UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is quite true, I couldn't deal with coming across the remains of my loved one very well. I would have slight problem coming across the remains of my neighbor's loved one. (got medical experience) I believe it is great to have professionals in a society, but do we have enough to cover the needs of the many missing persons cases? IDK.

It's not just finding Susan - but evidence that may be with or near her. There are professional search and recovery people who know exactly how to handle these matters and who would brief searchers on what to look for or what to do if they were to find anything of interest.

For the most part, family and friends are discouraged from such searches. How would you feel if you came across the remains of a loved one?

It is also LE trying to conduct an investigation and not have 80% of their staff running around trying to manage civilian searchers. If and when they have a reasonable idea where to search a group like Tim Miller's group will have an organized search where inexperienced searchers work with a team leader.

I don't see this large group of organized volunteers that LE is restraining from searching, but the idea that they are going to sanction it and encourage it is ridiculous. Volunteer wrangling is not their job and it is a huge liability issue to be in a position of endorsing it.

No More Mormon Bashing.

The reason Elizabeth Smart's case was a big deal and the Mormon Church became involved is because of ED SMART ORGANIZING it along with his family.

Also these are two totally different cases.

If it did any good to argue religion I would say go for it but it does nothing but get everyone angry and disagreeable.

Thank you for understanding.

Tricia

As for Susan being kidnapped and deprogrammed I highly doubt it. There is another possible scenario where she is still alive. Here is a post that I made on SL Tribune board back on 12/23/09.

“You would need the analytical skills of an O.J. Simpson juror not to conclude that Josh is guilty. In fact he is acting so guilty that I began to wonder if this could be a Balloon Boy type hoax. He drives hundreds of miles with a rental then goes to neighbor to take him to pick up his van with “severely wind burned hands”. Just in case the neighbor didn’t notice his hands he kept applying lotion to them.

His alibi, the two fans, not helping police, the rental car and now this. How could he have drawn more attention to his guilt? If Susan turns up alive after the holidays with some crazy story to tell the talk shows we’ll know it’s been a hoax.

I know it’s a long shot. But it is hard to believe anyone could be as stupid as Josh is acting.”

Although I think this is an unlikely scenario it is one that I can’t completely shake. Josh (and maybe Daddy) dream this up and get Susan to go along. Instead of camping Josh drives Susan to meet his brother/father who drives Susan up to the Powell’s in Washington. Everything is staged to make Josh look as guilty as possible. Eventually Susan turns up in some random town telling LE she has just been released by her kidnapper. After Susan turns up everyone will be sympathetic to Josh and his family for accusing him. He can go on talk shows as the poor man who lost his job and was driven from his home by the false accusations of neighbors, press etc. Susan can talk about her time in captivity. Of course when she turns up she will have no useful information to help police locate her “captures”.

Again, I don not think this likely. It just keeps popping up in the back of my mind and I wanted to see what you guys thought.

There are aspects that fit. Like Kiirsi saying she got a message that led her to believe Susan was alive and in another state. Susan could have seen how hard her friend was taking this and got a message to her that she was alive without exposing all the details. It also fits with how LE is acting. They seem like the cat that swallowed the canary. They imply they know what happened but aren’t too concerned about locating a body.

The biggest problem with this theory is that Susan couldn’t possibly put her parents through this. She would have told them by now and her father doesn’t seem like the type to go along with something like this. However, he isn’t on camera pleading for help finding his daughter like most missing parents are.

I’m going to say it one more time. This is in no way the scenario I think most likely. Please don’t tell me how crazy I am. I’m 99.9% sure Josh murdered Susan and besides I already know I’m crazy.

It is quite true, I couldn't deal with coming across the remains of my loved one very well. I would have slight problem coming across the remains of my neighbor's loved one. (got medical experience) I believe it is great to have professionals in a society, but do we have enough to cover the needs of the many missing persons cases? IDK.

I can say with certainty that NO we do not! So, we all might as well get comfortable with interested lay people getting heavily involved. Frankly, anyone who is willing to search would really know not to touch anything. People are getting more and more sophisticated about this sort of thing thanks to CSI, etc.

This is not true.

The family was asked not to be involved with searches early on in the Haleigh Cummings cases. We have seen others where LE has said the area in question is too dangerous for inexperienced searchers. There is the issue of private land. But this black and white statement that LE would never suggest who should and shouldn't be searching is just patently false.

Go back and read my statement and then read what you said I wrote in black and white. They are two entirely different things.

The police did not tell Haleigh Cummings family they had to get permission or that they could not search for Haleigh. They might have suggested they don't search for her but the police could not stop them.

The police have nothing to do with private property, you have to get permission for that from the landowners which most of the land in Utah is federal land where you do not need permission from a landowner.

The police can not tell people they can't search an area simply because it is dangerous. Otherwise 90 percent of the stuff Utahans do for fun would be illegal.

As for Susan being kidnapped and deprogrammed I highly doubt it. There is another possible scenario where she is still alive. Here is a post that I made on SL Tribune board back on 12/23/09.

“You would need the analytical skills of an O.J. Simpson juror not to conclude that Josh is guilty. In fact he is acting so guilty that I began to wonder if this could be a Balloon Boy type hoax. He drives hundreds of miles with a rental then goes to neighbor to take him to pick up his van with “severely wind burned hands”. Just in case the neighbor didn’t notice his hands he kept applying lotion to them.

His alibi, the two fans, not helping police, the rental car and now this. How could he have drawn more attention to his guilt? If Susan turns up alive after the holidays with some crazy story to tell the talk shows we’ll know it’s been a hoax.

I know it’s a long shot. But it is hard to believe anyone could be as stupid as Josh is acting.”

Although I think this is an unlikely scenario it is one that I can’t completely shake. Josh (and maybe Daddy) dream this up and get Susan to go along. Instead of camping Josh drives Susan to meet his brother/father who drives Susan up to the Powell’s in Washington. Everything is staged to make Josh look as guilty as possible. Eventually Susan turns up in some random town telling LE she has just been released by her kidnapper. After Susan turns up everyone will be sympathetic to Josh and his family for accusing him. He can go on talk shows as the poor man who lost his job and was driven from his home by the false accusations of neighbors, press etc. Susan can talk about her time in captivity. Of course when she turns up she will have no useful information to help police locate her “captures”.

Again, I don not think this likely. It just keeps popping up in the back of my mind and I wanted to see what you guys thought.

There are aspects that fit. Like Kiirsi saying she got a message that led her to believe Susan was alive and in another state. Susan could have seen how hard her friend was taking this and got a message to her that she was alive without exposing all the details. It also fits with how LE is acting. They seem like the cat that swallowed the canary. They imply they know what happened but aren’t too concerned about locating a body.

The biggest problem with this theory is that Susan couldn’t possibly put her parents through this. She would have told them by now and her father doesn’t seem like the type to go along with something like this. However, he isn’t on camera pleading for help finding his daughter like most missing parents are.

I’m going to say it one more time. This is in no way the scenario I think most likely. Please don’t tell me how crazy I am. I’m 99.9% sure Josh murdered Susan and besides I already know I’m crazy.

Certainly an interesting theory, but I suspect the "message" that Kiirsi got (if there really was one) was from Steve Powell talking in a "mean kidnapper" voice!

I got to reading it and thought yep maybe. But what rules it out totally for me is Susans mom was/is really sick. She would have never done this to her or dad or children. Nope, no way.

I got to reading it and thought yep maybe. But what rules it out totally for me is Susans mom was/is really sick. She would have never done this to her or dad or children. Nope, no way.

What is her illness? Would it affect custody?

Go back and read my statement and then read what you said I wrote in black and white. They are two entirely different things.

The police did not tell Haleigh Cummings family they had to get permission or that they could not search for Haleigh. They might have suggested they don't search for her but the police could not stop them.

The police have nothing to do with private property, you have to get permission for that from the landowners which most of the land in Utah is federal land where you do not need permission from a landowner.

The police can not tell people they can't search an area simply because it is dangerous. Otherwise 90 percent of the stuff Utahans do for fun would be illegal.

And my last three posts have said that I do not see LE restraining some group of searchers and preventing them from doing anything. I saw a request from the family that you work with LE if you are going out.

My post was in reference to the idea that LE should be organizing, directing, and suggesting areas of interest to the general public.

I haven't seen LE instruct anyone to stay home. I have seen a request from the family, the people that this would be supposedly helping, I have seen them request that you check in with LE and work within their wishes.

This entire conversation is completely circular at this point though. I just find the criticism of LE to unwarranted at this point. YMMV. If I felt that strongly about the lack of searches I would work on organizing a group.

I imagine Josh’s lawyer was very happy to see all the people helping him move. If and when this case comes to trial I’m sure the prosecution is going to try to enter Josh’s moving so soon after Susan’s disappearance into evidence(Ala Scott Peterson). If they do it will give the defense the opportunity to show how their friends and neighbors rallied behind Josh. The implication being that the people who were closest to them must be on Josh’s side.

What is her illness? Would it affect custody?

I am not sure, it was mentioned in an early article about her dad coming to utah and her mom had to stay home because she was to ill to travel.

It is very possible Josh made a unilateral and secretive decision, but I just want to say, I don't support it one bit.

And my last three posts have said that I do not see LE restraining some group of searchers and preventing them from doing anything. I saw a request from the family that you work with LE if you are going out.

My post was in reference to the idea that LE should be organizing, directing, and suggesting areas of interest to the general public.

I haven't seen LE instruct anyone to stay home. I have seen a request from the family, the people that this would be supposedly helping, I have seen them request that you check in with LE and work within their wishes.

This entire conversation is completely circular at this point though. I just find the criticism of LE to unwarranted at this point. YMMV. If I felt that strongly about the lack of searches I would work on organizing a group.

All I saw was your post saying I said stuff I never did.

I agree on the mom part but in this scenerio Susan's children where taken up to her just a short time after she went missing and would be with her now.

This is an interesting take, and the only one that any could conceive of JP being not guilty. However, I think there's a chance of this being about as true as Mr. Heine just stated that it was NOT a hoax on LK.

I imagine Josh’s lawyer was very happy to see all the people helping him move. If and when this case comes to trial I’m sure the prosecution is going to try to enter Josh’s moving so soon after Susan’s disappearance into evidence(Ala Scott Peterson). If they do it will give the defense the opportunity to show how their friends and neighbors rallied behind Josh. The implication being that the people who were closest to them must be on Josh’s side.

Yes, but if the State has enough evidence to prove he did kill Susan when it comes to trail, I think it will only make jurors more sympathic for her family. It might even reveal what a narcissistic, selfish taker Josh is, and how cunning he was to get these people in his corner helping him, but not looking for Susan. Most people expect the husband to beg people to help search, not to relocate a month later with everyone's cheerful help.

En pointe Bartle. My exact sentiments. There are sooo many typos throughout. What, no editing? Or was that done by JP? Initial thing that caught me was in first paragraph in the "about Steve" section was the term:

unilateral and secretive decision (for Mom)

then...
unilateral and secretive decision (for Dad)

This was used twice on same page, not to mention first page. Thought in the beginning: this guy has a fairly good vocabulary. Then 2 times, and no one caught it? Who's the bigger fool here, the "musician," or Polished Marketing?

I've made a unilateral and secretive decision that the song "Sing Softly Wood" almost made me throw up in my mouth a little.

I'm just saying.

I've made a unilateral and secretive decision that the song "Sing Softly Wood" almost made me throw up in my mouth a little.

I'm just saying.

Are you saying you don't think his career is going to take off? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members