GUILTY VA - Capt. Kevin Quick, 45, abducted & murdered, Afton, 31 Jan 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wonder if these are people who somehow knew about the severance. They held onto him over the weekend so that he could access his bank account? Or they did not know him, and he said he would get that money for them .... in a desperate attempt to stay alive.

Could there be any connections to the mother of the baby.... NOT pointing fingers here, just thinking out loud....

All my own .02

RIP Captain Quick

I know we cant talk about others but I have googled the baby's mother and she has a pretty good job so I dont think shes thugish. Her name was released in one of the first stories of the case.

ETA- people did say her apt wasnt in the best neighborhood though. I didnt find her on facebook to see if she had any connections to the first 3 charged.

This is crazy!!! 6 already arrested, but more to come. One of the men arrested in this last trio has tattoos on his face. Doesn't that usually mean gang related? Teardrops means number killed? Or is that just fiction? Mr Quick...so very sorry for your death. I'm thankful that even in your death, thugs are being taken off the street in your honor!!

I pray one of these people have DNA that matches who killed Morgan Harrington! I know, wishful thinking, but the areas mentioned aren't that far from where Morgan was found. And I doubt this is their first crime!

I spent some time looking at the charges to try and see whether I could get a better sense of what may have happened. The arrest warrants for all three suspects list three VA criminal statutes -- § 18.2-31 (capital murder), § 18.2-18 (principles in the second degree), and § 18.2-48 (abduction) -- so I took a closer look at those.

§ 18.2-18. How principals in second degree and accessories before the fact punished.
In the case of every felony, every principal in the second degree and every accessory before the fact may be indicted, tried, convicted and punished in all respects as if a principal in the first degree; provided, however, that except in the case of a killing for hire under the provisions of subdivision 2 of § 18.2-31 or a killing pursuant to the direction or order of one who is engaged in a continuing criminal enterprise under the provisions of subdivision 10 of § 18.2-31 or a killing pursuant to the direction or order of one who is engaged in the commission of or attempted commission of an act of terrorism under the provisions of subdivision 13 of § 18.2-31, an accessory before the fact or principal in the second degree to a capital murder shall be indicted, tried, convicted and punished as though the offense were murder in the first degree.

What I immediately noticed was that principles in the second degree to a capital murder should be charged with first degree murder instead of capital murder unless it fell within one of three exceptions. Here, the three suspects seem to be charged with § 18.2-31, which is capital murder, so it would seem that one of the exceptions must apply. Here are the three "types" of capital murder that are exceptions:

§ 18.2-31. Capital murder defined; punishment.
Subsection 2. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any person by another for hire;
Subsection 10. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any person by another pursuant to the direction or order of one who is engaged in a continuing criminal enterprise as defined in subsection I of § 18.2-248;
Subsection 13. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any person by another in the commission of or attempted commission of an act of terrorism as defined in § 18.2-46.4;

Notably, the killing of a police officer (which would at first glance seem to be a reason for this case involving capital murder) is a type of capital murder that is not one of the exceptions:
Subsection 6. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of a law-enforcement officer as defined in § 9.1-101, a fire marshal appointed pursuant to § 27-30 or a deputy or an assistant fire marshal appointed pursuant to § 27-36, when such fire marshal or deputy or assistant fire marshal has police powers as set forth in §§ 27-34.2 and 27-34.2:1, an auxiliary police officer appointed or provided for pursuant to §§ 15.2-1731 and 15.2-1733, an auxiliary deputy sheriff appointed pursuant to § 15.2-1603, or any law-enforcement officer of another state or the United States having the power to arrest for a felony under the laws of such state or the United States, when such killing is for the purpose of interfering with the performance of his official duties;

Even stranger to me, the other VA statute listed in the arrest warrants was § 18.2-48, which deals with abductions. Which is listed as one basis for a capital murder charge (see below) - but only for the principle in the first degree, as it is also not one of the three exceptions.
Subsection 1. The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any person in the commission of abduction, as defined in § 18.2-48, when such abduction was committed with the intent to extort money or a pecuniary benefit or with the intent to defile the victim of such abduction;

Here is the abduction statute just for reference:
§ 18.2-48. Abduction with intent to extort money or for immoral purpose.
Abduction (i) of any person with the intent to extort money or pecuniary benefit, (ii) of any person with intent to defile such person, (iii) of any child under sixteen years of age for the purpose of concubinage or prostitution, (iv) of any person for the purpose of prostitution, or (v) of any minor for the purpose of manufacturing child *advertiser censored* shall be punishable as a Class 2 felony. If the sentence imposed for a violation of (ii), (iii), (iv), or (v) includes a term of confinement less than life imprisonment, the judge shall impose, in addition to any active sentence, a suspended sentence of no less than 40 years. This suspended sentence shall be suspended for the remainder of the defendant's life subject to revocation by the court.

OKAY - so if you are still with me, here is why I went through all of that. The two types of capital murder (police officer and abduction) that I expected to be the basis for the capital murder charge appear to NOT be able to be the basis for the charges against the three recently arrested individuals because they are charged as principles in the second degree. Thus, one of the exceptions must apply and figuring out which exception is involved could help us understand what happened. For simplicity, lets call them (1) "for hire" murder, (2) "criminal enterprise" murder, and (3) "terrorist" murder.

So breaking each of those down...

"For hire" murder = "the willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any person by another for hire"

"Criminal enterprise" murder = "the willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any person by another pursuant to the direction or order of one who is engaged in a continuing criminal enterprise as defined in subsection I of § 18.2-248"

For reference, subsection I of § 18.2-248 states:
I. For purposes of this section, a person is engaged in a continuing criminal enterprise if (i) he violates any provision of this section, the punishment for which is a felony and either (ii) such violation is a part of a continuing series of violations of this section which are undertaken by such person in concert with five or more other persons with respect to whom such person occupies a position of organizer, a supervisory position, or any other position of management, and from which such person obtains substantial income or resources or (iii) such violation is committed, with respect to methamphetamine or other controlled substance classified in Schedule I or II, for the benefit of, at the direction of, or in association with any criminal street gang as defined in § 18.2-46.1.

"Terrorist" murder= "The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any person by another in the commission of or attempted commission of an act of terrorism as defined in § 18.2-46.4"

For reference, § 18.2-46.4 states:
"Act of terrorism" means an act of violence as defined in clause (i) of subdivision A of § 19.2-297.1 committed with the intent to (i) intimidate the civilian population at large; or (ii) influence the conduct or activities of the government of the United States, a state or locality through intimidation.

NOW - assuming that LE didn't charge the three with capital murder when they shouldn't have, one of these three types of capital murder are involved and, IMO, give us a more focused picture of the possibilities for what happened to Kevin. Since I am still considering them, I don't have a theory to share yet. But I wanted to get this typed up so others could work with it as well.

Thoughts?

I think the least likely is probably (3) terrorism. I'm leaning towards (2) because it's highly possible they were affiliated with some kind of street gang / sale of drugs / making a substantial income from the sale of drugs etc. I'd be shocked if it was (1) or (3). MOO

Excellent post btw! Thanks for digging up those laws.

quicksuspects2_296.jpg

Hasili Uhuru, Anthony Stokes Jr. and Leslie Casterlow. Photos: Henrico County Sheriff's Office

"(WJLA) - Three more people have been arrested in connection with the disappearance of Waynesboro Reserve Police Officer, Kevin Quick.

According to the Virginia State Police, Leslie Casterlow, Anthony Stokes Jr. and Hasili Uhuru are all being held in association with Quick's disappearance. They've been charged with principle in 2nd degree to the crime of murder. Stokes and Casterlow are from Manassas. Uhuru is from southwest Virginia."

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/02/three-more-arrested-in-officer-kevin-quick-case-99995.html

There are just far too many people here. So do we think the first 3 abducted him, kept his car, gave him to the last 3 who later killed him while the first 3 were off shooting people at a super bowl party in his car?

In my mind Kevin Quick is a hero that sacrificed his life in "the line of duty". So far 6 criminals have been rounded up and charged and it looks like there may be more arrests. Getting these thugs off the street is paramount and Kevin, unfortunately through his sacrifice, has helped make Northern Virginia safer.

I hope that since this investigation seems so widespread, more thugs will be rounded up and charged. It doesn't matter how peripheral they are to the murder of Captain Quick, they need to go down. Kevin made the ultimate sacrifice for the greater good. That is a HERO in my book. JMV

Yes, he is a hero. Thank you for saying this. I had the very same conversation with my family last night. It could have been a mother with her small children that pulled into that parking lot that night. More innocent people could be dead. There will be justice for Kevin with the final people are arrested. He may not be here, but he is helping this investigation.

Thank you again. He will be a hero forever in my heart.

The spot is just a few miles from Fork Union, where Quick's vehicle was seen after he disappeared, last week. The SUV was eventually discovered in Louisa Monday. Court documents reveal evidence recovered inside the car include rubber gloves, hair, fingerprints and a box of cigarettes with a green leafy substance inside…
http://www.nbc12.com/story/24657967/sources-police-reserve-captain-shot-more-arrests-coming

From this link:

"The body was found down an old logging road in a muddy field. The group Waterloo Hunters leases the property and says the land is only used for hunting.

They thought no one had set foot here since early January and were surprised to hear the body was found here."

3262086_G.jpg

http://www.nbc12.com/story/24657967/sources-police-reserve-captain-shot-more-arrests-coming

While sleuthing I came across a variation of Mersadies Sheltons name on FB. I'm pretty sure its her from the pics. Anyway, probably not connected but I was surprised to scroll through her pics and find Alexis Murphys pic that she posted in Aug. I searched her friends and they werent friends.

While sleuthing I came across a variation of Mersadies Sheltons name on FB. I'm pretty sure its her from the pics. Anyway, probably not connected but I was surprised to scroll through her pics and find Alexis Murphys pic that she posted in Aug. I searched her friends and they werent friends.

Wow*! What was the context? Was it Alexis' missing person poster, or what?

Maybe there is a guy with dreadlocks / cornrows after all...makes you wonder!!!

Did any of these people know RAT?!

Wow*! What was the context? Was it Alexis' missing person poster, or what?

Maybe there is a guy with dreadlocks / cornrows after all...makes you wonder!!!

Did any of these people know RAT?!

Its just a pic of AM and was posted on Aug 8 so 5 days after she went missing. There are no comments or captions. I looked and looked but dont see any other connection so it was probably a 'support pic'? Still an odd thing to come across!

It was this pic: (just the pic-no news info)
http://www.ncmissingpersons.org/alexis-murphy/alexis-murphy-2-2/

Can you please link the fb page? Thank you! I'm still very interested in this!!!!!!!!!!! I've always wondered about RAT possibly having an accomplice!!!!!!!!!!!!! (not saying its MS, but maybe someone she knows or someone connected to KWQ's case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

(Wow, wouldn't that be awesome if someone talked about information about Alexis's whereabouts!!!!!!!!!!!)

I spent some time looking at the charges to try and see whether I could get a better sense of what may have happened. The arrest warrants for all three suspects list three VA criminal statutes -- § 18.2-31 (capital murder), § 18.2-18 (principles in the second degree), and § 18.2-48 (abduction) -- so I took a closer look at those.

§ 18.2-18. How principals in second degree and accessories before the fact punished.

What I immediately noticed was that principles in the second degree to a capital murder should be charged with first degree murder instead of capital murder unless it fell within one of three exceptions. Here, the three suspects seem to be charged with § 18.2-31, which is capital murder, so it would seem that one of the exceptions must apply. Here are the three "types" of capital murder that are exceptions:

§ 18.2-31. Capital murder defined; punishment.

Notably, the killing of a police officer (which would at first glance seem to be a reason for this case involving capital murder) is a type of capital murder that is not one of the exceptions:

Even stranger to me, the other VA statute listed in the arrest warrants was § 18.2-48, which deals with abductions. Which is listed as one basis for a capital murder charge (see below) - but only for the principle in the first degree, as it is also not one of the three exceptions.

Here is the abduction statute just for reference:

OKAY - so if you are still with me, here is why I went through all of that. The two types of capital murder (police officer and abduction) that I expected to be the basis for the capital murder charge appear to NOT be able to be the basis for the charges against the three recently arrested individuals because they are charged as principles in the second degree. Thus, one of the exceptions must apply and figuring out which exception is involved could help us understand what happened. For simplicity, lets call them (1) "for hire" murder, (2) "criminal enterprise" murder, and (3) "terrorist" murder.

So breaking each of those down...

"For hire" murder = "the willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any person by another for hire"

"Criminal enterprise" murder = "the willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any person by another pursuant to the direction or order of one who is engaged in a continuing criminal enterprise as defined in subsection I of § 18.2-248"

For reference, subsection I of § 18.2-248 states:

"Terrorist" murder= "The willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing of any person by another in the commission of or attempted commission of an act of terrorism as defined in § 18.2-46.4"

For reference, § 18.2-46.4 states:

NOW - assuming that LE didn't charge the three with capital murder when they shouldn't have, one of these three types of capital murder are involved and, IMO, give us a more focused picture of the possibilities for what happened to Kevin. Since I am still considering them, I don't have a theory to share yet. But I wanted to get this typed up so others could work with it as well.

Thoughts?

Since they were charged as such: PRINCIPLE 2ND DEGREE - CAPITAL MURDER: DURING ABDUCT, I don't think the three exceptions apply and can be ruled out.

All three charges can be seen online at http://epwsgdp1.courts.state.va.us/gdcourts/
County: Goochland

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back