VA- 6-YEAR-OLD is in custody after shooting teacher

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quotes snipped by me

I don't necessarily agree. Plenty of children hold it all in at school and then let their feelings out after school with various behaviors appearing. There is even a name for it:
"after-school restraint collapse."
This example is in the opposite direction of a child behaving better at home than at school, but the behavior of children is very complex. I could imagine a child with sensory issues being overwhelmed by the school environment and behaving differently there compared to at home.

My point is, we need to look at each case individually.

Absolutely. They can definitely behave different at school to home at that age. Especially if they have sensory issues, like you said.

Heard from the press conference, there is a Town Hall meeting to be held tonight, for the families of Richneck School. Unknown if any press or media will be present. Ought to be an interesting Town Hall. Also stated by School Board Member today, was that there is no future date set ( yet) for when the school will re-open.

Absolutely. They can definitely behave different at school to home at that age. Especially if they have sensory issues, like you said.

In other cases, the expectations & boundaries at school are taught clearly and applied consistently and a child does well at school but behaves very differently at home.

Old, tired, experienced educator.

Many children sadly don't know what to expect when they get home. They don't know who will be there, they don't know what will happen, they just flat don't know.

Stressful for anyone.

I've had preschoolers cry in relief on Monday mornings--they know what will happen in the classroom, they know how adults will react to them, they know how to successfully navigate the school system. I've had preschoolers tell they want to sleep at school -- because they know who will be there when they wake up.

Heartbreaking.

I expect that this little guy's story is also heartbreaking, and that we won't learn much of it.

Support the relief agencies in your area. Families are struggling near you....

Mega Failures in this sad crime.

Young teacher is shot, by her 6 year old student
Parent(s) of 6 year old did not properly secure/ store a deadly weapon safely, allowing a CHILD access to it.
School administrators were aware of some kind of threat of a weapon, but were unsuccessful in securing the weapon.
The School has had the ability of using metal detectors when there "Is a credible threat".

Now, this is my question:
Can school officials search a backpack for a weapon?, but not search a child's body for the same thing?

Ick

PS....Dear Ms Abby, I hope you have some good legal representation. This is going to get ugly....

I have more questions, regarding this latest report.

WHO called ( at 11:30 am that day ) or verbally reported that there was a gun in the child's possession?
( How valid was the report?) What was the report?

Did the 'administration personnel' look in the child's desk?

Did the child stuff the gun down the back of his pants waistband....and pull his shirt down over his pants to conceal the weapon? If so, what 6 year old knows how to do that? Who taught him that?

So awful.....and so preventable.
MOO

I have more questions, regarding this latest report.

WHO called ( at 11:30 am that day ) or verbally reported that there was a gun in the child's possession?
( How valid was the report?) What was the report?

Did the 'administration personnel' look in the child's desk?

Did the child stuff the gun down the back of his pants waistband....and pull his shirt down over his pants to conceal the weapon? If so, what 6 year old knows how to do that? Who taught him that?

So awful.....and so preventable.
MOO
My guess is that his mother may have noticed the gun missing, called the school and asked them to check. Of course, this is speculation, but it would make sense. "Hey school, I just noticed my gun isn't in the case, car, etc where it usually is. Please check with my son to make sure he didn't get ahold of it."

Mega Failures in this sad crime.

Young teacher is shot, by her 6 year old student
Parent(s) of 6 year old did not properly secure/ store a deadly weapon safely, allowing a CHILD access to it.
School administrators were aware of some kind of threat of a weapon, but were unsuccessful in securing the weapon.
The School has had the ability of using metal detectors when there "Is a credible threat".

Now, this is my question:
Can school officials search a backpack for a weapon?, but not search a child's body for the same thing?

Ick

PS....Dear Ms Abby, I hope you have some good legal representation. This is going to get ugly....
Re: the bolded above... I don't want to beat a dead horse but, we don't actually know that this is true.

It's entirely possible of course, but it's also entirely possible the gun and ammo were stored in locked, secure location and the kid figured out how to get into it.

jmo

Re: the bolded above... I don't want to beat a dead horse but, we don't actually know that this is true.

It's entirely possible of course, but it's also entirely possible the gun and ammo were stored in locked, secure location and the kid figured out how to get into it.

jmo
With the greatest of respect, if a six year old can gain access, then it doesn't meet the bare minimum for being locked and secure.

People keep stuff hidden and secure from kids all the time. Medication. Birthday presents. Special sometimes-food snacks. It shouldn't even be a debate that if a gun can't be kept as secret and secure as surprises from Santa, then one shouldn't be in the home.

With the greatest of respect, if a six year old can gain access, then it doesn't meet the bare minimum for being locked and secure.

People keep stuff hidden and secure from kids all the time. Medication. Birthday presents. Special sometimes-food snacks. It shouldn't even be a debate that if a gun can't be kept as secret and secure as surprises from Santa, then one shouldn't be in the home.
I'm curious, what would you consider the bare minimum for being locked and secure if it was actually locked and the kid got a hold of it anyway?

I'm a registered gun owner in VA. I probably have 2 or three extra gun locks in my junk drawer.

In Virginia, every LE agency has FREE gun locks. They give away at community events, you can call and pick one up at the LE agency. Gun locks have keys. The child would have to have the key and the dexterity to open the lock and pull out the metal cord, woven threw the gun barrel. Not an easy task. Then load bullets into the gun.
No excuse...all MOO

MOO...the gun was left loaded and within reach of the child. Not sure why parent has not been charged.

Link to Amazon gun locks like ones given away in Virginia, under $10.00.

Virginia law on access to guns for minors.
I've patiently been waiting for the parent to be charged. Beginning to think, they will not be, by Norlfork LE. MOO

Makes me sad, to think the teacher was wounded, may never work in a field she trained and paid for, may stuffer trauma and medical complications and no one is charged. MOO...

I'm a registered gun owner in VA. I probably have 2 or three extra gun locks in my junk drawer.

In Virginia, every LE agency has FREE gun locks. They give away at community events, you can call and pick one up at the LE agency. Gun locks have keys. The child would have to have the key and the dexterity to open the lock and pull out the metal cord, woven threw the gun barrel. Not an easy task. Then load bullets into the gun.
No excuse...all MOO

MOO...the gun was left loaded and within reach of the child. Not sure why parent has not been charged.

Link to Amazon gun locks like ones given away in Virginia, under $10.00.

I'm not currently a gun owner and have never really looked into these locks.
In seconds though, I did find several videos that show how unbelievably easy it is to get them open without the key.
If I did have a gun I wouldn't be confident in a lock like this.

Do I think a 6 year old child could unlock one of these keyed, cable locks, load and fire a gun?
Some kids, yes, 100%. Especially if the kid had either been taught how, or just watched a video. Or LOTS of videos.
Or, just knew where mom's key was. (show of hands on how many of you knew at 6, where mom hid stuff she didn't want you to know about)

Realistically, I'm guessing this isn't what happened, but it's sure possible. So it does make me wonder if the reason charges haven't been filed yet, is because it can't be established the parent recklessly left the gun available to the child.
Basically I'm giving the mom the benefit of the doubt because LE haven't stated otherwise. Yet.

jmo

I'm not currently a gun owner and have never really looked into these locks.
In seconds though, I did find several videos that show how unbelievably easy it is to get them open without the key.
If I did have a gun I wouldn't be confident in a lock like this.

Do I think a 6 year old child could unlock one of these keyed, cable locks, load and fire a gun?
Some kids, yes, 100%. Especially if the kid had either been taught how, or just watched a video. Or LOTS of videos.
Or, just knew where mom's key was. (show of hands on how many of you knew at 6, where mom hid stuff she didn't want you to know about)

Realistically, I'm guessing this isn't what happened, but it's sure possible. So it does make me wonder if the reason charges haven't been filed yet, is because it can't be established the parent recklessly left the gun available to the child.
Basically I'm giving the mom the benefit of the doubt because LE haven't stated otherwise. Yet.

jmo

I know the circumstances are completely different, but the 10 yr old who shot and killed his mom recently did exactly this. He looked for and tool the keys to the gun safe the night before, I believe after she was asleep.
It's entirely possible, as you say.

id say figuring out how to deal with child killers are way more important than punishing the parent ...who can find a gun.. can fin a knife or a rock or other ways
is this a one time crime.. how did they deal with the other 6 yearl old who killed another child..are those around him know of his history
questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member