UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's still hope someone will find Susan out there. It'll probably be someone not actively searching. There's nothing wrong with people expecting a young mother to be located after having to see her husband slink away with the kids to another state. We just all care that Susan be found, and the person who did it be behind bars.

I hope the boys are comforted in their dreams, and are being allowed to share their feelings about missing their Mom. It would be harmful to suppress them from talking about her, but the longer she's missing, the harder it is going to be on those children.

I never knew Drew Peterson's lawyer was "looking" in Asia. This blog is ridiculous.

If my husband were missing, I would be out every day looking, no matter what the conditions. People would have to hold me back. And you can BET that I would NEVER pack up and leave the state!!!! It was only a little over a month that he moved, right? So if there is hope she is alive, how is moving out of the state going to help at all?

I know we have no proof, but come on people! It is so obvious he is not telling the truth. Whether premeditated or an accident, he definitely had something to do with her disappearance. Gah - I am just frustrated with all of this. Those poor boys!

I know the majority of you have your set opinions on why you think people are or are not searching and that is fine. Just putting some facts out there in case anyone wants to know...

The police ARE in fact doing physical searches. Susan's father Chuck Cox and anyone close to Susan has NEVER once asked anyone NOT to search. They have only asked that it is coordinated with police. They themselves are not organizing a large group search because they have no clue as to where to look. And they would rather use their energy, time, and resources in other ways until they know where to look. On the facebook group, they have discussions where people can post that they are ready to volunteer themselves and/or any resources they may have to help with the pshycial search once we get the go ahead from LE that there is a specific area to start searching. There are many people ready and willing to start searching once we get the green light and a specific area to searching.

Many of Susan's friends and family that live in this area have families. We are not just single people hanging out at our houses all day doing nothing. Our husbands have jobs that they have to go to every day to earn money to support their families. The wives either also have jobs or the majority of them are stay at home mothers who are taking care of their children. It is not that easy to go out in this weather and bring our little children with us to start searching snow banks and woods, especially when we may not even be looking in the right area. Once we have a place to start looking into, I am sure we will do whatever we can to get there and help with the search. Find sitters for our kids or whatever we have to do. But until then, we cannot even begin to think about going out into this cold weather with our young children and start looking through the snow.

As far as the missing fliers being translated into other languages...do you honestly think that is being done because we think Susan is in Asia? That is not it at all...

Here is the explanation on the facebook page from one of the administrators as to why that is being done:

"For those wondering why we're having Susan's "Missing" flier translated into other languages... We (English speakers) are not alone."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_United_States

There are many different languages spoken here and some don't speak english. This is intended to help spread Susan's name and picture in those communities.

I can see how all of you are frustrated and upset that Susan is still missing, that we don't have any more news, that justice has not been done yet...and you don't even know her. Try to imagine how the family and friends feel...the ones who know and love Susan. We are having a hard time with this, and if we feel like making fliers in other languages can help get her name and face out there to more people, than what is the problem? It doesn't mean we think she is in Asia, it means that we are trying to do the best we can in this hard position that we are in. We are trying to help find her. I only hope and pray that none of you have to go through something like this with someone you love in your life time.

The family and friends have never once asked people not to search, we ourselves are just not yet because of the above stated reasons. Once LE has a place to search, I can guarantee that there will be many, many people out there on day ONE looking for her. She could be anywhere in this state or the surrounding states.

And I know a lot of you think that searching, even if you are searching blindly, is better than nothing...but that is much easier said than done, especially for many of us who have small children who we cannot bring outside in this weather for hours and hours day after day.

I hope these thoughts can help even some of you better understand the very tough position we are in and try not to always jump to the most negative conclusions or worst assumptions regarding Susan's friends and family when it comes to these specific topics.

OK5- Do you believe that the friends and family of Susan (particularly the ones that were hopeful and (some reports say "confident") she will be found alive, are NOW coming around to believe that she indeed may be deceased somewhere remote beneath a foot of snow? Particularly because, as you confirm, that police ARE doing physical searches?

The reason I ask is that I see "getting her name and face out there in non-English speaking communities" as more the type of thing you do when someone is lost or suspected kidnapped. People of any language really won't need a good description of her if they stumble upon her remains. So I'm thinking that perhaps many in her camp still have great hope that she is "held up" somewhere?

Wonder what JP tells his two motherless boys at the breakfast table every am...

"Well boys, we're havin pancakes again... just like the last time you saw MOMMY.

Alrighty then, let's go get in the van now... just like the last time you saw MOMMY.

Don't worry boys, Mommy's just still lost out in the woods... right where I LEFT HER."

Just trying to picture how this goes down everyday... or is Susan no longer mentioned.

That he goes on perpetuating this charade, wearing this facade of nicety and normalcy, feigning to be a 'caring' father while concealing the knowledge every moment of every waking day that he KNOWS WHERE HE DUMPED THEIR BELOVED MOTHER WHO STILL LAYS SOMEWHERE--ABANDONED--IN THE FROZEN WILDERNESS...

How in his selfish, twisted mind he goes on, hour after hour, day after day, deceiving these vulnerable boys while entitling himself to their affection and adoration in the absence of the mother they once knew and miss every day. Justifying these perpetual lies.... his whole life now nothing more than loathesome pretenses. An empty hollow shell of a man and "father" who could go on contenting himself w such a contrived existence. What shall a man give in exchange for his soul. JMO

:parrot:
You are SO right. It's easy in a way, to think of Susan as a statistic (unfortunately)- just another case of an egomaniacal a-hole killing his wife. But then you think of those poor, poor boys, having to live with this sicko they call "Dad"- no telling WHAT he says to them re. their mom. For all we know, he says or implies to them that "Mommy ran away, or Mommy just didn't love us anymore." The 2-yr-old is no doubt insecure and fearful, and the older boy is probably DEEPLY heartbroken; he was old enough to really "know" Susan as a person, to recognize her laugh, to remember all the sweet and special "everyday" little things- sayings, likes and dislikes, habits and patterns that make each of us unique. For almost all children, NO ONE knows or can understand and comfort them like "Mommy." Mom knows how we like our sandwiches cut, and which one of us hates mustard... mommy knows our favorite shirt from that one that is "itchy"; she can tell if we're scared or sad just by looking in a little one's eyes; she can immediately tell who looks feverish, who needs a haircut. These are the "small" things we all miss when we lose a parent - but, on my God, how infinitely more painful it must be for a preschooler to try to understand and cope with on a daily basis...you know those boys think of her every morning when they get up, and every night as they lay down to sleep, yet another night with no more good-night stories, hugs and kisses from the most important person in their lives- Mama. Just breaks my heart for them. I was 31 when my Mom died of cancer (I'm 47 now), and I STILL miss her everyday, but at least I was able to grow up to adulthood having a wonderful mom. Josh has not only killed Susan, IMO, he has also permanently killed a piece of those boys' hearts that will never, ever fully heal. I hope Josh is "proud" of his actions, and of ripping those kids away from the only home they ever knew.:furious:

OH FOR PETE'S SAKE, STOP MAKING EXCUSES.

Someone in or near WVC please set up a large search.
FACE REALITY.
Animals are going to scatter her if you let her stay out there.

Get off the computer. Get the ones who cannot walk out there to watch the little ones. Take a day off. Do a weekend search.

Hurrah, AmandaReckonwith! Finally some realism! :woohoo:

There ARE private citizens - NOT members of Susan's ward - who ARE searching.

There's a poster on the Salt Lake Tribune comments Site who is searching the accessible remote trails and reports back to the forum. His nic is "IDRINKCOKE."

http://www.tribtowns.com/comments/read_comments.asp?ref=14161676&PageIndex=226

He and an experienced Native American outdoorsman are searching in the area west of Utah Lake. He's reported that several Law Enforcement trucks, vans and cars have also been searching in the same area.

There seem to be several posters on the Trib Site who are committed to search until Susan is found. Many of the trails are inaccessible because of the snow, rain, and muddy conditions. When the trails dry out there will be more people searching specifically for Susan.

Just about everyone on the forum is disgusted that Susan's supposed friends are sitting on computers, making purple ribbons, and spending their time searching for Chinese flyer translators instead of searching for Susan.

I'm mighty darn tired of the lame excuses too. If there was some other necessary church activity that could not include children there would be a group of baby-sitters recruited immediately. But finding a dead Susan left in the wilderness to be devoured by wild animals would mean the mollycoddling church friends would be forced to admit Josh was a brutal murderer.

"happyinWA," the Puyallup poster from Joshua's new LSD ward has stated Josh is still attending church every week -- and wearing his wedding ring. In my opinion, his only purpose for attending ward services is to hypocritically stay in the good graces of the church in order to continue to be protected and coddled. Anti-Mormon Daddy Steve must know it's Josh's safest bet too.

After almost two months, under the obvious circumstances we all know, the fact that Susan's church friends are concentrating only on finding a runaway/kidnapped Susan is utterly naive and totally unrealistic.

It's time for them to stop pretending Susan's alive. Two months in the wilderness is a long time. Undoubtedly Josh is hoping that soon there will be nothing left of Susan to retrieve. How tragically sad!

moo

Also, the longer she's out there, the chances of figuring out HOW she died diminishes.

Hi all! I read here as much as possible, as Susan's beautiful smile caught my attention, :) but post very rarely so please excuse my interruption. :angel: I am far from up to date and was just curious as to whether ANY of Susan's friends/family or ANY members of her ward have organized a search?

I mean I understand that they (as well as the private searchers that have searched) have family, jobs, obligations and the like. I'm just wondering since I haven't read anything about it (could very easily of missed it though) if they have ever just taken a weekend or two and organized a search of the areas that are accessible right now? From everything that I have ever known, read, heard of how the LDS church operates during times of crisis that's one of the things that they do best ...pull together, you know, some members to take care of providing meals, others handle child care, etc. I'm sure that all that is being done and I just can't find reference to it. Can someone point me in the right direction pretty please :) and if at all possible, what where the results of those searches...anything at all?

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that with more and more of these tragic cases that the 'person of interest' just tells some ridiculous story and then just clams up? This case, HaLeigh Cummings, Caylee Anthony, Baby Gabriel, Drew Peterson..the list goes on

As far as Josh is concerned, he has absolutely no incentive to talk imho..and may not ever. :( He's holed up where he doesn't have to worry about having a roof over his head, food in his stomach and a warm bed to sleep in. (of course I'm thankful that the children do) AND he doesn't have to talk to anyone...just bide his time and wait...and it seems so far he is being allowed to get away with it. . or at least has support in his deception.

I mean really..What possible reasons are there for not helping LE at all find your missing wife? I can only think of one...

eta~also saw an article referencing that Susan's father said they would probably contact TES when the weather was permitting (or something like that) Does anyone know if he has contacted TM yet to find out when Tim Miller thinks is the best time to search? TIA!

Even if the family wants to wait for searches, couldn't there be some other things being done, especially if they think Tim M could be called in later. I'm thinking about things such as fund raisers to help pay for the search and to build up a reward fund.

It's really very sad, since Josh came back to move things out of the house, I can't remember seeing any coverage on Susan missing on the local news here. :(

I would really like to see some kind of anger/emotion coming from the people who love Susan, seriously where is the outrage?

VB

What makes anyone think there is no outrage or anger coming from us that know her? Just because it isn't being filmed on camera for the 5pm news for everyone to see does not mean its not there.

And there are many other things that we are working on. We are trying to come up with fund raising tactics to help with the search for susan and to help the Cox family with the important things they may need like traveling, lodging, possible future attorney fees, etc. We are trying to come up with good ways to keep Susan's face and name in the news as it has kind of died out lately with nothing new for the media to report.

It is so frustrating that we are at a standstill right now and have no news regarding this. I really hope there is a break in the case soon.

OK5- Do you believe that the friends and family of Susan (particularly the ones that were hopeful and (some reports say "confident") she will be found alive, are NOW coming around to believe that she indeed may be deceased somewhere remote beneath a foot of snow? Particularly because, as you confirm, that police ARE doing physical searches?

The reason I ask is that I see "getting her name and face out there in non-English speaking communities" as more the type of thing you do when someone is lost or suspected kidnapped. People of any language really won't need a good description of her if they stumble upon her remains. So I'm thinking that perhaps many in her camp still have great hope that she is "held up" somewhere?

We are aware the Police are doing searches but they have not told us where they are searching or what is really going on. That is info they are not making public.

As far as family and friends go, we are still very hopeful that Susan is still alive. We are very aware that as each day passes, the chances grow more and more dim, but until we find her alive or dead, we just have to hope that she is still alive. It is very hard to think that she is possibly dead somewhere even though that is a very real possibility, but until she is found...we choose to remain hopeful.

According to Mr. Cox on the website for Susan organized searches are being postponed until weather improves..."I believe that the WVPD has them (TES) in mind for when the weather improves. I know they have worked with a limited number of volunteer groups that have special training and equipment." ~Chs. Cox

Just passing along or repeating the explanation posted re official, or large-scale searches....

Hi all! I read here as much as possible, as Susan's beautiful smile caught my attention, :) but post very rarely so please excuse my interruption. :angel: I am far from up to date and was just curious as to whether ANY of Susan's friends/family or ANY members of her ward have organized a search?

I mean I understand that they (as well as the private searchers that have searched) have family, jobs, obligations and the like. I'm just wondering since I haven't read anything about it (could very easily of missed it though) if they have ever just taken a weekend or two and organized a search of the areas that are accessible right now? From everything that I have ever known, read, heard of how the LDS church operates during times of crisis that's one of the things that they do best ...pull together, you know, some members to take care of providing meals, others handle child care, etc. I'm sure that all that is being done and I just can't find reference to it. Can someone point me in the right direction pretty please :) and if at all possible, what where the results of those searches...anything at all?

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that with more and more of these tragic cases that the 'person of interest' just tells some ridiculous story and then just clams up? This case, HaLeigh Cummings, Caylee Anthony, Baby Gabriel, Drew Peterson..the list goes on

As far as Josh is concerned, he has absolutely no incentive to talk imho..and may not ever. :( He's holed up where he doesn't have to worry about having a roof over his head, food in his stomach and a warm bed to sleep in. (of course I'm thankful that the children do) AND he doesn't have to talk to anyone...just bide his time and wait...and it seems so far he is being allowed to get away with it. . or at least has support in his deception.

I mean really..What possible reasons are there for not helping LE at all find your missing wife? I can only think of one...

eta~also saw an article referencing that Susan's father said they would probably contact TES when the weather was permitting (or something like that) Does anyone know if he has contacted TM yet to find out when Tim Miller thinks is the best time to search? TIA!

(bbm) Re TES I was hopeful the family might pursue this as either family or LE needs to contact TES to request their help. But thus far all I am aware of is--as quoted by Mr. Cox, above--that WVPD "has them in mind for once weather improves," and has reportedly "worked previously" w volunteer groups. Sorry I don't have more detailed info.

What makes anyone think there is no outrage or anger coming from us that know her? Just because it isn't being filmed on camera for the 5pm news for everyone to see does not mean its not there.

And there are many other things that we are working on. We are trying to come up with fund raising tactics to help with the search for susan and to help the Cox family with the important things they may need like traveling, lodging, possible future attorney fees, etc. We are trying to come up with good ways to keep Susan's face and name in the news as it has kind of died out lately with nothing new for the media to report.

It is so frustrating that we are at a standstill right now and have no news regarding this. I really hope there is a break in the case soon.

OK5 since the goal right now is to keep getting Susan's picture out there, how about making up t-shirts with her face on and selling them, also maybe the cloth shopping bags that are so popular now. Buttons also, sell at a profit where everyone knows the money made is going towards a find Susan fund. Bake sales, craft sales etc can be held. I would be more than willing to help with something down here.

VB

I'd like to think that at some point soon there will be an update from LE about this case. Like any day and not just whenever. I wonder what they tell the press, when asked about this. I would think it might put more pressure on the POI and they'd want that. It could also help the family. It seems like at least some of the information they already have could have been shared, if only to spare close family and friends from having to bite their tongues so hard.

I wonder if anyone is ever going to look for the poor girl in real life?

I understand everyone's fustration regarding searching for Susan.

That said, as an experienced mountaineer, I can tell you the problem with searches, either at high altitude, remote locations and/or winter snow, is many searchers soon become a victim of another search.

Originally Posted by AmandaReckonwith
OH FOR PETE'S SAKE, STOP MAKING EXCUSES.

Someone in or near WVC please set up a large search.
FACE REALITY.
Animals are going to scatter her if you let her stay out there.

Get off the computer. Get the ones who cannot walk out there to watch the little ones. Take a day off. Do a weekend search.

There is no need to be so harsh. The police know what they are doing.

Don't you think that if there was ANY possibility of volunteers helping out there would be a huge search? Do you think the fact there is not has something to do with the investigation?

Susan's friends, like the ones on this board, are doing everything they can to help bring her home but they have lives too. They can only do so much.

I happen to know that the investigation is still in full gear. Again, the police know more about this than we do. For anyone to criticize people for not "getting off their computers" to search is being totally irresponsible in my opinion.

Like sniprace said, the weather in the areas needed to search are not condusive to volunteers searching AT ALL. We would be idiots to try and search in some of these places.

Being harsh and judgemental does NOTHING to help bring Susan home. Please stop this now and get back to sleuthing.

One more thing. Certain situations call for things to be talked about off the public forum. Please understand these are special circumstances that I am well aware of.

Sorry if I sound cranky.

Tricia

I think considering the weather that night, I don't believe he travelled far. Would be to much of a risk. I do not believe he took her out of Utah. I feel they will find her closer to home, someplace he is familiar with. I think he drove around after, had a pretend camping trip. It would be easy to convince small children.

KUTV 2 led with a bit about Susan Powell. They had footage of "Friends and Family" at the home, covering it with purple ribbons. Lots and lots of ribbons were in the yard, and a huge "SUSAN" sign is over the garage..

KH-(paraphrase) lavender and sage green are her favorite colors, so that's why purple everywhere, very noticeable. (mentions earthquake), much of the recent (news) coverage has been of Haiti, as it should be, that's millions of people suffering...
...concludes with Susan has left a hole in our lives.

Sister and BIL of Susan interviewed (paraphrased)
BIL-"All about her memory", we haven't given up hope on her, but want people to one way or another remember she's still missing
Sister-Wishes her brother would step up and participate, I feel like he's just run away

Reporter relates from talking to Sis and BIL They recently visited Seattle, saw the boys, says the boys are doing quite well
Reporter further mentions JP is planning to return to SLC to put the house on the market, it's not on the market currently.

My overall impression was that this was a way to bring attention back to Susan's case, and it was an effective strategy. The news crew was there, and gave the story top billing.

KUTV 2 led with a bit about Susan Powell. They had footage of "Friends and Family" at the home, covering it with purple ribbons. Lots and lots of ribbons were in the yard, and a huge "SUSAN" sign is over the garage..

KH-(paraphrase) lavender and sage green are her favorite colors, so that's why purple everywhere, very noticeable. (mentions earthquake), much of the recent (news) coverage has been of Haiti, as it should be, that's millions of people suffering...
...concludes with Susan has left a hole in our lives.

Sister and BIL of Susan interviewed (paraphrased)
BIL-"All about her memory", we haven't given up hope on her, but want people to one way or another remember she's still missing
Sister-Wishes her brother would step up and participate, I feel like he's just run away

Reporter relates from talking to Sis and BIL They recently visited Seattle, saw the boys, says the boys are doing quite well
Reporter further mentions JP is planning to return to SLC to put the house on the market, it's not on the market currently.

My overall impression was that this was a way to bring attention back to Susan's case, and it was an effective strategy. The news crew was there, and gave the story top billing.

Right, kids always do well without their mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties