Found Deceased VA - Brent Gibson, 26, Roanoke County, 3 March 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bring Brent Home

No new posts since yesterday, however admin has been responding to comments under yesterday’s post.
Some info shared from admin:
•he usually never left work during lunch
•his truck was operational (not broken down)
•the driver’s seat was in it’s usually position
•the woods around the area are being searched also

Bring Brent Home

We’d like to thank the members of Roanoke County Fire and Rescue, Scruggs Fire and Rescue Dive Team, Department of Wildlife Conservation, Blue Ridge Bloodhounds, Bedford Militia, and especially the local team from the US Park Service for all of your hard work today!

Unfortunately, the water conditions made it too dangerous for the dive team to finish the day, but it was an impressive operation to watch.

It’s been a long nine days and although Brent hasn’t been found, we’re not giving up hope.

We need to decompress and regroup, so we won’t be having any volunteer searches this weekend. Please know how grateful we are for your support and words of encouragement.
2764.png
1f64f.png

Missing Pieces Network

3-9-21 Roanoke County Fire and Rescue teams, along with members of the Virginia Conservation Police, National Park Service, and volunteers searched today by land and air for any sign of Brent. Search efforts occurred along the corridor from the Roanoke River Overlook to Hardy Road. Unfortunately, today’s searches yielded no findings related to Brent’s disappearance.

The water temperature was 45 degrees and the water level continues to decrease. It’s our hope that this will help with other searches this week.

We’d like to thank everyone for their continued prayer and support.

3-8-21 The water level has dropped significantly over the past couple of days making the search terrain easier to navigate. We’re pleased to report that drones and a swift water team will be on hand tomorrow to renew their search efforts.

3-7-21 A Facebook page has been setup for updates and information on Brent’s case. Bring Brent Home

3-6-21 There’s currently a search taking place for Brent on the Blue Ridge Parkway in the area where his truck was found. We have another group of volunteers heading out at 1:00 this afternoon.

It appears that are regularly updating information; updates are found in the post itself & in the comments.

I worked in a plant for many years. And I know that there were some people who NEVER went out for lunch. Some of them only got 30 mins and they would want to be able to leave early.
Was Brent seeing anyone? I know areas like that are places where people tend to meet up with someone. Could something have happened with an encounter such as that?
If the family was convinced it was suicide I don't think they would have set up a Facebook page to help find him.

I worked in a plant for many years. And I know that there were some people who NEVER went out for lunch. Some of them only got 30 mins and they would want to be able to leave early.
Was Brent seeing anyone? I know areas like that are places where people tend to meet up with someone. Could something have happened with an encounter such as that?
If the family was convinced it was suicide I don't think they would have set up a Facebook page to help find him.

The family has expressed that they are not convinced he committed suicide. This isn’t to say that’s the case or not. IMO, it’s a tough area for family. On one hand, family usually are the ones who know the missing person better than anyone...but a lot of times family doesn’t want it to be suicide and refuses to ‘entertain’ that theory altogether. Again MOO.
I honestly don’t know which way I’m leaning. I just pray there are answers and Brent is found soon.

I normally would not find it unusual to leave work for lunch unless it was something someone would not normally do as in this case, per your post.
I havent found that post yet on his FB but I just started reading thru everything.

I can say that 5-10 years ago I worked in a place that had an hour lunch. I would go to a couple different fishing holes or just want to get out and get some changing scenery. I don't know if this young man's lunch was 30 mins or an hour.

I would like to know if the truck was locked, where were the keys or key fob? I would have locked up to fish every time. There are some suspicious things here if Keys, Phone, wallet, etc were left in an unlocked truck that didn't have any problems then there are a few scenarios including, mental health changed and he walked away, met someone there and left with them (willingly or unwillingly) or someone else put the truck there.

It sounds like an excellent search was done so far. Did he have anything for sale on FB marketplace, craigslist or newspapers?

Bring Brent Home

DAY 11:
AEP cut the water (power) from the dam 30 mins so search teams could scour the water and land.
(•Note: there are photos shared with post of the water BEFORE the power was cut and the bottom of river AFTERWARDS.)
The kayak team searched 3 miles down Rutrough River. The land search team made their way up river from Journey’s End to the bridge.

ETA: In the comments under this post, admin shared that officials have looked at all the “flow” charts in seeing how the water currents flow where they’re searching.

Last edited:
One if the comments in the Missing Pieces or Bring Brent Home FB said that he ate his lunch before he left. I wonder if he told his supervisor he was leaving for the day? I also wonder if he owns a gun.
One explanation for the phone and keys left in the truck is that he could've been meeting someone to talk about something important and jumped in their car thinking keys and phone wouldn't be necessary.
MOO

I am from this area & all of this is giving me some of the same vibes as what happened with the Chad Austin case.. hopefully LE is checking into that & if both these fellas may have had contact with the same people/person....
MOO

Can anyone think of cases where a phone, keys and belongings were left in a vehicle, and it ended up not being suicide? I want to be respectful and hopeful but it’s not looking good. If anyone can think of a case, it might give us something else to consider. I feel so bad for his family.
Yes, the Madison Bell case. She was later found safe. She just wanted to leave her old life behind. Missing 18-year-old’s keys, cellphone found in car, sheriff says

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...adison-bell-found-safe-ohio-missing-teen/amp/

Bring Brent Home

Day 12
We wish we had more of an update to make. Brent is still missing and our hearts break even more every day he’s missing.

We’re going to address a question that many have asked: if he’s in the river, why hasn’t he been found yet?
It’s painful to imagine Brent being in the river, but if that ends up being the case, these pics can help to explain why he may not have been found yet. (Pics are included with post at link)

The river is full of undercut rocks along the banks and in the middle of the river. Debris, branches and other objects from upstream often get caught under these rocks until something dislodges them. You can also see large piles of debris, logs and fallen trees that form along the river bank. These act as a strainer that objects can get caught in. Objects in the water are constantly being moved around depending on the conditions.

Without going into too much detail, there are charts and tables that predict when a person in the water may surface and begin to move in the water. They take into account a variety of factors including a person’s weight, body composition, water temperature, wind speed, river currents, etc.

If we could control nature, the river would be completely empty so that we could have answers. Unfortunately, we’re at the mercy of the river and the weather.

Tomorrow is another day and we are doing our best to remain hopeful.

Bring Brent Home

Under the Day 11 post, admin shared the following update:
•There’s only one exit from the parking lot
•His phone records have been seen.
•Police have done a subpoena for other records.
•Everyone he had contact with has been interviewed.
•As of today, foul play is not suspected.

•They have reviewed footage of him leaving work; he was alone.

•The possibility that Brent wasn’t in the area & someone else left his truck there was initially looked into, however there is reason to believe he was in the area.

Maybe this is just me and I can’t explain why, but does it strike anyone as odd that he would eat his lunch before leaving work and then go off to commit suicide?

I guess if it was done acting on impulse alone, and not planned and thought out ahead of time, but this just feels off to me. I have lost 2 people to suicide, and both had planned their deaths, as well as how, when and by whom they were found.

Bring Brent Home
16 Mar 2021
We’re sharing a new flyer with an accurate description (and photos) of the clothing that Brent was last seen wearing when he left work on March 3rd.

Brent’s height has been listed on other pages and in the media as anywhere from 6’1” - 6’5”. He is actually 6’2”, 240 lbs., with hazel eyes and brown hair. He has a slight facial tic. He was last seen wearing khaki-colored AE chinos, a royal blue and yellow Golden State Warriors zip-up hoodie, steel toed work boots, and a black baseball hat with a white Hurley logo.

We remind everyone that investigations are fluid and information initially provided might not be completely accurate. This is common because emotions are high and the information is relayed quickly when a report is made.

Blue Ridge Parkway Law Enforcement rangers are asking anyone who may have seen or talked to Brent, seen his Chevy Colorado, or who has dashcam video of the overlook area from between noon and 3 p.m. on Wednesday, March 3rd to call Parkway Dispatch at 828-298-2491.
We thank everyone for your kind words and continued prayers.

161327305_109272134572101_8378516885073939989_o.jpg

Maybe this is just me and I can’t explain why, but does it strike anyone as odd that he would eat his lunch before leaving work and then go off to commit suicide?

I guess if it was done acting on impulse alone, and not planned and thought out ahead of time, but this just feels off to me. I have lost 2 people to suicide, and both had planned their deaths, as well as how, when and by whom they were found.
IMO- it's difficult to predict how or when a person will take their life, once the decision is made. Sounds like Brent's family does believe it's a real possibility now, initally they didn't. My thoughts are with them as they wait :(

@cutter99 I'm sorry for your loss too, warm hugs.

I'm sorry for your losses.

In the unidentified forum, we've seen cases of carefully planned suicides like you describe, to passive ones where somebody walked out into the woods in the winter waiting to die, to what appear to be completely impulsive decisions where they're walking along a busy highway and throw themselves in front of a truck. Many have gone to great lengths to hide their identity so their families won't be distressed.

So while some patterns may be more common than others, I don't think we can generalize for everybody.

In this case, if suicide was on his mind, maybe the triggering event happened after he ate lunch, or maybe he didn't want anybody to know what he was planning. Or who knows.

In my mind, I still haven't ruled out that something made him think he had to go out to clear his head, and he had some kind of accident, like a fall.

Can anyone think of cases where a phone, keys and belongings were left in a vehicle, and it ended up not being suicide? I want to be respectful and hopeful but it’s not looking good. If anyone can think of a case, it might give us something else to consider. I feel so bad for his family.
@Jaydaye mentioned Chad Austin upthread. Chad's dog and I think his keys were in the car, his was wallet found later. He met with foul play at Panther Falls, a park in VA.
MOO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tb3