay uber, split checks, etc. she may have paid her lyft with it - timing sounds right - although if family didn't take her to the airport for her outbound flight - venmo could have been used to pay that transportation. LE needs a warrant for venmo so I would call it in.

I have seen Venmo mentioned twice now. Would someone be kind to tell me what it that is? Thanks!

Agree and have thought the same. You don't want to betray your friend but you are also worried about her. Such a sticky situation of how long do I wait before throwing up the red flag? I guess, if I were ever in this situation, I'd rationalize my actions by hoping my friend would get over / forgive me for exposing her secrets, if found safely; however, if I withheld info from her parents or LE, that could be helpful, and she was found harmed or worse, I could never forgive myself for not speaking up sooner and expediting the search. Safety trumps secrets?!
BBM Always. MOO

Correct about always letting someone know where you're going to be @yellowmoose .
That's what they teach in safety classes and at foundations like Help Save The Next Girl. (In memory of Morgan Harrington.)
I have loyal friends who have all my passwords and personal info.
We all need to apply the buddy system at any age.
Chi
I agree 100%...heck, I'm an old woman - and even if I am going to buy something from someone on Craigslist, etc...I always tell someone where I am going, etc. Something good can always take a turn for the bad. Also - Chi...I am glad to see you here and enjoy your posts. jmo...

Is this post against WS rules ? You just outed a complete stranger with possibly nothing to do with this case, on this large forum.....This is getting ridiculous..........mooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

We post links to missing people's social accounts all the time. I don't see this as any different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela