VA - Alexis Murphy, 17, Shipman, 3 Aug 2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally feel she went to meet up with someone near the gas station / in that neighborhood and stuff went wrong. I like the theory that she drove to C'Ville (but why?) to be closer to a family member's house if something happened. However, the scent the dog picked up that stopped at the clubhouse -- that makes me wonder if she was either picked up physically and moved or got into someone's car.

welcome VAgirlatheart !!! :rocker: you are in the right place and we are glad you are here! Now off to read your article!

FBI agents were posted Thursday night at entrances to the Arden Place apartment complex, where a search dog led authorities two nights earlier following the discovery of Murphy’s car in the nearby Carmike Six cinema parking lot. Authorities also continued to scour the U.S. 29 corridor between Lovingston and Albemarle.
Murphy, 17, left her Shipman home Saturday evening for a shopping trip to Lynchburg and never came back. Some 50 FBI agents, Nelson County sheriff’s deputies and state police have worked to find her since.
http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/article_6ebc013a-00ff-11e3-8bc8-0019bb30f31a.html

Investigators say the new images show her at the Liberty Gas station in Lovingston, which is where she was last seen. According to WSET, the clerk who waited on Murphy that day said the teen appeared to be alone. She also said Murphy was a regular customer at the gas station.

Read more: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/0...nce-photos-released--92523.html#ixzz2bU5tL8RT
Follow us: @ABC7News on Twitter | WJLATV on Facebook

I personally feel she went to meet up with someone near the gas station / in that neighborhood and stuff went wrong. I like the theory that she drove to C'Ville (but why?) to be closer to a family member's house if something happened. However, the scent the dog picked up that stopped at the clubhouse -- that makes me wonder if she was either picked up physically and moved or got into someone's car.

Keeping in mind that the scent is said to be "a scent".

But why park it there instead of in front of the grandmas apt? Im sure they even have visitor spaces. Do we know the exact apt of the grandma or if this lot is used as overflow parking? It is strange that theres a path to the parking lot. I do think she parked the car there.

I just remembered the path leads to Arden apts and not the grandmas apts, right?

It would seem odd, IMO, that, if she were visiting her relatives, she wouldn't park in front of their building.

I'm going to give my opinion on the area where the car was found. The Carmike Theater in Albemarle Square shopping center is an old theater. The last time I stepped foot in there to watch a movie, back in the late 90s, most of the seats were covered in plastic to deter people from sitting in them. That place was gross! We recently got a nice new theater back in the spring right up the road at Stonefields shopping center. A lot of the theaters here either closed or changed to independent formats because the Regal theater is taking business away from them. I'm surprised that this theater is still staying open. Point is...it's not heavily frequented. There is a reason that it doesn't have outside cameras, IMO- the place is an old dump and it's just not worth having cameras to protect it in any way. My gym, ACAC, is up an embankment from the theater, but the way it is situated, I would be surprised if any cameras at ACAC or in their parking lot would be pointed in that direction. There was a Pier One in that quadrant of the shopping center, but it moved into a new store at the Stonefields. The backs of some stores face the road that runs between them and the theater. IMO, it would be easy for a car to sit there for months on end and nobody would notice anything. BUT, IMO, I do find it strange that a person would put a car there if they weren't deliberately placing it there to be found. We have tons of places where a car can be stashed. I had a boss who was bound, gagged, and locked into his trunk and the car stashed in the woods behind a shopping center here in town. He was left that way for days before anyone found him (he actually survived that ordeal). My point is, I believe, that by putting that car there, whomever wanted it to be found. Either it was a cry for help from Alexis or a tease from a very cruel person.

Now, my opinion about the apartments surrounding where the car was found. There are three apartment complexes situated in parallel fashion to the cinema parking lot. The Google map shows this. To the extreme left would be where the car was found. To the right of that is Arden Place apartments, where the K-9 scent led to. Beside Arden Place Apartments are Rio Hill Apartments where the grandmother and uncle live. Beside those are Mallside Forest Apartments. I'm not trying to be prejudice about anyone's living situation, but I was shocked when they put those "nice", "luxury" apartments beside those other two complexes. If you look at the Rio Hill Apartments website you will note that there are income restrictions (http://www.brac.com/apt_detail.cfm?type=large&propID=2266). The rent is low. AND, their neighbors at Mallside Forest Apartments have even lower rents. It is no coincidence that although all three complexes are accesible via vehicle from Rio Rd, they are encouraging people to take note of Arden Place from the shopping center side. Around these parts, it doesn't fly to make the rich folks have to drive through the hood to get to their luxury homes- IMO. And, all of these complexes are accesible to anyone- no gates or codes to simply drive up to them.

There must be something seriously wrong that Cannery Loop. A few years ago, I was making a trip from Cville down to Lynchburg and the traffic was stopped by that road. There was a man running around in the road like a mad man and then he collapsed on the side of the road. It scared me because I've never seen anyone behaving like that. Maybe he was high from something he obtained on Cannery Loop. ???

There must be something seriously wrong going down on Cannery Loop. A few years ago, I was making a trip from Cville down to Lynchburg and the traffic was stopped on Rt 29 by that road. There was a man running around in the road like a mad man and then he collapsed on the side of the road. When we all finally drove by, there were people all over him helping him. It scared me because I've never seen anyone behaving like that. Maybe he was high from something he obtained on Cannery Loop. ???

Keeping in mind that the scent is said to be "a scent".

Yeah -- when a scent abruptly stops what does that mean? A dog can't trace a scent to someone who gets in a car, right?

Yeah -- when a scent abruptly stops what does that mean? A dog can't trace a scent to someone who gets in a car, right?

I can ask sarx or oriah to come over and chime in. (for new members: they are verified SAR experts)

From what I have learned from sarx, iirc, dogs can still follow scent from a car but it depends on a lot of things and also depends on the type of dog used as well.

case in point: dogs tracked amber dubois scent to within a few miles of where her body ended up being found.. and this was like close to a year later iirc?

From the Lynchburg News and Advance:

Online commenters have asked why one tool, the Amber Alert system, has not been used in Murphy’s case. Van Zandt said that likely had to do with Murphy’s age.

“An Amber Alert suggests this is a child we know is in absolute danger,” he said. “But a 16- or 17-year-old with a car is able to leave.”

(http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/article_6ebc013a-00ff-11e3-8bc8-0019bb30f31a.html)

Perhaps they should think about including some more scenerios into an Amber Alert.

Looks like there are a couple of businesses located on Cannery Loop as well as houses -- a logging company, a used car lot..

Not sure if this has been posted but it is a video from the vigil last night. The father Troy Brown and Alexis' mom speak.

Just a note: re: the tweets about missing uncle "Tony"...I suspect someone read or typed the name wrong and that perhaps the cousin's were worried about uncle "Troy." He was off the radar, he said, posting missing fliers all around the region and as far away as Harrisonburg.

I can ask sarx or oriah to come over and chime in. (for new members: they are verified SAR experts)

From what I have learned from sarx, iirc, dogs can still follow scent from a car but it depends on a lot of things and also depends on the type of dog used as well.

case in point: dogs tracked amber dubois scent to within a few miles of where her body ended up being found.. and this was like close to a year later iirc?

Please do ask them! I would personally like to understand more about tracking scents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members