Identified! VA - Annandale, WhtFem 245UFVA, ~60, 'NO CODE, DNR, No Penicillin', Dec'96

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been googling Centre Spatial de Liege and eyeglasses, frames, lenses but I don't see anything about glasses?

Everything I'm seeing has to do with optical in space?

Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. I think we're all confused too. They do test intraocular trifocals (not the same thing). Astrid emailed them to check.

I wonder if they're sure it's CSL and not YSL, which would be Yves St. Laurent. It's common for designer eyewear to have a logo or design on the lens.

24xo1s3.jpg

2j18z7c.jpg

Last, Poky, if you want the PM pic I'll PM it to you. Let me know.

Wow!!! You guys have been busy! Great work, everybody. I can't believe how much everybody has posted. I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Thank you, Astrid. I would appreciate an image of the PM. Thank you for posting these other images too. The Mini-mouse fanny-pack...that was found WITH her or ON her?

I wonder if they're sure it's CSL and not YSL, which would be Yves St. Laurent. It's common for designer eyewear to have a logo or design on the lens.

Agreed. Also, Sophia Loren has an eyewear line with similar styles back in the 70s-80s. Although I don't know what the "c" would stand for.

I can't find any eyewear (including vintage) that is marked with a "CSL".

Could it be OSL? I googled osl eyewear, Oscar de la Renta uses OSL in their current eyeglass descriptions.

Here is a vintage Oscar de la Renta ad

ne4u3a5a.jpg

Uhhh, I don't seem to recall that little Minnie Mouse backpack...thing. What *is* that? At first glance I thought it was thong underwear! :blushing:

Is it like a little change purse? It looks well-worn, with the safety pin and the tape. Was there anything inside it?

The closest thing I've been able to find so far is this: http://www.glistenvintage.co.uk/vintage-1980s-pink-minnie-mouse-bum-bag--fanny-pack-rare-81-p.asp

It looks like a waist pack for quite a young girl -- if the pencil is 6-8" long, the waist measurement can't be more than about 20" or so.

I did find some similar small bags that were advertised as insulin pump bags or medication bags, but none that were Minnie Mouse.

I just read all that twice, maybe it's my brain on pain killers but I don't understand anything it said.

Wow! That was really confusing. I'm giving it my best shot at an interpretation. I'm not sure I'm right. It sounds like this company builds high-tech stuff that they use in outer space to take pictures with and/or view through (maybe lenses and other instruments) and that they recreate conditions similar to outer space to make sure everything will work right when it's sent up.

I wonder if the whole impressive "space science" aspect of the glasses is marketed the way the NASA memory foam mattresses are. Like, maybe they created these specialized optics for use in space and then just started putting them into eyeglasses. Maybe the scientific hoopla is, or was, commonly used in glasses but not particularly significant to our Jane Doe.

Just a thought. They just immediately brought the NASA memory foam mattresses to mind.

I normally just lurk this thread but I wanted to throw it out there that my mom has a c-section scar just like that because my head got stuck in her pelvis

Damn, you're good! I took five years of high school French and can barely form a sentence.

Five, Five? LOL. That's funny.

I took one semester of French during my freshman year of High School and hated it. My French teacher always called on me, way more than most students. I had no sense of the importance of Education at that time so I was always went to class unprepared...which was stupid because I always felt like an idiot.

One day she was going to make us sing Frere Jaques in front of the class and I was panicked to have to sing in front of class so I skipped that hour and hid out in the bathroom. It was the only time I'd ever skipped a class. But I didn't know that the librarian had seen me and had paid attention to the fact that I didn't come back out. Our assistant principal, a MAN, and two other ladies came walking into the bathroom, insisted that whoever was in the stall open the door, and found me standing on the toilet.

Eta: I can say "mon valise et grand". That's it.

Wow! That was really confusing. I'm giving it my best shot at an interpretation. I'm not sure I'm right. It sounds like this company builds high-tech stuff that they use in outer space to take pictures with and/or view through (maybe lenses and other instruments) and that they recreate conditions similar to outer space to make sure everything will work right when it's sent up.

I wonder if the whole impressive "space science" aspect of the glasses is marketed the way the NASA memory foam mattresses are. Like, maybe they created these specialized optics for use in space and then just started putting them into eyeglasses. Maybe the scientific hoopla is, or was, commonly used in glasses but not particularly significant to our Jane Doe.

Just a thought. They just immediately brought the NASA memory foam mattresses to mind.

Exactly -- I'm almost positive they've only ever made space stuff. If I don't hear back in a couple days, I'll reach out to the other ppl listed on the site.

Also the pack -- I'm not sure where it was found but I would *assume* to her side, simply based on the belly shot and how the pack belt was closed.

I *love* the OSL angle. That seems so likely. I have a lot of pairs of glasses and wear contacts, and they all get weird wear patterns that affect the letters. It's entirely possible to me that it looked like a C instead. And it fits with her upper scale clothing. Unfortunately, that takes away from the french/Belgium angle. Any news yet on her DNA sample?

I *love* the OSL angle. That seems so likely. I have a lot of pairs of glasses and wear contacts, and they all get weird wear patterns that affect the letters. It's entirely possible to me that it looked like a C instead. And it fits with her upper scale clothing. Unfortunately, that takes away from the french/Belgium angle. Any news yet on her DNA sample?

The Oscar de la Renta glasses I've seen all have just an "O" on the side, but perhaps they had a different marking in the '80s and '90s. I wish we could see the marking on her glasses because it seems likely that it wasn't "CSL" at all but OSL or even something else. I can't find *anything* online to support even older brands of glasses with a CSL mark.

The glasses probably are not Oscar de la Renta. I found a pair of vintage Oscar glasses on ebay that clearly show the markings inside of the arms. The brand name is spelled out.

ETA: I feel like there has to be more than CSL printed inside of the glasses. I've looked at countless 1980's 1970's pairs on eBay and Etsy and even the non-designer glasses have print on both arms. I attached a few examples.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 10.26.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 10.26.45 AM.png
    816.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 10.36.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 10.36.53 AM.png
    482.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 10.36.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 10.36.20 AM.png
    947.8 KB · Views: 16
Delurking here to post some thoughts on the Belgium and eyeglasses connections since I know Annandale pretty well. First, this is an area where there are a lot of American Foreign Service and military employees and dependents. Many rotate through for short periods of time between overseas postings. Someone with a long career in the FS would be familiar with the area but never lived there for very long at one stretch and wouldn't have family there. It might still be a place where loved ones were buried or just a place with pleasant memories that one might seek out in a time of trouble.

Also, someone who was posted to Belgium in the past may have bought eyeglasses there. A FS posting would usually last at least a couple of years. Not so much in the 1990s but earlier than that, maybe as late as the late 1980s, Americans traveling in Europe even on short trips often bought eyeglasses there because the quality of the lenses was so good, especially in Germany. You couldn't get anything comparable to them in the US, but it's possible the the better quality lenses were available in Belgium.

Hi,

I just checked my glasses (I have four pairs because I'm a closet diva). They're around 3-4 years old, and two of them have the writing on the inside worn off already. On another you can't read it because of a hair dye mishap. Hers might have worn off, too--if it's just printed and not engraved, simple use can erode it pretty quick.

I'm still musing over the angle of the girl who died in 1989 that Pokey brought up. There has to be a way to figure out if she died in a car accident. If I were writing this as a novel, that's the way I'd write it.

Hi,

I just checked my glasses (I have four pairs because I'm a closet diva). They're around 3-4 years old, and two of them have the writing on the inside worn off already. On another you can't read it because of a hair dye mishap. Hers might have worn off, too--if it's just printed and not engraved, simple use can erode it pretty quick.

I'm still musing over the angle of the girl who died in 1989 that Pokey brought up. There has to be a way to figure out if she died in a car accident. If I were writing this as a novel, that's the way I'd write it.
De-lurking to say that I can't find any mention of a 9-year old girl being killed in a car accident on that date in a news archive search, and you'd think that such a thing would have made the local papers. According to the obituary published at Find-a-Grave, she died on December 18th, and was buried at a service held at noon on the 20th--a day and a half later, which is a pretty short period of time. Also, the obituary says, "[BRB] was a former student at Armstrong Elementary..." Not "a student, but "a former student." That makes me think that she had a terminal illness that meant she eventually had to withdraw from school as it progressed. The day-and-a-half from death to burial also makes me think that perhaps the death was not unexpected, and arrangements had been at least partially in place at the time of death, which would also fit in with a terminal illness. (The exception being if the family belonged to a religion which mandates burial within a certain amount of time after death.) Also, if she'd been in a car wreck, at 9 years old she likely would have been in the car with her family--but if it was severe enough to kill one passenger, it seems someone else would have been injured enough to be in the hospital still, in which case they wouldn't be having the service so soon. (Barring a religious mandate.) If she wasn't with her family, she either would have been in a car driven by a friend's parent, or a pedestrian/on a bike when hit...both of which would have made the papers, I'd think. And the obit would usually say "died as a result of injuries sustained..." A terminal disease, or maybe an accident at home, might not be something the family would want in an obituary. (And if it was as a result of a terminal disease, presumably those who knew the family would already be aware of the circumstances.)

I don't think it's that odd that BRB and Jane Doe both died on December 18th, especially since the years aren't the same. The odder thing, I think, is if there is only one person in that cemetery who died on December 18th. There's a finite number of days in a year, but a theoretically infinite number of people who might wander into a cemetery, and/or commit suicide on a given day, so coincidences like that will happen. I once went on one of those "History Walks" in a local cemetery, and happened to notice a headstone of a woman who had the same first and middle name as me, and my exact date of birth, year and everything. Threw me for a loop for the rest of the day. It's a local cemetery, so I suppose I could possibly be buried there one day, and then our matching names and birthdates will be a weird coincidence for someone to ponder--

PS: O/T, but while searching for news articles or obituaries for BRB, I came across the obituary/death announcement for B. F. Skinner. That was pretty interesting--

This Doe network page for Shirley Sprang says something about "may have scarring on both arms from psoriasis." Is there any mention of scars and/or skin conditions with Jane Doe? I don't know anything about psoriasis--is it something that could have gone away? (Of course, it's just a "may have," not a definite.)

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3230dfwi.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members